Combat Sports Thread

Fanpuck33

Ben Henderson dominates with a first round submission - no doubt about it this time! Can't wait for the lightweight division to be folded into the UFC when the WEC adds a flyweight division so Henderson can work his way up to guys like Penn, Edgar, and Florian. Jose Also destroyed Urijah Faber and at just 23 years old is already close to cleaning out the division. If he can fight at lightweight, he'd be a great addition to the UFC also.

Random speculation - I think they're going to fold the entire WEC into the UFC when they add flyweights. During the entire event tonight, I don't think they made a single mention of the WEC. They didn't show the ring girls, they didn't announce the fighters as being WEC champs, the announcers didn't seem to mention the name. That would give the UFC 8 weight classes and enough fighters to easily put on one PPV and one free event every month.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cro Cop and BJ Penn both announce retirement after losing last night. Diaz called out GSP after the fight and apparently GSP didn't take it well. Dana White quoted GSP as saying "He's [Diaz] the most disrespectful human being I've ever met and I'm going to put the worst beating you've ever seen on him in the UFC." Carlos Condit agreed to give up his own title shot to allow the GSP-Diaz matchup to take place. Tentatively scheduled for the Super Bowl weekend card.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I understand that the shot is coming fast, but how do you not protect your head on this ???

You can almost see the guy's thought process as it's happening: "It's a spinning backfist, protect your face. Oh wait! It's not a punch. He must be turning it into a spinning back kick, so I gotta protect the body. Oh snap! It's a wheel kick, gotta get my hands back..." *thunk*

• 3 weeks later...

Damn. Diaz lost. Condit vs St-Pierre...

I think Condit will take another fight before GSP is ready to return to the Octagon. But anyway, I don't think GSP-Diaz would have lived up to the hype. I think if they fought, it would go pretty much the same way tonight's fight went. GSP is too smart a fighter to let his emotions get in the way of how he fights. Koscheck talked a lot of crap also and it didn't affect him one bit once the doors closed. Diaz proved tonight that he can't beat a guy who fights technically sound and sticks to his gameplan. He's made a living taunting guys and talking crap to get guys to deviate from their gameplans and get into a brawl. When his taunting doesn't work, he loses his aggressiveness, as he did tonight.

I think this would be a great time for GSP to put on weight and move up a weight class, with this long term injury.

No need to continue to dominate a weight class that has no more challenge for him.

Let Condit have the title, and have GSP chase Silva.

I think this would be a great time for GSP to put on weight and move up a weight class, with this long term injury.

No need to continue to dominate a weight class that has no more challenge for him.

Let Condit have the title, and have GSP chase Silva.

I agree completely. Maybe now that GSP won't be facing Diaz to unify the belt, he'll decide to finally move up. It really is the perfect time to do so. If I were him, though, I absolutely would take a fight at 185 before challenging Silva. I think it'd be idiotic for him to choose to fight Anderson coming off a long injury layoff. I'm not sure how badly Munoz got hurt to knock him out of this recent fight, but if his timetable is similar to GSP's, I think that fight would make a lot of sense.

Oh he definitely needs 1 or 2 fights at 185 before going after silva. Thats what I mean by "chase" him.

Ah, ok, I gotcha.

On a side note, only 3 more weeks till Ben Henderson takes the lightweight belt from Frankie Edgar! I cannot freaking wait for this fight!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, so last week I decided that UFC 144 would be the first event I buy the PPV for, rather than going to a restaurant to watch. That appears to be an excellent choice, as this card is going to have 7 fights, rather than 5, on the PPV portion of the card. That's too long to be cooped up in a restaurant for! Of course, that means a 1 AM main event rather than midnight, so I may need to take a nap, haha.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Shoot, I missed that post when you posted and now the video is gone.

Anyways, can't wait for Silva v. Sonnen II tonight!

hahaha I don't even remember what it was...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Scary moment there in the 3rd round. That kick Condit landed was crazy! After the first couple rounds I though GSP might be able to get a finish, but that kick pretty much ended any chance of him going for the kill. Really hope they finally do Silva vs. GSP now, before it's too late.