Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

You guys are right about Phaneuf. There is some risk here but the return is massive. He played some really good hockey and then struggled this year. Perhaps he has been misused this year or perhaps he just isn't that good. When he was playing really well he was a beast.

Burke took a struggling goalie with a 4mil cap hit, a speedy forward that can't score with a 4mil cap hit (two more seasons) and turned that into a stanley cup, dominant goalie who is having a rough year.

There are some "ifs" but it looks to me like a huge leaf win.

You guys are right about Phaneuf. There is some risk here but the return is massive. He played some really good hockey and then struggled this year. Perhaps he has been misused this year or perhaps he just isn't that good. When he was playing really well he was a beast.

Burke took a struggling goalie with a 4mil cap hit, a speedy forward that can't score with a 4mil cap hit (two more seasons) and turned that into a stanley cup, dominant goalie who is having a rough year.

Jiggy has been having a couple bad years. He's going to find his groove in TO, with that defense?

Rides a Harley down to the Kays, with some ambiguous friends, and none of them is a hells angels. With all the fame, he's never had a wife, nor been seen in public with a female lover. He is deeeeeeep in the closet.

That is supposed to be evidence that he is gay? A man doesn't have a wife or a girlfriend, so he must be gay. Give me a break. Combined with other stuff, maybe you can have a case. But by itself, that means nothing.

Why is this being discussed, anyways?

Edited by Fanpuck33

That is supposed to be evidence that he is gay? A man doesn't have a wife or a girlfriend, so he must be gay. Give me a break. Combined with other stuff, maybe you can have a case. But by itself, that means nothing.

Haha this is the 'rumours' thread haha.

This bugs me, how do you know he didn't? How do you know he has tried everything to move players, GMs don't come out to the media and say "oh hey we tried to get into this deal by offering x, y and z."

You're absolutely right bar. He has no clue. These sites make me laugh. Opinions turn into fact. Everything get's spun around, to defend a point of view. I enjoy reading it, but everyones a great GM from there basement. Breaking down a game, that's different. Deciding what a GM is doing or not doing, HELLO...

Giguere for Blake/Toskala is a good trade for both teams. The Ducks don't care much about the cap (they won't be approaching the ceiling) and they move a $7m player from next year's roster (his actual salary, $6m is cap hit) who was scheduled to be sitting on the bench for 55+ games a year for a $3m player (his actual salary, $4m is cap hit) who can play on their second/third lines. Toskala is filler for the remainder of the year, a cheaper backup than Giguere. That's way better use of money for the Ducks than before, so it's hardly a raping. Plus, it frees up some salary to sign Bobby Ryan.

For the Leafs, again it's a gamble on past performance/familiarity for Giggy and also buys them a year more to develop Gustavsson.

Rides a Harley down to the Kays, with some ambiguous friends, and none of them is a hells angels. With all the fame, he's never had a wife, nor been seen in public with a female lover. He is deeeeeeep in the closet.

For the 2nd time, Réjean Tremblay has been with Fabienne Larouche for SEVERAL years in the past.

fabienne_larouche.jpg

She may look like a man, but she's not. That being said, did Tremblay turned gay when he turned 50 ?? Maybe, who knows ?

Cuz he wrote Lance et Compte !!!!!

Phaneuf has not struggled this year. He's sucked. And last year as well. One year is a bad season. Two years? Starting to get worrisome. As for the "dominant" goalie, he hasn't been dominant in a while.

Yes, it could very well work out for Burkie, but to say the return is massive and that he won two big trades? Big ifs.

LIKE 99% of trades, it's way too early to tell if the Leafies won this deal. AT THE PRESENT, White was playing better than Phaneuf, so I'd say the Flamers got the better deal, but 2 years down the road, Phaneuf will be hitting his prime, and there's no telling what kind of impact he,ll have with the Leafies!

Edited by Habsfan

There's a pretty big negative side to these trades Toronto has made that I heard Doug Mclean talking about today on the radio. I haven't done the numbers myself but according to Mclean, with the Phaneuf deal, Toronto has now committed half their payroll to their defence, and now, when they sign the Monster, they will be paying their goalies an additional $9 million, which is huge. When you add that up Mclean says they have very little money left to pay for some good forwards. They may now be in serious salary cap problems come this summer.

This is depressing for sure. Burke is not done. And, if he sorts out his cap issues he can target UFA's. The Giguire acquisition has me seething. To think Toskala went the other way is what astounds me. It's sort of as if this was a thank you Burkie for the Anaheim cup you got us deal.

The Phaneuf deal is stupid on Calgary's part (IMO). Pound for pound this trade has merit to see who wins it over time. But at the same time to go against Sutter supporters of the move I would (IMO) like to put forth that the Flames could have done a way better deal over the long haul compared to trading him now.

Welcome Leafs contenders. Not this year but watch out. Hate to say it. Time to eat crow. :puke:

I figure Gainey makes a pre Olympic move. Blockbuster trades can lead to panic that if you wait you might lose. I figure we will have a trade by the end of the week. I don't see this team doing well considering our upcoming opponents. The team must reverse the .5 :puke: trend very soon. If I was Gainey, I'd be chewing my fingernails right now. I hope he doesn't wait too long. I will only be happy under 2 conditions. That is, make a trade for a long term solution or dump the best elements to acquire picks. This would hopefully (if possible) include one extra 4,5,6 and 7th round picks in this draft if we are going to miss the post season. I do not want save the season trades that amount to nothing. This I fear we do.

Toronto Maple Leafs - impressive. :nono:

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Haha am I the only one whos not worried about this trade at all? They get a McCabe player...someone they already had? I'd be more worried if they had of gotten Kovulchuk.

When you're getting paid 6.7M and Ian White is doing better than you, there's nothing to worry about.

I think we should all relax a little. A team made a few trades, and got a nice player, a good defenceman. Sure, it's the hated leafs, but this WAS going to happen, they were going to try to improve. I find it funny how we're supposed to now react. And one other thing, I still think we have better goaltending, regardless of who the goaltending coach in toronto is. I just read Giguere lost the starting job when Allaire was still in anaheim.

I just read that Montreal's bottom two lines for the Vancouver game on Tuesday are:

Lapierre-Metropolit-Moen

Darche-Bergeron-D'Agostini

:wacko: Sweet fancy moses! Those lines are brutal! I don't know what to hope for at this point. A trade seems in order for a top-6 forward but with Cammalleri and A. Kostitsyn out, will it matter?

I like the defense pairings for tomorrow's game:

Markov-O'Byrne

Hamrlik-Gorges

Gill-Weber

I think Martin should be trying to grow O'Byrne and playing him with Markov is a good start. I still say BG should try and move Hamrlik and Gill via trade and incorporate Carle and Subban into the mix. It's time to rebuild the defense core.

Man, still can't stop thinking of those forward lines...

Regardless of going to the Leafs or not. This is a panic "save the season" move by Sutter. The worst moves one can make. Save the saesons can only be defended by getting the ultimate PRIZE!

There are rumours that he has an attitude problem but (if true) if I were Sutter I would have not sacrificed Phaneuf this season. Ian White is the one Leaf on D who I have respected and have been mentioning positively as their most impressive D to my T.O. fans (friends). It's their only fault :P And they are criminals :lol: Still though, in trade stock why not wait and see over the summer or into early next year to deal Phaneuf?

I guess Jaybo must have been to address Phaneuf leaving. Dion rumours have been going for just about a year now.

Thought I revive this pic :lol: What's Kipper doin' smokin too?

kipper-dion-stripclub.jpg

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

lol, as bar said, it's the rumours thread... (good one bar!)

this is public knowledge that is he is the closet. I have no evidence cause I've never seen him do it, nor have any intention to be a part of it.

I am single and have been for a while, I don't feel gay and people would be hard pressed to prove me gay.

however, your interpretation of what I said is some beautiful piece of socratic/aristote way of thinking :

all gay men do not go out with women

tremblay is not going out with a woman

therefore tremblay is gay

LMAO

what I meant is that he's gay. many knows it. he's not really hiding it. however the only evidences are that he's not with a woman and rides to the kays with ambiguous people. I didn't say that he was gay because of that.

The Red Wings and the Devils are EXACTLY the teams that we should be emulating. Teams that don't tank it to succeed. Teams that consistently shrewdly draft mid to late round gems, hire excellent coaches who they don't have to fire every year or two, bcoz it was obvious they hired the wrong guy.

It seems to me that what Gainey is doing is exactly trying to emulate the Devils. They have been a dominant team for 15 years due to Martin Brodeur with a descent cast and a good defensive system. Brodeur's breakout season came in 96-97 when he was 24 and the Devils have been riding him ever since.

If we are going to emulate the Devils we need Price (or Halak but that is much much less likely) to become dominant. This could well happen and if you want to emulate the Devils this is the only way for it to happen.

I just read that Montreal's bottom two lines for the Vancouver game on Tuesday are:

Lapierre-Metropolit-Moen

Darche-Bergeron-D'Agostini

:wacko: Sweet fancy moses! Those lines are brutal! I don't know what to hope for at this point. A trade seems in order for a top-6 forward but with Cammalleri and A. Kostitsyn out, will it matter?

There's nothing wrong with the third line. Everyone one of those guys is a quality NHL third-liner. Admittedly, the 4th is garbage. (Martin should shorten the bench.) But let's not exaggerate weaknesses. (It's like the Phaneuf deal and the panic among Habs fans. It's just wild exaggeration).

As for Peter Puck's point - look. I may be crazy. But I still say this team has a nucleus of quality players (Cammy, Gionta, Gomez, Markov, Pleks if he re-signs, plus good grinders like Lapierre and Moen) who are relatively young and by rights in today's NHL have 4-5 peak years left in them at least. All it will take for this group to become contenders within that span is:

1. one of our goalies emerging as a top-tier netminder. By rights this should happen.

2. perhaps 1-2 young players emerging as top-6 forwards, and

3. perhaps 1-2 guys emerging as top-4 D.

Or if the cap grows we can add established player(s) to the core, to compensate if only 1-2 young guys emerge instead of 3-4.

All this may sound far-fetched, but I just don't see why it is wildly insane to think that three years from now a guy like Pacioretty could have emerged as a quality top-6er, or Subban a top-4 guy. Other teams add quality young parts to the mix within that kind of time frame. Then you factor in continued growth from Pouliot and at least one Kostitysn. In short, IF Gainey can avoid short-term thinking, we could indeed be in a New Jersey-ish position within about three seasons: not a powerhouse, but a damned strong team with a realistic chance.

By year five, we'll be faced with the challenge of replacing Gomez/Gionta, but that's another story.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Looks like another former habs is on the move. Flames picking up Higgins in a deal that includes Jokienin going the other way. This is certainly a better move for the flames then the ridicilous Phaneuf deal.

Just a thought - not a rumour. If Higgins could be signed for around $1.5M as a UFA next year, who would like to see him back in Montreal. I for one would love to him as a 3rd line winger, as long as his role is clearly defined as being that of a 3rd liner. However, now that he is going to the Flames, i'm pretty sure Sutter will try and lock him up.

I do think the Flames could have gotten more for Phaneuf than they did but he is not the great player many people think he is. He has been very average for the past 2 years and he is getting 6.5 million for the next 4 years.

However, the second deal (if it goes through) between the flames and the rangers is just horrible for the flames. Please tell me how this can be considered anything but insane from the flames point of view.

Jokinin hasn't had a very good year but previous to this year his goal totals are: 36, 26, 38, 39, 34, 29. This is a guy who still has value even though he is a UFA. He is the guy the flames got realizing it meant giving up Cammallari. Now they are dumping him (with Prust) for Higgins and Kotalik??? :unsure: Two guys who look like they their best years (which weren't great) are probably behind them (although Higgins might recover). Higgins is a UFA but Kotalik is signed for 2 more years at 3 million per year.

This deal makes no sense at all. Maybe the flames want to rid themselves of Jokinin but why are they saddling themselves with Kotalik and his contract? I am pretty sure they are teams out there that would want Jokinin as a rental for this year's playoff - there was a bidding war for him at the trade deadline last year. Calgary gave up a first round pick and Prust and Lombardi to get him together 3rd round pick less than a year ago.

Maybe Sutter has come to his senses and canceled this trade. If it goes through there will be a lot of unhappy flame fans.

Edited by Peter Puck

Regardless of going to the Leafs or not. This is a panic "save the season" move by Sutter. The worst moves one can make. Save the saesons can only be defended by getting the ultimate PRIZE!

There are rumours that he has an attitude problem but (if true) if I were Sutter I would have not sacrificed Phaneuf this season. Ian White is the one Leaf on D who I have respected and have been mentioning positively as their most impressive D to my T.O. fans (friends). It's their only fault :P And they are criminals :lol: Still though, in trade stock why not wait and see over the summer or into early next year to deal Phaneuf?

I guess Jaybo must have been to address Phaneuf leaving. Dion rumours have been going for just about a year now.

Thought I revive this pic :lol: What's Kipper doin' smokin too?

kipper-dion-stripclub.jpg

Wow, looks like the kind of parties I go to. You'd think these guys would class it up a bit with all the money they are making!

Wow, looks like the kind of parties I go to. You'd think these guys would class it up a bit with all the money they are making!

I'm sure those prostitutes look better than those at your parties... :lol: