Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

The problem I'd have with signing Wiz is that Emelin would be back in Europe ASAP.

Markov - Gorges

Subban - Gill

Wiz - Spacek (cuz we all know JM won't bench him)

Emelin

Weber

If PG can lock up the Wiz and Markov, he will either have to:

1) Get creative and give away Spac for a low round pick.

2) Trade Weber for a high 2nd round pick - much needed in a suddenly, supposedly, deep draft year and tell Spac he's just gonna have to be patient

=

Wiz-Markov

Gill-Subban

Emelin-Gorges

Spac

move Emelin up to the second pairing with Subban if he adjusts well

3) Trade Gorges as part of a package to score that impact winger we've all been collectively craving

=

Wiz-Markov

Gill-Subban

Emelin-Spac

Weber

Edited by patience is a virtue

And to throw a stick in your wheels, La Presse is reporting that the Habs are making an offer to Hamrlik. I can assume that Wiz must have rejected an offer, and this is the contigency plan. Diaz going to be in Hamilton all year until the injuries start piling up. Maybe we'll get lucky and Spacek gets injured in the pre-season games.

And to throw a stick in your wheels, La Presse is reporting that the Habs are making an offer to Hamrlik. I can assume that Wiz must have rejected an offer, and this is the contigency plan. Diaz going to be in Hamilton all year until the injuries start piling up. Maybe we'll get lucky and Spacek gets injured in the pre-season games.

I'll i can say to that is Noooooooooooooooooooooo and Why??????????

If it's Hamrlik at $3-3.5 to replace Spacek, I'll take it.

Of course, but you probably need to take on another bad contract when you trade Spacek.

I don't know what game some people on this board watch but hamrlik literally farts dust out there. I'd Prefer a Weber signing over Hammer on any given day...you can say he's a veteran and a band aid fornthe back end but he's just as injury prone as spacek! Speaking of D signings, the clock is ticking for Gorges, I hope PG has an offer sheet ready for him or a trick up his sleeve that we are unaware of, however, if there's one guy I want resigned it is gorges; who was a candidate for captain for a reason!. As for wiz, I think a lot of fans are being overly optimistic. We simply can't have Markov, PK, and him on the back end....it's unrealistic and his stock is way too high in a cap era. Some other quick hits I've heard...Ryan Malone we are supposedly looking at (which I wouldn't mind at all if Moen was somehow moved).. I also checked hockey buzz and Jagr to Montreal is an e4.....which I must admit is way more legit than an e4 several years ago on that site.

I don't know what game some people on this board watch but hamrlik literally farts dust out there. I'd Prefer a Weber signing over Hammer on any given day...you can say he's a veteran and a band aid fornthe back end but he's just as injury prone as spacek!

Hamrlik has missed 16 games over the past 4 seasons. 16 games out of 328 total as a Canadiens. Spacek missed more than that just last season.

I'd take a Hamrlik/Spacek "trade" in a heartbeat, especially with Hammer at 3 mill or less.

Of course, but you probably need to take on another bad contract when you trade Spacek.

Spacek's contract is not that bad for a team who has lot of room or for a team that need to reach the cap floor (if there is any).

Apparently there are some Gomez to Phoenix rumours cropping up.

Then again, take any team currently below the cap floor for next season and you'll hear a Gomez rumour soon enough.

Spacek's contract is not that bad for a team who has lot of room or for a team that need to reach the cap floor (if there is any).

Florida is the best candidate, as they still require $26m to reach the cap floor. Additionally, they've only committed a paltry $10.8M to defence (Campbell eating $7.1M of that). I sincerely hope that Gauthier is chatting up the Panthers.

Then again, take any team currently below the cap floor for next season and you'll hear a Gomez rumour soon enough.

As much as I dislike Gomez's contract, who can we replace him with in this years free agent pool? I would only trade Gomez if we can sign Richards first.

The source as far as I know is Renaud Lavoie's blog where he speculates Phoenix would have interest. As you noted, Gomez will pop up with talk of any team needing to get to the floor.

Also according to Lavoie (separate article), it has been confirmed that Pouliot will go unqualified. This doesn't mean he won't re-sign as the Habs went this route last year with him to avoid arbitration. If this is indeed true (and with Lavoie, you really never know now), watch for the Habs to try and do some sort of trade before midnight tomorrow.

As much as I dislike Gomez's contract, who can we replace him with in this years free agent pool? I would only trade Gomez if we can sign Richards first.

Why use Gomez' cap space up on Richards?

Sign Connolly/Miettinen/Sullivan/etc for less and use the cap space to improve elsewhere.

Why use Gomez' cap space up on Richards?

Sign Connolly/Miettinen/Sullivan/etc for less and use the cap space to improve elsewhere.

that is a plan I like. We don't want brad richards, as much as he is a very good player we need to not have these long term high money contracts that will potentially hobble us for years to come.

But is quantity a worthy replacement for quality?

It's an intriguing question! If you add an affordable replacement for Gomez (say, Connolly) you can get a de facto platoon going with him, Eller, and Desharnais. You're relying on depth at a position to drive all those players to excel, and also to spell one another off as each gets injured or slumps. In theory this could work. But there's no doubt a reason that more teams don't go in this direction - presumably you lose the chance to form cohesive line combinations, for instance.

Still, a dude like Connolly is interesting to consider. Assuming he has some gas left in the tank, you're getting a guy whose offensive production at least matches Gomez's when he's healthy, but who is guaranteed to miss 20-40 games per season with injuries, which drives his value down. So you're saving money, adding talent, AND leaving some openings for DD and Eller to get some time in the top-6.

Anyway, I doubt Gomer Pyle will be unloaded. There are plenty of bloated contracts in line ahead of him waiting to move to teams seeking to hit the cap floor. Spacek is a more realistic dump IMHO.

It's an intriguing question! If you add an affordable replacement for Gomez (say, Connolly) you can get a de facto platoon going with him, Eller, and Desharnais. You're relying on depth at a position to drive all those players to excel, and also to spell one another off as each gets injured or slumps. In theory this could work. But there's no doubt a reason that more teams don't go in this direction - presumably you lose the chance to form cohesive line combinations, for instance.

Still, a dude like Connolly is interesting to consider. Assuming he has some gas left in the tank, you're getting a guy whose offensive production at least matches Gomez's when he's healthy, but who is guaranteed to miss 20-40 games per season with injuries, which drives his value down. So you're saving money, adding talent, AND leaving some openings for DD and Eller to get some time in the top-6.

Anyway, I doubt Gomer Pyle will be unloaded. There are plenty of bloated contracts in line ahead of him waiting to move to teams seeking to hit the cap floor. Spacek is a more realistic dump IMHO.

All you need is a good third string center and you have him covered off. If you can find one that can win face-offs it would be a bonus. Gomez may surprise, after a horrendous year, and put up decent numbers for a second string center; but I have my doubts. The problem is he takes cap space because he is paid first string money! I don't except the notion that that you can't find someone to play as well as he did or didn't last year.

While he goes has the potential, I don't think he's ready to step in and put up the production we need from a second line center on a team that will be hoping to make a playoff impact.

You're right on that one, but if I were to choose between Scott Gomez and Lars Eller I know who i'd take.

They would prob put up about the same amount of points either way haha.

You're right on that one, but if I were to choose between Scott Gomez and Lars Eller I know who i'd take.

They would prob put up about the same amount of points either way haha.

It's also unlikely that Eller will be healthy to start the season so if they move Gomez (for player(s) that don't play C) and decide to promote from within, we could be looking at Desharnais as the #2, Engqvist at 3, with one of White/Pyatt moving back to C temporarily to start. Yeesh, that's scary.

Another former HWL'er popping up this week too, how are things? Haven't heard from you in a while...

It's also unlikely that Eller will be healthy to start the season so if they move Gomez (for player(s) that don't play C) and decide to promote from within, we could be looking at Desharnais as the #2, Engqvist at 3, with one of White/Pyatt moving back to C temporarily to start. Yeesh, that's scary.

Another former HWL'er popping up this week too, how are things? Haven't heard from you in a while...

I would take the risk if it means moving that 7million dollar contract. Promote from within makes or worst case make a crazy offer for Richards or Laich...

Things have been good, I decided to make a little pop up visit haha....maybe re-joining HWL ;) was suppose to happen a few months back but something came up and had zero time. How's everything with you man ?

Is Eller injured?

Shoulder surgery if not mistaken

http://www.cjad.com/Blog/HabsNews/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10237147

Is Eller injured?

He had surgery this offseason to repair the separated shoulder he played with in the Boston series. The recovery time put his comeback somewhere between late September and November I think.

I would take the risk if it means moving that 7million dollar contract. Promote from within makes or worst case make a crazy offer for Richards or Laich...

Things have been good, I decided to make a little pop up visit haha....maybe re-joining HWL ;) was suppose to happen a few months back but something came up and had zero time. How's everything with you man ?

Keeping busy with the site and HWL of course - if you do want to come back, just remember we're on the different boards now.

There can be no question that if they do move Gomez. they'd need to add another serviceable second-line C, or at least a third-line C with a plausible claim to top-6 ice time. You can't go into the season with THAT up the middle.