Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Sergei's on FB? After a quick search I found these pages:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=156...20.251152063..1

http://www.facebook.com/search/?flt=1&...20.251152063..1

I picked these because they seem to have a high friend count and are off-ice pics. Are any of these really him?

Halak + Gorges for Niemi + Barker seems to be the popular rumour right now. Blackhawks fans on HF boards don't seem to be too opposed to it. Lebrun says they have deals lined up with Kane, Toews and Seabrook but they don't have the money to sign them yet.

But no, it does not work for us. We'd need to dump a million or two somewhere.

nah, not Gorges.

we need to keep some of these guys. no matter what's the talent coming. it might sound odd, but Gorges is one of the longest serving habs player right now.

young, efficient and cheap players like Gorges, Lapierre, should be part of our core, even in harder times.

Sergei's on FB? After a quick search I found these pages:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=156...20.251152063..1

I picked these because they seem to have a high friend count and are off-ice pics. Are any of these really him?

Yes one of them is really him.

Halak + Gorges for Niemi + Barker seems to be the popular rumour right now. Blackhawks fans on HF boards don't seem to be too opposed to it. Lebrun says they have deals lined up with Kane, Toews and Seabrook but they don't have the money to sign them yet.

But no, it does not work for us. We'd need to dump a million or two somewhere.

Halak's trade value is pretty good

The Habs's FO is making sure Price is the real #1 goalie we've been waiting for, so they can trade Halak for something good in return

If you look at the great #1 goalies in the NHL, they start and win lot of games, so they don't need and have super backups.

I wonder if the Habs could get anything interesting for Halak and Sergei Kosty??? I know Sergei's value has dropped since he first came into the league, but I think he still has some value!

There's a rumour floating around about the Kostitsyns going to Edmonton for Cogliano. Edmonton seems to want to get rid of the guy, and obviously they would hope that Gagner and Sergei could re-establish the chemistry they had in junior.

Cogliano is quite possibly the best skating centre in the NHL.

There's a rumour floating around about the Kostitsyns going to Edmonton for Cogliano. Edmonton seems to want to get rid of the guy, and obviously they would hope that Gagner and Sergei could re-establish the chemistry they had in junior.

Cogliano is quite possibly the best skating centre in the NHL.

Are you saying that we'd have to send both Andrei and Sergei Kostitsym for Cogliano? If that's the case, then I say, screw that deal. Cogliano might be good, but do we need another smallish forward (5'9") on this small team??

Are you saying that we'd have to send both Andrei and Sergei Kostitsym for Cogliano? If that's the case, then I say, screw that deal. Cogliano might be good, but do we need another smallish forward (5'9") on this small team??

That would be the heart of the deal. I don't know if we'd get anything else with it. Again, it originated from Garrioch, so probably BS since he isn't around Edmonton or Montreal at this point, and probably just linked the players on each team that are on the trade block and put a deal together out of that.

+1

The K's have so much upside

2 talented wingers for Cogliwhatnot?

Hell no......................

That would be the heart of the deal. I don't know if we'd get anything else with it. Again, it originated from Garrioch, so probably BS since he isn't around Edmonton or Montreal at this point, and probably just linked the players on each team that are on the trade block and put a deal together out of that.

OK, so I'll assume that this rumour is just that...a rumour. AK46 by himself is worth more than Cogliano.

Maybe a straight up Sergei K for Cogliano deal could work, but I still prefer Sergei over Cogliano!

Edited by Habsfan

OK, so I'll assume that this rumour is just that...a rumour. AK46 by himself is worth more than Cogliano.

Maybe a straight up Sergei K for Cogliano deal could work, but I still prefer Sergei over Cogliano!

this guy has 39 goals in 2.25 years Why would we give up the 2 titsys for that? There would have to be a hell of a lot more coming our way. I might consider sk for cogs but only if we know that sk is going to home to russia and we don't get anything for him.

this guy has 39 goals in 2.25 years Why would we give up the 2 titsys for that? There would have to be a hell of a lot more coming our way. I might consider sk for cogs but only if we know that sk is going to home to russia and we don't get anything for him.

Why in the world would anyone trade for a player that is going to leave us for nothing???

Most people have realised Sergei has NO trade value right now...Cogliano is still a young player with a lot of upside.

Akost and Cogliano are probably valued pretty closely...maybe, MAYBE an edge to Akost.

I suspect Kostsytsin has had more PP time and their point totals are still within 10% of each other in each year.

Really, all that happens when I view Kosty's performance is that I get disappointed at his development. He could have been as good as Kopitar...

Why in the world would anyone trade for a player that is going to leave us for nothing???

Most people have realised Sergei has NO trade value right now...Cogliano is still a young player with a lot of upside.

Akost and Cogliano are probably valued pretty closely...maybe, MAYBE an edge to Akost.

I suspect Kostsytsin has had more PP time and their point totals are still within 10% of each other in each year.

Really, all that happens when I view Kosty's performance is that I get disappointed at his development. He could have been as good as Kopitar...

I know some habs fans are guilty of over valuing the prospects but you are guilty of undervaluing them.

SK is a bum and Cogliano is a young guy with potential and upside?

Shake your head

I doubt it...but only time will tell!

You may have missed the sarcasm of only trading sk if we knew for sure he was going back to russia.

You may have missed the sarcasm of only trading sk if we knew for sure he was going back to russia.

I don't think you get know for sure, until he is gone.

I have believed for some time now that Edmonton could be possible trading partner, and more so after watching last Saturdays game with Vancouver. I don’t believe I overvalue our players, I know for sure, I don’t undervalue them either. I don’t believe SK is a ‘bum’, my concern is attitude after the Olympics, will the K-Bros start thinking KHL. Coach Martin is a ‘old school’ thinking coach. He got dumped in Ottawa and Florida and Players just don’t want to play for him. Here he has a 3 line mentality that will soon separate the dressing room.

I have been monitoring the depth charts of St. Louis and Edmonton for most of the last two months for players movement. Back to Edmonton, I would trade Belle, Chipchura, SK and Halak for M Pouliot,Stone and Deslauries as a #2 and backup plan to Price.along with a 2 round draft in 2011.

St. Louis, Backes has been pushed to 3rd. line RW and last weekend moved to second line centre either they are not happy with him or he is not happy with them?. Include Jonas Junland ( just called up today) for AK, D’Agostini and Metropolit is a fair exchange. Trading Edmonton and St. Louis brings our financials back in order making a Plekanec signing possible and very much needed.

A do-nothing GM like Gainey would wait until the season ends then negotiate with Plekanec and act surprised when he opts for free agency.

I on the other hand prefer to act, rather than react. I believe we can sign Plekanec somewhere between $4 million and $5 million, the longer we wait, will mean the most money. The problem we have today is a early offer of 3 years at $4mil. can’t happen until we make a trade that can return us to being ‘cap financially reasonable ‘ If we maintain the team we have now with no trade, then we lose Plekanec.

The easy answer is to dump Hamrlik at $5.5 million. However, where do you find a team to accept that cap hit for a 35 soon to be 36 year old D-man, not even Toronto is that dumb. So in effect we are stuck with him until the end of 10/11. He is playing great today while Markov is on the IR and should meet our needs until his contract expires.

The other fear I see is Price, he also is up for a new contract only he is a RFA. His salary is $850 and $1.4 million in bonuses =$2.200 mil. I can’t see him getting more than $2.million and might be a good value for us of someone at his level of play. Should another GM submit a ‘offer sheet’ for more dollars we might have to let him go and take the 3 first round draft picks. It’s a risk I would consider. As a backup plan, in my first trade with Edmonton, I go after J. Drouin-Deslauriers a backup goalie just in case we lose price, with a mid-level UFA as #1. Gainey could solve the problem by starting the negotiations now to at least know what they both will be asking for.

Edited by v-hab

I don't think you get know for sure, until he is gone.

I have believed for some time now that Edmonton could be possible trading partner, and more so after watching last Saturdays game with Vancouver. I don’t believe I overvalue our players, I know for sure, I don’t undervalue them either. I don’t believe SK is a ‘bum’, my concern is attitude after the Olympics, will the K-Bros start thinking KHL. Coach Martin is a ‘old school’ thinking coach. He got dumped in Ottawa and Florida and Players just don’t want to play for him. Here he has a 3 line mentality that will soon separate the dressing room.

I have been monitoring the depth charts of St. Louis and Edmonton for most of the last two months for players movement. Back to Edmonton, I would trade Belle, Chipchura, SK and Halak for M Pouliot,Stone and Deslauries as a #2 and backup plan to Price.along with a 2 round draft in 2011.

St. Louis, Backes has been pushed to 3rd. line RW and last weekend moved to second line centre either they are not happy with him or he is not happy with them?. Include Jonas Junland ( just called up today) for AK, D’Agostini and Metropolit is a fair exchange. Trading Edmonton and St. Louis brings our financials back in order making a Plekanec signing possible and very much needed.

A do-nothing GM like Gainey would wait until the season ends then negotiate with Plekanec and act surprised when he opts for free agency.

I on the other hand prefer to act, rather than react. I believe we can sign Plekanec somewhere between $4 million and $5 million, the longer we wait, will mean the most money. The problem we have today is a early offer of 3 years at $4mil. can’t happen until we make a trade that can return us to being ‘cap financially reasonable ‘ If we maintain the team we have now with no trade, then we lose Plekanec.

The easy answer is to dump Hamrlik at $5.5 million. However, where do you find a team to accept that cap hit for a 35 soon to be 36 year old D-man, not even Toronto is that dumb. So in effect we are stuck with him until the end of 10/11. He is playing great today while Markov is on the IR and should meet our needs until his contract expires.

The other fear I see is Price, he also is up for a new contract only he is a RFA. His salary is $850 and $1.4 million in bonuses =$2.200 mil. I can’t see him getting more than $2.million and might be a good value for us of someone at his level of play. Should another GM submit a ‘offer sheet’ for more dollars we might have to let him go and take the 3 first round draft picks. It’s a risk I would consider. As a backup plan, in my first trade with Edmonton, I go after J. Drouin-Deslauriers a backup goalie just in case we lose price, with a mid-level UFA as #1. Gainey could solve the problem by starting the negotiations now to at least know what they both will be asking for.

why you quoted me to start your dissertation I have no idea, however I will reply to your points as best as I can.

!. I made a sarcatic joke about trading SK, I would not trade both kotiysyns for cogliano. That is a dumb trade unless we actually know they are leaving.

2. You are trashing Martin just when it looks like guys ARE buying into his system. This team has been competitive with an amazing amount of injuries. At some point injuries do become an excuse. He was very successful in Ottawa even though he never had a 1st string goalie. He quit Florida to come here. I have never heard that players don't want to play for him , do you have some knowledge of this? as to the three line mentality at this point he doesn't have 3 lines he barely has 2. As I recall Scotty Bowman liked to shorten the bench a lot in the 3rd period of a game. I don't know where you are going with that.

As to your St Louis trade, it breaks down to 1 good prospect and 1 good season for ak dags and metro,I think that is too much ak is equiv of backes and dags is equal to junland. That trade I might make. however I do not know enough about the st louis guys to say for sure.

3 your point about pleks is moot, we cannot sign him until after january and he can be signed at any time after that , we are not in a cap situation since we have 45 mill committed next year and the "tagging" rule will not apply no trade is necessary to make deal happen. You can check this with the cap guru dblair but I believe I am right.

4. you say that you don't undervalue players but you say we cannot trade hammer cause he makes 5.5 mill I think you completely wrong. And I think you prove it by also saying that he is playing great (that I agree with) most gm's like to make room for guys who are playing great. The 5.5 don't really mean anything cause it is for one more year. If we are going to trade him this would be the time. I think hammer will be traded this year but it will depend on how the injuries are as to weather we should or not.

5. as to letting price go for 3 1st round drafts they would have to be THE first 3 picks of 2010. He is not going anywhere.

as to your point about Bob being a do nothing GM I will not respond. I have decided that there are certain people who cannot see the light no matter what you do. I think you have to really think about what you say.

I have tried to give my opinion as best I can I don't believe I have been confrontational and I bid you adieu

Edited by habs rule

why you quoted me to start your dissertation I have no idea, however I will reply to your points as best as I can.

!. I made a sarcatic joke about trading SK, I would not trade both kotiysyns for cogliano. That is a dumb trade unless we actually know they are leaving.

2. You are trashing Martin just when it looks like guys ARE buying into his system. This team has been competitive with an amazing amount of injuries. At some point injuries do become an excuse. He was very successful in Ottawa even though he never had a 1st string goalie. He quit Florida to come here. I have never heard that players don't want to play for him , do you have some knowledge of this? as to the three line mentality at this point he doesn't have 3 lines he barely has 2. As I recall Scotty Bowman liked to shorten the bench a lot in the 3rd period of a game. I don't know where you are going with that.

As to your St Louis trade, it breaks down to 1 good prospect and 1 good season for ak dags and metro,I think that is too much ak is equiv of backes and dags is equal to junland. That trade I might make. however I do not know enough about the st louis guys to say for sure.

3 your point about pleks is moot, we cannot sign him until after january and he can be signed at any time after that , we are not in a cap situation since we have 45 mill committed next year and the "tagging" rule will not apply no trade is necessary to make deal happen. You can check this with the cap guru dblair but I believe I am right.

4. you say that you don't undervalue players but you say we cannot trade hammer cause he makes 5.5 mill I think you completely wrong. And I think you prove it by also saying that he is playing great (that I agree with) most gm's like to make room for guys who are playing great. The 5.5 don't really mean anything cause it is for one more year. If we are going to trade him this would be the time. I think hammer will be traded this year but it will depend on how the injuries are as to weather we should or not.

5. as to letting price go for 3 1st round drafts they would have to be THE first 3 picks of 2010. He is not going anywhere.

as to your point about Bob being a do nothing GM I will not respond. I have decided that there are certain people who cannot see the light no matter what you do. I think you have to really think about what you say.

I have tried to give my opinion as best I can I don't believe I have been confrontational and I bid you adieu

First to Habsy, My apologies , There are 26 forum topics and 1 important topic, ‘Permanent Rumor Thread’ and as I scanned through the postings, this was the closest I could find to post my opinions . I agree with you it is ‘bizarre’ and perhaps a ‘General’ thread should be opened. I don’t dare too, as this is a private members sandbox, without first asking permission.

If you want to believe Florida didn’t ‘dump’ Martin that’s ok, My take is, they were more than happy to get rid of him with 1 or 2 years left in his contract as GM. He was relieved as coach and offered the GM job for Financial reasons. Team spirit . . . Think Boynton, Bouwmeester and Devorak who only resigned after Martin was gone. Then go back and check the players that left while he was in Ottawa.

Now Habs Rule, Where and how do I start. Perhaps it’s easier just to take the issues in numerical order in case I slip into another ‘dissertation’. Normally I would just ignore what appeared at first glance to be condescending. There are some that suggest, it is a fine line between condescending and sarcasms .However, I welcome the opportunity to review your assumptions with the information I based my long-winded ‘dissertation’.

#1, I was supporting the idea of trading SK, again, “I don't think you get know for sure, until he is gone”.

#2 , I will let my response above stand, and add if I remember correctly , they traded and/or lost to UFA the core of the team . His success in my opinion is suspect, considering the stacked roster he had in his charge. Bowman rarely shortened his bench to three lines, if ever, also think of the roster he had for his time in Montreal.

#2a, St. Louis Trades, simply a personal preference after following the team for the last 3 years.David Backes would be a good option should Plekanec opt for FA. I’m sure there are many different preferences .

#3, You are correct relative to Plekanec he is on a 1 year contract. However, Price is eligible for negotiation and has been since the start of the season. It wouldn’t hurt to know a ballpark number from his side too plan ahead. CBA rules

CONTRACT RENEGOTIATIONS, EXTENSIONS, AND OPTION YEARS

Players may not renegotiate contracts at any point during the life of the contract. Players may only be signed to contract extensions provided that the player is in the last year of his contract and the player has not signed a 1-year contract. If a player signs a 1-year contract, he is not allowed to negotiate an extension until January 1.

#3a , If we take your $45 million at face value, knowing we have Plekanec, Price, Metropolit, S Kostitsyn, Mara, Bergeron ? , and Pouliot. Most likely I have forgotten someone. The point is, even at $56 million cap there is only $11 million to sign that list.

From 11/22/09 B Larose (aka) dlbalr on Plekanec.

“Pretty much, here's how I look at it. No matter what, they can't really afford to sign him now, so why not wait it out? If he keeps it up, he wasn't fitting in the team's price range anyways but if he slows down, there may be a chance to sign him at a more reasonable rate. There aren't a whole lot of instances where not negotiating during the season is a good thing, but this may very well be one of them.”

#4, I was not suggesting we trade Hamrlik, just the opposite, Hamrlik has a restricted NTC with only 6 teams he will accept a trade with. My point, he is not the “easy answer” to get cap responsible.

Last, Price I was only suggesting should he fall out of our price range and get a ‘offer sheet’ I would consider letting him go for three draft picks. “The first three picks of 2010” I don’t understand.

Perhaps we will cross paths some day in ‘Rolly’s for breakfast. Cheers

I find it interesting that various sources have been talking about Horton and the Habs for the last year now. It may only be Ek for now, but that rumour has risen again. Normally I'd attach no importance to the rumour, but the consistency of these rumours for Horton for such a length of time has me curious.

Even more interesting is that Martin was his coach/GM in Florida.

Cap hit of $3.5M, and he's a big centre.

Edited by Colin

I find it interesting that various sources have been talking about Horton and the Habs for the last year now. It may only be Ek for now, but that rumour has risen again. Normally I'd attach no importance to the rumour, but the consistency of these rumours for Horton for such a length of time has me curious.

Even more interesting is that Martin was his coach/GM in Florida.

Cap hit of $3.5M, and he's a big centre.

i don't think florida are desperate to give him up, how little do we have to give up to get him?