Canada's Men Hockey Team

JoeLassister

I think it's about time to start to talk about it.

I'll start with Mens Hockey Team Canada 2010 :

Forwards

Patrice Bergeron, L'Ancienne-Lorette, Que. (Boston Bruins)

Sidney Crosby, Cole Harbour, N.S. (Pittsburgh Penguins) Alternate captain

Ryan Getzlaf, Regina, Sask. (Anaheim Ducks)

Dany Heatley, Calgary, Alta. (San Jose Sharks)

Jarome Iginla, St. Albert, Alta. (Calgary Flames) Alternate captain

Patrick Marleau, Aneroid Sask. (San Jose Sharks)

Brenden Morrow, Carlyle, Sask. (Dallas Stars)

Rick Nash, Brampton, Ont. (Columbus Blue Jackets)

Mike Richards, Kenora, Ont. (Philadelphia Flyers)

Corey Perry, Peterborough, Ont. (Anaheim Ducks)

Eric Staal, Thunder Bay, Ont. (Carolina Hurricanes)

Joe Thornton, St. Thomas, Ont. (San Jose Sharks)

Jonathan Toews, Winnipeg, Man. (Chicago Blackhawks)

Defence

Dan Boyle, Ottawa, Ont. (San Jose Sharks)

Drew Doughty, Ottawa, Ont. (LA Kings)

Duncan Keith, Penticton, B.C. (Chicago Blackhawks)

Scott Niedermayer, Cranbrook, B.C. (Anaheim Ducks) - Captain

Chris Pronger, Dryden, Ont. (Philadelphia Flyers) - Alternate captain

Brent Seabrook, Tsawwassen, B.C. (Chicago Blackhawks)

Shea Weber, Sicamous, B.C. (Nashville Predators)

Goalies

Roberto Luongo, Montreal, Que. (Vancouver Canucks)

Martin Brodeur, Montreal, Que. (New Jersey Devils)

Marc-Andre Fleury, Sorel, Que. (Pittsburgh Penguins)

Will be interesting to see the lines / duos / starting goalie.

Sources :

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/news...html?cid=rsstsn

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/288959.html

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured he wouldn't make it this time around, but it's weird not to see Ryan Smyth on Team Canada. He's been my favourite non-habs for ages now.

In Stevie Y we Trust!

I never really thought he had a chance.

Notable guys that missed the team along with Smyth:

Vincent Lecavalier

Steve Stamkos

Martin St Louis

Jeff Carter

Jason Spezza

Mike Cammalleri

Dion Phaneuf

Jay Bouwmeester

Robyn Regher

Josh Gorges

Cam Ward

It's too bad Canada can't have a second team. They'd have a chance of beating even the first team.

Vincent Lecavalier

Steve Stamkos

Martin St Louis

Jeff Carter

Jason Spezza

Mike Cammalleri

Dion Phaneuf

Jay Bouwmeester

Robyn Regher

Josh Gorges

Cam Ward

It's too bad Canada can't have a second team. They'd have a chance of beating even the first team.

:lol:

Vincent Lecavalier

Steve Stamkos

Martin St Louis

Jeff Carter

Jason Spezza

Mike Cammalleri

Dion Phaneuf

Jay Bouwmeester

Robyn Regher

Josh Gorges

Cam Ward

There is no question in my mind that Phaneuf and Bouwmeester should be on the team...

There are also way too many C's on the club...a couple of natural Wingers would have been nice. I realise a lot of C's will/can play LW but I think this team has ignored some quality LW and RW players in favour of C's who may not be as able to play out of position, with new line-mates, in such a short term. Guys like Cammalleri, St. Louis, Penner,

For what it's worth, I would have left off Morrow (why does this guy get so overrated??), Bergeron, Staal, Seabrook and Weber...and replaced them with: Cammalleri, St. Louis, Phaneuf and Bouwmeester. Those 4 guys are outperforming the guys they are replacing. Phaneuf is young, so if "youth" getting experience for the future is a concern then it still makes sense to replace Seabrook with Phaneuf. The age differences between the others is not significant enough to be a concern.

I expect Morrow and Bergeron to be the 3rd and 4th line LWers and one of Staal/Toews is likely to be in the press box with one of Weber/Seabrook...so it may not seem like much to complain about but why wouldn't we fans want to see us ice the best team possible?

There is no question in my mind that Phaneuf and Bouwmeester should be on the team...

There are also way too many C's on the club...a couple of natural Wingers would have been nice. I realise a lot of C's will/can play LW but I think this team has ignored some quality LW and RW players in favour of C's who may not be as able to play out of position, with new line-mates, in such a short term. Guys like Cammalleri, St. Louis, Penner,

For what it's worth, I would have left off Morrow (why does this guy get so overrated??), Bergeron, Staal, Seabrook and Weber...and replaced them with: Cammalleri, St. Louis, Phaneuf and Bouwmeester. Those 4 guys are outperforming the guys they are replacing. Phaneuf is young, so if "youth" getting experience for the future is a concern then it still makes sense to replace Seabrook with Phaneuf. The age differences between the others is not significant enough to be a concern.

I expect Morrow and Bergeron to be the 3rd and 4th line LWers and one of Staal/Toews is likely to be in the press box with one of Weber/Seabrook...so it may not seem like much to complain about but why wouldn't we fans want to see us ice the best team possible?

IMO, Morrow is a lock for the shutdown/H&G line. He's not overrated at all in this role.

And I just don't like Phaneuf, but I guess it's just me. I'm surprised to see both Seabrook and Weber there.

The surprising pick for me is Bergeron instead of St-Louis.

I also don't see why Morrow gets chosen ahead of Doan, Cammalleri, St. Louis, Smyth, et. al.

Bergeron's a good two-way player, but so is everyone else on the team.

The biggest surprise for me is Doughty, who I would have replaced with Bouwmeester or Mike Green.

But almost no matter the combination, this is a near-perfect team and should win Gold.

I'm surprised people questioning Weber. He was in shoe-in in my books. I think he's better than every other defensemen on the team aside from maybe Niedermayer.

I'm satisfied with the team but I think Stamkos should have been in over Bergeron. JayBo and Phaneuf could easily be on the team but I think the guys that are there will get the job done. Obviously Stevie put more thought into it than any of us anyways.

The lines will be tough to make I think. I think it would be wise to go with the Nash-Getzlaf-Heatley line since they were downright dominant before, but you could also have Marleau-Thorton-Heatley as well. And then who does Crosby play with?

Edited by ForumGhost

I'm surprised people questioning Weber. He was in shoe-in in my books. I think he's better than every other defensemen on the team aside from maybe Niedermayer.

I'm satisfied with the team but I think Stamkos should have been in over Bergeron. JayBo and Phaneuf could easily be on the team but I think the guys that are there will get the job done. Obviously Stevie put more thought into it than any of us anyways.

The lines will be tough to make I think. I think it would be wise to go with the Nash-Getzlaf-Heatley line since they were downright dominant before, but you could also have Marleau-Thorton-Heatley as well. And then who does Crosby play with?

Iginla - Crosby - Nash is a lock.

Heatley - Thornton - Marleau should be good to go too.

Staal - Getzlaf - Perry

Morrow - Richards - Bergeron shutdown line

Toews

That would be my lineup.

Ryan Malone, Ryan Kesler, Ryan Callahan, David Backes and no Gomez-Gionta ???

Burkie's just looking for another version of the Ducks/Leafs/suck...

I will never understand why people are still so high on Phanuef. His regression since the Norris nomination has been astronomical. He had his worst season offensively last year and is on pace to do even worse this year. His defensive play is atrocious and his hits can always go one way or the other with the refs. I do not like Phanuef at all, glad he didn't make the team.

My one change would've been Bouwmeester over Seabrook but I get that Yzerman wanted the Keith/Seabrook chemistry so I won't complain too much. It's been a treat to watch J-Bo this often though.

I will never understand why people are still so high on Phanuef. His regression since the Norris nomination has been astronomical. He had his worst season offensively last year and is on pace to do even worse this year. His defensive play is atrocious and his hits can always go one way or the other with the refs. I do not like Phanuef at all, glad he didn't make the team.

My one change would've been Bouwmeester over Seabrook but I get that Yzerman wanted the Keith/Seabrook chemistry so I won't complain too much. It's been a treat to watch J-Bo this often though.

Same here. My Facebook status on dec 30th was something like "Yeah, ###### Phaneuf!". This guy is Komi 2.0.

And my changes would have been Bouwmeester over not Seabrook but Doughty + St-Louis over Bergeron.

At this point, having an Olympic noob like Doughty as the backup D is a non sense, IMHO.

Same here. My Facebook status on dec 30th was something like "Yeah, ###### Phaneuf!". This guy is Komi 2.0.

And my changes would have been Bouwmeester over not Seabrook but Doughty + St-Louis over Bergeron.

At this point, having an Olympic noob like Doughty as the backup D is a non sense, IMHO.

I see this working as the same way the Americans taking Quick over Anderson from the Avs. Getting a young guy whos gonna play a big part in the future of the program some international experience.

Doughty is really good. He'll be able to handle himself, don't worry about that.

Edited by jetsniper

I see this working as the same way the Americans taking Quick over Anderson from the Avs. Getting a young guy whos gonna play a big part in the future of the program some international experience.

Doughty is really good. He'll be able to handle himself, don't worry about that.

I don't really think the 7th dman is the same as a 3rd goalie though. One dman gets injured and Doughty is on. Miller or Thomas gets injured and still no Anderson...

I know Doughty is really good, but I still question why he's in over JayBo.

• 1 month later...

Stamkos is good but the more I think about it, the more I think they made the right choices with their centers. Stamkos is an offence machine, but I have yet to be convinced he can be the 'full package' (at his age) that characterizes almost all the other players on the team.

Stamkos is good but the more I think about it, the more I think they made the right choices with their centers. Stamkos is an offence machine, but I have yet to be convinced he can be the 'full package' (at his age) that characterizes almost all the other players on the team.

I didn't say he should be on the team instead of someone else. Just that he'd be the best injury replacement. Apparently it's gonna be Jeff Carter anyway so whatever. Iggy better play at a different level then he has this season though because he's been almost a detriment the last couple of months.

Preliminary Round

Feb. 16 CAN - NOR

Feb. 18 SUI - CAN

Feb. 21 CAN - USA

Getting close!!! Hopefully Canada will pull it out!

Canada shoud win those 3 games

I'm also looking forward to watching Russia and Sweden