Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Eklund

On the Habs...

It really is unimaginable that Andrei Markov is once again going to miss a huge amount of playing time to an injury...you have to feel bad for the guy. A case can be made that Markov, along with Price, are the most important players to the Montreal Canadiens...And now the Habs are in the spot I talked about last week when dealing O'Byrne.

However Habs fans...I wouldn't panic. I was told when O'Byrne was dealt there was another D-man the Habs were close to picking up. I really believe that player is likely Kevin Bieksa, but the Canucks now will be able to demand a bit more in return knowing the Canadiens are in a spot.

And if they do, expect the negotiations to stall and the Habs to take their chances for a bit. Gauthier is not a GM who you can hold up easily....yet at some point a deal will need to be struck. I have even heard Brian Campbell's name mentioned today. There will be quite a few names coming up in the next few days here...

Eklund

On the Habs...

It really is unimaginable that Andrei Markov is once again going to miss a huge amount of playing time to an injury...you have to feel bad for the guy. A case can be made that Markov, along with Price, are the most important players to the Montreal Canadiens...And now the Habs are in the spot I talked about last week when dealing O'Byrne.

However Habs fans...I wouldn't panic. I was told when O'Byrne was dealt there was another D-man the Habs were close to picking up. I really believe that player is likely Kevin Bieksa, but the Canucks now will be able to demand a bit more in return knowing the Canadiens are in a spot.

And if they do, expect the negotiations to stall and the Habs to take their chances for a bit. Gauthier is not a GM who you can hold up easily....yet at some point a deal will need to be struck. I have even heard Brian Campbell's name mentioned today. There will be quite a few names coming up in the next few days here...

I guess the cap space will come from all the teams in the league the Habs prop up financially.

Edited by Colin

Eklund

On the Habs...

Why does anybody read this guy? The guy has a 99% fail rate, it is pretty obvious he is making shit up.

You need to be ahead of everybody on significant deals at least on a consistent basis to develop trust. This idiot

throws out names that circulate on message boards and adds a sprinkling of bullshit and voila, people read his garbage.

Brain Campbell? Really? Montreal is in position to add a $7M defenseman signed to a long term deal when they have

Subban, Markov, Weber and Carle? Didn't he listen to Gauthier's press conference when he discussed the cap implications

that helped him choose Price?

He is living proof that people are anxious for somebody to tell them what they want to hear and not what is reality.

He continues to offer up "brand" name players that fans know, never names like "I heard the Canadiens are interested

in Michael Bournival" and have offered up O'Byrne or Weber to make the deal. He doesn't do that shit because nobody

cares about Michael Bournival until he belongs to your teams prospect list. They do care about "name recognition" players

who they think will step in and act like a fantasy acquisition.

His ramblings are no different than the gossip mags that claim Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are on the verge of breaking

up for the last 5 years. When they finally do, the headline will be "I Told You!".

Save your time, ignore that fool.

Why does anybody read this guy? The guy has a 99% fail rate, it is pretty obvious he is making shit up.

You need to be ahead of everybody on significant deals at least on a consistent basis to develop trust. This idiot

throws out names that circulate on message boards and adds a sprinkling of bullshit and voila, people read his garbage.

Brain Campbell? Really? Montreal is in position to add a $7M defenseman signed to a long term deal when they have

Subban, Markov, Weber and Carle? Didn't he listen to Gauthier's press conference when he discussed the cap implications

that helped him choose Price?

He is living proof that people are anxious for somebody to tell them what they want to hear and not what is reality.

He continues to offer up "brand" name players that fans know, never names like "I heard the Canadiens are interested

in Michael Bournival" and have offered up O'Byrne or Weber to make the deal. He doesn't do that shit because nobody

cares about Michael Bournival until he belongs to your teams prospect list. They do care about "name recognition" players

who they think will step in and act like a fantasy acquisition.

His ramblings are no different than the gossip mags that claim Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are on the verge of breaking

up for the last 5 years. When they finally do, the headline will be "I Told You!".

Save your time, ignore that fool.

99%, I'd say that's even generous.

And people PAY for the garbage he spews. It's unreal.

I'm starting a rumour right here, right now: Habs are going after Semin to play with Kostitsyn and Gomez.

It'd be pretty damn cool.

Watch this rumour surface on Hockeybuzz now.

I'm starting a rumour right here, right now: Habs are going after Semin to play with Kostitsyn and Gomez.

That one hasn't yet but the inevitable "Habs are front runners to sign Bergeron" has surfaced. This despite the fact he's yet to get the green light from doctors after playing through a torn ACL in the playoffs. Funny how the details just kinda happened to get lost there...

:hlogo:

That one hasn't yet but the inevitable "Habs are front runners to sign Bergeron" has surfaced. This despite the fact he's yet to get the green light from doctors after playing through a torn ACL in the playoffs. Funny how the details just kinda happened to get lost there...

We need to get bigger & tougher or again we will never handle Philly or the Bruins in a 7 game series. I would trade Spacek, Pouliot, Boyd & Lapierre for D.Penner, J. F Jacques & T. Peckham. Then call up R.White. And our line up looks like this : Plekanec, Cammy & Kostitsyn - Gomez, Gionta & Penner - Halpern, Darche & White - Eller, Moen & Jacques (Pyatt)

Defense: Gorges-Gill, Subban-Peckham, Weber-Hamrlik (Picard) Bring on the Flyers & Bruins for a best of 7.

Wasn't Semin a bust last year? Is he is playing better this year for a contract? Will he be effective without Ovechkin as his linemate? How much money would Semin with his agent be asking for to a long term contract? Who will the habs need to give up to acquire him? Just too may questions and concerns! :unsure:

Edited by nikohab

Wasn't Semin a bust last year? Is he is playing better this year for a contract? Will he be effective without Ovechkin as his linemate? How much money would Semin with his agent be asking for to a long term contract? Who will the habs need to give up to acquire him? Just too may questions and concerns! :unsure:

Semin had 80+ points last year... not a bust.

Edited by fromage

:hlogo:

We need to get bigger & tougher or again we will never handle Philly or the Bruins in a 7 game series. I would trade Spacek, Pouliot, Boyd & Lapierre for D.Penner, J. F Jacques & T. Peckham. Then call up R.White. And our line up looks like this : Plekanec, Cammy & Kostitsyn - Gomez, Gionta & Penner - Halpern, Darche & White - Eller, Moen & Jacques (Pyatt)

Defense: Gorges-Gill, Subban-Peckham, Weber-Hamrlik (Picard) Bring on the Flyers & Bruins for a best of 7.

Jacques is a pretty terrible player... he's only dressed for 2 games this year for one the worst teams in the NHL. He better not be good enough to play for the Habs, or else we're treading on thin ice right now up front.

I wouldn't mind getting in on the Penner sweepstakes come deadline day, though... the Oil probably would want a young D prospect to help out. They could still use a Spacek, but they have guys like Pouliot and Boyd in Cogliano and Brule, so I doubt they care to add more, especially with more guys like Omark and Hartikainen in their system. Peckham is one of their few young D that is getting a shot right now, and whether he's any good right now is up for debate. I think that D you list looks awful, IMO... three rookies for a deep playoff run? No thanks.

Put it this way: Peckham is playing under 18 minutes a night for an awful team that is more willing to let their kids learn the ropes at the NHL level, while Spacek plays close to 20 minutes for one of the top 5 teams in the league. I don't see much of a benefit, although most of the ice time difference is made up by Spacek's PP time... but the toughness of Spacek's ES/SH minutes is greater than that of Peckham. Right now, I think Spacek is better for Montreal and Peckham is better for Edmonton based on the direction both teams are headed. So I don't see this as a realistic swap.

A Penner deal would be a plausible idea, but I'd build it around possibly trading Weber, and wait until the trade deadline to do so. Penner might be able to be had for less than Weber depending on how good of a year he is having.

just a thought...

A team in need to get to the cap floor for next season...

would such a team acquire a player close to the end of front loaded contract this time of the year?

Maybe PG can start fielding such teams to find a new home for.... maybe I should shut my mouth I ain't PG

just a thought...

would such a team acquire a player close to the end of front loaded contract this time of the year?

Maybe PG can start fielding such teams to find a new home for.... maybe I should shut my mouth I ain't PG

I think moving Gomez is a possibility precisely because of the 'salary floor.' However, Wamsley's right: he's not a 26-point player. Odds are he will start heating up and playing at about a PPG pace over the second half. He's combined wretched starts with a hot second half a couple of times before.

I think moving Gomez is a possibility precisely because of the 'salary floor.' However, Wamsley's right: he's not a 26-point player. Odds are he will start heating up and playing at about a PPG pace over the second half. He's combined wretched starts with a hot second half a couple of times before.

Didn't he had the same kind of slow start last season before becoming a key player at the end of the season + in the playoffs ?

Didn't he had the same kind of slow start last season before becoming a key player at the end of the season + in the playoffs ?

It was more understandable last year, and wasn't as bad. I think he had 11 points through 19 games, and Gionta was hurt for a lot of that. He has 6 points in 20 games in a system he's now comfortable with, and on a healthy team.

He is a historical slow starter, but this is low even considering his output. Historically, though, we should expect him to figure things out and start to shine by mid-season.

just a thought...

There are scenarios where it could happen. However, the player in question (Gomez) isn't there yet, his salary this year is higher than his cap hit as is next year's salary. Only at the end of the 2011-12 season might there be interest from a team looking to hit the floor - and that's if there is a floor in the new CBA which is also up at the end of the 11-12 campaign.

Assuming Gomez has low production at the start of the year, and higher production at the end of the year, we can agree his value decreases for a quarter/half the season, then increases as the year goes along.

Meaning if the Habs trade him, they should trade him at the end of the season (off-season) to maximize return (buy low, sell high). Trading Gomez away mid season when he's struggling is selling low. Unless you think he will never rebound and you want to cut your losses, then get rid of him for nothing... But if you think he's going to rebound, there's nothing else to do than to wait for that to happen.

The only other argument you could make (in economic terms) is that the opportunity cost of keeping Gomez is greater than the benefit that having him is bringing. And at this point, because there really isn't a viable option as a 2nd line center whose cost to acquire would warrant serious consideration, I'd say the only option is to keep Gomez and wait till he improves.

Assuming Gomez has low production at the start of the year, and higher production at the end of the year, we can agree his value decreases for a quarter/half the season, then increases as the year goes along.

Meaning if the Habs trade him, they should trade him at the end of the season (off-season) to maximize return (buy low, sell high). Trading Gomez away mid season when he's struggling is selling low. Unless you think he will never rebound and you want to cut your losses, then get rid of him for nothing... But if you think he's going to rebound, there's nothing else to do than to wait for that to happen.

The only other argument you could make (in economic terms) is that the opportunity cost of keeping Gomez is greater than the benefit that having him is bringing. And at this point, because there really isn't a viable option as a 2nd line center whose cost to acquire would warrant serious consideration, I'd say the only option is to keep Gomez and wait till he improves.

Hey guys yooohoooo, snif snif them toasted beans.. Who on earth wants a 50 pt max (if lucky) player with a salary cap hit like that? The only possible way would be if Gauthier kicks his but to Hamilton and then brings him up, and someone picks him up on re-entry waivers... (half price) and even then MAYBE!

The other would be to trade him along with Subban or 2 first round picks for one 6 round pick in return

Aint happenin....

Its easier to go after another top winger... and hope for a miracle

Hey guys yooohoooo, snif snif them toasted beans.. Who on earth wants a 50 pt max (if lucky) player with a salary cap hit like that? The only possible way would be if Gauthier kicks his but to Hamilton and then brings him up, and someone picks him up on re-entry waivers... (half price) and even then MAYBE!

The other would be to trade him along with Subban or 2 first round picks for one 6 round pick in return

Aint happenin....

Its easier to go after another top winger... and hope for a miracle

WE want a 50-60 point center and NOBODY wants a 50-60 point center at that price. But we have him, and once we have him and can fit him under the cap, we might as well keep him. Sending him to the minors will open up over 7 million in cap space but then we have to fill his spot in the line up with someone. Who are the Canadiens going to spend 7 million on at this point in the season? We're a bit late coming to the Kovalchuk sweepstakes! We would just be able to trade for a superstar but nobody's selling one, and even if they were, we would have to give players we'd rather keep, so it really isn't that easy to just say, "he's not worth his salary, get rid of him." We don't really have a choice but to keep him... unless Eller or Halpern passes him on the depth chart and they surely haven't.

Habs and Gill reportedly have started contract talks.

Don’t be surprised if the Habs re-sign D Hal Gill before he becomes a UFA. Preliminary talks have taken place between the two sides and Gill is happy in Montreal. Making $2.25 million (all terms US), Gill has played an important role and was key during the long playoff run last spring. Talks won’t get serious until January.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/201...7/16344461.html

Do note that any multi-year deal will give him 35+ status like Spacek (1 year deals don't count as 35+ contracts regardless of age). If he's willing to take a 1 year deal for 1.5-1.75 M, I think he'd be worth bringing back.

Do note that any multi-year deal will give him 35+ status like Spacek (1 year deals don't count as 35+ contracts regardless of age). If he's willing to take a 1 year deal for 1.5-1.75 M, I think he'd be worth bringing back.

+1

It seems like Gill really likes Montreal, so I wouldn't be surprised if he signed something like that.

I can't imagine he thinks he's going to be able to pot a 2 year deal on the open market. If he does, I think PG tells him to go try. We'll find out soon, I guess.