Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Mark Recchi's been a healthy scratch 4 of the past 5 games in Pittsburgh.

Anyone see him recently and think this old habs and Koivu buddy might still have something left in the tank to offer our top lines?

Recchi in Montreal? Please no...

Mark Recchi's been a healthy scratch 4 of the past 5 games in Pittsburgh.

Anyone see him recently and think this old habs and Koivu buddy might still have something left in the tank to offer our top lines?

not even a little.

If the Habs were inclined to run and gun you might be able to begin a conversation where I might listen to trading Price.

But everything about this organization points to rebuilding through strong 2 way forwards, strong defence and a franchise goalie. Clue 1, look at management.

If Gainey trades Price without acquiring a superstar goalie back then he become John Ferguson jr. You do not gut your plan when it is just beginning to come to fruition. Timmons shocked the hockey world when he drafted Price, they see him as the cornerstone to this rebuild.

Acquiring Ovechkin and allowing Carbonneau/Gainey to use him is like Paris Hilton buying underpants. What is the point?

Do we really want to see Ovechkin get 80 points per year learning to defend his own zone?

This team is going to live and die with a future core of Price in goal.

Markov/Komisarek/McDonagh/Emelin/Valentenko on defence

Koivu/Higgins/Kostitsyn/Kostitsyn/Plekanec/Chipchura

They are then going to have to make smart evaluations on their youth to acquire the Superstar to put them over the top.

This team is going to grind out wins and have their goaltender be their best player. Much in the same vein as the 86/93 team. Gainey is not locked into any bad contracts, is under the cap now, has the flexibility should something arise to allow Ryder and Huet to walk and has a stacked minor league system to sweeten deals when teams are looking to dump salary.

When this team makes the leap it is going to be sudden to most of the NHL.

Acquiring Ovechkin for Price now will put us back years because you would have to change an organizational philosophy.

It has nothing to do with talent level. But that is why I would not make that deal.

That's a pretty safe bet. I was curious if anyone thought he'd be useful for the rest of this year at the expense of say, a 3rd to 5th round pick.

only if Smolinski's going the other way :P

They are then going to have to make smart evaluations on their youth to acquire the Superstar to put them over the top.

This team is going to grind out wins and have their goaltender be their best player. Much in the same vein as the 86/93 team. Gainey is not locked into any bad contracts, is under the cap now, has the flexibility should something arise to allow Ryder and Huet to walk and has a stacked minor league system to sweeten deals when teams are looking to dump salary.

We're locked into one bad contract: Hamrlik. We'll still be overpaying him when he's 37. I like the guy, but 5.5 mil for the end of the career is a bad move. I am seriously worried about Gainey's ability to get a deal. We should have paid about 2 millions less between Markov and Hamrlik. Are Komisarek, Higgins and Plex all going to get 4 or 5 million a year?

We're locked into one bad contract: Hamrlik. We'll still be overpaying him when he's 37. I like the guy, but 5.5 mil for the end of the career is a bad move. I am seriously worried about Gainey's ability to get a deal. We should have paid about 2 millions less between Markov and Hamrlik. Are Komisarek, Higgins and Plex all going to get 4 or 5 million a year?

With inflation, the rising cap (not sure how much longer or by how much it will continue to rise, but rise it will again I'm sure), etc. I don't think the $5.5M in year four will look as bad as it does right now, in year 1.

With inflation, the rising cap (not sure how much longer or by how much it will continue to rise, but rise it will again I'm sure), etc. I don't think the $5.5M in year four will look as bad as it does right now, in year 1.

I think it'll look even worse when he's 37. We can't use a potential rising cap as an excuse for paying too much money. Hamrlik was not highly sought after in the off season, we should have got him for 4 million a year or so.

I think it'll look even worse when he's 37. We can't use a potential rising cap as an excuse for paying too much money. Hamrlik was not highly sought after in the off season, we should have got him for 4 million a year or so.

Are you kidding I know he is getting a lot of money but he is earning every penny and more. Hamrlik is the best defensive defenseman on the team and he is great at the first pass. I would go as far as to say he is one of the best 20 defenseman in the league.

Are you kidding I know he is getting a lot of money but he is earning every penny and more. Hamrlik is the best defensive defenseman on the team and he is great at the first pass. I would go as far as to say he is one of the best 20 defenseman in the league.

much agreed.

I know it's 65% crap, but on both sportsline and tsn.ca he is 12th

Thank you.

When Montreal first signed Hamrlik I was upset at the amount he was being paid but in reality he is not overpaid one cent which is very rare for a UFA.

But his argument is he will be overpaid in the last year of the contract. Something that neither can argue because

1. We have no idea how he will perform 4 years from now

2. We don't know if the cap goes up or down

If he performs like this for the whole deal then it was a good signing even if the cap does not rise.

If he declines year to year in the last year Gainey may regret the deal.

Personally, I think 37 is not what it used to be. 20 years ago it was tough to find a guy making a solid

contribution at 37. Look at Chelios, Sundin, Hasek, Shanahan. These guys are still productive after 35.

37 is not that old anymore

But his argument is he will be overpaid in the last year of the contract. Something that neither can argue because

If he performs like this for the whole deal then it was a good signing even if the cap does not rise.

Personally, I think 37 is not what it used to be. 20 years ago it was tough to find a guy making a solid

contribution at 37. Look at Chelios, Sundin, Hasek, Shanahan. These guys are still productive after 35.

Yeah your right it will be a pure hindsight thing.

I also agree on the second part and Hamrlik seems to be the type of guy to take care of his body.

He's playing well, but if you think that Hamrlik is earning every penny then we should be doling out a few more five-million dollar contracts to just keep the status quo. It's safe to say that his skill and production will decline (and risk of injury will increase) as he hits his late thirties, that's the case with most players, guys like Chelios are the exception. I look at Hannan's contract, the same length for 4.5 a season, and he was widely accepted as a more sought after player. Hamrlik is an important part of the team, but so are Komisarek, Higgins, and Plekanec, and we've been setting a terrible precedent of giving players more than what they would have otherwise gotten.

long term contracts for 30+ UFAs are essentially exercises in amortization. You generally get a lower AAV when you sign a long term contract. Of course you are overpaying for performance in the last year, but you are usually getting a deal in the early years (as opposed to short term contracts).

He's playing well, but if you think that Hamrlik is earning every penny then we should be doling out a few more five-million dollar contracts to just keep the status quo. It's safe to say that his skill and production will decline (and risk of injury will increase) as he hits his late thirties, that's the case with most players, guys like Chelios are the exception. I look at Hannan's contract, the same length for 4.5 a season, and he was widely accepted as a more sought after player. Hamrlik is an important part of the team, but so are Komisarek, Higgins, and Plekanec, and we've been setting a terrible precedent of giving players more than what they would have otherwise gotten.

Who has received more than they would have gotten elsewhere?

Shanahan, lol, at least name Skic please...

The Hammer is a plus seven on a minus team. ENOUGH SAID!!!!

Well said. Along with the plus 7, a huge stabilizing force on the backend. Well see if he can keep it up for 4 years, but for now a solid addition and the Habs would be nowhere near where they are without his contribution.