Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

This isn't really a rumour per se but rather speculation. The deadline to accept qualifying offers quietly passed at 5 PM EST this afternoon and there is still no deal between the Habs and Blake Geoffrion. (There isn't one with Subban either but everyone knew he wasn't going to take his.) The last time this happened was last year with Mathieu Carle who was dealt very quickly thereafter (he's KHL bound this year if anyone's wondering). I thought his deal would have been done a while ago which makes me wonder a bit. Now, there's a little known clause in the CBA that says an extension can be granted up to a set date (not indefinitely) so that may have happened unbeknownst to us.

For the record, his QO is $803,250/$62,500. Logic dictates that the Habs will be looking to do what they did with Nash, St-Denis, and Palushaj earlier and have him take less in the NHL for more in the AHL. With there being nothing else going on right now, this could be interesting to keep an eye out on (as minor as it may be), whether he gets a new deal or a trade if he's not willing to sign such a contract.

Geoffrion finally signed for one year 2 way deal.

This is still good to have him as depth.

Problem with him is that he gives away the puck to easily.

At 24 nobody is dreaming for a breakthrought NHL season but could be a steady force in

the AHL.

At 24 nobody is dreaming for a breakthrought NHL season but could be a steady force in

the AHL.

I'm dreaming :D!

This isn't really a rumour per se but rather speculation. The deadline to accept qualifying offers quietly passed at 5 PM EST this afternoon and there is still no deal between the Habs and Blake Geoffrion. (There isn't one with Subban either but everyone knew he wasn't going to take his.) The last time this happened was last year with Mathieu Carle who was dealt very quickly thereafter (he's KHL bound this year if anyone's wondering). I thought his deal would have been done a while ago which makes me wonder a bit. Now, there's a little known clause in the CBA that says an extension can be granted up to a set date (not indefinitely) so that may have happened unbeknownst to us.

For the record, his QO is $803,250/$62,500. Logic dictates that the Habs will be looking to do what they did with Nash, St-Denis, and Palushaj earlier and have him take less in the NHL for more in the AHL. With there being nothing else going on right now, this could be interesting to keep an eye out on (as minor as it may be), whether he gets a new deal or a trade if he's not willing to sign such a contract.

Ok! Good chat everyone. Now back to the Gomez debate.

the AHL.

I give a player until 25 before I lose hope in them. If they are still struggling at 25 it's rare to see them make it later.

I would love to see him work on his faceoff numbers and come in next season as Nokia's replacement. He has good enough size to play the role. However, hope of seeing "Boom Boom Blake" is pretty much gone at this point. I still think there's a skilled player in there.

I give a player until 25 before I lose hope in them. If they are still struggling at 25 it's rare to see them make it later.

I would love to see him work on his faceoff numbers and come in next season as Nokia's replacement. He has good enough size to play the role. However, hope of seeing "Boom Boom Blake" is pretty much gone at this point. I still think there's a skilled player in there.

Tom Pyatt had only 2 goals for Habs each year, but last year with Tampa he was given more ice and much better linemates and had 12 goals. So getting on the good side of coaching staff can play a huge role in production/development.

Similar to Palushaj, who has seen very limited minutes on checking lines, which is a killer for a smaller offensive player. I am not sure why he wasnt played more at end of last year and on the PP to see what he could really do if given 16-18 minutes.

Tom Pyatt had only 2 goals for Habs each year, but last year with Tampa he was given more ice and much better linemates and had 12 goals. So getting on the good side of coaching staff can play a huge role in production/development.

Similar to Palushaj, who has seen very limited minutes on checking lines, which is a killer for a smaller offensive player. I am not sure why he wasnt played more at end of last year and on the PP to see what he could really do if given 16-18 minutes.

I loved Pyatt... Wasn't the difference in our winning percentage with him compared to without him last season remarkable? I don't remember the numbers, but it was wild.

Ok! Good chat everyone. Now back to the Gomez debate.

At this point, I don't understand what is left to debate about Gomez.

At this point, I don't understand what is left to debate about Gomez.

Well, there could be a discussion about whether or not he should play wing or centre, whether or not he should go back to #91...maybe talk about him changing stick manufacturers?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Aaron Dell, a goalie at North Dakota who has attended a pair of Habs' rookie camps, reportedly is nearing an NHL deal with an as-yet-unknown team. Given his 'past' with the Habs, I'd imagine there's at least a small chance that they're the unnamed NHL team. As it stands there are 5 goalies under contract so I wouldn't call it likely unless one of Mayer or Delmas (preferably the former) were to be moved elsewhere.

Aaron Dell, a goalie at North Dakota who has attended a pair of Habs' rookie camps, reportedly is nearing an NHL deal with an as-yet-unknown team. Given his 'past' with the Habs, I'd imagine there's at least a small chance that they're the unnamed NHL team. As it stands there are 5 goalies under contract so I wouldn't call it likely unless one of Mayer or Delmas (preferably the former) were to be moved elsewhere.

Can Dell sign contract and also return to UND for his senior year? I think jettisoning Mayey would not even be an issue and move Dell in as AHL backup or ECHL starter?

Can Dell sign contract and also return to UND for his senior year? I think jettisoning Mayey would not even be an issue and move Dell in as AHL backup or ECHL starter?

Nope. If he signs a pro contract he can't go back and play for UND. As for letting go of Mayer, I think it wouldn't be that easy. Who would want to use a contract spot on a player whose ceiling looks to be a mediocre ECHL starter/below average AHL backup?

Nope. If he signs a pro contract he can't go back and play for UND. As for letting go of Mayer, I think it wouldn't be that easy. Who would want to use a contract spot on a player whose ceiling looks to be a mediocre ECHL starter/below average AHL backup?

are you saying Mayer is a minor -pro at best (which seems very likely) or Dell. Do teams normally go to the 50 contract limit?

are you saying Mayer is a minor -pro at best (which seems very likely) or Dell. Do teams normally go to the 50 contract limit?

Yeah, I'm referring to Mayer as that. And yes, teams are often close to the 50 limit, I'd hazard a guess that 2/3 of the league are or will be at 46 or higher by puck drop on the next season. We've seen a few instances in the past where teams are trading an AHL'er plus a pick for squat just to get back under the limit. (I think Philly did this with Stefan Legein a couple years back.)

Aaron Dell has signed with the Colorado Eagles of the ECHL.

too bad, so i assume he is now "property" of Jets who are affliated with that Eagles team.

too bad, so i assume he is now "property" of Jets who are affliated with that Eagles team.

No, he signed an ECHL contract.

Any AHL team can steal him at any time by giving him an AHL deal. Any NHL team could do the same.

Its the same when we signed a guy like DeSimone to the AHL deal last year, he was on the bulldogs but any NHL team could steal him cause its an AHL only deal. Same with Hagel this year, If some team wants to give him a 2 way contract he's gone.

But the thing is they don't count against the 50 contract limit.

No, he signed an ECHL contract.

Any AHL team can steal him at any time by giving him an AHL deal. Any NHL team could do the same.

Its the same when we signed a guy like DeSimone to the AHL deal last year, he was on the bulldogs but any NHL team could steal him cause its an AHL only deal. Same with Hagel this year, If some team wants to give him a 2 way contract he's gone.

But the thing is they don't count against the 50 contract limit.

Is there a max $ amount an AHL or ECHL contract can be?

Is there a max $ amount an AHL or ECHL contract can be?

Nope, there are no limits. In fact, there seems to be a bit of trend towards high money AHL-only deals. Mike Zigomanis just signed one, I believe Jeff Taffe did as well, I know I'm missing a few on top of those two. There aren't any big money teams in the ECHL so I'd imagine you'd be hard pressed to find a highly paid player.