Why isn't Andrei Kostitsyn on the IR?

Gman

Does anyone know why the team hasn't placed Andrei Kostitsyn on injured reserve yet?

He's had surgery and is gone for 6 weeks, so if he was placed on long term injured reserve (LTIR) wouldn't this save cap space?

I don't get why teams wait weeks before placing injured players on the IR... There must be a reason... help!...

Don't GMs know that waiting a week or two can cost us fantasy GMs valuable points!

It only gives us cap space if we call players up and go over the limit. It's an option, but it does nothing for us if our roster remains status quo, which appears to be the decision.

Fantasy leagues need to get more proactive and put guys on IR based on news reports, not mundane NHL paperwork.

It only gives us cap space if we call players up and go over the limit. It's an option, but it does nothing for us if our roster remains status quo, which appears to be the decision.

Fantasy leagues need to get more proactive and put guys on IR based on news reports, not mundane NHL paperwork.

But if we put Kostitsyn on the LTIR, we stop using the bonus cushion. Wouldn't this help us for next season?

But if we put Kostitsyn on the LTIR, we stop using the bonus cushion. Wouldn't this help us for next season?

If you take a look at the capsheet (speaking of which, I should go update that...), you'll note that Markov was on LTIR yet the Habs saved absolutely nothing. This is largely due to the fact that LTIR takes only player salaries into consideration and not bonuses (LTIR is tab 4, salaries tab 5). So, they really saved nothing on the bonus cushion since their cumulative spending based on salaries alone didn't amount to the NHL max as at the days Markov was LTIR'ed. Without looking at the spreadsheet now, I think they have $260,000 or so in LTIR space which means it'd take a long time to bring the team into a position where LTIR actually becomes beneficial. As it is, I think they spend (in salaries alone) about $7,000 less than the NHL max per day; whatever replacement for Kostitsyn would not only have to eat that daily space up but also start cracking away at the LTIR space (260).

In other words, he's not on LTIR because simply put, there's no reason for him to be as his replacement won't actually put the team into LTIR territory. He's not officially on IR as the Habs don't need the roster spot as there are healthy scratches that can take his place.

Now, onto updating the capsheet since I have little to do for 3.5 hours until my next class...