Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Another factor in potentially increasing revenue: Versus settling their big dispute with DISH Network and increasing their viewership by a huge margin. The NHL is now drawing their best TV viewership numbers post-lockout. That's got to be a positive for advertising revenue streams and other avenues.

Iginla to montreal would be the ideal choice for the habs simply because of his grit and character that would set the tone for the rest of our players. Imagine reunting Iginla on the same line with Cammelleri. Plus Iginla would be a great captain for the next 3 years. Can anyone tell me why we couldn't trade Halak or Price to chicago for Sharp? I'm so tired regarding the NHL and the failing U.S market. Why doesn't the NHL just do what's right and include 3 more canadian teams which would be Quebec,Winnepeg and Hamilton! About the salary cap, it should be raised to $60,000,000 so teams could have the breathing room to deal,trade,acquire players and lot's more because at the current cap it's very hard for teams to move and very boring for us the fans. :clap: :hlogo: :clap:

Iginla to montreal would be the ideal choice for the habs simply because of his grit and character that would set the tone for the rest of our players. Imagine reunting Iginla on the same line with Cammelleri. Plus Iginla would be a great captain for the next 3 years. Can anyone tell me why we couldn't trade Halak or Price to chicago for Sharp? I'm so tired regarding the NHL and the failing U.S market. Why doesn't the NHL just do what's right and include 3 more canadian teams which would be Quebec,Winnepeg and Hamilton! About the salary cap, it should be raised to $60,000,000 so teams could have the breathing room to deal,trade,acquire players and lot's more because at the current cap it's very hard for teams to move and very boring for us the fans. :clap: :hlogo: :clap:

Raising the cap wouldn't help; all that will happen is that salaries will inflate to accommodate. The reality is that there IS no way around the painful choices that come with a cap. You simply do have to manage the bottom line, draft good players, and make tough choices when you *are* against the cap (e.g., dump Hamrlik, trade Price or Halak, etc.).

Iginla is a great idea in principle, but you're talking another major cap hit and a player who is entering the 'high risk' phase of his career. Whoo boy. But I'll admit that he's a perfect fit for our team, and as long as we don't have to lock in past, say age 38 for Iggy, I'd be interested to see the Habs make a play. We will have to move boldly anyway due to both cap pressures AND the need to make this team a bona fide contender. So we should be thinking in bold terms and this is one example of that.

As for the possibilty of the cap actually going up: this reflects what I said last summer in response to the argument that the Habs should build their strategy around keeping cap space so that when the cap shrinks and teams start shedding salary, we can pounce. No; NHL finances work in mysterious ways. You're best not to worry too much about some hypothetical cap collapse when making your decisions, and you're best not to be TOO cautious when it comes to the cap (such caution, as I recall, is what cost us Jason Arnott, who would have been a HUGE asset for us over the last few years and could have been signed for under $5 mil coming out of the lockout). In this sense, I prefer the Gainey spend-and-be-damned approach to an approach that hoards cap room while consciously icing crappy teams in the hope of some hypothetical gains down the line.

Finally, everybody and his dog knows the NHL should put more teams in Canada. Both Hamilton and Southern Ontario are the obvious choices. Winnipeg and Quebec are dodgier economic propositions, though. Also, I cannot for the life of me understand why SEATTLE never comes up as a possible NHL market. Living in Vancouver, I'd love that.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I wonder how much a rising CDN dollar helped their bottom line.

fact :

Canadian Teams account for at least 1/5 of NHL revenue (maybe more given that both Habs and Toronto are 1 and 3) in NHL

fact :

Canadian $ at paraty represents an increase of 50% over it's 2000 level and 20% over its 2004-2005 (lockout) level.

fact :

Canadian Teams account for at least 1/5 of NHL revenue (maybe more given that both Habs and Toronto are 1 and 3) in NHL

fact :

Canadian $ at paraty represents an increase of 50% over it's 2000 level and 20% over its 2004-2005 (lockout) level.

Actually..... As of May 2008.......The six Canadian teams account for 31 per cent of the $1.1 billion (U.S.) in league ticket revenue.

One third of all revenue is from only 6 (Canadian) of the 30 NHL teams

Edited by Habitforming

Actually..... As of May 2008.......The six Canadian teams account for 31 per cent of the $1.1 billion (U.S.) in league ticket revenue.

The leagues attendance was down 600,000 tickets sold. According to their numbers only the Leafs and Senators

suffered at the gate. The Habs, Oilers and Flames suffered zero decline and the Canucks were up 7,380 tickets.

Overall the Canadian attendance was only down 22,000 the majority of which was attributable to Ottawa.

nice. as of may 2008, though, revenues were not different from now i guess... more from edmonton, but also more from phoenix... etc. so it'd be a wash. it was also on par back then, if i remember well...

The leagues attendance was down 600,000 tickets sold. According to their numbers only the Leafs and Senators

suffered at the gate. The Habs, Oilers and Flames suffered zero decline and the Canucks were up 7,380 tickets.

Overall the Canadian attendance was only down 22,000 the majority of which was attributable to Ottawa.

ya know, blaming ottawa is ALWAYS the way to go in Quebec, no matter what.

;)

One thing's for sure. Halak is making it extremely hard for the Habs' brass NOT to resign him. Great season, great playoff...what more do you want?

I used to be worried about the Habs trading Price in the off-season, but his trade value is low and

if you are a GM, would you sign Halak for 3.5M and a backup for 750K for a 4.25M tandem of Halak/Sanford

or do you sign Price for $1.5M and go with a $5M tandem of Price/Halak?

Outside of a major impact player in return for either, it is a no-brainer.

I'm not a Halak supporter, but I am also not a hater. My concern is because Price is the future and it's easy to lose sight of that when one is playing well and the other was thrown to the wolves and stuggled at times. Management has to look long and hard and not lose sight of that fact as well. They need to remember Halak is 2 years older and in the same spot Price is now at 22 years of age.

Halak has huge trade value right now and if needed (cap cash) he should be the one we move at the draft for a solid return. If we don't get a decent offer then you have to look at other options, but Price needs to play to develop. It doesn't happen when he turns 23 or 24 overnight.

Let's face it, if both goalies were signed long term we wouldn't care who was playing and we would be happy to have such an embarassment of riches in net.

One way or the other a decision looms over the front office, and I have little faith in Gauthier/Martin to get it right.

I honestly don't think Halak's trade value is going up this postseason. Because his contract value goes up proportionally the more desirable he is, and a trading partner has to open up just that much more space for him.

Jonas Hiller is making $4.5m a year with similar pedigree (but a slightly larger sample size of high end performance). Those are all for UFA years, so I'd expect Halak comes in below that by a decent amount. $3.75m or so.

Good piece today at one of my favourite sites, Behind the Net, on Halak v. Price going forward. His take is similar to ours: 'not so fast', though he admits it's quite a connundrum.

http://www.behindthenethockey.com/2010/4/2...should-the-habs

One thing's for sure. Halak is making it extremely hard for the Habs' brass NOT to resign him. Great season, great playoff...what more do you want?

Let' all look at this possible scenario where Halak is traded and Price has a poor or under achieving performance the following season I could see all them gutless bastards booing him off the ice. Now what will that do for his confidence seeing that it Price has already suffered a loss of confidence. In my opinion Halak must be resigned because he has earned that title and has won the heart and confidence of our fans. For the grace of God let Price go and develope his game and confidence with a club that has less pressure and is more appreciated from it's fan base. I admire Price but in all fainess he would mature quicker and better somewhere in the western conference. :clap:

Wamsley's right, though. Capwise, it's not like you can invest in Halak and expect him to play 70 games while you sign a bargain-basement backup. Halak has never played more than 45 games in 5 years of pro hockey and he showed significant signs of fatigue as the season wound down. Therefore, even if you do pay Halak $3.5-4 mil, you still need to pay a guy to play 35-40 games alongside him. A guy of that profile will probably cost you whatever it will cost to sign Price. So you might as well keep Price.

And if you do trade Halak and go with Price, you still need to protect yourself in case Price melts down. Therefore you need to sign a quality #1A guy who can play up to 40 quality games a season. A guy like that will likely not come too much cheaper than Halak.

So the dilemma here is not in nets. That money will have to be spent one way or the other.

To be fair, Halak played about 51 games if you count the Olympics, which most definitely were pro hockey. Plus playoff games. Not a huge difference, but it ups the count a little. And it's more about how many games in a time period. Since 2010 started, his pace has to be fairly substantial.

We can't get too hyped up on one game, one series, look how well Boucher is playing for the Flyers, is he going to get $5m offer?

You also have to remember Boucher's 2000 season.

20-10-3 with a 1.91 GAA and a .918 SV% (note: in the dead puck era)

He then took them to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Not exactly an indicator of greatness.

The only move to make is to re-sign both unless a monster offer appears out of nowhere.

As much as everybody is favouring Halak at the moment, his contract will work against him.

If Price returns Carter (hypothetical), then it creates $3.5 that has to be moved somewhere else, whereas if Halak is dealt, only $1.5M has to be moved in a similar deal.

Price's upside and progression next season far outweighs his potential contract. If Price

is average, he will at worst earn his cap number. If Halak is average and Price is gone,

then you are paying an average goalie 2.5-3 times his regular value.

I think you will not see any movement of either goaltender until at least the trade deadline in 2011. That way you can assess both goaltenders for another 60 games.

It's a no-brainer to keep both. My fear is that Gauthier is just that though "a no-brainer".

Edited by Wamsley01

It's a no-brainer to keep both. My fear is that Gauthier is just that though "a no-brainer".

Is this really fair, though? His track record as a GM suggests a careful man who makes cautious, but generally positive, incremental moves. I see no obvious reason to think him a boob at this point.

Is this really fair, though? His track record as a GM suggests a careful man who makes cautious, but generally positive, incremental moves. I see no obvious reason to think him a boob at this point.

Hence why I said "fear".

Fear isn't always based on rational thoughts. I fear a panic move of Houle level proportions more than anything. It would severely damage me to watch them deal Price too early and have him come back to haunt us on a yearly basis.

Edited by Wamsley01

Apparently Darren Pang has come to the assumption that Price is gone because of the last 2 games.

No discussion of trade value, cap implications, Halak's arbitration, nothing.

You have to love the dedication level of the TSN crew to research.

Edited by Wamsley01

Haha yeah I just watched Panger....I thought he would have thought that through more. Neither of the habs goalies have shown constant, great play this year, it seems simple to keep both, I just can't see many arguments against it, unless a blockbuster trade is available.

Haha yeah I just watched Panger....I thought he would have thought that through more. Neither of the habs goalies have shown constant, great play this year, it seems simple to keep both, I just can't see many arguments against it, unless a blockbuster trade is available.

I am not surprised.

To be honest though..sensationalism is what sells...no one wants to hear a 'expert' go one for five minutes about stats...they want a quick, one or two liner.

To be honest though..sensationalism is what sells...no one wants to hear a 'expert' go one for five minutes about stats...they want a quick, one or two liner.

It was also absurd that they declared the goaltending controversy over.

We all know damn well that if Halak shuts out Washington tomorrow and then gives up 4 and 5 goals

in the first 2 games of the next round that the fans will scream for Price again.

The controversy is NEVER over. It may subside for 6-12 months, but the first sign of problems

and the fanbase scapegoats the easiest victim. If Price is not around, then they will want Desjardins.

Ok someone probably already mentioned this but...

I was thinking we are now risking losing Halak or having to pay 5 mil a year to keep him next year!... He is RFA and even if we get swept by the Pens I am sure Washington for example would be happy to put an offer sheet to get their hand on the Jaro the Hero!