Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Post all Habs related rumors from other sites (like Eklund) in this thread.

Any new threads started based on rumor will be merged with this one.

Thank you for your respect... We do our best to hear constructive criticism and distinguish it from groussing, which can also be valuable.

There has been a lot of criticism of the mod team's decision to consolidate the rumour thread. I thought it might help to hear why we decided to do this (at least why I think it was a good idea).

1) There was tons of rumour repeats.

If Code or Eklund reported a Habs-related rumour, we'd often get 3 or 4 reports on the site. This meant that mods had to spend a lot of time cleaning up a lot of threads for rumours which had little probative value.

Whenever a trade, or other major habs-related event occurs, the mod team has to clean up a bunch of repeat threads (e.g. everybody wants to be the first to report the habs signed player X). We sign up to do this sort of clean up and are happy (ok... willing) to do it to keep the board running smoothly. It is harder to summon that same desire to clean up for threads that are much less important to the Canadiens.

2) Rumour threads, by their very nature, greatly overlap.

Rumour 1: Souray is going to be traded to San Jose for a draft pick

Rumour 2: Rivet is going to be traded to San Jose for a draft pick

Rumour 3: Souray is going to be traded to the Ducks for Selanne

(made all these up, obviously)

Now how do I clean this up? Do these all deserve their own thread?

Should I make a thread: "Souray being shopped", "Bob looking to get San Jose's picks", or "Habs going after Selanne"... these rumours could be sliced up a bunch of ways and each is somewhat meaningless without reference to the others.

3) Rumour threads should not be compared to Lounge threads

The Lounge is for things unrelated to hockey... at the very least matters unrelated to North American Hockey. It is thus a relegation for threads unrelated to the thrust of the site.

As a mod, I am generally much more wary of policing the Lounge. I am much more lax in applying most of the requirements of the site. I basically do 2 things when monitoring the Lounge:

1) Make sure theres no hate, flame, spam, or a ridiculous amount of profanity

2) Move hockey-related posts to the other forums (rarely have to do this)

I only merge threads in the lounge when there is an exact repeat of a previous (and recent) post. It should be noted that even in the lounge we have often had "mega threads"... for baseball, soccer, Olympics, NFL, nothing....

Maybe this helps a bit... or at least gives a window into my flawed reasoning...

heres the lastest

souray, ryder, ribs eabischer and a 1st round pick for malkin

heard it on the radio so it should be a (e5) within minutes

heres the lastest

At least makes some sense.... Samsonov - Malkin - Kovalev... lol.

At least makes some sense.... Samsonov - Malkin - Kovalev... lol.

The fact that I immediately said YESSSSSSS! means it won't happen. Simply too good to be true. Although losing Souray would put us in a tight position, I think it would be worth it for Malkin. Besides, there's no way Pittsburgh would ever do this trade anyways. Still nice to dream though. :)

According to Kevin Gibson's Blog on hockeybuzz.com, the habs have offered Ribeiro, Souray, Ryder, Aebischer and a first round pick for Malkin:

"On the rumour scale, KGB(1) Ryder, Ribeiro, Souray, Aebischer and a first-round pick for Malkin. Montreal also signs JP Dumont as a result of the freed up cash.

Let me add this. I did not get this from PJ Stock, I have never even received and e-mail from the guy. I don't listen to the Team 990 in Montreal (you're welcome for the free plug). A retired player in Mount Royal sent this to me and it was not via PJ Stock. This is the only reason why I am posting it, because it is from a player. Not as guaranteed as my Pronger to Anaheim, but slightly better than Belfour and Shanahan to the Wings."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=2621

First of all, let me say that I would complete this trade in a second. Malkin is going to be on the same level as Ovechkin and Crosby. That being said, dream on Habs fans.

For one, it is way too much of a salary swap. Montreal would be saving close to $7M, while the Pens absord around $8M (roughly). Is Pittsburgh, a franchise on the brink, willing or stupid enough to do that? Secondly, these are all players with one year contracts. There is no gaurantee that any of them will stick with the team to see the true fruition of this trade. And thirdly, why would Pittsburgh need another goaltender when they already have Fleury and Thibault?

Pittsburgh is a team that is rebuilding. They have two of the best young guys in the game, not to mention a potential eite goaltender in Fleury. If this team is trying to market itself to either Pittsburgh or any other potential buyer, why would they take on $8M in salary to still miss or barely make the playoffs, when in fact they have one of the best future rosters in league?

I dont like this Million Rumors on one page might get crowded.. Anyway.

I love that trade with Malkin Coming to mtl lemme just say why :D

1. We lose Ribiero

2. We lose Ryder but get Dumont

3. We Lose Souray Wich i dont like but hey we have enough its ok we can tough it out.

4. We Get ride of Abby Wich wanted to leave.

5.We Free up over 8 million

6. Malkin can sign to league max 950 000 $ something like that

7.And Only RlyRLy bad thing we lose a first ok that sucks, But its Bob Gainey If he wants it he can trade for it and possibly get it.

AND ITS EVGENI FREAKING MALKIN!!!! ThIS GUY SHOULD HELP LIKE CRAZY I SAY WITH THAT you BRING PEREZ UP TO SECOND AND KOVALEV WITH KOIVU OR SAMSONOV WIT KOIVU.

Talk about a wet dream. there is no way that this trade will happen. mind you it would probably mean that the pens would make the playoffs I mean having ribs there and all

Chances of this happening are close to 0%... I mean... which Habs fan wouldn't do this trade RIGHT NOW? Malkin repalces Ribeiro as our 2nd line center :):):):) ... We lose Ryder but get Dumont, not that I'd take Dumont before Ryder, but he's a pretty good replacement... We lose Aebi who's our backup goalie... We lose Souray, but chances are that he'll look to sign with a Western Conference team this summer and we lose a 1st rd DP, but hey, maybe that guy won't even make it to the NHL... Anyways, keep dreaming because Mike Milbury isn't the Pens GM... :lol:

heres the lastest

I like ithat trade but that is total bullsh*t Too bad, that would have been nice!

awaiting for this thread to be placed where u know where.... its too tempting not to say nothing..

Pens would have to trade their number two goalie... they would probably say no to either Ribs or Souray and preffer another number one pick so that makes two number one picks or Plus!!! add ATLEAST ONE TOP PROSPECT this means LAtendresse or Kosty or Chips ... and we would have to take on some "Bois mort" from the pens so add an underachieving over paid vet from Pits to come back our way! otherwise this rumor is only half the info

Pens give up a goalie an old vet and Malkin

Habs give up (AT LEAST) Kosty and Chips or Komisarek add to this one cup of Abisher one filet of Ryder and 2 number one draft picks.

Edited by CoRvInA

There's a thread for ridiculous trades.

Yes. God forbid we talk about anything individually! We must lump all that is annoying to certain people - namely rumours - into one spot so those people don't have to read a few things, they can just avoid the one area!

:king:

Anyone else feel like I'm being a broken record? *giggles* And apologies to those who are implementing said ideas - nothing personal, I just don't get the need to compartmentalize like that.

There is a few things working in our favor

1- The penguins need to pick up some salary to make the minimum required

2-Michel Therrien is the Penguins' coach, he knows the Montreal players (some of them)

3-The Pens need to make the playoff now to get an arena

4-Crosby is and will be their number one center and Staal will be there soon also

5-Andre Savard is there too.

Here's another angle...don't Malkin's current problems (no one knows where he is, mixed messages from his agent, possible mob issues, etc) suggest that he is the latest in that long line of supremely talented Russian head cases? Do we really want to build our franchise around a Yashin or even Pavel Bure type (or Jagr, even if he's Czech), a guy who has some unbelievable seasons but gets everyone pissed off with him, alienates teammates and fans, goes in the tank unpredictably, etc, etc.? Don't get me wrong - I'm not anti-Russian or anything of the sort. But surely we want to fill our nucleus with Saku Koivu types - bona fide winners - not erratic loony tunes.

Which is not to say I wouldn't make the trade. But Malkin's mental state is worth bearing mind. It's not raw talent alone that wins Cups. (Remember Richer?)

Which is not to say I wouldn't make the trade. But Malkin's mental state is worth bearing mind. It's not raw talent alone that wins Cups. (Remember Richer?)

richer did win a cup in new jerzey and he played in the final series with montreal in 89

Well, I wouldn't really mind it so much, but since we have a thread specifically for trade rumours that is stickied, might aswell post all trade rumours in there. There's nothing about this rumour that seperates it from any other rumour.

I for one believe that there are players in the organization from the pre-Bob era that Mr Gainey would not have aquired for his team and therefore will eventually if not sooner be moved. Ryder and Ribs top that list. They were Julliens doing. As for Aebischer, do we really need a 1.9mil backup goalie when Danis is ready for prime time? Sourey has proved to be a defensive liability with a great shot that he hardly ever gets on net. Reminds me of Gingras, who I loved in Ahl with the Vees but never made the same impact in the NHL.

With that in mind, I could see Bob trading the bunch of them for a star center, signing Dumont and maybe sending Komiserek to the Islanders for a pair of d-men as NYI have 8 on their current roster.

Not saying that it will happen, just that I see how it would make sense. Bob is building his team and I don't see these guys as pieces in his puzzle. Question is, does he move them now or wait until the rest of the kids are ready.

OK - it seems everyone is in love with this idea. I'm concerned about the thought of trading such important components of today's roster for one player. I know he's ballyhooed to be another Ovechkin or Crosby, but there's a huge risk in such a move. If for whatever reason he doesn't adapt to the NHL game as expected, is a 'head case' as aforementioned, or just does 'OK' but doesn't become an impact player, we've just given up Souray, Ribs, Aebischer and a first with little return (this assumes that Dumont = Ryder). That would hurt.

It seems we're quick to point out the flaws of our own players, but fail to consider those of a prospect. I guess it's assumed that since we don't see him play often, he must have god-like talent and never make mistakes. When we have seen him play, it was middling at the World Cup, and good at the Olympics - but not superstar performances. With Malkin, it's all about potential - which can go boom or bust (see Wickenheiser, Doug).

The potential reward can be appealing, but it would be foolish to disregard the risk.