Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

44 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Torrey Mitchell has no goals in 34 games; Brian Flynn no goals in 14 games; Phillip Danault and Artturi Lehkonen no goals in 13 games; Tomas Plekanec no goals in 12 games; Mike McCarron and Paul Byron no goals in 10 games; Brendan Gallagher no goals in seven games; Alex Galchenyuk and Alexander Radulov no goals in five games and captain Max Pacioretty no goals in four games

The good news is that this kind of non-production is no more sustainable than was the explosion of scoring early in the season. The damn dam will break, sooner or later.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Wideman's a righty so he wouldn't help as a Weber partner but he could be a possibility to take Pateryn's spot on the third line I suppose.  I imagine the Habs were also keeping tabs on Vrbata, Sharp, and maybe even Hudler out of the Arizona-Dallas game.

Thanks Brian.

I remember wanting Sharp a couple years ago, you didn't like the idea at the time because of contract left etc. What do you think this year?

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Wideman's a righty so he wouldn't help as a Weber partner but he could be a possibility to take Pateryn's spot on the third line I suppose.  I imagine the Habs were also keeping tabs on Vrbata, Sharp, and maybe even Hudler out of the Arizona-Dallas game.

Calgary recently met with the league regarding perceived bias in officiating - they have a grieviance of a bias against wideman (because of last years incident with linesmen and the subsequent reduction in wideman's suspension), and the rest of the team.  I wouldn't want wideman if there is a chance that the officials are targeting him.

18 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Plekanec isn't counted on for goals? So that 6 million is for what? 

Plek has been dead weight.

22 minutes ago, nihilz said:

*coughs

Wuwuwuw.. simmer down. Holy panic Batman. Rhythm, chemistry or coaching? Who knows. Imo you have to give Juilen more time to implement things and get everyone on the same page.

Plek Mitchell & Flynn aren't counted on for goals. Lehkonen is a rookie and McCarron started the season in the AHL. While to me, Danault and Byron are exceeding expectation.

There is no way Bergevin is a seller.

I think for the first time.. we see Bergevin overpay to get exactly what he needs.

bahahaa

Pleks is making $6m.  If he isn't counted on for scoring goals, than MB is even. A bigger idiot than I think he is for extending him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Pleks is making $6m.  If he isn't counted on for scoring goals, than MB is even. A bigger idiot than I think he is for extending him.

Yea sorry fellas, Plek has been dead weight. Copy and past mishap.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, KoRP said:

I remember wanting Sharp a couple years ago, you didn't like the idea at the time because of contract left etc. What do you think this year?

It would make more sense now as a rental player.  Whether it's down the middle or on the wing, the Habs need another player or two capable of scoring.  Sharp isn't a front liner anymore (and his concussions this year are a concern) but he could fit in as a useful secondary scorer.  That said, they can't afford his salary outright so either Dallas would have to retain or they'd have to take someone like Desharnais back.

16 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It would make more sense now as a rental player.  Whether it's down the middle or on the wing, the Habs need another player or two capable of scoring.  Sharp isn't a front liner anymore (and his concussions this year are a concern) but he could fit in as a useful secondary scorer.  That said, they can't afford his salary outright so either Dallas would have to retain or they'd have to take someone like Desharnais back.

Ahhh, the old cap thing. Do we have anything that Dallas may want to make it happen? Goaltending prospect maybe?

2 minutes ago, KoRP said:

Ahhh, the old cap thing. Do we have anything that Dallas may want to make it happen? Goaltending prospect maybe?

It depends on what they want, really.  Do they prefer a pick or an already-drafted prospect?  They could use a goalie prospect but I don't think the Habs would move Lindgren and I can't see them wanting Fucale while McNiven/Hawkey are too far away from being NHL-ready.  I imagine they'd want a 2nd rounder at this point, especially if they're eating salary or taking a cap dump back.

1 minute ago, KoRP said:

Ah, ok thanks Brian. He's gotta be worth a second no?

On paper, I'd think he would be.  Considering they dealt Eaves yesterday for a 2nd, I also think they haven't been offered that yet or he'd already be somewhere else.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The good news is that this kind of non-production is no more sustainable than was the explosion of scoring early in the season. The damn dam will break, sooner or later.

Nice, agree.

7 hours ago, Habsfan1989 said:

Dead weight on this team is plek, DD and markov. We should of traded them all 4 years ago.

Markov is not dead weight. Old guy slowing down and approaching the end of his career? Yes. But at this time, I don't see Markov as dead weight. 

• Upvote 2

Markov-bashers are not paying attention. He has been invaluable this year. It's remarkable, really. And it's also unsettling, because a team with pretensions to contending should not be relying so crucially upon a 38-year old.

• Upvote 3

Warning* Simply an Eklund rumour...Habs interested in Drouin.

Simply for sake of discussion, would Yzerman do that? What would Drouin cost and what would he be worth giving up?

It would seem more an off-season type move, but also would think Yzerman wouldn't want to deal within division if could avoid it.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Warning* Simply an Eklund rumour...Habs interested in Drouin.

Simply for sake of discussion, would Yzerman do that? What would Drouin cost and what would he be worth giving up?

It would seem more an off-season type move, but also would think Yzerman wouldn't want to deal within division if could avoid it.

I just don't see that happening,  if Yzerman didn't do it last year I doubt its gonna happen now.  

However, If it did the cost would be way more than any of us would like to pay.  Think Gallagher plus Sergachev plus a high pick.   Plus Yzerman would probably want us to take a big contract back or something.   As great as Drouin is, even being Quebecois, I think it would be a mistake.  

However if Galchenyuk is really on the block(as some pundits believe) then I guess anything is possible.    

what the %$#@ do I know......I just want a perennial contender, is that too much to ask? 

On February 26, 2017 at 10:45 AM, Davehab said:

However, If it did the cost would be way more than any of us would like to pay.  Think Gallagher plus Sergachev plus a high pick. 

Think that's too high, by a lot.  Maybe Gallagher + a 2nd.  If that were even in consideration, and I know your price is only speculation, we could easily pull duchene or landeskog out of Colorado for that.

if there is any merit to drouin, it's going to be cheaper than you expect due to the fiasco last year with him.

16 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Think that's too high, by a lot.  Maybe Gallagher + a 2nd.  If that were even in consideration, and I know your price is only speculation, we could easily pull duchene or landeskog out of Colorado for that.

if there is any merit to drouin, it's going to be cheaper than you expect due to the fiasco last year with him.

I think the offer was fair value. 

As for comparing Drouin vs Duchene vs Landeskog. 

Drouin is the youngest of the three.  Has 4 years of team control ahead of him, and has the same number of points as Duchene this season (and 10 more than Landeskog).  

Drouin is the real deal (if he manages to stay healthy).

The fiasco about his playing time happened because he was (and is still) very young and he believed that he was already supposed to get a bigger role and more ice time.

He might have been wrong at the moment that it happened, but after the playoffs he had and throughout this season so far, I must admit that he was probably right.  He's a force on the ice, that's for sure.

On 2/26/2017 at 9:09 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Markov-bashers are not paying attention. He has been invaluable this year. It's remarkable, really. And it's also unsettling, because a team with pretensions to contending should not be relying so crucially upon a 38-year old.

A lot of NHL fans, especially if they get excited about the draft, are ageists. Anyone over the age of 31 is immediately assumed to be getting worse and it can happen at any moment. Sometimes it can be true (Mike Richards) and other times it can be a slump (I remember people thinking Selanne should retire in 2005) but a lot of times players keep playing top level hockey well into their mid to late 30s. 

The thing with Markov is he has been with exception to his injury years the best left defenceman on the Habs for the past 15 years and once he reached the age of 30, the team should have been drafting the next Markov, or building the next Markov, or trading for the next Markov. Andrei Markov was 30 in 2008. While the Canadiens didn't find that left handed defenceman, they did find that number one defenceman by then in 2007 when they drafted Subban in the second round. But a left handed defenceman?

Oh wait, they did draft that Markov replacement. His name was Ryan McDonaugh. Well phooey.

In 2010 they drafted Tinordi and traded up for him. He busted. Then Nathan Beaulieu in 2011. Unless he puts it together real soon, doesn't look like he'll do it. At that point the team should have been looking to acquire that left handed D via trade or free agency. Maybe they have. So far they have nothing to show for it. The only guys they went out to get for the top four have both been right handed: Jeff Petry and Shea Weber.

Seriously, look at the Canadiens left D for the past 10 years and you don't really see anyone other than Beaulieu who could have possibly become that top four two-way D-man on the left side. Maybe in 13-14 they thought Emelin was only going to improve on his 17 points in 59 games. Things don't look good in the system either with Juulsen and Sergachev being right handed, but at least Sergachev is an experienced left defenceman who could be played on that side. It still feels like... damn, Markov is 38 and still the best left side defenceman and best left handed defenceman in the organization by a mile. How could you screw this up?

(Then again, look at Montreal on the left side as a whole and it has been so ignored by Bergevin, it's no surprise. Still to this day the only credible top six/top four left handed skaters on the team are Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, and Markov. It has been this way since Bergevin got the team.)