Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I'm just wondering, why wouldn't we stake a stab at getting Marleau for nothing (player-wise) at the end of next season? He'd probably like coming into a situation with more maturity from our players, and Smolinski and Kovalev are probably gone, possibly Huet, so money would be there.

Call me crazy, considering our abysmal returns in the UFA sweepstakes, but something has gotta give sometime.

I'm just wondering, why wouldn't we stake a stab at getting Marleau for nothing (player-wise) at the end of next season? He'd probably like coming into a situation with more maturity from our players, and Smolinski and Kovalev are probably gone, possibly Huet, so money would be there.

Call me crazy, considering our abysmal returns in the UFA sweepstakes, but something has gotta give sometime.

Seriously, here's a thought ~ with all the homers who have recently shown a preference not to play in Montreal, the first Quebecois star who does come here will be welcomed as a hero. Somewhere in the NHL, there has to be a player who would thrive on that?

Maybe I'm crazy too. Maybe it's the Tokyo heat?

Seriously, here's a thought ~ with all the homers who have recently shown a preference not to play in Montreal, the first Quebecois star who does come here will be welcomed as a hero. Somewhere in the NHL, there has to be a player who would thrive on that?

Truth is, it's not about being a hero, it's about WINNING. A Hockey players career is short. If there is a chance at winning the cup in Columbus? that's where they want to be. Marleau will not be coming to Montreal via free agency ...you can bank on that. If we want him we have to be prepared to lose something. I agree with the poster that says Komy must go if it means Marleau. That's just the way it has to be .....value for value. Hopefully Price is the real deal and we can trade Huet for some value this year. That's how you become a better team . Trading value for value and some lucky breaks of putting together a team that clicks. Otherwise you sit on your prospects and future stars....and wait for nothing. At the end of the day Marleau alone won't bring a cup to Montreal and neither will Komy. It's up to Gainey to figure who will add enough zip to the recipe to make it happen, and even then it's not in his power to bring the cup home, he is not on the ice. The habs are in a bad spot right now. Afraid to move unproven prospects and really nothing to trade for serious help. It's going to be a while before these boards fill with positive We are the best and FU$#K the rest posts. Something big needs to happen and we will all be bummed at what we lose in that process but hopefully it will reward us in the end.

Truth is, it's not about being a hero, it's about WINNING. A Hockey players career is short. If there is a chance at winning the cup in Columbus? that's where they want to be. Marleau will not be coming to Montreal via free agency ...you can bank on that. If we want him we have to be prepared to lose something. I agree with the poster that says Komy must go if it means Marleau. That's just the way it has to be .....value for value. Hopefully Price is the real deal and we can trade Huet for some value this year. That's how you become a better team . Trading value for value and some lucky breaks of putting together a team that clicks. Otherwise you sit on your prospects and future stars....and wait for nothing. At the end of the day Marleau alone won't bring a cup to Montreal and neither will Komy. It's up to Gainey to figure who will add enough zip to the recipe to make it happen, and even then it's not in his power to bring the cup home, he is not on the ice. The habs are in a bad spot right now. Afraid to move unproven prospects and really nothing to trade for serious help. It's going to be a while before these boards fill with positive We are the best and FU$#K the rest posts. Something big needs to happen and we will all be bummed at what we lose in that process but hopefully it will reward us in the end.

this something big is about drafting 1rst overall pick in 2009... but we have to finish very last of make a HUGE trade for that...

That is a scary thought.

Losing on purpose to get a #1 pick.

Remember the 1984 draft when the Pens were going after that kid with the 133 goals & 149 assists in 70 QMJHL games?

:ninja:

Here we go again. Just because a person has a French-sounding (and spelled) surname does NOT make him/her quebecois/e. Craig Rivet, for example, was born in nothern Ontario and did not speak a word of French (much to the chegrin of Montreal's francohpone media)!!

In the case of Patrick Marleau, he was born in Aneroid, Saskatchewan!!!!!!!!!

jcc, chill out. Nowhere did I say that Marleau was from Quebec. and nowhere did J-LP say it either - he might have been speaking hypothetically, for all you know.

Anyway, I don't really think all players put 'winning' at the top of the list. If Briere seriously thinks he can win a Cup in Philly next year, he is seriously deluded.

And we should never lose on purpose to get the first overall pick. As much as I liked the Pens of Mario's day, I hated the way they botched their season deliberately. It makes a very strong case for a draft lottery like the NBA (Celtics, Bucks, Grizzlies).

Briere

Biron

And we should never lose on purpose to get the first overall pick. As much as I liked the Pens of Mario's day, I hated the way they botched their season deliberately. It makes a very strong case for a draft lottery like the NBA (Celtics, Bucks, Grizzlies).

Yep, don't think that will ever happen in Montréal.

Just imagine..

:wacko:

Other than an act of God, what would it take to get the 1st overall in '09?

I am considering the Jason Allison option. I mean it is not the best option Montreal has but

if he comes cheap he is a reliable back up for offensive situation if Koivu or Plek get injured.

He is a center, shoots right, very good passer, he is big and creates offense for the wingers,

very good on Power play.

Otherwise, he is slow, doesn't hustle back in the d zone and he is prone to injury.

I do not wish he comes in Habsland but if he was to sign here i would not complain because were so

short on offensive center that i would see why Bob takes a chance on him instead of giving good players

for a one year Marleau.

I am considering the Jason Allison option. I mean it is not the best option Montreal has but

if he comes cheap he is a reliable back up for offensive situation if Koivu or Plek get injured.

He is a center, shoots right, very good passer, he is big and creates offense for the wingers,

very good on Power play.

Otherwise, he is slow, doesn't hustle back in the d zone and he is prone to injury.

I do not wish he comes in Habsland but if he was to sign here i would not complain because were so

short on offensive center that i would see why Bob takes a chance on him instead of giving good players

for a one year Marleau.

You make a good point about the danger of trading for Marleau. (Of course, we often see newly-acquired players signed to long-term deals in the new city, but there's no guarantee of that. If I'm Bob and I get him, I dangle a *huge* contract in front of him right off the bat and try to seduce him while he's still excited about the change).

But as for Allison - if Pleks or Saks goes down, I imagine that Smolinski will be invited to step up in a more offensive role. I believe that that's a significant reason behind the signing: Smolinski brings better offensive tools than Bonk (or at least, what he showed with us). You wouldn't want him as a long-term fix, but to tide us over injuries of moderate length he might do - he is consistently in the 20-goalish, 40-50 point range, after all. Allison seems more like a desperation mid-season move for a team that's decimated with injuries and sliding out of a playoff spot. Hopefully that won't be us! ^_^

The Jason Alisson option?

I don't think the Habs are that desperate...

hahahaha I remember my jokes on tilting the Air Canada Center so Allison could pick up enough speed to go forward... Wait a minute, was that my jokes????? :lol:

Other than an act of God, what would it take to get the 1st overall in '09?

status quo as far as I'm concerned

Everybody passed Perreault last year except the Yotes and he was at the All

Star Game.

So i know it's not the best option but sometimes players can surprise us with comeback

season.

He has no more post concussion issues, his back is ok, he will never fly but still

is a proven playmaker.

:lol: at the Allison / ACC joke.

Perreault to the all-star game wasn't that deserving. Everyone made a big fuss when he was named instead of guys like Tanguay, Sykora, Hemsky, Huselius, Cammalleri, the Sedin twins and so on who had better seasons by far.

And I repeat: what about Smolinski? This team already has five NHL-calibre C (Koivu, Pleks, Smolinski, Begin, Lapierre). What's the sense in bringing a 6th on board? If the concern is that one of our top two might get hurt, well, is it ridiculous to think that Smoke might carry the increased offensive load on a short-term basis?

That's the problem with this topic...it overlooks that, like it or not, Bob has signed his UFA C for 2007-08. Only a serious, long-term injury to Koivu would, I suspect, cause him to make a move like that.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Begin is rumored to be seriously injured. That's what they keep saying on 110% every freakin' show but I wouldn't believe it until I see it.

Smoke will pretty much replace Bonk. I think Plekanec has been penciled down as the second line center for a while now.

Yup, but Locke is far from NHL level in terms of skating.

No one wants a slow skilled player. If that was the case, Jason Allison would have gotten a contract by some NHL team by now.