Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

It is a fun avatar, but frankly this season more closely resembles Anakin Skywalker - a bloody, burned-out, armless/legless pulp writhing in agony at the end of Revenge of the Sith - than the Vader of the original trilogy. :1vomit:

Ah, but look on the bright side...that means we are now in the Age of The Empire and soon "A New Hope" will be upon us. Hopefully that won't be a 20 year period like the films were. :(

I

For what it's worth, Francois Gagnon did mention Jim Nill as an excellent candidate. He even tweeted that a francophone GM is not as important as coach.

What is it worth ? Some old journalist hack has a say in how to run the team. It's pathetic that any fan or hab emplyee would give a rats ass what he thinks

• Upvote 1

What is it worth ? Some old journalist hack has a say in how to run the team. It's pathetic that any fan or hab emplyee would give a rats ass what he thinks

wow... well... thats the role of analysts. They look at the way things are and people give their opinion on it. If you don't like it like you obviously don't you don't read it. These people spend more time researching hockey and watching games and analyzing trends because... its their job. Many of their opinions have some base in reality. Some just feed media firestorms that are a problem with this franchise as they hype up problems that don't exist or exaggerate them... but considering many people read his opinions and may share his opinions... maybe habs employee's are seeing what people think about the idea of french or not french, they are a company of sorts that is trying to reflect what the people its clients want... yeah.

You completely missed the context in which I made that post.

I'm new to this site and didn't go through all 434 pages but was wondering if anyone else saw Jeff Carter as a good fit for the Habs? IMHO he would be a great fit as he:

1) Seems to be a shooter and the Habs have lots of playmakers to feed him the puck.

2) Adds size down the middle.

3) Is a legitimate 1st line centre which the Habs haven't had in a while.

4) Has a decent contract at 5.3mil if he can be a 70-80 pt/year guy. He'll turn 37 half way through the last year of the cantract.

Anyway, what do you guys think of getting him over to the Habs?

I'm new to this site and didn't go through all 434 pages but was wondering if anyone else saw Jeff Carter as a good fit for the Habs? IMHO he would be a great fit as he:

1) Seems to be a shooter and the Habs have lots of playmakers to feed him the puck.

4) Has a decent contract at 5.3mil if he can be a 70-80 pt/year guy. He'll turn 37 half way through the last year of the cantract.

I worry that a noted party animal with attitude issues coming to Montreal would be like putting matches in the hand of a pyromaniac.

Other than that, most of the other risks involved in taking him on are manageable.

If ignore his first 2 years in NHL, he has averaged 49.6 points/year for past 5 and plus this years pace. Not really super stats.

So, $5+/year for a 50 point guy for a crazy term is not Gomez bad but i wouldnt touch a deal for him, plus Columbus would ask for valuable picks/players/prospects, which makes me wish they wouldnt consider.

Now Getzlaf, Kopitar, Stastny, Eric Stall or Lecavalier would be a different story and better options if thinking of flipping Plekanec in a package deal for one of these guys. But something like that would be better done on July 1st.

My 2 cents

I think Jeff Carter would be GREAT with the Habs. I worry less about his partying than most. I'd be more concerned if he brought this with him into the locker room and therefore was a negative influence for the next 10 years. imagine him taking his vengeance on the Flyers for us!!! I would seriously live to know what it would take to get him. if the Habs drop to 10-14 in the draft I would trade the 1st rounder for him.

How about thoughts on the draft? You guys think Galchenyuk would be a good fit for the Habs? I think there are enough Dmen in the system that they don't have to take one in the first round and I would love to see a big centre but haven't seen Galchenyuk play live.

How about thoughts on the draft? You guys think Galchenyuk would be a good fit for the Habs? I think there are enough Dmen in the system that they don't have to take one in the first round and I would love to see a big centre but haven't seen Galchenyuk play live.

There's lots of draft talk going on in the draft thread, here's the link: http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?showtopic=23192

I worry that a noted party animal with attitude issues coming to Montreal would be like putting matches in the hand of a pyromaniac.

Other than that, most of the other risks involved in taking him on are manageable.

I wouldn't wan that contract for even a pick.10 yrs? Talk about a cap strangler

Once a Habs fan, especially if you grew up one, you are always a Habs fan. No? Ask Cole. Meh to Carter. (LOL @ old guy using meh) Our "true" #1C, who we must hold cap space for, is UFA87 end of next season. Either he signs here or he was never a real fan.

I have had that date marked ever since our name was drawn in the lottery and am holding on to the belief. Living in Halifax I see way too many 87 Pens bumper stickers and have round Hab logo stickers ready to start refacing them with once he signs.

Q: If my hopes become reality will anyone on here call him Cindy?

Well, Carter is a pretty good player: reliably a 30-goal, 60-70 point C with size, and with a high ceiling (80+ points if all goes well). He and Pleks would make a very nice 1-2 punch. Despite all the hysteria over contracts, a cap hit of 5.3 seems to me reasonable for a player of that profile; that is NOT franchise player money, it's a manageable contract for a core player. And his value right now is absolutely at its lowest, on a team that would quite possibly be happy to part with him.

All of that is worth investigating.

The downsides: a history of being somewhat injury-prone and a reputation as an immature party animal. Those are big red flags. You'd have to be extremely diligent in doing your homework about him, and about surrendering substantial young assets for him. In short, IF you can get him for a moderate return (Desharnais +), and if you have reason to believe that his character is non-toxic - keeping in mind that players do mature over time (c.f. Ribeiro, Grabovski) - then it might be a nice opportunity to plug that hole at C on a discount.

Part of my logic here, though, is that you don't need The Big Saviour to fix this team. I've always been a believer in the 'roll four lines,' NJ Devils/Pat Burns model where you don't necessarily have a superstar but play a team game and overwhelm opponents with wave after wave of smart, effective hockey. This team was very close to achieving that, but instead melted down. Strategic upgrades at key positions, along with strong coaching and team buy-in, could bring us to the desired point.

Q: If my hopes become reality will anyone on here call him Cindy?

I've personally never called him Cindy. It's a dumb, troglodyte insult that's extremely sexist in nature made by dumb, troglodyte, sexist hockey fans. Especially when, "Crosbaby" makes the point perfectly.

Sid on the Canadiens would be an absolute dream. People would still complain because he isn't 6'4" but Crosby has generational talent. It's why I also wanted Jagr over the summer. Generational talent will always produce, even when it gets old and injured.

Probably seeing if there is anyone else worth bringing along in a trade for Wade Redden. :mellow:

I would laugh - if i wasn't so worried that you might be right :crazy: