Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Ok someone probably already mentioned this but...

I was thinking we are now risking losing Halak or having to pay 5 mil a year to keep him next year!... He is RFA and even if we get swept by the Pens I am sure Washington for example would be happy to put an offer sheet to get their hand on the Jaro the Hero!

That's exactly what will happen, washington or some other team will offer a good contract and we will be stuck with Price who is a good goalie but needs more years to mature and develope. The same could be said for Plekanec who might not be willing to resign with montreal. This is clearly a problem that Gainey and his staff could have avoided. :wacko:

That's exactly what will happen, washington or some other team will offer a good contract and we will be stuck with Price who is a good goalie but needs more years to mature and develope. The same could be said for Plekanec who might not be willing to resign with montreal. This is clearly a problem that Gainey and his staff could have avoided. :wacko:

Really, how so? Plekanec took the team to arbitration; he wanted a 1 year deal. Seems to me that last year most fans wanted him gone, can you honestly say you expected a bounce back year and that management should have sensed it and gave him a multi-year deal? Most people, possibly including yourself, would have wanted his head on a platter if Gainey did that.

As for the goalies, both struggled somewhat last year, it would have been dumb to deal from a position of weakness. If Halak gets a $4-5 M offer sheet, you thank him for his service and move on. Take the picks (including at least 1 first rounder) and use it to replenish the picks dealt in years past and move forward with Price or get a new goalie, perhaps with the picks you just got. I don't think the Habs were actively shopping either goalie this year or last (I don't buy the "Gainey offered Halak to Philly for a 2nd" rumour that was reported by just 1 reporter who Gainey allegedly told; it seems a little hard to believe that he'd show favourtism to the media, that's asking for trouble) and there weren't too many rumblings aside from that. I think the decision was made a couple years ago to let both deals expire at the same time, keep the better of the two and part ways with the other. May not be the best strategy, but it's a strategy nonetheless.

Small blurb about Sergei Kostitsyn possibly leaving for the KHL next season (I think that's been a foregone conclusion since, well, the beginning of this season, but that's just me).

http://fr.canoe.ca/sports/nouvelles/hockey...429-105604.html

Basically, it says that if he doesn't get a "guaranteed" contract (I assume it means 1-way), he'd be willing to jump. Frankly, I think something got lost in translation. I think if the Habs aren't willing to guarantee him a spot next year, he'll jump, regardless of whether he gets a 1 or 2-way deal (he's eligible for both).

Really, how so? Plekanec took the team to arbitration; he wanted a 1 year deal. Seems to me that last year most fans wanted him gone, can you honestly say you expected a bounce back year and that management should have sensed it and gave him a multi-year deal? Most people, possibly including yourself, would have wanted his head on a platter if Gainey did that.

As for the goalies, both struggled somewhat last year, it would have been dumb to deal from a position of weakness. If Halak gets a $4-5 M offer sheet, you thank him for his service and move on. Take the picks (including at least 1 first rounder) and use it to replenish the picks dealt in years past and move forward with Price or get a new goalie, perhaps with the picks you just got. I don't think the Habs were actively shopping either goalie this year or last (I don't buy the "Gainey offered Halak to Philly for a 2nd" rumour that was reported by just 1 reporter who Gainey allegedly told; it seems a little hard to believe that he'd show favourtism to the media, that's asking for trouble) and there weren't too many rumblings aside from that. I think the decision was made a couple years ago to let both deals expire at the same time, keep the better of the two and part ways with the other. May not be the best strategy, but it's a strategy nonetheless.

I too have been a bit worried about the scenario of some team offering Jaro a fat RFA offer and forcing us to match or abandon his services. This is one risk of being up against the cap. However, you have to look around carefully at which teams have the cap room going forward to do that. I don't know whether Washington is one. One thing's for sure, Philly is not. There's also the question of how many GMs want to operate that way; poaching RFAs is still considered dirty pool in many quarters. It would be interesting to see a list of truly likely candidates to poach Jaro. Anyway: I think dlbalr is spot-on here.

I too have been a bit worried about the scenario of some team offering Jaro a fat RFA offer and forcing us to match or abandon his services. This is one risk of being up against the cap. However, you have to look around carefully at which teams have the cap room going forward to do that. I don't know whether Washington is one. One thing's for sure, Philly is not. There's also the question of how many GMs want to operate that way; poaching RFAs is still considered dirty pool in many quarters. It would be interesting to see a list of truly likely candidates to poach Jaro. Anyway: I think dlbalr is spot-on here.

I must say, I like that last sentence...:) With Varly/Neuvirth, I think the Caps will go with them next year and see how the 2 youngsters develop together before making a move.

As for teams who might be looking for goalies, here's the list I have:

Chicago (over the cap for next year already)

Calgary (to replace Kipper soon, cap issues)

Ottawa (2 goalies signed already though, cap issues)

Philly (cap issues)

Edmonton (maybe, depends on 'Bulin's health, some cap space)

New Jersey (Brodeur's future replacement, have some space and it seems feasible)

Tampa Bay (Niittymaki's a UFA, can Smith be a full time #1? Have young goalies already though)

San Jose (if they let Nabby go, tons of UFA/RFA though, likely cap issues)

Colorado (may be more comfy with Anderson as a backup, budget constraints)

St. Louis (Mason's a UFA, have cap and budget space)

I only see St Loius, Edmonton and Philly needing a young goalie.

I would definatley trade the kosty bros asap after the season. (2 for 1 deal)

They are also going to have to move a dman or 2.

I only see St Loius, Edmonton and Philly needing a young goalie.

I would definatley trade the kosty bros asap after the season. (2 for 1 deal)

They are also going to have to move a dman or 2.

Of these, you can rule Philly out - they don't have ANY cap room. Jersey can also be ruled out because Jersey Lou is old-school and won't resort to this RFA nonsense.

It's quite possible we're in the clear, but Edmonton is a worry. They're desperate and have a history of RFA poaching.

Not really because salary and a player will come back. i believe Emery was a 1 year deal.

I wasn't speaking of poaching. I was stating the habs should make the trade.

Price for JVR, bigger deal something like that.

Of these, you can rule Philly out - they don't have ANY cap room. Jersey can also be ruled out because Jersey Lou is old-school and won't resort to this RFA nonsense.

It's quite possible we're in the clear, but Edmonton is a worry. They're desperate and have a history of RFA poaching.

Edmonton is rebuilding, as in they want to move out contracts and accumulate draft picks. They aren't going to be poaching again... they know that finishing bottom 5 is a realistic possibility again next year. This isn't Toronto... and it's not like Edmonton was really successful in their RFA poaching, either... they have yet to make the playoffs under Penner and needed a fantastic finish that year just to finish outside the lottery area which they were in for most of that year.

Here's a point I haven't heard anyone comment on regarding our goalies. Next year all goalies will have to wear pads whose size is proportional to the individual goaltender. I don't expect this to affect Price much given his size. On the other hand, I think Jaro will be forced into smaller equipment. How will this affect his play? How will it affect the play of other goalies in the league?

For this reason, I am nervous about putting our eggs into Halak's basket.

I note that Pang, the world's smallest goalie thinks we should keep Halak and let Price go.

I don't think any team will spend $5 million for Halak. His body of work in the NHL just isn't extensive enough yet. There are too many goalies who have gotten hot for a season or less and then fizzled.

Here's a point I haven't heard anyone comment on regarding our goalies. Next year all goalies will have to wear pads whose size is proportional to the individual goaltender. I don't expect this to affect Price much given his size. On the other hand, I think Jaro will be forced into smaller equipment. How will this affect his play? How will it affect the play of other goalies in the league?

I note that Pang, the world's smallest goalie thinks we should keep Halak and let Price go.

I don't think any team will spend $5 million for Halak. His body of work in the NHL just isn't extensive enough yet. There are too many goalies who have gotten hot for a season or less and then fizzled.

Interesting that you mentioned the new golaie equipment regulations which are to be applied soon. This bring to mind why Jose Theodore got traded to the Avalanche. If you recall at that same period of time as the new rules were to be applied regarding the reduction of size with the goalie pad and gloves Jose Theodore was traded. Too coincidental? I don't think so. I guess Gainey and his staff were no longer confident that Theodore with smaller equipment would be sufficient. However on this note I don't believe that Halak is in the same catagory as Theodore in fact I think that Halak will be one of the great ones and the risk to gamble for him is worth every penny. :clap:

I mentioned it in an earlier thread. It is a definite concern in regards to Halak.

He is 5'11" and 180 lbs, Price is 6'3" and 220 lbs.

Pang shot off his mouth without looking at the cap situation or possible trade assets coming back.

With the Habs against the cap, they can't take back a legit NHLer that isn't making as little as Price.

So they need to either land a JVR or make a deal involving a shit load of picks.

Then they will have to sign a backup, so why would you break up your elite tandem for the cost of $1M

and the acquisition of draft picks? The return will have to be a Taylor Hall/JVR for the Habs to even consider it.

Edited by Wamsley01

Robert Mayer to jump ship next season, go to Switzerland? (Link translates it to English)

Der HC Lugano soll Gerüchten zu Folge Interesse zeigen, den in Nordamerika spielenden Schweizer Torhüter Robert Mayer zu verpflichten für ein Goalie-Duo mit David Aebischer nächste Saison.

http://translate.google.ca/translate?u=htt...l=&ie=UTF-8

Right on! Hockey Fans! I worked right beside those guys at the World Juniors. Good group of guys at that website.

Gotta get the shameless plug in there...:)

As for the issue, if he does bolt, I hope he announces it soon as him leaving all but forces the Habs to sign Missiaen and hope he can develop with something resembling a defence in front of him.

Gotta get the shameless plug in there...:)

As for the issue, if he does bolt, I hope he announces it soon as him leaving all but forces the Habs to sign Missiaen and hope he can develop with something resembling a defence in front of him.

The Swiss league doesn't poach player, so he'd have to work on the transfer with the Habs management. I assume they're fully in the loop on this. Technically, he's the Habs' player and they get the final call.

Small rumour/speculation that isn't exactly Hab related now but involves a former prospect:

Rangers, who conducted organizational meetings last week, are believed keenly interested in signing Ryan McDonagh, whose rights they acquired from Montreal in the Scott Gomez deal, but the Wisconsin defenseman has a fair amount of leverage as he awaits an offer.

McDonagh, who turns 21 next month, would play his senior year for the Badgers if he does not turn pro. If he remains unsigned through next year, McDonagh would become an unrestricted free agent as of Aug. 15, 2011.

Chances are, then, if the 6-foot-1, 215-pound McDonagh, who is regarded as a proficient, stay-at-home type physically ready for the NHL, does not sign this summer, he will not sign at all with the Blueshirts.

Little more here, it'll be interesting to see what happens. If he doesn't wind up signing with New York, does that make the trade easier to stomach?

Small rumour/speculation that isn't exactly Hab related now but involves a former prospect:

Little more here, it'll be interesting to see what happens. If he doesn't wind up signing with New York, does that make the trade easier to stomach?

Maybe if he re-signed with Montreal! ^_^

Small rumour/speculation that isn't exactly habs related now but involves a former prospect:

Gomez is our key offensive pivot and an effective one, while Pyatt is a valuable bottom-6 presence. Cap issues aside, that trade is working out just fine so far. If we sign McDonough :lol: then it's all good.

Sorry but allowing for black (or p.c. dark) humor...There is a better chance of MC.D deciding to jump off a bridge, then there is of him deciding not sign with NY and wait longer to become a UFA.... Hockey players believe that they are always one shift away from a career ending injury... So unless he doesnt want to be a hockey player or he fell in love with a Mtl Girl who can't leave her mother's deathbed... It aint happening :)

Sorry but allowing for black (or p.c. dark) humor...There is a better chance of MC.D deciding to jump off a bridge, then there is of him deciding not sign with NY and wait longer to become a UFA.... Hockey players believe that they are always one shift away from a career ending injury... So unless he doesnt want to be a hockey player or he fell in love with a Mtl Girl who can't leave her mother's deathbed... It aint happening :)

We are miles away from ever getting Ryan back, but I would say that Wheeler found himself in a better position by not signing in Phoenix. Let's just say that the odds of jumping off the bridge or signing with the Canadiens next year are about the same. I would concentate my effort on signing players that are under our own wing before worrying too much about PI-in-the-sky signings.

Gomez is our key offensive pivot and an effective one, while Pyatt is a valuable bottom-6 presence. Cap issues aside, that trade is working out just fine so far. If we sign McDonough :lol: then it's all good.

It was all good when...

NY lost some of their cap space gained in trading huggies for junkiness

Now if the habs get McD in the org again too.... that would be the SHIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZLLLLLLLLLLLLEEE!!!

Mind you.... if the habs can get Yemelin over the pond, I think that would be even MORE BETTER, cuz Yemelin has been playing with men longer and chances are McD will not make a Wheeler out of him on the pure A$$ umption... Dmen take longer to mature into their position o' play.

But since I am SUCH a great hockey mind :rolleyes: I am sharing this opinion with you + the reader and not the Habs ^_^

Edited by ehjay

It was all good when...

NY lost some of their cap space gained in trading huggies for junkiness

Now if the habs get McD in the org again too.... that would be the SHIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZLLLLLLLLLLLLEEE!!!

Mind you.... if the habs can get Yemelin over the pond, I think that would be even MORE BETTER, cuz Yemelin has been playing with men longer and chances are McD will not make a Wheeler out of him on the pure A$$ umption... Dmen take longer to mature into their position o' play.

But since I am SUCH a great hockey mind :rolleyes: I am sharing this opinion with you + the reader and not the Habs ^_^

We all agree that Gomez is overpaid. But if you're ragging on him, that's because you haven't been paying attention to the playoffs. He has been AWESOME.