Canada's Men Hockey Team

JoeLassister

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, I have that spooky feeling. It's not Deja Vu. Turin did happen and it happened 4 years ago today. Gerber and the 49 save shutout. It also spelled the beginning of our sinking spiral down to no medal at all.

Shades of what happened then is happening now. GET IT BACK!

Great, I have that spooky feeling. It's not Deja Vu. Turin did happen and it happened 4 years ago today. Gerber and the 49 save shutout. It also spelled the beginning of our sinking spiral down to no medal at all. 

Hiller robs Ducks' teammate Getzlaf. Wow.

I've been saying for a while now not to underestimate the Swiss. This game didn't surprise me at all but of course the media is going to hit the panic button anyway. Quite a few guys looked really lazy though and the first goal was weak.

I think I'd go with Bobby Lou on Sunday.

Where is Weber? AWOL

He got benched, I think. Didn't play that well against the US and then took two hooking penalties tonight. I don't remember seeing him after the second one.

Does anyone else think the Olympic shootout rules are the dumbest thing ever? Three shooters is bad enough for the NHL, but now the Olympics? And to top that off, after the first three you can have repeat shooters? Asinine.

Lack of speed seems to be an issue with this version of Team Canada

Yzerman and Co wanted a big team to intimidate opponents, but this isn't the NHL

Edited by rafikz

Lack of speed seems to be an issue with this version of Team Canada

Yzerman and Co wanted a big team to intimidate opponents, but this isn't the NHL

They might be big but aren't playing big besides Morrow and Bergeron... and yes those 2 are our smallest forwards

He got benched, I think. Didn't play that well against the US and then took two hooking penalties tonight. I don't remember seeing him after the second one.

Does anyone else think the Olympic shootout rules are the dumbest thing ever? Three shooters is bad enough for the NHL, but now the Olympics? And to top that off, after the first three you can have repeat shooters? Asinine.

Number one reason I'll never have a problem with that

Greatest shootout I've ever seen.

too much fancy crap, not enough getting it on the net and driving for a rebound. I can't count the number of times guys in the slot (Crosby especially) have tried to pass to a guy at a bad angle, rather then pound it on net.

They swiss were a bunch of high energy grinders and the Canadians had no answer for it. Hopefully they can regroup and simplify...

This is just what Canada needed. A big punch in the nose. You can have all the talent in the world but you need to work your ass off and play hard, straight up hockey. This isn't the all star game and continuous passing will not cut it.

The game vs. America will be fun to watch.

Not here to troll u guys but DAMN what nice saves Hiller did there. And that glove in the shootout was awesome as well. Great game that was VERY exciting to watch for someone that doesnt cheer for any of the teams.

Halak and team managed to upset the Russians.. so it is not just Canada. Halak turned in the kind of performance we are starting to expect from him... ;)

All it takes is a hot goalie and anyone can beat anyone in these games.

I like how people are complaining that they didn't shoot enough. They got 46 shots!

Russia is being very hard-headed (typical) in their ice time distribution. And I think the coach just went with Ovechkin twice because Canada went with Crosby... he should have went with Datsyuk over and over again in the shootout... the guy is like 50% in his career and can make goalies pull their groin instantly.

Is it the first time that Olympic hockey is played on a North-American-sized rink instead of the wider regular Olympic size? That might explain why talent seems nullified.

Also makes you wonder how the NHL would be if played on Olympic-size rinks.

Still,shootouts are better than ties. And it was really exciting to see Halak stop Ovechkin twice!

The rule that you can send the same shooters give a chance to countries that have a great goalie but no depth, if you compare US' 10th shooter vs Swiss 10th for example. (hmm that's a bad example since Swiss don't have a single good shooter)

This isn't the all star game and continuous passing will not cut it.

That's exactly what I thought during the game last night. Canada playing like it's an All-Star Game, trying all those fancy passes. Benny Brunet put it best: Canada was playing too much East-West hockey, not enough North-South hockey. You compare Canada to the rest of the teams and we've got perhaps the biggest team overall, you'd think they'd use it to crash the net all the time. What's the use of putting together a roster full of big guys if you're not gonna use that edge?

Still,shootouts are better than ties.

Give me a tie over a shootout every day of the week. It's like ending a football game with a field goal competition or a basketball game with a free throw competition. If two teams match each other through an entire game, both sides have earned a point and there's no need to tarnish a good game with an individual spectacle. In pool play, a tie is fine. In elimination rounds, continuous overtime is the way to go. Of course, with NHLers there, that will never happen.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Give me a tie over a shootout every day of the week. It's like ending a football game with a field goal competition or a basketball game with a free throw competition. If two teams match each other through an entire game, both sides have earned a point and there's no need to tarnish a good game with an individual spectacle. In pool play, a tie is fine. In elimination rounds, continuous overtime is the way to go. Of course, with NHLers there, that will never happen.

I rarely do this when it comes to quoting a post, but :clap: - heck, how about one more: :clap: