Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I think the Sundin move is merely Gainey dipping his toe into the pool, seeing if Sundin would come to Montreal, what kind of deal he's looking for and how it fits into Gainey's all-around plans. If Gainey wanted to make a definitive move for Sundin, I think it would have been done before this. We're ten days away from July 1st when permission isn't necessary.

i think i would of rather have Mike Cammalleri then Alex Tanguay..mike makes less and is younger...i dont know

But I'd rather have Tanguay than the 25th overall pick, thanks. Sheesh. Ever heard that line about gift horses - ? Besides, Sundin makes Cammalleri look like a pile of puke. ^_^ And Cammalleri would be a bit redundant if we DO sign big Mats.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

From a very reliable source (NOT EKLUND); it has pretty much been confirmed that BG is looking to sign Sundin (says Doug Jarvis's son)

Not going to get into details how i heard this...but lets hope Bob inks him!

From Canadiens.com

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service...rticleid=366556

OTTAWA – Sometime on Thursday night, a phone call was placed by Bob Gainey to Mats Sundin at his home in Sweden. You can bet that any player in the Habs’ dressing room would be more than happy to cover those long distance charges.

Having now secured exclusive rights from the Maple Leafs to speak to Sundin, Bob Gainey and the Canadiens will now have every opportunity to lure the coveted free agent to-be to Montreal.

While rival teams were huddled around their respective draft tables focused on the long term futures of their teams, Gainey was busy inching closer to a deal which would immediately bolster an already potent Canadiens offense.

“I got to speak to Mats late last night,” revealed Gainey of the most talked about phone call in the NHL right now. “We didn’t talk for very long. I would qualify it as an introduction, on both sides. I let him know that we believe he would be good fit for our team and that we would now have the time to get to know each other even better over the next couple of days.”

Gainey will now have an exclusive window to negotiate with Sundin, leading up to when the 37-year-old will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

“We didn’t get into any specifics yet like dollar figures,” confirmed Gainey. “Mats now knows that we have every intention of showing him why Montreal is the place for him.”

The Canadiens’ GM is well aware of what the longtime Leafs captain could bring to his up and coming young team.

“Acquiring an experienced impact player like Sundin will not only help our younger players, but also allow us to better compete with the top teams in the league,” explained Gainey. “We’ve been patient and built our team through the draft. We’ve now reached a point where it’s time to bring in the right veteran players to get us where we want to be.”

Manny Almela is a writer for canadiens.com

Edited by l<OV4L3V

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20080622...28/CPSPORTS0101

Makes you wonder what SJ GM wanted to talk about with Bob.

Marleau?

If so, would Marleau have been better fit than Tanguay?

Hee hee, fun stuff. I'm happy with Tanguay but would have preferred Marleau. Definitely, though, Sundin PLUS Tanguay beats Marleau. Which is probably Bob's thinking too.

Hee hee, fun stuff. I'm happy with Tanguay but would have preferred Marleau. Definitely, though, Sundin PLUS Tanguay beats Marleau. Which is probably Bob's thinking too.

Yeah, I was talking with Tony and ... well, it could also have been Campbell.

Yeah, I was talking with Tony and ... well, it could also have been Campbell.

From what I gathered from a TSN article that I read on my phone during church this morning is that the Sharks have given Ottawa, the Rags and the Habs the right to speak with Campbells agent just to make inquiries but not offers. If Bob were to add Sundin and Campbell now you can count on a trade or two happening as well, (Bouillon, Dandy, Begin??)

:hlogo:

From what I gathered from a TSN article that I read on my phone during church this morning is that the Sharks have given Ottawa, the Rags and the Habs the right to speak with Campbells agent just to make inquiries but not offers. If Bob were to add Sundin and Campbell now you can count on a trade or two happening as well, (Bouillon, Dandy, Begin??)

that seems just completely impossible, considering the cap.

that seems just completely impossible, considering the cap.

Right. We already know Campbell is aiming at a certain amount of money because he didn't cooperate with Buffalo. There is really no way we can possibly fit him under the cap unless we dump half our team - or Sundin decides that he loves the Habs and will sign with us for 3M. :rolleyes:

I was just posting what I read. I couldnt remember the exact details.. who knows, maybe Bobs got something completly different up his sleeve and is just using the Sundin thing to keep us on our toes.

Tanabe is on waivers and will be bought out. He may be a cheap alternative to a #7 Dman. I don't think he is great or anything but he can do the same thing as Brisby and is a much better skater, has some expeience.

Tanabe is on waivers and will be bought out. He may be a cheap alternative to a #7 Dman. I don't think he is great or anything but he can do the same thing as Brisby and is a much better skater, has some expeience.

Missed 49 games with a concussion and was marginal before that injury. I'd sooner bring back Breezy. Tanabe is the Rico Fata of d-men.

Anybody else notice Ron Hainsey will be a UFA. Haven't followed him much but couldn't he be a possible replacement for Striet on the powerplay. Not that Hainsey is the be all end all but he was stolen from us, Maybe he could come out of the shell in Montreal where he was drafted and not cost that much.

What do you guys think?

LECAVALIER STAYING IN TAMPA WITH $77M DEAL

BOB MCKENZIE

6/25/2008 11:10:49 AM

The final touches are still being worked on and nothing can be formally announced until July 1, but sources tell TSN the Tampa Bay Lightning and superstar centre Vinny Lecavalier have agreed to terms on a mega-deal that will pay him $77 million over nine years.

The annual salary cap hit to the Lightning will be about $8.55 million for the length of the contract, but the final year of the contract is said to be only for about $3 million, which means that if Lecavalier retired after eight seasons, his average salary would be as much as $9.4 million.

The deal comes with the expected "no-movement" clause and should guarantee that Lecavalier will finish his NHL career with the team that drafted him No. 1 overall.

Sources say there are still some minor structuring aspects of contract required for it to become complete, but the announcement should made on or sometime just after July 1.

Edited by Habsfan

Sadly, this information still won't kill all the Vinny to MTL rumours.

BOB MCKENZIE

6/25/2008 11:10:49 AM

The final touches are still being worked on and nothing can be formally announced until July 1, but sources tell TSN the Tampa Bay Lightning and superstar centre Vinny Lecavalier have agreed to terms on a mega-deal that will pay him $77 million over nine years.

why couldn't anything be announced before July 1? TB has Lecavalier's negotiating rights... other players are re-upping right now.

why couldn't anything be announced before July 1? TB has Lecavalier's negotiating rights... other players are re-upping right now.

I only have a guess but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

The other players re-upping are impending RFA or guys who are about to hit UFA. These guys have expiring contracts - but Vinny is still under contract for a full season before this new contract comes into effect. A player can only be given an extension during the final year of his contract - the day that, according to NHL contracts, is the day the year starts and ends is on July 1st. So on July 1st 2008, everyone's contract status gets updated: impending UFA hit the UFA market, younger guys whose contracts are up hit restricted free agency, and guys who've played three seasons on four-year contracts officially hit the final year of their deals. Vinny needs to wait until he is officially on the final year of his contract (July 1st) until he can sign an extension.

I hope that was clear.