Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

BIG BERT on waivers.

Picking him up for free is tempting, but I think Bob would hold back. When Bert is bought out, we could sign him in the 2-3 mil range.

But I have a feeling someone will pick him up. 1 more year at 4 mil after the cap has just gone up. But he'd be a great big body presence for us.

Picking him up for free is tempting, but I think Bob would hold back. When Bert is bought out, we could sign him in the 2-3 mil range.

But I have a feeling someone will pick him up. 1 more year at 4 mil after the cap has just gone up. But he'd be a great big body presence for us.

He's a risk I'd take .. But there is no way IN HELL the LAffs are gonna pass him up!

I can see this is the beginning of the "washed up players" the habs should pick thread. How many wingers do you want on your team? They can only play 8.

true true... thats why i think the laffs will get him... still after the C position its NHL ready Right wingers were missing in depth. Bert did start improving last year... at 4 mil for one year he is so already gone to all the bottom teams that need a cheap forward with top line possibilities.... as Unlikely as it may be!

besides Im sure Lats is crossing his nuts the Habs manage to get him

If you want Tavares, it'd help to make sure your team sucks as much as possible.

LOL :clap: :clap: u think they will tank one more year!! ahhaha LOL Quite possible!!!

i ALSO THINK f&@ caps on.... Vancouver would be laughing if they can get a hold of Bert if the laughs and other teams pass him up.. Making that Luongo bertuzzi trade even more ludicrous! Aquilini or whatever the owner;s name is will will have phoned Mike Gillis already Im sure

Problem is for the Leafs (among the many they have..... :rolleyes: ) is there's NO guarantee of the #1 pick even/when they finish last overall; they just have better odds.

Promising signs...

Certainly, every time I hear Bob open his mouth I am amazed that players aren't flocking to play for his team. The man radiates inner calm, intelligence, decency, patience, and integrity.

Beyond that, you do kinda have to wonder why a Sundin wouldn't want to play in Montreal, assuming we can offer him a fair contract and that he does indeed want to play. Best building and fanbase in hockey...a familiar environment...best offence in the game...tons of depth and talent up front to help him look good...and a contending club.

It's one of those things where, if he doesn't sign, you just have to shrug and say: what else can ya do?

If he doesn't sign then you just shrug and look on to Hossa.

:hlogo:

No thanks! ^_^ There will be waaay to much competition for Hossa, he'll command a bloated salary and a ridiculously long-term deal - bad idea.

Frankly, I like our team even without Sundin. The same logic that I used going into last year continues to apply: this team will get better by standing still, because many of its young players can reasonably be expected to get better. Keep that in mind, before getting too worked up over this or that UFA.

I don't have much interest at forward in anything other than a centre and as far as defense goes, I don't have much interest in anything except perhaps an offensive D man to play with Hamrlik (although I'd frankly be OK with Gorges or O'Byrne). With Tanguay in the fold, we have more than enough wingers and frankly having either Plekanec or Koivu as 3rd forward is the kind of depth most teams only dream about. Frankly Rolston doesn't do that much for me - I don't see how he is much of an upgrade on Plekanec. Rolston is a a little bit bigger, but he is also much older and Plek is still on the uptick.

If Sundin doesn't sign with us, I think Rolston would be a great fit. He's a 30 goal scorer on a totally defensive team. He can play any position and is great on the PP and PK. Depending on what he wants, I would rather have Rolston than Hossa. He's not scared to go to the dirty parts of the ice, and he's big. There would also be little adjustment from Lemaire's style to Carbo's.

I don't see him as a replacement to Plek by any means. I just feel that his style of play would possibly fill a void.

Edited by BCHabnut

Aside from the possibility of Sundin winning a Cup with the rival Canadiens, I would much prefer Brian Rolston. He's younger, will come cheaper, and is more versatile than Sundin. Excellent in all three aspects of the game, 5-on-5, powerplay, and penalty killing. He has a stellar shot that could easily replace Streit on the point on the powerplay. Perfect fit, in my opinion.

Aside from the possibility of Sundin winning a Cup with the rival Canadiens, I would much prefer Brian Rolston. He's younger, will come cheaper, and is more versatile than Sundin. Excellent in all three aspects of the game, 5-on-5, powerplay, and penalty killing. He has a stellar shot that could easily replace Streit on the point on the powerplay. Perfect fit, in my opinion.

I wholeheartedly agree. In my opinion Sundin is Plan A, and Rolston should be Plan B.

Dreger just said on SC that if Mats doesnt commit by July 1st its on to Hossa for Bob.

Hossa would be a great player to have, but I don't see how he will fit into our current needs or long-term plans. The only way Bob goes after Hossa is if he's got a trade lined up for a C. Hossa is simply too expensive and will be seeking too many years to be appropriate for the Habs.

Dreger just said on SC that if Mats doesnt commit by July 1st its on to Hossa for Bob.

Dreger is the last on Gainey's "list of people I should talk to about my trading/ufa plans".

However, I do believe that we have 7-10M to sign a UFA

and that this 7-10M won't have any ill effect against us for the future, because the cap might continue to go up, because Kovalev and Saku's contract will come to an end, same with Dandy and Cube's contracts, etc... so we can support that.

Who will it be? will it be a signing? a trade? (again, Patrick Marleau rumours??)

Marleau's NTC is kicking in 2 days. No point to trade for him when you might as well take a chance in the UFA market.

At this point, I don't think Hossa is an option for the Habs. Gainey clearly stressed a while ago that now is the critical time to organize his salary structure for years to come. As good as Hossa is, he won't come cheap and my main concern, just like everyone else, is his long term commitment to the team.

For the length and money he wants, he definitely comes with a buyer beware tag.

Sundin to the Rags and Jagr to Montreal? Apparently Sather will only offer a one-year contract while Jagr wants multiple seasons. Dollar figures being tossed around are less than Sundin numbers as well. We may not get stronger down the middle, but whoopah would we have wingers galore. (Trade bait?)

Well, that's a far-fetched rumour anyhow.