Markov as Captain : NOW !

JoeLassister

What's up with captaincy ??? Olympics are almost there and no show of a C !! I think it's time to make this move and name Andrei Markov the new captain.

If I'm correct, he married a woman from here, received his canadian nationality and always loved it here.

He gets full support from the crowd, the medias and his teammates.

He's an all-star player, arguably top 10 in the league all positions included and still quite young.

I could see this move by Martin and the Habs as a real sign of respect for this man who always gives 100%. It would MAYBE help us to sign Markov for a little less than the market as well. Like : "Ok Andrei, here is the deal : You are our best player, everybody in town love you and want you here for long. What about 5,5M$ and the "C" for the rest of your carreer ??"

I think Andrei Markov is the type of man/player who could accept this deal and make both parties very happy.

Am I in the left field ?

I heard he's married to a Russian woman, but, the good news, she's learning french as a secong language, not english. Which tells me Montreal is where he wants to be. Just little details, I know, but I'm trying to be glass half full for 2010.

In total agreement with you. I was saying the same thing to my wife while we watched the game yesterday. Markov is the man. Not only does he deserve it, he is a great leader. I also think that not having a captain is hurting the team somehow. We have nobody with real authority to talk to the refs. Too many times I have witnessed the team unfairly treated by the refs this year. I am of the opinion that having Markov as a captain would help us in this regard.

If Markov is willing, I'd love to see him as Captain. However, I thought i read an interview where the habs said they wern't naming a captain this year.

I'd say have Markov as Captain and give A's to Gionta, Cammy and Pleks. Who knows giving Pleks a letter earlier rather then later, may also make him feel more wanted.

I think Markov and Pleks are the poster boys for the Habs home grown talent, especially since the nucleus of what was supposed to be the habs future is now gone.

Had Gionta not been injured, I think the clamouring would be as much for him as for Cammi. And as for Markov, if he is their choice, they need to wait until next season - when he has one year left on his contract - so they can use it as a negotiating point. Little less cash spent, dontcha know.

Had Gionta not been injured, I think the clamouring would be as much for him as for Cammi. And as for Markov, if he is their choice, they need to wait until next season - when he has one year left on his contract - so they can use it as a negotiating point. Little less cash spent, dontcha know.

Provided he even wants it, that is. He's already declined it once.

I could see this move by Martin and the Habs as a real sign of respect for this man who always gives 100%. It would MAYBE help us to sign Markov for a little less than the market as well. Like : "Ok Andrei, here is the deal : You are our best player, everybody in town love you and want you here for long. What about 5,5M$ and the "C" for the rest of your carreer ??"

No way Markov will accept that. Markov is in the TOP 5 best d-men in the league...and maybe even in the top 3. He is worth well over 7 million$ per year. He'd be nuts to take 5.5 million$. Even if we offer him the C, i don't think he'll take anything under 6.5 million in his next contract!

French link. http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/289392.html

Basicaly says that Markov wouldn't necessarily (spell) decline the "C". He also admit that it comes with bigger responsabilities and that many guys on this team could wear the "C". But he says that he would think about it and that he's interested.

French link. http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/289392.html

Basicaly says that Markov wouldn't necessarily (spell) decline the "C". He also admit that it comes with bigger responsabilities and that many guys on this team could wear the "C". But he says that he would think about it and that he's interested.

Make him Capitan. Cammie and Gionta and Plek can wear the A

I think Markov would turn it down, but I think he knows how the room feels about him.

I think Markov has started dreaming about it once he saw Ovechkin get the C. The thing is he will never be offered the C by the Habs. Habs have been heavily criticized for having a non-francophone as captain for the past decade. I can't see a captain that doesn't speak French and can barely have a conversation in English. I tend to believe the next Habs captain will be Lecavalier. If it doesn't work it will probably be one of the new guys, but next year.

Leafs haven't named a captain either yet, no?

Who cares about the leafies? They suck...with or without a captain!

I think Markov has started dreaming about it once he saw Ovechkin get the C. The thing is he will never be offered the C by the Habs. Habs have been heavily criticized for having a non-francophone as captain for the past decade. I can't see a captain that doesn't speak French and can barely have a conversation in English. I tend to believe the next Habs captain will be Lecavalier. If it doesn't work it will probably be one of the new guys, but next year.

Lecavalier? Overpaid and overrated, I think. Plus, I can't see how we'd ever get him under the cap. I can see the logic in the French, aspect, though, particularly after a decade of Koivu who couldn't/wouldn't speak it. I wonder how quickly Cammi and/or Gionta can learn the language? I suspect Cammi would be willing to give it a go; Gio didn't look overly comfortable wishing folks happy holidays on RDS. Cammi seems to actually be revelling in the media spotlight. He's interviewed regularly and never sounds peeved. He also doesn't dish out platitudes or cliches, but tends to tell it like it is. And on the ice, I feel he's a very positive influence both in his work ethic and in the positives it 'looks' like he's offering his teammates.

This is absolutely ridiculous on so many levels.