Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Thanx Brian: Just a senior's moment, if I had thought about it a little I would have come up with it. I was thinking with the Russians that that those contracts lasted perpetually until there was transfer agreement.

You're half right actually. For any Russian who signs and then goes back, the NHL team loses their rights at 27 (UFA year). For those who are drafted but stay there, their rights are held in perpetuity (Korneev, as well as Sidyakin/Kruchinin as we discovered during the preseason).

There have been suggestions that St Louis could trade one of their three 2nd rounders for a forward.

Pouliot to the Blues I wonder?

I'd take that in a heartbeat. I still expect Pouliot to be released outright so any sort of a return would be viewed as a steal in my books.

I'd take that in a heartbeat. I still expect Pouliot to be released outright so any sort of a return would be viewed as a steal in my books.

He's a manageable cap hit, 24 years old and has NHL skills. Why waste the asset when it still has some value?

He's a manageable cap hit, 24 years old and has NHL skills. Why waste the asset when it still has some value?

With arbitration this year, you're probably looking at $1.75 M or so for a cap hit. For a 30 point player, that's not particularly valuable and it's not like he ended the season on a good note. Piecing things together, he is held by the coaching staff in similar regard to Sergei Kostitsyn. I just can't see the Habs bringing him back.

With arbitration this year, you're probably looking at $1.75 M or so for a cap hit. For a 30 point player, that's not particularly valuable and it's not like he ended the season on a good note. Piecing things together, he is held by the coaching staff in similar regard to Sergei Kostitsyn. I just can't see the Habs bringing him back.

I can see them walking away from an arbitration ruling, but I don't see them releasing him outright before then.

He's a tradeable asset. Why not get something for him besides a roster spot?

No link or anything to substantiate this but there are rumblings that both Dawes and Boyd will be playing overseas next season.

Good call. Like one week before RDS or Cyberpresse... :clap:

Thanks, wish I was wrong about it though, I wanted Dawes in particular to stick around.

he was unlikely to make the team, he will make more $ in khl, and hey he can always come back. I do not think it is a great loss. It actually frees up a little room for other prospects. :habslogo:

he was unlikely to make the team, he will make more $ in khl, and hey he can always come back. I do not think it is a great loss. It actually frees up a little room for other prospects. :habslogo:

I wanted him to stay in Hamilton, wasn't worried about his chances with the Habs. As much as we can sit here and say more room for prospects, the fact of the matter is that good farm teams need veterans. This just means they'll be making a pitch for another Darche type player on the UFA market. Given the unknown vs Dawes, I'd have preferred the latter.

I never really understood why Dawes couldn't make the 3rd or 4th line on our team. He's got 10 or more goals three times in his career, not playing more than 66 games in any of those seasons. That's pretty reasonable production for a bottom 6er.

I wanted him to stay in Hamilton, wasn't worried about his chances with the Habs. As much as we can sit here and say more room for prospects, the fact of the matter is that good farm teams need veterans. This just means they'll be making a pitch for another Darche type player on the UFA market. Given the unknown vs Dawes, I'd have preferred the latter.

you make a good point, I was looking at it more from his point of view, I don't think he wants to be stuck in hamilton another year. And of course a lot of depth is good for the team but maybe not the individual player.

Though they ultimately didn't get him, it appears as if the Habs were a finalist in signing Mattias Sjogren, a 6'2 winger from the Swedish league who wound up signing the same deal with Washington that Montreal offered.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/teams/capitals/2011/06/sjogren-set-camp

It's interesting to see them stock up (or try to stock up) on centreman depth considering the # of centreman currently in the system.

Plekanec

Gomez

Eller

Desharnais

White

Engqvist

Leblanc

Dumont

Nattinen

Bournival

Even Pouliot and Pyatt can play centre, though both seem to be set for left wing.

Why try to boost a position you are pretty set at?

To prepare for a trade?

/grasping at straws

It's interesting to see them stock up (or try to stock up) on centreman depth considering the # of centreman currently in the system.

Why try to boost a position you are pretty set at?

To prepare for a trade?

/grasping at straws

To me, centre is the premium forward position. I think it's easier to convert a centre to the wing than vice versa, particularly because of the faceoff element. I suspect that plays a role as has the fact that not all that long ago, that was the Habs' glaring weakness depth wise.

To me, centre is the premium forward position. I think it's easier to convert a centre to the wing than vice versa, particularly because of the faceoff element. I suspect that plays a role as has the fact that not all that long ago, that was the Habs' glaring weakness depth wise.

Yea, normally your best forward, fastest skater, most skilled is your centerman on most teams. Hence if you wanted to pick a teams best forward you are probably taking a center. This is no secret. Rarely is a winger asked to play center at the NHL level.

Trotter to return with a 1 year, 1 way contract? Interesting. (Latvian link for those wondering...)

http://www.apollo.lv/portal/sports/articles/240785&usg=ALkJrhjJIlYf_9WH2hVnkBAIbAsZU5htaQ

I thought when he went to Europe, that he needed a year or two to develop body mass/strength. Not everybody is ready with the expiry of their entry contracts. Obviously he showed enough up side that he is going to get a shot. God knows we could use some scoring. I am wondering if this is the same route we are going with Dawes and Boyd, apparently if we qualify them we retain their rights until 2012 and 2014 respectively. HF Boards?

Good if we can sign him and trade him to his hometown, Manitoba.

If we throw a round pick with him and land Patrice Cormier i would be glad.

Every team needs a Torres, Eager or a player that kind.

Enough of these good small players. Let's had some weight.

I thought when he went to Europe, that he needed a year or two to develop body mass/strength. Not everybody is ready with the expiry of their entry contracts. Obviously he showed enough up side that he is going to get a shot. God knows we could use some scoring. I am wondering if this is the same route we are going with Dawes and Boyd, apparently if we qualify them we retain their rights until 2012 and 2014 respectively. HF Boards?

It's also been noted here several times. As long as they receive a qualifying offer each year, the Habs hold their rights until they turn 27, just as has been done with Perezhogin over the years.

Good if we can sign him and trade him to his hometown, Manitoba.

If we throw a round pick with him and land Patrice Cormier i would be glad.

Every team needs a Torres, Eager or a player that kind.

Enough of these good small players. Let's had some weight.

Why ? Cormer has "I've never even tried to complete my high school" written on his forehead.

Why ? Cormer has "I've never even tried to complete my high school" written on his forehead.

lol.

Cormier's got some talent, but if we get on Kostitsyn's case for brain farts.... man, this board would light up with him in the roster.

It's also been noted here several times. As long as they receive a qualifying offer each year, the Habs hold their rights until they turn 27, just as has been done with Perezhogin over the years.

My point is about the stategy. In Trotters case had he not gone to Europe, he would have been exposed to waivers had he not made the Habs, and in all likelyhood he would not have. The Habs just gained a year or two of control. I also think Dawes was close. Give him a year in Europe and bring him back next year a little more developed, with a better chance to stick.