Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

besides, a hossa would take a huge chunk of caproom. money that will be needed to sign guys like the kostitsyns, komisarek, price....

Yep, and this - along with the possible asking price, of course - is the only reason not to acquire him, assuming a deal can be made.

I'm not sure how compelling a reason it is, though. The cap seems to keep inflating, and it is possible to be too conservative on these matters. Consider the way some people criticized the Kovalev contract, which right now looks brilliant. Hossa is a bona-fide elite scoring winger, a serious all-star and consistent offensive producer. He might be worth the money.

The point of having a top-flight 'developmental' organization is that you can lock in a core of indispensable players and simply rotate out the rest, replacing them with rising, and cheaper, young guys. Obviously Price and Komisarek are part of that projected core; the rest is a bit up in the air. Koivu, for instance, may be out of the picture within 3 years, clearing up $5 mil right there.

Another way to look at it is: do you really expect any of our young guys to become *better* than Hossa, who isn't even 30 yet? So why not sign Hossa?

And look at teams like the Sens and Detroit. They have high-value superstars locked in, while being sure not to fall into the Tampa trap of strangling their salary structure. I don't think having one or two highly-paid stars is death in a cap system, necessarily.

Considering all the young talent in the organization this team could put out a quality 4th line for under $5M and a quality 3rd line for under $5M...not to mention that the back-up goalie and final pairing d-men could all be signed for under $3M combined.

That's $13M for almost half the team...

Consider that the Salary Cap is expected to be $57M next season...and assume the Habs will spend up to $53M...that leaves $41M to be spent on our top 4 d-men and top 6 forwards...an AVERAGE salary of 4.1M per player...also consider that the team has a few potential(depending on how it shakes out) top 6 guys making under $4.1M(ie. Higgins, Pleks, Komisarek, AK, SK, Latendresse)...I think it's fair to say that you can easily have a couple of young players on your top 2 lines that will allow you to have a couple of marquee guys with bigger contracts.

I see no reason why they can't manage a payroll, next year, that looks something like(looking more at payroll guys):

Higgins-Koivu-Hossa ($15M)

AK-Pleks-Kovalev ($7.5M)

SK-Chipchura-Lats ($2.5M)

Begin-Lapierre-Kostopoulos ($2.5M)

Markov-Komi ($9.5M)

Hamrlik-Streit ($9M)

O'Byrne-Bouillon(($2.5M)

Huet - Price/Halak ($6M)

That's a $54.5M payroll...and pretty reasonable dollars per line given current contract status amounts and accounting for some increases to the RFA's...it's doable and likely wouldn't hurt the future signings of players. As the younger guys get better you start to jettison the older guys who would be becoming overpaid...it has to be a cycle. Even left the team $2.5M if the cap hits the projected $57M amount.

Personally, I'd deal Koivu, Ryder and Huet this deadline, in an effort to get guys like Jokinen and Hossa on the team and signed...yes, I know it would take some picks and prospects.

I'd hand Price and Halak the reigns for next season...

Would leave the team with a LOWER payroll to the above scenario, have a MUCH better top line, a very good 2nd line and essentially the same D and 3rd/4th units. I also think a Price/Halak platoon would be good enough to take this team deep into the playoffs.

Then, when our younger guys like Price, Pleks, AK, Higgins, SK, Komi, Lats, etc...all need to get their pay bumps you deal Jokinen and Hossa to clear salary room and acquire the prospects/picks to continue the cycle that teams like Detroit have going.

why does Koivu always appear in the trade wish list. Unless the team along with carbo gainey and Gillet sign a petitioning letter asking him to waive his NTC... then mentioning Saku Koivu being traded is simply a moot topic

why does Koivu always appear in the trade wish list. Unless the team along with carbo gainey and Gillet sign a petitioning letter asking him to waive his NTC... then mentioning Saku Koivu being traded is simply a moot topic

Because it's a wish list...thought that was self explanatory...

I really think there is a 0% of Gainey dealing Saku this year. From Bob's standpoint, he just doesn't do that with vets, let alone a captain. If the cap increases to 57m (! - well done Gary!), then he can keep on his building plan w/o giving up a lot. Part of his plan is to make the Habs almost un-refuse-able to vets (I have a feeling it is a very sore point in management that Briere went for less money but to what he perceived as a better organisation; same with Ryan Smyth). Jettisoning your captain during the season isn't going to help that image.

That said, on a wish list, of course I'd go for Jokinen (first), then Hossa for our 'new' top line. Wait, call Eklund!

I've always wondered about us dealing with the Kings. Love Cammalleri. We have D and goalies...

because he's aging, because he slowed down. because years and years of hard working and sickness have taken a toll on his body. also because plekanec as taken the number one centre job and will command a huge salary real soon.

of course there's the NTC. if he doesn't want to move, he wont. however I just dont think that koivu will be in montreal in a few years, so maybe if there right team called( like a anaheim or sanjose) maybe he'd listen.

:hlogo: Go after a big tough D-man who can log lots of minutes and play with Hamrlik on the second pairing. Trade Ryder, O'Byrne, Chipchura and Kostopolous to Phoenix for N. Boynton and F. Sjostrom. Then Trade for one of the best face-off men in the league M. Sillinger. Trade Begin, Dandenault, Gorges and the rights to Perezhogin to NYI for Sillinger, T. Hunter and R. Martinek. Then we look like this Goal: Huet, Price D: Komisarek/Markov, Boynton/Hamrlik, Martinek/Bouillon 7'th man Briseboise. Up Front : Kostitsyn/Plecanek/Kovalev, Higgins/Koivu/Sjostrom, Latendresse/Sillinger/Kostitsyn, Lapierre/Smolinski/Hunter. Throw in Milroy and Locke if needed be to make these deals. Also this leaves us M. Streit to trade to NYR as they badly need a puck moving D-man ask for P. Parenteau to play in Hamilton. Also I would make a minor league trade J. Gleed for F. Lessard and then sign Lessard to a contract and call him up as our extra forward to dress when we need a tough guy. When all is said and done we would have one of the best defense in the league with four good solid lines. And sit Smolinski if we need a tough guy dressed and go with Lessard/Lapierre/Hunter as the fourth line.

Dude, must have taken a while to think this up, but in my opinion, the Habs are dumping their 4th liners and a couple of youngsters who don't have top line or d-man potential for other adequate parts. I'd much rather see a deal for a top-line talent, not just 'scraps' for 'scraps'

:hlogo: Go after a big tough D-man who can log lots of minutes and play with Hamrlik on the second pairing. Trade Ryder, O'Byrne, Chipchura and Kostopolous to Phoenix for N. Boynton and F. Sjostrom. Then Trade for one of the best face-off men in the league M. Sillinger. Trade Begin, Dandenault, Gorges and the rights to Perezhogin to NYI for Sillinger, T. Hunter and R. Martinek. Then we look like this Goal: Huet, Price D: Komisarek/Markov, Boynton/Hamrlik, Martinek/Bouillon 7'th man Briseboise. Up Front : Kostitsyn/Plecanek/Kovalev, Higgins/Koivu/Sjostrom, Latendresse/Sillinger/Kostitsyn, Lapierre/Smolinski/Hunter. Throw in Milroy and Locke if needed be to make these deals. Also this leaves us M. Streit to trade to NYR as they badly need a puck moving D-man ask for P. Parenteau to play in Hamilton. Also I would make a minor league trade J. Gleed for F. Lessard and then sign Lessard to a contract and call him up as our extra forward to dress when we need a tough guy. When all is said and done we would have one of the best defense in the league with four good solid lines. And sit Smolinski if we need a tough guy dressed and go with Lessard/Lapierre/Hunter as the fourth line.

:popcorn:

:hlogo: Go after a big tough D-man who can log lots of minutes and play with Hamrlik on the second pairing. Trade Ryder, O'Byrne, Chipchura and Kostopolous to Phoenix for N. Boynton and F. Sjostrom.

you want to trade OByrne in order to get a tough Dman !!?? have you watched any games this year ?? he'll be as tough as komisarek in a year

I think we could get someone pretty decent for the rights of Perezhogin since hes doing really good back in Russia. :P

with the salary he gets from there I dont think that perezhogin is coming back anytime soon.

Making oe trade is hard enough inthe new NHL, and you think that you can make 3 trades in the blink of an eye??

Be serious here. This isn't NHL 2008 on your playstation!

Making oe trade is hard enough inthe new NHL, and you think that you can make 3 trades in the blink of an eye??

Be serious here. This isn't NHL 2008 on your playstation!

I'm not defending or praising anyones trade thoughts BUT I think a bigger problem is that some GM's, like Gainey, simply aren't pulling the trigger.

Sure, loads of guys thinks it's as easy as their fantasy league to get a deal done...but I also don't think it's so difficult that it should be done as infrequently as the Habs deal...

You can make deals and get better rapidly...as much as I despise Bobby Clarke the Flyers have made lots of trades over the years and have done it to improve rapidly this past year. Some of the deals the Flyers make are outrageous...but they still make them and get/remain competitive, granted some years they're more competitive then others but they're never down for long.

I'm not defending or praising anyones trade thoughts BUT I think a bigger problem is that some GM's, like Gainey, simply aren't pulling the trigger.

Sure, loads of guys thinks it's as easy as their fantasy league to get a deal done...but I also don't think it's so difficult that it should be done as infrequently as the Habs deal...

You can make deals and get better rapidly...as much as I despise Bobby Clarke the Flyers have made lots of trades over the years and have done it to improve rapidly this past year. Some of the deals the Flyers make are outrageous...but they still make them and get/remain competitive, granted some years they're more competitive then others but they're never down for long.

Most of Clarke's trades did not help the Flyers at all and really led to their demise. It is only since he is Gone and with a new General Manager have the Flyers improved significantly. Would not use Clarke to justify making trades. Not even for fantasy hockey.

I wonder what it would take to get Jokinen out of Florida? Ryder, Emelin, and a 1st?

Good question but maybe it will need to start with the GM willing to make a big leap of faith if he thinks this is the player to really help the team reach the next level.

Ottawa and Carolina juste made a major move.

To Carolina: Corve & Eaves

To Ottawa: Stillman & Commodore

An other one Eklund didn't predict :lol:

Oh yeah well he might not have predicted it but he posted his like minutes (30 or so) after TSN did so yeah maybe his sources didn't get back to him or maybe his dog had to go outside to pee and he was waiting for verification!

It's a wonder how his kids can take him seriously.

Edited by OneSharpMarble

The wife is happy as hell with that trade. Ottawa is defintely laying it on the line this year. They want the cup big time. Scary team just improved. I am not happy.