Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I have no idea where the Yandle rumours came from but I've heard them since the draft. He just signed a long term deal with Phoenix. Is he getting cold feet the same way Doan did?

I'm expecting Phoenix to want good value at a low cost back. Only guy I think would work great for them from us is Desharnais.

Very interesting. But Desharnais for Yandle is a trade we win hands-down. It does leave us with a painful hole at C, though.

Very interesting. But Desharnais for Yandle is a trade we win hands-down. It does leave us with a painful hole at C, though.

It would have more than just DD but yeah it would. We'd have only one NHL capable top six center if Galy was not ready. In that situation you'd have to bring in Olli Jokinen for a season or two.

It would have more than just DD but yeah it would. We'd have only one NHL capable top six center if Galy was not ready. In that situation you'd have to bring in Olli Jokinen for a season or two.

Well, I'm a big believer that an elite defence corps is the royal road to winning. I'd accept a stop-gap solution at C if it meant bringing in an elite (and young!) defenceman like Yandle. Small price to pay. I have trouble believing that the price won't be significantly higher than DD, though, as you say.

Well, I'm a big believer that an elite defence corps is the royal road to winning. I'd accept a stop-gap solution at C if it meant bringing in an elite (and young!) defenceman like Yandle. Small price to pay. I have trouble believing that the price won't be significantly higher than DD, though, as you say.

The concept of Yandle even being on the market bewilders me. He currently is the most valuable player on the Coyotes and trading him would leave the Coyotes with zero assets. Anyone buying that team is basically purchasing a team of unwanted throwaways who are banding together to prove people wrong. Even their prospects are pretty average. There's nothing special on the team.

Either way, if he is on the market, one must wonder what Phoenix even wants for him. All I could figure was maybe a cheap costing top six forward. Other than that, prospects that won't run away? Good luck, Glendale.

Doing the free agent forward piece today, it became painfully obvious that Olli Jokinen is the only top 6 capable centre who is a group III UFA in the entire NHL....

Thats it.

If your plan is to sign him, you better sign him, because plan B does not exist in Free Agency.

If your plan is to sign him, you better sign him, because plan B does not exist in Free Agency.

Jokinen is likely going to get $6M from someone. Probably Dallas.

I have no idea why Wellwood is leaving Winnipeg. I guess he wants to play for Phoenix because I don't see much other opportunity for him.

I have also heard that Montreal is in on Yandle, and some of the teams they are competing against for him are looking at Suter first as they won't have to give up anything to sign the Predator's D-Man. Also reports that Montreal is a least one of the contenders in the Shane Doan thing. Again teams they are competing against may be interested more in Parise and thus Montreal will have more of an opportunity to sign him.

I have also heard that Montreal is in on Yandle, and some of the teams they are competing against for him are looking at Suter first as they won't have to give up anything to sign the Predator's D-Man. Also reports that Montreal is a least one of the contenders in the Shane Doan thing. Again teams they are competing against may be interested more in Parise and thus Montreal will have more of an opportunity to sign him.

Interesting speculation, that the Habs are positioning themselves at the front of the line for players other teams may not be making their Plan A. Yandle would be a tremendous acquisition, provided neither PK nor Patches are involved in the deal (I could live with losing DD even without an immediate replacement, for that kind of return); Doan, more the sort of shorter-term move I'd expect from a team trying to patch holes until help can come from the system. Either'd be welcome, but also long shots...and we'll have to overpay Doan, of course. Ah, UFA season, always fun.

Interesting speculation, that the Habs are positioning themselves at the front of the line for players other teams may not be making their Plan A. Yandle would be a tremendous acquisition, provided neither PK nor Patches are involved in the deal (I could live with losing DD even without an immediate replacement, for that kind of return); Doan, more the sort of shorter-term move I'd expect from a team trying to patch holes until help can come from the system. Either'd be welcome, but also long shots...and we'll have to overpay Doan, of course. Ah, UFA season, always fun.

I would overpay for Doan, but RW not a real weakness/need.

Both Yotes would do wonders for us next season. Patch would learn so much from a power forward like Doan, Yandle would solidify our 2nd power play d pairing... a huge glaring hole there.

I hope we could make this happen. I wouldn't be crazy to think Eller could play centre on the 2nd line if DD was traded?

I hope we could make this happen. I wouldn't be crazy to think Eller could play centre on the 2nd line if DD was traded?

Too soon I'd say. I think he still has the potential to play top six due to his slick passing but he has two seasons under his belt and is still not much of a face-off man.

Too soon I'd say. I think he still has the potential to play top six due to his slick passing but he has two seasons under his belt and is still not much of a face-off man.

If we had to trade DD to acquire a guy like Yandle, I'd give Eller a shot at top six minutes. I think he would produce playing with our better scorers.

Faceoffs are important though. But I would imagine he's been working on them and will continue to do so throughout training camp and we'll see an improvement this year.

If we had to trade DD to acquire a guy like Yandle, I'd give Eller a shot at top six minutes. I think he would produce playing with our better scorers.

Faceoffs are important though. But I would imagine he's been working on them and will continue to do so throughout training camp and we'll see an improvement this year.

Plekanec improved on Faceoffs by cheating a ton more. He needs to learn how to cheat.

I'd be willing to lose DD and take a gamble on Eller if it meant acquiring Yandle. It's definitely a high-risk move - Eller has potential but his play until now has not particularly impressed me - but it's also probably easier to lay hands on a passable #2 C somewhere down the line than it is to get a player with Yandle's profile. And who knows, Eller could blossom.

Tampering always happens. Don't buy into anything you hear it doesn't. Players know where they want to go and agents know where they want to and they always contact GMs or their assistants in secret to see if there's a chance they can get a certain player. If you're a player like Parise, you know exactly where you can go and for how much.

Remember when Wilson and the Leafs got nailed for tampering? That wasn't because they were tampering but because they got caught. Don't believe anything otherwise. One of the easiest avenues to avoid being nailed for tampering is for example, let's say Mike Cammalleri a week before free agency called up Josh Gorges and asked him if Montreal was interested. Gorges then talks to Gainey about Cammalleri and Gainey says, "Yes, we're interested". Gorges goes back to Cammalleri and tells him yes, Montreal is interested. While it is wrong for Gainey to give Gorges that information, nobody would know because it's a private conversation between a GM and his signed player. It's not wrong at all for Gorges to talk to Cammalleri about it because there's no rules against players discussing what teams they wish to play for. This is how the "Miami Heat Three" got created with all three players signing to the same team at pretty much the same time.

Tampering always happens.

I don't dispute that tampering occurs. But the statements I bolded are both wrong. Gainey was allowed to tell Gorges that we are interested in Cammalleri. Both Gainey and Gorges were Habs employees and they are within their rights to discuss what players to target to improve the team. But if Gorges passes this info on to Cammalleri before Cammi is a free agent then Gorges and the Habs are guilty of tampering. The rules are explicit that players are not allowed to tell other players under contract about potential interest.

It probably happens but it is explicitly against the tampering rules.

The league has shown time and time again they don't care about tampering as long as you don't publicize it.

The reason Wilson got a slap on the wrist (and it really was a slap on the wrist) was for going on TV and saying "The Leafs are trying to sign the Sedins".

Its don't ask, don't tell.

Don't publicize what you are doing and you are fine.

The league has shown time and time again they don't care about tampering as long as you don't publicize it.

The reason Wilson got a slap on the wrist (and it really was a slap on the wrist) was for going on TV and saying "The Leafs are trying to sign the Sedins".

Its don't ask, don't tell.

Don't publicize what you are doing and you are fine.

That is correct! :0

Looks like the Kingston rumour mill failed me with the Allen rumour.

Bergevin has once again supposedly delayed his planned press conference leading to all sorts of rumblings something might be up. :scared: (Okay, this isn't really a rumour but it suggests something could be happening...)

Bergevin has once again supposedly delayed his planned press conference leading to all sorts of rumblings something might be up. :scared: (Okay, this isn't really a rumour but it suggests something could be happening...)

We can hope...both that something is up, and that it isn't yet another 'depth' signing but some bona-fide Poly-fil for those gaping holes in the top 4/top 6.

I don't know if has been mentioned before but I have heard it both casually and seriously tossed around that Jagr may be coming to the Canadiens. Some of the reports are from pretty high end people in the hockey community. Not 100% sure but if I remember correctly Jeff Marek may have mentioned it.

I don't know if has been mentioned before but I have heard it both casually and seriously tossed around that Jagr may be coming to the Canadiens. Some of the reports are from pretty high end people in the hockey community. Not 100% sure but if I remember correctly Jeff Marek may have mentioned it.

Bergevin straight up said in his press conference that he didn't have any interest in Jagr (or Semin)

Touching on this Yandle talk. Phoenix is going to have some issues signing guys to fill adequate needs while reaching the cap floor. A trade sending say, Gomez|Kaberle along with DD|Eller|Bourque Geoffrion|Palushaj Weber|Diaz for say Hanzal and Yandle.

Pheonix gets mad roster spots filled and salary in place to meet the floor.

Habs land 2 major pieces. Obviously Hanzal would be as untouchable as Yandle and the two in one move involving the name Gomez is ridiculous. It would be nice to be in the position Philly usually is when negotiating with teams are mortgaging players.

No link for this one but it appears the Habs will invite Brendan Ranford to rookie camp in September. He was a 7th rounder of the Flyers who re-entered the draft back in June; he played his entire career in Kamloops in the WHL. Ranford had 92 points in 69 games last year plus 14 points in 11 postseason contests.