Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Well we can't say Bob didn't give his best offer, if Waddell is waiting for other teams best offer to play them off each other.

It's come down to the wire, and I'm sure if we don't get him people will be (once again like last year) all over Bob...............

Sports net reported Pittsburgh the front runner for Hossa now. Staal plus other players

I hope Waddel gets left holding Hossa wondering WTF happened.

Gainey would be smart to start lining up his secondary ducks if he wants to play games.

If Pittsburgh gives up Staal for a Hossa rental they are idiots

Edited by Wamsley01

I think they could still move Ryder out west. I think they need a big tough centre.

We'll know soon enough about Hossa.

Bg exhausts all avenues, he won't make a dumb move. I think the Huet deal is fine.

:mellow: Simple, Huet's days were done. I wouldn't want to give up a 2nd rounder for a 3 month rental seive, therefore that was a win. I wouldn't have given Higgins, Lappierre and Grabovski and a 1st for Hossa and that was about what the Pens gave. There loss long term. No, we may be disappointed, but Bob did well. The farm is intact and we got a 2nd for a leaving UFA that has stunk of late. On top of that we have lots of cap room for off season deals. Now if only PQ tax laws would change.

Who got substantially better?

Pittsburgh? Well they were going to get Crosby back anyways.

The habs were most likely not going to pass them.

Philly? They lost Richards for 3 weeks, they are not substantially better.

Washington? Is Huet that much better than Kolzig?

The Habs are fine, they are not Cup contenders this year so why mortgage the future for a guy that is determined to test the Free Agent waters.

Gainey is going to learn a hell of a lot about this team in the next 5 weeks, it will help in his decisions come summertime.

I have no problem in what he did. This team is being built from the foundation, no shortcuts.

I’ll tell you what is pissing me off. This shitty server going down 50 times on the biggest day of the season.

I appreciate Wamsley's perspective, but it's hard to look at this and say that Gainey did not get burned.

First, if the goal was to trade UFAs you can't re-sign or don't want to re-sign - which would explain the Huet trade – then WHY KEEP RYDER? Indeed, he and Huet together could have been the nucleus of an offer to beat, say, Dallas's offer for Richards. (Just an example). So that argument is a wash. If the point was to get value back for UFA assets, Bob failed to do this. We had two significant UFAs we were unlikely to resign, Huet and Ryder, and what he we got to show? One 40th overall pick (or thereabouts), while the other is still playing out the string with us, likely to vanish in the summer.

If, on the other hand, the point was to move Huet to make room for Hedberg/Hossa, as had been rumoured right to the last second, then Waddell simply screwed Gainey over big-time, or Gainey screwed himself. Either Wadell misled Gainey into thinking they had a deal before he shipped out Huet, OR Gainey simply (and uncharacteristically) acted prematurely in shipping Huet to the Caps, before he had Hossa sealed and delivered. I'm guessing the first of these scenarios is closer to the truth. And I'll bet Gainey is even now letting it be known to the other GMs that Wadell is not a man of his word, just a dishonourable pr*ck.

The only other possibility I can see is that Gainey came to an arbitrary decision that he wanted to unload one soon-to-be-gone UFA but not another, weakening the team's depth in nets for the stretch drive. But this makes no sense, since if they wanted to give Price the #1 job they could simply have done so. If they wanted Halak as backup they could have called him up and let Huet stew in the press box.

So the only possibilities I can see are that Bob either screwed up, or got screwed. I’m betting the latter.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I’ll tell you what is pissing me off. This shitty server going down 50 times on the biggest day of the season.

Was it only 50 times? I know I clicked refresh at least 300 times. :D

The way I see it, this is a lot like the FA signing period. Every one was pissed when Gainey didn't do much, but ultimately it turned out well for us. Bob didn't want to sacrifice our future for a possible rental player, and thus didn't let himself get fleeced. I just wish he hadn't gotten our hopes up at the GM conference.

I'm still not sold on the Huet deal, but I'm looking forward to seeing the Price/Halak tandem. Let's hope they'll be as good as we all dreamed they would be back in the summer.

So the only possibilities I can see are that Bob either screwed up, or got screwed. I’m betting the latter.

Allowing yourself to be put in the position to be screwed is in itself a screw-up, so the point is moot: Bob Gainey screwed up....PERIOD. :angry:

I appreciate Wamsley's perspective, but it's hard to look at this and say that Gainey did not get burned.

First, if the goal was to trade UFAs you can't re-sign or don't want to re-sign - which would explain the Huet trade – then WHY KEEP RYDER? Indeed, he and Huet together could have been the nucleus of an offer to beat, say, Dallas's offer for Richards. (Just an example). So that argument is a wash. If the point was to get value back for UFA assets, Bob failed to do this. We had two significant UFAs we were unlikely to resign, Huet and Ryder, and what he we got to show? One 40th overall pick (or thereabouts), while the other is still playing out the string with us, likely to vanish in the summer.

If, on the other hand, the point was to move Huet to make room for Hedberg/Hossa, as had been rumoured right to the last second, then Waddell simply screwed Gainey over big-time, or Gainey screwed himself. Either Wadell misled Gainey into thinking they had a deal before he shipped out Huet, OR Gainey simply (and uncharacteristically) acted prematurely in shipping Huet to the Caps, before he had Hossa sealed and delivered. I'm guessing the first of these scenarios is closer to the truth. And I'll bet Gainey is even now letting it be known to the other GMs that Wadell is not a man of his word, just a dishonourable pr*ck.

The only other possibility I can see is that Gainey came to an arbitrary decision that he wanted to unload one soon-to-be-gone UFA but not another, weakening the team's depth in nets for the stretch drive. But this makes no sense, since if they wanted to give Price the #1 job they could simply have done so. If they wanted Halak as backup they could have called him up and let Huet stew in the press box.

I also thought about Waddell possibly pulling a fast one on him. The way he conducted himself and waiting until 2:59 I am sure has left a bad taste in Murray and Gainey’s mouth. All the other big deals were made without dragging it to the deadline. And to be honest, he did all that to land Christienson, Armstrong and Esposito? I think he has just added to his reputation from the last deadline when he grossly overpaid for Zhitnik and Tkachuk. He is a moron.

As far as dealing Huet, I could care less. Huet has been given ample opportunity over the last 2 seasons to prove he is an elite level goalie and has failed. Price faltered and we went back to out stoic veteran who picked him up and saved the day….I mean, our veteran who shit the bed.

There are a million variables that could have gone on here. So I am going to rely on the trust I placed In him to get us where we presently stand.

He did not compromise the future for a long shot run, he gets to evaluate the kids in pressure situations, he gets to see what Grabovski and Halak can do in the NHL and If they falter he will make decisions on the lack of veteran leadership that lead us to another collapse.

If by next season he stays put once again after having all this time to evaluate the youth and assess who he wants to keep, then I will be grumpy. But not this season.

I also thought about Waddell possibly pulling a fast one on him. The way he conducted himself and waiting until 2:59 I am sure has left a bad taste in Murray and Gainey’s mouth. All the other big deals were made without dragging it to the deadline. And to be honest, he did all that to land Christienson, Armstrong and Esposito? I think he has just added to his reputation from the last deadline when he grossly overpaid for Zhitnik and Tkachuk. He is a moron.

As far as dealing Huet, I could care less. Huet has been given ample opportunity over the last 2 seasons to prove he is an elite level goalie and has failed. Price faltered and we went back to out stoic veteran who picked him up and saved the day….I mean, our veteran who shit the bed.

There are a million variables that could have gone on here. So I am going to rely on the trust I placed In him to get us where we presently stand.

He did not compromise the future for a long shot run, he gets to evaluate the kids in pressure situations, he gets to see what Grabovski and Halak can do in the NHL and If they falter he will make decisions on the lack of veteran leadership that lead us to another collapse.

If by next season he stays put once again after having all this time to evaluate the youth and assess who he wants to keep, then I will be grumpy. But not this season.

Well, I don't think the loss of Huet will have any impact in the long run. But I don't see the sense in hurting yourself for no reason and minimal return in the short run, either. Huet should have remained with us as a good 'room' guy and to add to our depth in goal for our playoff drive.

As for Wadell, well, if you think that Huet is a pretty good goalie and that our depth in goal was a team strength, then he did achieve one thing with his admittedly dumb trade: weakening a conference rival for the stretch run.

I have full faith in Bob, but THIS was a bungle. Hopefully either Halak or Price will find the zone and this bungle will prove to be insignificant. But the point of trade deadline day is to strengthen your team for now or for the future, and he achieved neither.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber