Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Pretty basic economics at work when Halak was traded. There wasn't much of a market for goalies. Even less had Gauthier waited until July 1st when a bunch of cheap older guys would have been available (the market for goalies is still flooded, see Vokoun this year). Yes Halak is young and all that, but he had never played more than 40-something (I think it was, no time for research) games in a season. I specifically remember the market for goalies being garbage, which was compounded by Philly playing Chicago and both teams having patchwork goaltending. Teams were not prepared to bust the bank on an undersized, untested goalie following a good playoff run.

Gauthier felt he HAD to deal with the Halak/Price situation (plus Halak needed an extension). So a deal HAD to be made. He took the best one.

Varlamov was traded a full year later, in the next off-season. That, by definition, means the marketplace for goalies was different. Add to that that Washington didn't HAVE to trade Varlamov, but Colorado felt they HAD to make a move to shore up a goalie, you can explain the braindead trade to get Varlamov.

Bottom line: if there are no teams willing to pay to acquire an asset, that asset isn't worth much in a trade, regardless of what the fans say. Considering PG felt he HAD to make a move, then Halak had almost no perceived value on the team. If he's worth a 1st and 3rd pick in a trade, then that's what he was worth to PG. So he took the deal. End of story.

Add to that.

Varlamov was traded for a first round pick (of which no one knew how high or low it would be) and a 2nd round pick. Washington has to wait a full year before even drafting these guys, then has to wait for them to develop and grow... and it could be 4 years post trade before they even see them in their lineup.

Meanwhile we acquired a 13th overall pick, who developped well, and who had led the Blues AHL team in pts the year before. He was about to turn 21, no longer needed AHL time, and was ready to step into an NHL lineup. We also acquired a 3rd rounder who had 2 good years post draft in the WHL and was ready for the AHL.

I'm really not seeing where Washington got "so much more" for Varlamov, considering Colorado's pick is 13th overall if the season ended today.

Add to that.

Varlamov was traded for a first round pick (of which no one knew how high or low it would be) and a 2nd round pick. Washington has to wait a full year before even drafting these guys, then has to wait for them to develop and grow... and it could be 4 years post trade before they even see them in their lineup.

Meanwhile we acquired a 13th overall pick, who developped well, and who had led the Blues AHL team in pts the year before. He was about to turn 21, no longer needed AHL time, and was ready to step into an NHL lineup. We also acquired a 3rd rounder who had 2 good years post draft in the WHL and was ready for the AHL.

I'm really not seeing where Washington got "so much more" for Varlamov, considering Colorado's pick is 13th overall if the season ended today.

Great points.

The next part of the argument was that Eller was a 3rd liner at best. Which is completely debatable, something I won't do here, but when he was acquired, he was a big, fast, playmaking center with a great ceiling. Plus we got their 3rd round pick in Ian Schultz who was considered a long shot enforcer. What has changed? Eller's been improving with the Habs over the last two seasons. Heck, he scored 4 goals the other night. Because he hasn't had a 60 point campaign makes him a failure? It'll come.

Great points.

The next part of the argument was that Eller was a 3rd liner at best. Which is completely debatable, something I won't do here, but when he was acquired, he was a big, fast, playmaking center with a great ceiling. Plus we got their 3rd round pick in Ian Schultz who was considered a long shot enforcer. What has changed? Eller's been improving with the Habs over the last two seasons. Heck, he scored 4 goals the other night. Because he hasn't had a 60 point campaign makes him a failure? It'll come.

Pierre McGuire went on a rant a season ago saying that Lars Eller, "will never be a goal scorer in the NHL". He argued that he was a good player who had good skill but, "Don't expect him to score any goals for you."

He now has 10 goals in his second official NHL season and will probably finish the year with anywhere between 15-20. Not bad at all for third line production and a guy who is a much better puck distributor than goal scorer. But listen to McGuire and he can't score in the NHL.

Pierre McGuire went on a rant a season ago saying that Lars Eller, "will never be a goal scorer in the NHL". He argued that he was a good player who had good skill but, "Don't expect him to score any goals for you."

He now has 10 goals in his second official NHL season and will probably finish the year with anywhere between 15-20. Not bad at all for third line production and a guy who is a much better puck distributor than goal scorer. But listen to McGuire and he can't score in the NHL.

But who says you have to be a goal scorer to be a top-line NHL player? McGuire might be right about Eller but it doesn't mean he won't evolve into our #2 C.

But who says you have to be a goal scorer to be a top-line NHL player? McGuire might be right about Eller but it doesn't mean he won't evolve into our #2 C.

I don't see at all how he'll be right about Eller. I think by the time Eller has matured into a top six centerman, he'll be comfortably scoring 20 goals a season.

People are funny when it comes to centers. Tomas Plekanec has scored more goals in a season than Andrei Kostitsyn has but if you ask around, most will tell you that Andrei Kostitsyn is the goal scorer while Plekanec is the puck distributor.

I don't see at all how he'll be right about Eller. I think by the time Eller has matured into a top six centerman, he'll be comfortably scoring 20 goals a season.

People are funny when it comes to centers. Tomas Plekanec has scored more goals in a season than Andrei Kostitsyn has but if you ask around, most will tell you that Andrei Kostitsyn is the goal scorer while Plekanec is the puck distributor.

Agree and Eller has said himself he wants to mold his game in a Plekanec mind set.

Eller wants to do it all score, get assists, killpenaltys and play powerplay.

http://articles.courant.com/1994-05-21/features/9405210429_1_pierre-mcguire-whalers-general-manager-paul-holmgren

All those Pierre McGuire as GM rumours led to this article being dug up about McGuire's firing as head coach of Hartford. It's amazing. Read it.

I can't see the justification in people wanting a guy who hasn't been employed by a NHL team since 1996 as their GM. If Gauthier is to go, guys like Julien Brisebois should be first in line: a lawyer with a MBA, GM of two AHL clubs, has negotiated contracts for Montreal and Tampa, and you know... is actively employed and on the rise (he's done all this and is only 34).

I really liked the idea a couple of other posters had. Hiring Lacroix for a couple of years and Roy as his assistant then to take over for him. Not only would it bring immediate credibility to the franchise,

In Colorado they were winners, Patrick Roy should be in the orginization, he is a champion and has the highest desire to win championships. There were some really great articles about him when he was here in Colorado.

They are also very aware of Hartley and Crawford as potential coaches. This would make the orginization immediately on the same page.

i like the style of play, physical teams, toughness they had in Colorado for those years. They all have stanley cups together.

To me it makes sense to totally clean house and start in a different direction.

http://articles.cour...r-paul-holmgren

All those Pierre McGuire as GM rumours led to this article being dug up about McGuire's firing as head coach of Hartford. It's amazing. Read it.

I can't see the justification in people wanting a guy who hasn't been employed by a NHL team since 1996 as their GM. If Gauthier is to go, guys like Julien Brisebois should be first in line: a lawyer with a MBA, GM of two AHL clubs, has negotiated contracts for Montreal and Tampa, and you know... is actively employed and on the rise (he's done all this and is only 34).

That's interesting about McGuire, but it's also a long time ago. Not sure youthful mistakes should be held against the guy forever. That being said, I don't want McGuire either. His main claim to fame is being a self-promoting loudmouth with an encyclopedic memory and a long list of blaring opinions. None of this makes him a self-evident choice to run an organization. We need a SERIOUS, impeccably qualified candidate with the right combination of people skills, knowledge, sang-froid and driving will to win. Too bad you never hear Jim Nill's name in this context.

That's interesting about McGuire, but it's also a long time ago. Not sure youthful mistakes should be held against the guy forever. That being said, I don't want McGuire either. His main claim to fame is being a self-promoting loudmouth with an encyclopedic memory and a long list of blaring opinions. None of this makes him a self-evident choice to run an organization. We need a SERIOUS, impeccably qualified candidate with the right combination of people skills, knowledge, sang-froid and driving will to win. Too bad you never hear Jim Nill's name in this context.

That article is also the only time Pierre was either a Head Coach and Assistant GM (his other job title with the Whalers) in the NHL.  This is the management experience people point to when they say Pierre wasn't just a broadcaster, he had NHL management experience before.  Not only is that management experience outdated and near useless in todays NHL where Free Agency and the Salary Cap have greatly changed things since the mid 90s, but it was a complete and utter disaster.  I really, really don't want to give Pierre the keys to this franchise, especially with an owner/president who might not be the most hockey savvy guy in the world.

Keep in mind that when Pierre was fired in Hartford, Serge Savard was our GM, and Jacques Demers was our coach, thats how far removed from true hockey management he is. Only having a scouting job for a couple years in Ottawa after that, but no real power, and broadcasting since like 1997 or 1998.

For what it's worth, Francois Gagnon did mention Jim Nill as an excellent candidate. He even tweeted that a francophone GM is not as important as coach.

Pierre is a bit of a nut sometimes but I'm willing to take a chance on him. We can't do any worse than we have for the last 20 years. I know that could be famous last words but at this point I'm willing to try anything to get this team to turn it around already and get us back up there as a serious contender. I am so tired of mediocre hockey in Montreal. PM may be just what we need.

http://articles.cour...r-paul-holmgren

Glad someone else shares my thoughts.

For what it's worth, Francois Gagnon did mention Jim Nill as an excellent candidate. He even tweeted that a francophone GM is not as important as coach.

In all honesty, I totally disagree. I place higher "importance" on a french speaking GM than a french speaking coach.

As a french Canadian, I want the true leaders of a local business to speak french. Not the 3rd/4th man in the front office chart.

Owner > President > GM > Coach

I still don't understand why people care more about the coach than the Owner. (well, I do understand, but I disagree)

McGuire was older than I currently am (30) when he had that job, and I can't imagine blaming my youth for any mistakes I make anymore. If he was that immature and unqualified at 32, I can't imagine what 15 years of no NHL job has done to change all that.

Anyways, the issue with Jim Nill with any GM job is that Detroit doesn't let go of their staff very easily. If he wants the job, we should definitely include him in the talks. As far as I'm concerned, he's a pipe dream, but sometimes those come true.

If we assume the next coach must speak French, ya, forgetting all those European soccer coaches that don't speak the first language of the city they coach in, like that's relevant. Would Jim Nill take the job?

Pierre is a bit of a nut sometimes but I'm willing to take a chance on him. We can't do any worse than we have for the last 20 years. I know that could be famous last words but at this point I'm willing to try anything to get this team to turn it around already and get us back up there as a serious contender. I am so tired of mediocre hockey in Montreal. PM may be just what we need.

althought I dont agree with you ....i think your pic of Vader in a habs uniform is priceless...good show

I agree. If there was a strong francophone GM with a strong personality aka Roy then I think it would take alot of pressure off finding a French speaking coach. Particularly if the GM told the media (in French) to drop the language thing or there would be no more access to habs players.

(null)

Thats what he says before he gets here but if Nil came and did not produce a cup in year one, he would flip

althought I dont agree with you ....i think your pic of Vader in a habs uniform is priceless...good show

Why thank you. I'm a big Star Wars nerd and I love the Habs so it just felt natural. :)

So basically McGuire's comments are on track. Skilled player but not a finisher.

I remember reading that Nill actually can speak french

Why thank you. I'm a big Star Wars nerd and I love the Habs so it just felt natural. :)

It is a fun avatar, but frankly this season more closely resembles Anakin Skywalker - a bloody, burned-out, armless/legless pulp writhing in agony at the end of Revenge of the Sith - than the Vader of the original trilogy. :1vomit: