Combat Sports Thread

Fanpuck33

We have a thread for most everything else, so I figured I'd start this one.

I really only starting getting into MMA when Brock Lesnar started fighting. I'd never cared for boxing and had never watched an MMA fight, but I wanted to see how a WWE wrestler would fair with real fighting. Since then, I haven't been able to get enough of it. I love how complex the fights can be, I find it a ton more interesting than boxing.

Anyways, finally decided to start the thread because I'm pumped about all the good matchups coming up this spring. I really need to find a good bar to watch these fights at.

- Starting off in March, the WEC comes to Columbus with a Bantamweight title fight between Brian Bowles and Dominick Cruz, and also features Joe Benevides vs. former champ Miguel Torres.

- Also in March, the UFC debuts on Versus with a solid card including Brandon Vera vs. Jon Jones, Junior Dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga, Cheick Kongo vs. Paul Buentello, and Anthony Johnson vs. John Howard. That's solid for a free telecast.

- Also in March is UFC 111, featuring GSP's title defense against Dan Hardy and the interim heavyweight title fight between Frank Mir and Shane Carwin.

- A third UFC even in March will kick off Season 11 of the Ultimate Fighter and is expected to include fights involving Kenny Florian and season 10 winner Roy Nelson.

- In April it's UFC 112 featuring Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort for the Middleweight belt and BJ Penn vs. Frankie Edgar for the lightwight belt.

- Also in April, Strikeforce will feature Fedor Emilianenko vs. Fabricio Werdum. Hopefully this will be a CBS card and not a Showtime card.

- In May, UFC 113 will feature the Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio Rua title rematch, Rashad Evans vs. Rampage Jackson, and a matchup of Ultimate Fighter 10 contestants, Kimbo Slice vs. Matt Mitrione.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Six views, ouch. I guess I'm the only one into MMA here. Just heard Brock Lesnar will be back this summer. Awesome news!

I like watching MMA but I'm just a casual fan...thought the stuff on Lesnar visiting a hospital in Canada is hilarious.

The guy tries way too hard to be the "heel"...jmho.

I like watching MMA but I'm just a casual fan...thought the stuff on Lesnar visiting a hospital in Canada is hilarious.

The guy tries way too hard to be the "heel"...jmho.

Yeah, he's definitely an interesting character. Everything you hear about him out of the ring make him out to be a real humble, down-to-earth guy. Then as soon as the cameras are rolling, he comes off as an egomaniac. Either way, he's fun to watch and can't wait to see him back in the ring.

I like watching MMA but I'm just a casual fan...

Same here. It's better than some low profile boxing matches. I recently get into boxing a little more since I went to La Cage aux Sports for two consecutives fights. Bute-Andrade and Pascal-Diaconnu. Was very fun and my friends kinda made me watch more boxing and learn the sport a little more.

I just don't like the wrestling/floor action in MMA. I think it sucks. But I understant that it is very technical and that you must have skills to be good at it.

I just don't like the wrestling/floor action in MMA. I think it sucks. But I understant that it is very technical and that you must have skills to be good at it.

Yeah, that's one reason a number of fighters have passed Lesnar as my favourite fighters. I still root for him, but his style definitely isn't the most entertaining. I think the lower weight classes have much more exciting ground games than the bigger guys. They seem to be a lot more active. Best fight I've watched so far was Ben Henderson vs. Cowboy Cerrone in the WEC. There are all kinds of submission attempts and escapes. Pretty sure it was voted the fight of the year, wish it was still on YouTube. I swear Henderson's joints can bend in any direction.

I almost forgot! Jason David Frank, a.k.a. The Green/White Power Ranger, makes his amatuer MMA debut on January 30th. He's apparently going to fight at heavyweight, I didn't see that coming. Hopefully someone will get the fight up on YouTube. It's being rebroadcast a couple weeks later on HDNet, but I don't get the channel.

Former pro wrestler Bobby Lashley easily defeats an out of shape Wes Sims

Only got to see highlights from the Walker fight, but it sounded like he fought very well.

Lashley looks like he could be a real solid fighter, but man, what happened to Wes Sims? Why did he agree to this fight when he clearly was not in shape to go against such a good fighter?

You could definitely tell the JDF fight was an amateur one. I can see why he wasn't able to fight professionally right away like many "famous" people. I'd be cool to see him work his way up the chain and perhaps earn a spot on a future season of Ultimate Fighter. Despite his win, I think that possibility is still quite a way off, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trying to decide if I want to go to the WEC fight tomorrow night. 27 bucks for a ticket is a great price for a lower bowl seat, but I just can't imagine MMA being that good to see in person unless you're right near the cage. Plus, there are some huge UFC cards coming up that I want to see and will have to go to a bar or theater to see, so I'm thinking it would be smarter to just watch tomorrow for free on TV and save my money for when I can't watch for free.

Ended up not going and I'm pretty glad I did. Fight of the night was on the preliminary card and I wouldn't have been able to get there in time to see it. Most of the fights on the main card weren't that exciting. Benevidez vs. Torres was a solid fight, but the bantamweight championship fight sucked. Bowles broke his hand on the first punch he threw and the doctors pulled him from the fight after the end of the second round. Crappy way to lose/win a belt.

Edited by Fanpuck33

• 3 weeks later...

Just placed a reservation at La Cage aux Sports (sports restaurant) for saturday. They show the Habs game at 19h00 and the GSP-Hardy fight at 22h00. Should be fun.

Just placed a reservation at La Cage aux Sports (sports restaurant) for saturday. They show the Habs game at 19h00 and the GSP-Hardy fight at 22h00. Should be fun.

I'm so stoked for this weekend, I hope GSP rocks Hardy.

After that I want Silva/GSP. Dream match.

I would have liked to see Mir vs. Lesnar III, but I was just as happy to see Mir get destroyed. Should be a good matchup this summer for the unified heavyweight belt.

GSP's utter dominance was on display, but it was a pretty boring fight. Hardy not submitting in the 1st or 4th round were about the only two exciting moments. I like guys who can get out of big time submissions like that, so he earned some respect in my book. Just too bad that GSP is no much better that it didn't matter.

Were the earlier fights any good? My two friends who said they wanted to watch bailed and the four others who were "maybes" all ending up declining. I didn't want to spend two and a half hours alone at the bar/restaurant, so I only went in time to see the two championship fights.

I do think it's time for a shakeup in the weight divisions. It's becoming more obvious with every fight that GSP and BJ Penn are still miles ahead of the rest of their weight classes. GSP should move up to Middleweight and get a fight under his belt there and then go after The Spider. Meanwhile, Penn should take a couple fights at Welterweight to get used to fighting there again. That sets up GSP vs. Silva and then GSP vs. Penn.

GSP just dominated Hardy bringing him to the floor everytime he could. Does anyone can beat GSP wrestling ?? I just don't know the other fighters enough to know who else is good at it...

Still can't believe that Hardy didn't tap out on this crazy and super long armlock. Unbelievable!

GSP just dominated Hardy bringing him to the floor everytime he could. Does anyone can beat GSP wrestling ?? I just don't know the other fighters enough to know who else is good at it...

Still can't believe that Hardy didn't tap out on this crazy and super long armlock. Unbelievable!

Good job by St Pierre recognizing Hardy's weakness and always going down ASAP. St Pierre is such a gentleman, and a true champion. Bravo

• 2 weeks later...

It would appear that an Anderson Silva vs. GSP matchup is on the horizon for late 2010. Silva is saying that he is looking at dropping down to Welterweight for two fights - one to make sure he can still safely/successfully cut down to 170 after not going that low for 5 years and the second to fight GSP. Of course, he also said he's thinking about eventually moving all the way up to heavyweight, so maybe he's just having some fun with the media.

That was easily the worst event I've watched since I got into MMA. There was not a single good fight on that card. The first two fights were a lesson on how to not successfully choke an opponent. The Hughes vs. Gracie fight was decent, but I hate when two guys with good ground games just stand and punch. BJ looked like he didn't even try as he handed his belt to Frankie Edgar. I might have to reconsider my support of Penn after that lackluster effort. Then Anderson Silva acted like a total d-bag the entire fight. It's one thing to taunt your opponent and then finish him off in spectacular fashion. It's another to taunt him and then not even try the last three rounds and allow it to go to a decision. It was so bad that the ref actually bitched out Silva for not trying at one point. Dana was pissed off, threw the belt to the feet of Silva's manager, and then left for the 5th round. I won't be surprised if he either refuses to let Silva have a crack at GSP's belt or maybe makes him fight GSP right away, to not give Silva a chance to get used to fighting at 170.

Update: GSP vs. Silva may be off. Dana White was quoted as saying that Silva doesn't deserve to fight GSP.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Solid card put on by Strikeforce last night. King Mo looked impressive as he took Mousasi to the ground seemingly at will and never gassed out. He got hit with some good shots from the bottom, but maintained the dominant position for most of the fight and got the decision. Melendez vs. Aoki was a mediocre fight, as Aoki was unable to go for any good submissions and didn't have a plan B. Sheilds vs. Henderson got a bit boring as it wore on, but it was an incredible display by Shields as he got destroyed in round 1 and then dominated the rest of the fight and put Henderson in the full mount seemingly at will.

And then disaster struck. Another fighter entered the ring during the post fight interview and a brawl broke out. The fact that it happened isn't a big deal to me. The fact that it happened live on national television does bother me. This could very well set MMA back once again and it could very well be years before a network gives MMA another chance. Hopefully CBS will view it as an isolated incident (as it is) and not an excuse to dump MMA.

Bute just destroyed Miranda yesterday. Wasn't even funny. Just watche some highlights though cuz the bar we were at for Habs-Caps was not showing the fight.

Appears that the owner did not want to buy the fight card just in case the Habs went to OT. It is fair enough. I wonder how much do Sports Bars pay for an event like this. It just cannot be as low as 100$ like household pay.

Bute just destroyed Miranda yesterday. Wasn't even funny. Just watche some highlights though cuz the bar we were at for Habs-Caps was not showing the fight.

Appears that the owner did not want to buy the fight card just in case the Habs went to OT. It is fair enough. I wonder how much do Sports Bars pay for an event like this. It just cannot be as low as 100$ like household pay.

Don't know those guys, what organization are they with?

Yeah, bars have to pay quite a bit to show fights. UFC recently sued the pants off a bar in the Boston area for just buying the 45 dollar PPV and showing it.

Don't know those guys, what organization are they with?

Yeah, bars have to pay quite a bit to show fights. UFC recently sued the pants off a bar in the Boston area for just buying the 45 dollar PPV and showing it.

Lucian Bute

Bute is the current IBF Super Middleweight champion. He's the big deal now in Québec (Canada I should say). Yesterday's fight against Miranda was on HBO.

Highlights from a former fight Bute vs Andrade

Watch this Fanpuck

It is an old fight St-Pierre vs Spratt, this is classic GSP suff.

BUT, the fun part starts at 5:49, the AMAZING part is at 6:19. Enjoy if you haven't seen it yet.

GSP classic move

Man, what was that guy thinking? Better to stay on your back against GSP than giving up your back like that. lol

Can't wait for the WEC fights tonight. Been waiting for the Donald Cerrone vs. Ben Henderson rematch since their fight of the year in October. Then Jose Aldo fights Urijah Faber - the new kid vs. the veteran. Should be an awesome night of fights, though anything will be better than the last UFC fights.

Edited by Fanpuck33