Canada's Men Hockey Team

JoeLassister

Hehe I argue with my friend at work all the time about this, it's quite fun. We need to make a thread for 2014 Olympic roster! Haha have everyone make a roster, and see whos correct in four years!

Edited by bar

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old nationalism VS internationalism debate. Again... politics, or more accurately, political philosophy. You'll never get anyone to change their political beliefs, so we should just stick to hockey.

Bringing back the closest poll ever on Habsworld.net !

http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?show...=14843&st=0

Sure would. The athletes would just represent themselves.

So team sports are out the window?

Canadians have never been as patriotic as they were yesterday. Since when do we go around waving flags, breaking out in the most boring anthem in existence, and generally acting with all the self-assuredness of a country like the States? I've never seen that. Not even when the last referendum brought people together to try to convince Quebec to stay. Hockey, and these Olympics in general, have done more to unify this country than has any political gesture.

First of all, Canada's anthem is awesome. I like it better than my own. Second, I think you underestimate your country's patriotism. Just as an example, I always hear Canadian fans belting out the national anthem at hockey games. I can't remember ever hearing that from American sports. Heck, even in Columbus the couple thousand Habs fans put the Jackets fans to shame. Heck, two thirds of "self-assured" Americans don't even know the words to the Star Spangled Banner. I'd be willing to bet that more than twice that percentage of Canadians can belt out your anthem.

First off, that it was against the US or in Canada didn't matter. This country would be partying if we won Gold against Norway in Jamaica. That it was on home soil against the US only added to the victory but this euphoria was just the same when we beat the US in 2002. The celebrations when we win the Juniors aren't far off from now either. The Worlds are still kind of minor but thats about it (with the exception being in 2005 because we were all so hockey starved)

I think you might be underestimating exactly what the game of hockey means to Canada. It's shoved in your face as soon as you're born into the world. Canadian society says like this game or dammit, we're gonna make you like it. It's a part of who you are as a Canadian. And I don't mean that as an insult, frankly I don't think any outsiders know exactly what hockey means to Canada until they see it for themselves. Heres a little example:

Calgary

Some of them by themselves aren't impressive. But to think all of those were happening simultaneously? Now everyone will go back to cheering for their NHL teams but for two weeks, this country was united on one front and that OT goal by Crosby just gave Canadians everywhere a reason to thump our chests about the game we love to claim as our own.

It's something thats tough to explain to a non-Canadian yet when you're here and experiencing it live, you just "get" what hockey means to us.

No, I get how important hockey is to Canada. If the reaction in 2002 was the same as the reaction for this, then I completely understand. I was under the mistaken impression that this particular gold was being celebrated to a new degree.

Home ice, drama is pretty much the factor that put it over the top than 2002. 2002 was no last minute overtime theatrics.

Certainly dramatic. Gave us the record for Gold medals (14). And... it's current. People have short memories. They were just as excited after 2002. ("First Olympic hockey gold in 50 years", yada, yada, yada)

1972 remains the penultimate. Henderson still a hero after38 years...

Certainly dramatic. Gave us the record for Gold medals (14). And... it's current. People have short memories. They were just as excited after 2002. ("First Olympic hockey gold in 50 years", yada, yada, yada)

1972 remains the penultimate. Henderson still a hero after38 years...

Best hockey was 1987, though. 3 game series, every score was 6-5. Lemieux with the winner in what, triple OT in Game 2? Then with the winner in the final 2 minutes of the third game, assist from Gretzky. Doesn't get much better than that.