Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on Dadonov, but i don't think he's the same player at 28 that he was at 22 either.  We've already seen the effect of maturity on one a Russian winger we signed last year. 

My issue is that it can't be a lot of money, cause almost all cap space this year needs to be prioritized to fixing the gaping hole at centre. 

Upgrades at wing are fine, but they aren't the biggest need.  At the deadline I said get a winger cause we needed more goals and it became clear that once Minnesota made the Hanzel deal we werent getting a centre. 

But the offseason needs to be about centre. 

Assuming Radulov is back and Galchenyuk is not on the wing, we have. 

Pacioretty - Radulov

Lehkonen - Gallagher
Byron - Shaw
Hudon

as wingers

With Scherbak in the system. 

Putting Chuck on the wing just adds even more

Adding Dadonov gives more than enough depth at the wing, its an extra luxury to have, but its not a priority that a lot of capital should be spent on. 

I would like MB to find a way to fix the "gaping hole at center" too. I just think sometimes there might be an issue with his approach to agents/players and possibly other GMs ... Seems I hear alot about how some got away. But he was doing Great when he got here, well I seem to remember moves that I was happy with. So did he loose his 'mojo'? I think the other GMs probably figured his tells on the phone, like in poker kinda.

I think he should seriously think about having a collections training if not sales at the least.  

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on Dadonov, but i don't think he's the same player at 28 that he was at 22 either.  We've already seen the effect of maturity on one a Russian winger we signed last year.

But the offseason needs to be about centre. 

Assuming Radulov is back and Galchenyuk is not on the wing, we have. 

Pacioretty - Radulov

Lehkonen - Gallagher
Byron - Shaw
Hudon

With Scherbak in the system.

Adding Dadonov gives more than enough depth at the wing, its an extra luxury to have, but its not a priority that a lot of capital should be spent on. 

I coudn't agree more. But, MB said. Chucky is a winger. So, yes. Unless they have plans to move Shaw to center full time. Winger is the teams obvious strength and unless a move is in the works. It makes ZERO sense.

Imo it comes down to moving Pacioretty or Galchenyuk for a center. Balance as MB once preached. Even then. Dadonov shouldn't be a priority. Nichushkin would be my only KHL winger exception. ;)

19 minutes ago, nihilz said:

Imo it comes down to moving Pacioretty or Galchenyuk for a center. Balance as MB once preached. Even then. Dadonov shouldn't be a priority. Nichushkin would be my only KHL winger exception. ;)

Interesting exception.  Nichushkin didn't play all that well in Dallas and didn't exactly light it up back in the KHL either; he's not really going to solve anyone's offensive woes.  (He also has one year left on his KHL contract.)

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Interesting exception.  Nichushkin didn't play all that well in Dallas and didn't exactly light it up back in the KHL either; he's not really going to solve anyone's offensive woes.  (He also has one year left on his KHL contract.)

You and your logic.:sarcasm_on:

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

22 yr old former top 10 pick that couldn't find a roster spot on a offensive heavy Dallas roster. Buy low!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nihilz said:

I coudn't agree more. But, MB said. Chucky is a winger. So, yes. Unless they have plans to move Shaw to center full time. Winger is the teams obvious strength and unless a move is in the works. It makes ZERO sense.

Problem is that in a true contender, Shaw is a third liner, with spot duty in the top 6, so moving him to centre doesn't improve our top centre situation.  I'd rather trade that bum MB than galchenyuk or maxpac.    I sure the hell don't want MB be the one deciding who to trade either them for.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, nihilz said:

22 yr old former top 10 pick that couldn't find a roster spot on a offensive heavy Dallas roster. Buy low!

Why does Dallas sell low though?  They have his rights for several more years and the coach that apparently drove him to go back to Russia is no longer in the fold.  The most likely outcome is that he'll return to Dallas for 2018-19 so they're not going to deal him on the cheap.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Why does Dallas sell low though?  They have his rights for several more years and the coach that apparently drove him to go back to Russia is no longer in the fold.  The most likely outcome is that he'll return to Dallas for 2018-19 so they're not going to deal him on the cheap.

Well. I assume is value is less now than if he'd be in the league. Either way. Need centers!

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Problem is that in a true contender, Shaw is a third liner, with spot duty in the top 6, so moving him to centre doesn't improve our top centre situation.  I'd rather trade that bum MB than galchenyuk or maxpac.    I sure the hell don't want MB be the one deciding who to trade either them for.

For sure. But if Dadanov is added they'll have too many top 9 wingers, thus implying Shaw having to move to center. And, yes, 3rd line. Even at that. Shaw's concussion problems this season have me doubting his longevity.

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Looks like you are out of luck then; but, Patrick Roy and Pierre McGuire are available, so you may have some hope yet.

34 minutes ago, nihilz said:

Well. I assume is value is less now than if he'd be in the league. Either way. Need centers!

I imagine his value would be down but that's just more reason for Dallas to wait this out.  They'll give him the one more year overseas and then likely bring him back.  After another year or so, then they may be at the point where they'd be willing to sell low if he's still not panning out.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Looks like you are out of luck then; but, Patrick Roy and Pierre McGuire are available, so you may have some hope yet.

You don't rate Julien BriseBois as a highly qualified possible candidate?

It's a good point about the Roy danger, though. That'd probably mark the final stage on the downward slide into permanent Leafdom.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's a good point about the Roy danger, though. That'd probably mark the final stage on the downward slide into permanent Leafdom.

The best possible candidate for GM of the Habs is Pat Brisson. He was once considering quitting as an agent. It's been a few years, he might be a bit more ready to move into becoming a general manager.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Yeah, those two are the entire pool of candidates the habs have to choose from.  Whatever.  Yo can put your head back in the sand and get your Harold Ballard Pom pins out.

There are also rumors that Stephane Quintal would like to transition for DOPS into NHL team management, like his old boss did. 

Marty Brodeur is woking his way up in management in St. Louis. 

44 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Roy wouldnt be worse than Bergevin would he? I didn't rate anything...simply noted two likely replacement options. I don't know GMs as well as you do, so any rating I give is not worth much.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Roy wouldnt be worse than Bergevin would he? I didn't rate anything...simply noted two likely replacement options. I don't know GMs as well as you do, so any rating I give is not worth much.

You do make a good point that guys like me, who feel Bergevin has proven unequal to the task, are assuming that Molson would choose a quality replacement. If the choice is Bergevin vs either McGuire or Roy, then that's a Hobson's Choice par excellence. Without claiming detailed expertise on all the possible options, BriseBois would be my pick. Either of those two egomaniacs could turn out to be even worse than Bergevin. (At least Roy has credentials, unlike Mouth McGuire).

Not that any of this matters much, since Molson seems to be standing pat.

I can't recall who the Habs interviewed besides Bergevin on the last go-round. BriseBois was in the mix, wasn't he? Did they interview McGuire?

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You do make a good point that guys like me, who feel Bergevin has proven unequal to the task, are assuming that Molson would choose a quality replacement. If the choice is Bergevin vs either McGuire or Roy, then that's a Hobson's Choice par excellence. Without claiming detailed expertise on all the possible options, BriseBois would be my pick. Either of those two egomaniacs could turn out to be even worse than Bergevin. (At least Roy has credentials, unlike Mouth McGuire).

Not that any of this matters much, since Molson seems to be standing pat.

I can't recall who the Habs interviewed besides Bergevin on the last go-round. BriseBois was in the mix, wasn't he? Did they interview McGuire?

I do believe they did, and he has been pissed off ever since.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I hope the Habs set a $8m max limit.  Otherwise they should explore trading him.  I just can't see us icing a true cup contender with more than that tied up in a goalie

A rumour of a different kind:

A possible concern here is that Ottawa and Montreal split the same region which is why TSN dropped Montreal's rights a few years ago.  Unless they really work with the league on the scheduling, there are going to be some overlap games which would bump one of the feeds (likely Montreal's considering Ottawa has the bigger rights deal) to random alternate feeds.