Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I have never felt like that in 30 years. When they traded Roy, I rationalized it.

This is different, when apathy begins to set in, then it is a problem and if they made that deal

I would find other shit to do.

I was pissed when Corey brought in an entirely inexperienced staff - Houle, Tremblay, Shutt, Cournveyer - it made NO SENSE!!! Then the Roy trade that followed was just utter stupidity. I could have understood if they traded Roy - but the return - that was like the leafs under Ballard!!

When I heard the habs traded Roy to Colorado, i was actually kind of excited, thinking who did we get, Sakic, Forsburg, Ozolinsh??? what was the packge like. When I heard the return, I was speechless. That combined with the lockout/strike that cost half a year, let me to stop watching hockey as a passionate fan for around 3-4 year period. As a habs fan, i couldn't help but to watch the habs now and then and follow them, to see just how bad they had gotten and follow their moves. But it took along time for me to be able to enjoy hockey again. Koivu drew me back in and I had really high hopes when Gainey came back into the fold.

The signings last summer (mainly pickiing up a contract like Gomez), and the Martin hiring had me afraid that we are going to another dark period. The Gauthier hiring has me scared stiff - his first move sure didn't help matters :puke:

I've been wondering the same thing: if Gauthier turns out to be a blithering fool in the vein of Reggie Houle, would I abandon my life-long allegiance? Probably not. But I sure can see myself disengaging from the fairly high level of day-to-day intensity I bring to fandom nowadays. (E.g., this board is basically a pleasant hobby right now - but who needs to argue endlessly over, say, whether a piece of crap like Patrick Poulin is any good?). After a few bad trades and another descent into total mediocrity, I'd probably restrict my attention to box scores and occasional game-viewings for old time's sake, until I had some specific reason to renew basic hope.

The other option is to do what I did during the Houle years: give up any pretense of the Habs having a chance of doing anything, and instead focus on smaller things: e.g., tracking the development of a promising young player, following the career arc of player A or B, waiting to see if they can upset team X in such-and-such a game, etc.. Believe me, I have NO desire to revert to that pathetic form of fan existence. I just don't know how Leafs fans have done it all these years.

Yeah this is what I did. I focused on a promising young guy by the name of LeClair. I watched the Habs pluck him from obscurity and throw him into the big time - and he was great. I still remember watching his 1st game - he scored twice and seeing all the raw potential he had and thinking he was going to be our next great star. Then he blossomed in the 93 playoffs and I just knew he was destined for greatness.

Then he regresses a little and we throw him away like garbage. Lots of people say he only amounted to anything because he played with Lindros but I don't buy it. He always had showed potential.

Anyhow, having suffered through that, I am quite sure that this is not a good strategy for enduring a long period of horrible years.

Read a rumour from our friend Ek that Chicago is interested in Jaroslav Halak. Interesting. His stock has risen because of the Olympics and there could be no better time to trade him if PG decides that Price is in fact the route to go.

Question is, who would Montreal seek in return? Patrick Sharp's name has always been mentioned in rumours and the Hawks need to dump salary. I wouldn't mind seeing a Halak/Lapierre/Weber deal for Seabrook/Prospect-Draft Pick. Thoughts?

Read a rumour from our friend Ek that Chicago is interested in Jaroslav Halak. Interesting. His stock has risen because of the Olympics and there could be no better time to trade him if PG decides that Price is in fact the route to go.

Question is, who would Montreal seek in return? Patrick Sharp's name has always been mentioned in rumours and the Hawks need to dump salary. I wouldn't mind seeing a Halak/Lapierre/Weber deal for Seabrook/Prospect-Draft Pick. Thoughts?

All I can say is, if our plan is to throw away a 24-year-old quite-possibly-elite-calibre #1 goalie, then we'd better get a young, elite or near-elite position player back. Anything less will be unacceptable.

All I can say is, if our plan is to throw away a 24-year-old quite-possibly-elite-calibre #1 goalie, then we'd better get a young, elite or near-elite position player back. Anything less will be unacceptable.

I'd consider that Doughty kid.

I'd give up anyone on our roster for him - unforuntately i don't think we have anyone that would get the deal done!!!

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I must admit I was really impressed with Doughty throughout the olympics. Too bad he plays in L.A., we rarely get to see him!

Emery is back on IR, who feels like getting the old Halak rumour started again? :P

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=312020

Rumour had the flyers going for either Biron or Ellis, or if they can move salary, Vokum.

I think with the news today that the islanders DiPietro is going on LTIR, Biron may no longer be an option.

Bottom line is, unless we can get Carter back in a deal that included Halak and our excess forward/dman, we couldn't make that deal for cap reasons. Frankly, the flyers arn't going to be willing to do that anyway, so its a moot point.

Yeah this is what I did. I focused on a promising young guy by the name of LeClair. I watched the Habs pluck him from obscurity and throw him into the big time - and he was great. I still remember watching his 1st game - he scored twice and seeing all the raw potential he had and thinking he was going to be our next great star. Then he blossomed in the 93 playoffs and I just knew he was destined for greatness.

Then he regresses a little and we throw him away like garbage. Lots of people say he only amounted to anything because he played with Lindros but I don't buy it. He always had showed potential.

Anyhow, having suffered through that, I am quite sure that this is not a good strategy for enduring a long period of horrible years.

Sounds familiar doesn't it.

I will be pissed if the Habs trade either Price or Halak (outside of a young impact player in return).

Edited by Wamsley01

I agree Wam, I've been thinking this over, if a team offers a RFA sheet for Halak, then draft picks would be the result:

$863,156 or less - None

$863,156 - $1,307,811 - 3rd round pick

$1,307,811 - $2,615,623 - 2nd round pick

$2,615,623 - $3,923,434 - 1st and 3rd round pick

$3,923,434 - $5,231,246 - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick

$5,231,246 - $6,539,061 - Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick

$6,539,061 or more - Four 1st round picks

Now, IF the habs cannot keep Halak due to cap space/Halak not wanting to return, the return from a RFA offer sheet seems to be more than what he would get on the open market. My guess is, the offer would fall into the 1st, 2nd, 3rd category.

I agree Wam, I've been thinking this over, if a team offers a RFA sheet for Halak, then draft picks would be the result:

$863,156 or less - None

$863,156 - $1,307,811 - 3rd round pick

$1,307,811 - $2,615,623 - 2nd round pick

$2,615,623 - $3,923,434 - 1st and 3rd round pick

$3,923,434 - $5,231,246 - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick

$5,231,246 - $6,539,061 - Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick

$6,539,061 or more - Four 1st round picks

Now, IF the habs cannot keep Halak due to cap space/Halak not wanting to return, the return from a RFA offer sheet seems to be more than what he would get on the open market. My guess is, the offer would fall into the 1st, 2nd, 3rd category.

You are right on the money here. The problem is if you don't get someone to put in offer sheet you lose your leverage. Anyway, a lot of our future will be revealed to-night as both the Canadiens and Bulldogs are playing. It is not likely a player in an eminent deal would be allowed to play. The one exception might be Halak in a back-up role. If Price got hurt they would want to nix the deal anyway.

You are right on the money here. The problem is if you don't get someone to put in offer sheet you lose your leverage. Anyway, a lot of our future will be revealed to-night as both the Canadiens and Bulldogs are playing. It is not likely a player in an eminent deal would be allowed to play. The one exception might be Halak in a back-up role. If Price got hurt they would want to nix the deal anyway.

The Habs need the 2 points, so I expect any player that can help them win will start, save the Price over Halak situation.

Not a whole lot going on rumour wise, Torres to Montreal appears to be the one with the most steam at the moment. That being said, it doesn't work under the cap as it is. Mara's being shopped around but if you're surprised by that statement, I haven't been bemoaning the cap situation enough. :)

How can deny the Lindros factor with a simple I don't buy it?? I know it fits nicely into your argument, but Leclair was placed on one hell of a line. Yes, looking back, not a good trade. But let's admit what took place. If anything, it's another example of how we never have a top center.

Edited by Habsy

One point on the Leclair trade. He was lousy and lazy prior to being traded. It was public knowledge that he wanted to play in the USA. I know some people are still annoyed at Savard for making the trade and with Desjardins included as well. But Leclair put the word out and that was it. It's one thing to blame Savard but Leclair's stance put Savard into a position of trade weakness. Modern day example of this would be the Heatley trade to San Jose. Ottawa did well in some regards but Cheechoo? :unsure: The only difference between 1995 and the Heatley situation today is that Heatley let the cat out of the bag in full view of the media. Leclair's unhappiness on the other hand was the worst kept secret in hockey media at the time. It's not by accident Leclair turned it up a notch when he played us. I was not at all happy with him!

Rumour mill is empty and boring which is probably a good thing. An article from thefourthperiod.com is the best report I could find given how close to the deadline we are.

Thefourthperiod - Montreal March 2, 2010

Defenseman Paul Mara will not suit up for the Canadiens tonight when they face off against the Boston Bruins, prompting speculation the Habs are trying to unload him. Various reports claim Gauthier is also interested in bolstering his blueline, as the Habs are believed to be shopping for a top-three defenseman.

How can deny the Lindros factor with a simple I don't buy it?? I know it fits nicely into your argument, but Leclair was placed on one hell of a line. Yes, looking back, not a good trade. But let's admit what took place. If anything, it's another example of how we never have a top center.

So you think Leclair was just a product of Lindros? This has never really made sense.

Sure Lindros was a great player and that definitely helped Leclair. But before Leclair arrived Lindros was very ineffective. Why did Lindros suddenly improve once he was playing with Leclair? Leclair had great skills and he was great after he went to Philly. But he was great in the 93 playoffs too and that was without Lindros.

So you think Leclair was just a product of Lindros? This has never really made sense.

Sure Lindros was a great player and that definitely helped Leclair. But before Leclair arrived Lindros was very ineffective. Why did Lindros suddenly improve once he was playing with Leclair? Leclair had great skills and he was great after he went to Philly. But he was great in the 93 playoffs too and that was without Lindros.

It's not my theory. It's been out there for years. Anyway, nobody has said he was JUST a product of Lindros.

Read on RDS.ca blogs : Carey Price's condo would be on sale.

Another member answered : Yes, and it would appear that he is also selling his N64 with Mariokart, Goldeneye and 2 remotes controls.

:)