Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Here's my issue with the shortlist. Vancouver, Boston, Los Angeles, the N.Y. Rangers, San Jose and Toronto. Philadelphia and Montreal are on it. Nash has already said, and it's a well-known fact, he does not want to play in a big hockey market. Of that list the smallest markets are LA and San Jose, which neither are that small. Other reports suggest he only has a list of 5 teams. Other reports are saying Howson is just dangling Nash out there looking for a deal that will knock his socks off, or he won't be moved.

To me, all this speculation of his list and where he might go is pure bull. Just reporters trying to get people to read their stories.

I'd rather have Parise as a UFA,than what we'd have to give up to get Nash

You have stated the obvious. I expect so would 29 other teams. I think the chances of getting either one are pretty slim. If we could get rid of Gomez contract we could throw house money at the Parise contract.

You have stated the obvious. I expect so would 29 other teams. I think the chances of getting either one are pretty slim. If we could get rid of Gomez contract we could throw house money at the Parise contract.

and even then, we probably still would have zero chance of actually being able to sign him.

Bury Gomez in the minors. Contract gone. Problem is it's still doesn't solve our desperate need for a center with size.

Parise is looking for the 9m-10m range. If we do trade Gomez, we still would be paying 2.6m more for Parise and have less cap space for a center. While I like the idea of a star forward on our team, I would much rather have 2 solid scoring lines. This year is showing us all how well it works with 1 good line and 3 broken lines. Not a Boston fan, but their the poster boys for success without a star forward, only having solid lines.

It's easy to spend 10 million of Molsons money isn't it? Bury Gomez? That's what it'll cost.

What is this, 1996 again?

Molson didn't purchase the Montreal Expos. He purchased the Montreal Canadiens. If he is unwilling to spend an extra $10M in Hamilton for the better of the team, he might as well go ahead and sell it to someone else.

What is this, 1996 again?

Molson didn't purchase the Montreal Expos. He purchased the Montreal Canadiens. If he is unwilling to spend an extra $10M in Hamilton for the better of the team, he might as well go ahead and sell it to someone else.

It is what it is, we shall see. That's a lot of cash to bury.

Parise is looking for the 9m-10m range.

Either your source or Parise himself is delusional. There is no way he is worth or going to get that much money. He might get it in actual salary for the first couple years in one of those crazy front loaded, cap friendly, long term deals but not as an average salary per year. Anything more than 7.5m cap hit per year is too much.

If the owner is unwilling to spend money to better his team, he may as well keep Gauthier as GM or get Houle back.

Realistically it isn't any money out of Moulson's pocket. With the team making in excess of 50m a year.

I said he was looking for it, not saying he's going to get it.

It is what it is, we shall see. That's a lot of cash to bury.

I'm of three beliefs:

1. The new CBA will allow for a no penalty buy-out and Montreal will use it on Gomez.

2. Gomez will be placed in the minors to play with Wade Redden and Devin Setoguchi.

3. The next Canadiens GM will be smart enough to craft a trade for Gomez to a team that wants his cap hit to artificially inflate their total cap.

Good owners and good GMs find ways to find regardless of the issue in front of them and if Montreal wants to win, they need to re-sign Eller, Subban and Price to whatever it takes.

I see what you did there Machine of Loving Grace. If option 3 doesn't happen, it's because the GM isn't smart enough to craft such a deal. I want Gomez gone, but I'm guessing even the poor teams have capologists. Is there a precedent for that reach the cap floor stuff? I highly doubt teams come to the realization they won't make the floor, and seek out the leagues worst contract. Let's play GM, would you take Gomez, even though he's owed 5 million per season? I'd rather have two players thet work hard and contribute for the same cash, and cap relief.

I see what you did there Machine of Loving Grace. If option 3 doesn't happen, it's because the GM isn't smart enough to craft such a deal. I want Gomez gone, but I'm guessing even the poor teams have capologists. Is there a precedent for that reach the cap floor stuff? I highly doubt teams come to the realization they won't make the floor, and seek out the leagues worst contract. Let's play GM, would you take Gomez, even though he's owed 5 million per season? I'd rather have two players thet work hard and contribute for the same cash, and cap relief.

Gomez is owed 10 million over the next two seasons but his cap hit is 14.7 million. Thus a team can get 14.7 million cap relief while only spending 10 million. If a rebuilding team wants to be near the cap floor they can save their owner 4.7 million over two years by taking Gomez. They maybe also get a prospect or pick(s) from us for doing this. This could be a lot better than adding two 2.5 million players during a rebuilding phase.

To make Gomez work for cap purposes only you need a rare situation. You would need a team like the Oilers, with good, young talent, without the contracts of Smyth and Horcoff. Basically you need a situation where you have the talent and youth you fill ice-time and production, but not cap space. Edmonton has one of the worse contract in the league with Horcoff, but is happy to have it because they need to burn money.

Option 3 is a possibility, but its one that has been diminished greatly by gomez's play this year. If he had bounced back and had a better season than last year (like say 50 pts) he might have value for that, but not so much now.

Option 3 is a possibility, but its one that has been diminished greatly by gomez's play this year. If he had bounced back and had a better season than last year (like say 50 pts) he might have value for that, but not so much now.

Exactly...I just don't see someone taking on that contract. Even if a team has to work at getting to the cap floor. That's how useless Gomez has become.

It was rumoured on Twitter last night that Gomez was actually seeking interest from at least 2 different teams. wishful thinking is my beleife but none the less one can always hope that #11 sees ice elsewhere.

Yes, i think it will. Think about the GM's who no matter how hard they try can't help themselves with really bad contracts. This time it was term and length.

Gomez will be gone one way or another next year for sure.

They need to move AK46, Moen and atleast 2 more D.

They need an upgrade in defenseman and centers next year for sure. You aren't going anywhere with Pleks, Descharnais and Eller as you top 3.

At a time when you can get the most value for any player you put out there, that you are in lottery position should tell you that you need to make moves. What are we waiting for? We should be able to make a least one deal a day for the rest of the week. If PG doesn't get AK and Moen either signed or moved he can safely put the noose around his own neck.

Any chance a new CBA could result in another free buy out period?

Nothing is 100%, but it seems likely from reports. It seems both the PA and the owners want a limited amnesty buyout period, they just need to work out the details. This is an area both groups seem to have some agreement on, so I think it will happen.

At a time when you can get the most value for any player you put out there, that you are in lottery position should tell you that you need to make moves. What are we waiting for? We should be able to make a least one deal a day for the rest of the week. If PG doesn't get AK and Moen either signed or moved he can safely put the noose around his own neck.

We're waiting for a great offer on these guys. For Gill we got an offer we couldn't refuse. For some of the others we obviously haven't gotten the same kind of offers yet. Gauthier is waiting for the pressure of the deadline to drive up the price on the guys where he hasn't gotten that knock your socks off offer yet. Also Moen needs to get healthy to get that offer we want for him.

We're waiting for a great offer on these guys. For Gill we got an offer we couldn't refuse. For some of the others we obviously haven't gotten the same kind of offers yet. Gauthier is waiting for the pressure of the deadline to drive up the price on the guys where he hasn't gotten that knock your socks off offer yet. Also Moen needs to get healthy to get that offer we want for him.

I am hoping you right, but I can see a scenerio were they come back and say,we wanted to move player X but just run out of time. God I just hope that management still isn't in playoff mode. I am getting restless. Here we got the best opportunity we have seen an years, I just hope they don't blow it.