Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Just saw Bryzgalov was put on waivers. He's pretty good - hopefully the Leafs end up with him, or anyone else in the east. Tampa would be licking their chops, I would think...?

That is shocking. I would have thought he'd be serious trade bait.

just look around. who needs a goalie that bad ?? besides teams in ducks divison, there are few. I don't think that burke is ready to trade a quality goalie in his own division.

just look around. who needs a goalie that bad ?? besides teams in ducks divison, there are few. I don't think that burke is ready to trade a quality goalie in his own division.

besides TO? :P

It is amazing that TB would not give up a 2nd rounder for Bryzgalov. I also love the fact that the Leafs gave up a 1st for Raycroft and Toskala

and Phoenix picked up Bryzgalov for nothing.

It is amazing that TB would not give up a 2nd rounder for Bryzgalov. I also love the fact that the Leafs gave up a 1st for Raycroft and Toskala

and Phoenix picked up Bryzgalov for nothing.

The highest pick they've had in a few years for Toskala and the second best goalie prospect in the world for Raycroft. If Tampa claimed Bryzgalov they would just have to waive one of Denis and Holmqvist, a move that wouldn't give Mr. Feaster much respect from other GMs, not to mention players. The most important thing about GMing is probably remembering that you're dealing with human beings and not just names in your video games.

i don't think other GMs and players would really be angry if Feaster waived Marc Denis who has been underpreforming for the last year.

But it's not very honourable to play musical chairs with your players.

If Tampa claimed Bryzgalov they would just have to waive one of Denis and Holmqvist, a move that wouldn't give Mr. Feaster much respect from other GMs, not to mention players.

How exactly would waiving Marc Denis hurt Feaster's reputation? The guy's numbers are horrible, he isn't getting the job done. A GMs job is to put together the best team possible. Denis was given every chance to succeed last season and he was beaten out by a nobody.

You're overstating humanity, and understating the desire to ice the best team possible (which players do respect).

Guys like Gainey and Burke get respect though while guys like Lowe (who are doing all they can do ice the best team possible) and known as playing dirty. If you want respect there are plenty of unwritten rules you have to follow and Gainey likes to follow that code.

And if you don't have respect, certain teams may not want to trade with you anymore (Edmonton lost 2 potential trading partners in Buffalo and Anaheim), hurting your chances of icing the best team possible.

Guys like Gainey and Burke get respect though while guys like Lowe (who are doing all they can do ice the best team possible) and known as playing dirty. If you want respect there are plenty of unwritten rules you have to follow and Gainey likes to follow that code.

And if you don't have respect, certain teams may not want to trade with you anymore (Edmonton lost 2 potential trading partners in Buffalo and Anaheim), hurting your chances of icing the best team possible.

And what unwritten rule says you can't waive a goalie who is playing like crap, to make room for a goalie who has won playoff series and is still relatively young?

Tampa could not have picked him up on waivers as Pheonix has the worst record. They would have had to make a trade before he was waivered.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

And what unwritten rule says you can't waive a goalie who is playing like crap, to make room for a goalie who has won playoff series and is still relatively young?

It's more respectful to only claim players off waivers when you have an opening for them. Denis is a good goalie who's playing bad because he has a garbage defence in front of him. It's disrespectful to just replace him with the new guy and send him packing. If you want to make a trade, that's another story.

Denis has been playing terribly for the past year and a half. There's a reason Holmqvist is getting plenty of starts.

As well, who says that GM's aren't above doing that anyway? Look at the Devils and Lou Lamoriello who waived Alexander Mogilny (much better than Marc Denis) and had him playing in the AHL for part of a season.

The highest pick they've had in a few years for Toskala and the second best goalie prospect in the world for Raycroft. If Tampa claimed Bryzgalov they would just have to waive one of Denis and Holmqvist, a move that wouldn't give Mr. Feaster much respect from other GMs, not to mention players. The most important thing about GMing is probably remembering that you're dealing with human beings and not just names in your video games.

Tampa was never going to be able to claim Bryzgalov. Doesn't the waiver order go in inverse order of standing?

But they could have given up a 2nd round pick for him. I don't think it is Feaster's responsibility to keep Denis in the NHL.

If his play stinks than see you later. If GMs had to do that then Fiset and Fichaud would still be in the league.

Denis has never been able to step up and take the starting jobs that have been handed to him. Where is his responsibility to Lecavalier, St. Louis and Richards to do the best to win. I have to disagree with you on this one BTH.

Denis has been playing terribly for the past year and a half. There's a reason Holmqvist is getting plenty of starts.

As well, who says that GM's aren't above doing that anyway? Look at the Devils and Lou Lamoriello who waived Alexander Mogilny (much better than Marc Denis) and had him playing in the AHL for part of a season.

And how many people disrespect Lamoriello for some of his decisions, all of which are about icing the best team possible? He plays fair but goes out looking for loopholes, same for Lower. Other GMs have problems with that and other GMs couldn't care less - but a lot of them like to go out of their way to keep good business relations.

It's more respectful to only claim players off waivers when you have an opening for them. Denis is a good goalie who's playing bad because he has a garbage defence in front of him. It's disrespectful to just replace him with the new guy and send him packing. If you want to make a trade, that's another story.

Phoenix has waived Aebischer and Auld this year, both goalies who had at least similar, if not better years than Denis had last year and better starts to this year so far than him.

Denis just has a job because Tampa's sale isn't complete (the old owner was very cheap and wants to keep costs down as much as possible during the sale process) and they have to pay him $2.75m no matter where he plays. They don't want to call up a goalie from the minors (Ramo) and then pay him $850,000, plus pay Holmqvist's full salary, and Denis' $2.75m for at best marginally better goaltending.

Bryzgalov would've cost them $1.3m extra for much better goaltending than Denis provided.

Tampa doesn't have a big name personnel, but the team does not play garbage defence. Torts has a good system in front of his goalies... it's the goalies that let him down.

maybe tortorella should try to give confidence in his goalies instead of always calling them off in the papers and on tv.

Please don't give me the whole, 'we would never trade within our division' garbage. I want us to look at trades as simply trying to get better.

Ryder is young, but we lose him to free agency if we don't trade him.

Blake is not doing well in TO but maybe he'll fit better here.

Blake for Ryder?

not worth it. Blake is paid too much for a guy who was known for disrupting the locker room in Long Island and has now stated that there is something bugging him in Toronto. He's a shit disturber.

Also, he's had 2 good years. In my opinion, that isn't worth the 4 million that they pay him.

This is all aside from the fact that trades simply don't happen in the division

not worth it. Blake is paid too much for a guy who was known for disrupting the locker room in Long Island and has now stated that there is something bugging him in Toronto. He's a shit disturber.

Also, he's had 2 good years. In my opinion, that isn't worth the 4 million that they pay him.

This is all aside from the fact that trades simply don't happen in the division

What about Kordic for Courtnall :) Oh yeah, the Leafs were in the West then. Just thought I would bring it up