Higgins vs. Ribeiro: The Final Battle

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=c...c&type=lgns

A bit of a surreal story...Higgins basically crushed Ribeiro's windpipe with a high stick. A horrible story for Ribeiro (shades of Trent McCleary - anyone remember that sickening night when he almost died with a career-ending crushed windpipe?). But it's weird to see two ex-Habs involved in such an incident.

yes quite a weird coincidence, have there been suggestions it was something other than an accident?

also seems it is 4 minutes if a high stick draws blood but only 2 if it crushes a windpipe . . .

yes quite a weird coincidence, have there been suggestions it was something other than an accident?

also seems it is 4 minutes if a high stick draws blood but only 2 if it crushes a windpipe . . .

Yeah, well, we all know NHL refereeing is a steaming pile of moose droppings most nights.

Part of me likes the idea that there was some huge festering feud between the two going back to Higgins's rookie season and that Higgins has waited what, four years before exacting his terrible revenge :wacko::wacko: But I never saw Higgins as a dirty player or the type to deliberately carve a guy up. In fact, the NHL principle that a "player must be in control of his stick at all times" is another one of those inflexible "no exceptions" policies that defies reality, much like the idea that if you flip the puck over the glass you *must* be intending to delay the game. I haven't seen footage, but I'm guessing that it was a complete accident and that Higs feels pretty bad about it.