Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

It would take more than Bourque to land Parenteau. Just look at their numbers. It's more likely to be Eller going the other way, which I wouldn't like. It may help us short-term but we shouldn't be trading long-term assets for short-term gains.

I would go for Buff if we send a big contract like Gorges the other way, and keep our top prospects. It would take a lot more than Gorges, though.

He's a healthy scratch in Colorado, and a right handed shot, let the rumors begin!

I find it hard to believe that it was straight up. If it was... what's going on inside Bergevin's head.

If true and I had to guess, salary could come into play. Parenteau makes more than Bourque and perhaps the Habs want to shed salary? Or Colorado wanted the Habs to retain some of Bourque's contract which would add more to Montreal's cap? This report also says the Habs wanted a different player in return so maybe Parenteau is a Plan B if they can't get their target? That way, TVA can drum up the turning down a French acquisition (as they already wasted no time doing) and still be right down the road if it were to happen by saying they targeted x player first.

That way, TVA can drum up the turning down a French acquisition (as they already wasted no time doing) and still be right down the road if it were to happen by saying they targeted x player first.

I don't quite get what you're saying here.

I don't quite get what you're saying here.

Today: Habs turn down deal for French player (Parenteau) because they want 'someone else'.

Later: Habs make deal for Parenteau because they couldn't get 'someone else' (or if they actually wanted him 1-1 and it's just TVA trying to stir up controversy).

TVA later: We're still right, the Habs turned down the deal to get the French guy and only settled for him later.

Colorado's beat reporter has already chimed in saying the report is not true. That suggests that TVA went for the sensationalism above all else (and considering they led with rejecting a trade for a French player and not any actual names at the start, I was already leaning that way).

That would be some disappointing under-handedness from what will soon be the main Habs network.

This is sort of a minor test for TVA's credibility. If this hotly promoted rumour is just a lot of smoke (which I suspect), it doesn't bode well for the level of coverage that we're to expect for the next 12 years.

TVA is owned by P-K Peladeau. Under-handedness is exactly what to expect from anything involving him. He has been critical of the Habs in the past for not being French enough, I'm sure he's encouraging his employees to try and up the public pressure to coincide with them becoming a partial Canadiens broadcaster.

Bob McKenzie said the Habs have inquired about Parenteau. I think that's where things are in the whole trade process. The Habs get word of him being a healthy scratch tonight and kick the tires which is what Renaud Lavoie seemed to suggest earlier today. This supposed vetoed trade seems like TVA wants to jump the gun and make some headlines.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/427957051281518592

It would definitely take a sweetener if we wanted to swap those two players. One thing we have on our side is that Bourqe's salary is below his cap hit, and Colorado has been a cheapo lately. They would save 3 million over the next two years. I wouldn't want to give up Bournival or a top prospect, and I don't know if there's anyone in Hamilton that would generate any interest. Could we throw in a 3rd or Thomas?

Heard Col wanted a draft pick and the habs eating some of Bourques salary. That is too much for a guy struggling and small.

I agree. Parenteau, in a cynically light, is a career minor leaguer who had a few good years with Tavares. If he needs a dynamic center to produce, he won't find it here. Anyone know who he played with last year?

I find it absolutely ridiculous that the headlines on sportsnet are "Habs turn down trade".There are probably 100 deals discussed every year and maybe 3 actually happen, and I have yet to see 97 headlines about a team turning down a trade. What a joke.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that the headlines on sportsnet are "Habs turn down trade".There are probably 100 deals discussed every year and maybe 3 actually happen, and I have yet to see 97 headlines about a team turning down a trade. What a joke.

As much as I make fun of some the TSN crew and guys like Pierre McGuire who work for them, its going to be pretty hard watching jokers like Maclean, watters and the other clowns on Sportsnet. They'll probably also sign the one guy on TSN that I hated (McGuire) and turkeys like Stock and Heally from the CBC.

As much as I make fun of some the TSN crew and guys like Pierre McGuire who work for them, its going to be pretty hard watching jokers like Maclean, watters and the other clowns on Sportsnet. They'll probably also sign the one guy on TSN that I hated (McGuire) and turkeys like Stock and Heally from the CBC.

I hope Stock and Healy go far far away. Absolutely worst hockey analysts who don't know their a***s from a hole in the ground.

Sportsnet is gonna suck either way.

It is Toronto-centric media and that stuff surprises you? They can barely even spell Montreal, forget about it.

Update on Bourque/Parenteau: RDS' Francois Gagnon claims Habs were ready to make a Bourque for Parenteau deal, but it was Colorado that refused.

Source: https://twitter.com/GagnonFrancois/status/427988778792542208

The plot thickens. Looking back, we'll all wonder exactly what transpired on this night, when a deal for third line undesirables went awry...