Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

not worth it. Blake is paid too much for a guy who was known for disrupting the locker room in Long Island and has now stated that there is something bugging him in Toronto. He's a shit disturber.

Also, he's had 2 good years. In my opinion, that isn't worth the 4 million that they pay him.

This is all aside from the fact that trades simply don't happen in the division

I think you might be right. It's interesting how when he was an Islander he was always publicly feuding with the team, but now that he's in Toronto, he's giving interviews saying he misses the great coaching of Ted Nolan..

It is probably not the greatest idea to automatically close down 4 trading options by saying you won't trade within the division - but! - when you make a trade with another NHL GM, you must assume that it is helping both teams and you must remember that you may be helping a rival more than you're helping yourself. A Ryder for Blake trade might help us but it is sure to get Toronto out of a bad signing and as a close rival of Toronto (as much as we'd hate to admit it) it is not in our best interests to help out that franchise.

This is all aside from the fact that trades simply don't happen in the division

Gilmour to Toronto. Weinrich to Boston. Just off the top of my head. Nothing major, but teams do trade within the division. Unless it's a franchise player or something the other team really needs, it could happen. Outside the conference is first choice, outside the division is second, inside is the third choice. Sometimes you just gotta do it.

No reason not to trade Huet to Tampa Bay. It's not like we don't know his capabilities. He's not some young gun like Rask who could leave your organization with egg on its face for a decade. IF we have a rock-solid replacement for him, which we don't yet, and IF TB were willing to offer serious quality back, then we make the deal and take the risk of Huet stoning us in the playoffs.

Gilmour to Toronto.

that was more of a favour done to gilmour than anything else.

I remember a trade between philadelphia and pittsburgh way back then...

No reason not to trade Huet to Tampa Bay. It's not like we don't know his capabilities. He's not some young gun like Rask who could leave your organization with egg on its face for a decade. IF we have a rock-solid replacement for him, which we don't yet, and IF TB were willing to offer serious quality back, then we make the deal and take the risk of Huet stoning us in the playoffs.

True

I'd call LA and offer him back.

lA was hoping Bryzgalov would fall to them in the waiver list but he didn't so they still need help in a big way. The problem is....the is no market for goalies right now. Bryz is proof of that.

Edited by Habitforming

I was floating around the net this morning and thinking about our Habs. With the salary cap being what it is and realizing that it will be difficult to hold too many superstars in the future the habs should be preparing now. Stock pile young talent that will get the job done inexpensively. On defense I think we are o.k. Our grinder line seems as if it will be o.k for a long while. The third line we can always sign through UFA. Some good solid veterens are always available.

Now the biggest thing the Habs are in need of has to come through a blockbuster trade. If I were Bob Gainey, and as much as it might be difficult to do this I would trade Price. Every player, announcer, coach and red neck hillbilly is talking about how great this guy is and is going to be. I agree but I'm not blinded by it. He can't shut out our opponents all 82 games of the year. The way we are heading that's what the kid will have to do. While the rumor of his greatness is hot I would send Price, Ryder, Latendresse and a second round pick to Washington for Ovechkin and washingtons 1st round pick. Sign Huet, bring up Halak. Bring up Sergei, and Laps. Develop these kids and get ready to sign Vinny year after next.

This is the only way I see the habs becoming a serious contender.

?-VINNY-OVECHKIN

HIGGINS- KOIVU- KOVALEV

BIG ####- PLEKS- LIL ####

BEGIN- CHIPS- LAPS

MARKOV-KOMI

HAMMER-O'BYRNE

STREIT-BRISEBOIS

Insert-

Mcdonagh, Subban, Valetenko, Carle, Fischer,Yemelin, Gorges, Boullion, etc

HUET

HALAK

How can we make this happen?

I was floating around the net this morning and thinking about our Habs. With the salary cap being what it is and realizing that it will be difficult to hold too many superstars in the future the habs should be preparing now. Stock pile young talent that will get the job done inexpensively. On defense I think we are o.k. Our grinder line seems as if it will be o.k for a long while. The third line we can always sign through UFA. Some good solid veterens are always available.

Now the biggest thing the Habs are in need of has to come through a blockbuster trade. If I were Bob Gainey, and as much as it might be difficult to do this I would trade Price. Every player, announcer, coach and red neck hillbilly is talking about how great this guy is and is going to be. I agree but I'm not blinded by it. He can't shut out our opponents all 82 games of the year. The way we are heading that's what the kid will have to do. While the rumor of his greatness is hot I would send Price, Ryder, Latendresse and a second round pick to Washington for Ovechkin and washingtons 1st round pick. Sign Huet, bring up Halak. Bring up Sergei, and Laps. Develop these kids and get ready to sign Vinny year after next.

?-VINNY-OVECHKIN

HIGGINS- KOIVU- KOVALEV

BEGIN- CHIPS- LAPS

MARKOV-KOMI

HAMMER-O'BYRNE

STREIT-BRISEBOIS

Insert-

HUET

HALAK

This is why it can't happen....even in EA sports.

Almost $16M in Vinny and Ovechkin, then add another $20M for Markov, Koivu, Kovalev and Hammer. Already at $36M. Add Huet resigned to $4M (likely what he'd want) and you sit at $40M (I know its a rough estimate) for ONLY 7 players. On a 23 man roster!

Even if the remaining guys played for an average of $1M each the habs would be waaaaay over the cap.

?-VINNY-OVECHKIN

HIGGINS- KOIVU- KOVALEV

BEGIN- CHIPS- LAPS

MARKOV-KOMI

HAMMER-O'BYRNE

STREIT-BRISEBOIS

Insert-

HUET

HALAK

Vinny all ready had a chances to sign with the habs and he passed, i think he do the same..

With a few more sips of bong water?

Well let's start filling up the water coolers in Washington's conference rooms!

This is why it can't happen....even in EA sports.

Almost $16M in Vinny and Ovechkin, then add another $20M for Markov, Koivu, Kovalev and Hammer. Already at $36M. Add Huet resigned to $4M (likely what he'd want) and you sit at $40M (I know its a rough estimate) for ONLY 7 players. On a 23 man roster!

Even if the remaining guys played for an average of $1M each the habs would be waaaaay over the cap.

The EA sports anaology can get pretty old when in fact some crazy trades have occured in the NHL. To top it all off this is not that crazy.

Fitting everyone under the cap wouldn't be easy, but not impossible. When you round off like you have you get to the cap limit rather quickly. If analyzed a little realistically you would find that with the line up I've listed plus the young farm talent we have to fill holes it CAN be done. The cap WILL go up in the next two years. Hence the" we should prepare now "part. Not to mention we will probably let Kovalev go at the end of his contract so you now have an extra 4.5 million to play with, or give to Vinny.

Vinny all ready had a chances to sign with the habs and he passed, i think he do the same..

Ya, you are correct. BUT, if we did somehow pry Ovechkin from Washington I think Vinny would be a little more interested in coming to Montreal.

Hmmmmmm play with Ovechkin in my home town?

The Vinny to Montreal thoughts were inspired by theVinny will be a habs one Day Blog, and how could we encourage him to come here. The Ovechkin thoughts were inspired by Larry Brooks NY Post article aboutWhy should Ovechkin Stay in Washington article. Pipe Dream? Maybe. With the right atittude and business savy that I think Gainey has , not impossible. Lord knows we need a cup in Montreal soon.

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

Well...I'd rather have a superstar goalie than any offensive superstar short of a Gretzky or Lemieux or (maybe) Crosby. Look at Vancouver - basically a piece of crap roster but with solid team play and a great goalie, they are a serious force. Then compare with Washington - Ovechkin, but they're still garbage. A great goalie gives average teams a chance to win a Cup. I've yet to see a single offensive superstar carry an average team all the way to the Finals. Come to think of it, even Gretzky and Lemiuex had impressive supporting casts.

So I'll keep Price, thanks.

Well let's start filling up the water coolers in Washington's conference rooms!

The EA sports anaology can get pretty old when in fact some crazy trades have occured in the NHL. To top it all off this is not that crazy.

Fitting everyone under the cap wouldn't be easy, but not impossible. When you round off like you have you get to the cap limit rather quickly. If analyzed a little realistically you would find that with the line up I've listed plus the young farm talent we have to fill holes it CAN be done. The cap WILL go up in the next two years. Hence the" we should prepare now "part. Not to mention we will probably let Kovalev go at the end of his contract so you now have an extra 4.5 million to play with, or give to Vinny.

I rounded off (on the low side likely) because I didn't feel it was valid enough to put forth an honest effort.

Vinny really didn't have a chance to sign with the habs yet.

The only option he had was as a RFA, and for that a team has to make an offer and give TB the chance to match with a 5 first round picks as compensation.

An offer was never made so "his chance" has never happened. The Canadiens wouldn't give up 5 firsts for anyone.

Vinny really didn't have a chance to sign with the habs yet.

I could've taken a one year deal knowing that montreal would've given him top money. but, tampa bay in the winter isn't a bad situation either.

I could've taken a one year deal knowing that montreal would've given him top money. but, tampa bay in the winter isn't a bad situation either.

vinny adopted that same New Jersey Devil Goalie attitude (whats his name again?) away from the spotlight and beachfront property! he aint coming to Mtl anytime soon!

things like that make me sad! Oh well who can blame them ... just dont want him when he's 37 and wants to finish with at least one year in MTL

vinny adopted that same New Jersey Devil Goalie attitude (whats his name again?) away from the spotlight and beachfront property! he aint coming to Mtl anytime soon!

things like that make me sad! Oh well who can blame them ... just dont want him when he's 37 and wants to finish with at least one year in MTL

I dont think that sidney would appreciate.

Mark Recchi's been a healthy scratch 4 of the past 5 games in Pittsburgh.

Anyone see him recently and think this old habs and Koivu buddy might still have something left in the tank to offer our top lines?