Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

18 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Sounds like Thornton might have some interest in coming to Montreal 

Sounds like an easy way to solve a problem in the top 6. I'd welcome Jumbo Joe with open arms 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, illWill said:

Sounds like an easy way to solve a problem in the top 6. I'd welcome Jumbo Joe with open arms 

OK, that would work short term but still just a band aid solution.  It might be good enough to put this team over the top during this 'window period' with the condition that we keep Chuck & Rad or at least get similar offense from replacements.  Joe's 7 goals aren't going to do it on it's own. He needs someone to pass the puck to, poor old bugger.

15 minutes ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

OK, that would work short term but still just a band aid solution.  It might be good enough to put this team over the top during this 'window period' with the condition that we keep Chuck & Rad or at least get similar offense from replacements.  Joe's 7 goals aren't going to do it on it's own. He needs someone to pass the puck to, poor old bugger.

MaxPac is not exactly garbage from a goal-scoring POV. Neither are Drouin or Galy. Once again, people devalue play-making as a huge offensive asset.

Given how thin this organization is - how lacking in 'surplus' assets that it can trade away in order to bring back grade-A pieces, without decimating the current roster or the future - we may not be in a position to choose between a temporary band-aid and a long-term solution. In other words, it may be better to add Jumbo Joe without losing other assets, than to sacrifice the kind of talent and picks/prospects we'd have to give up to get a Tavares (even assuming we have the assets that could attract the Isles). E.g., no doubt Drouin + Galy could get us Tavares. But it's not clear that's an upgrade, overall, for the team. Band-aids are better than nothing and also better than fire-bombing the organization in order to attain a coveted piece.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

E.g., no doubt Drouin + Galy could get us Tavares. But it's not clear that's an upgrade, overall, for the team. 

2013-2017, only nine centres have achieved .9 P/GP with at least 100 games played. 

- Sidney Crosby

- Connor McDavid

- Evgeni Malkin

- Ryan Getzlaf

- Nicklas Backstrom

- John Tavares

- Steven Stamkos

- Tyler Seguin

- Pavel Datsyuk

Datsyuk is done. Crosby, McDavid, and Malkin are untouchable. Stamkos just signed long term on a less than market value deal to stay in Tampa so he's pretty much untouchable too. 

That leaves Backstrom, Tavares, Getzlaf (likely untouchable but let's include him) and Seguin as the only guys you could probably achieve that level of points without having to draft it a la Matthews that you could theoretically trade for.

If Galchenyuk + Drouin got us Tavares, and Tavares agreed to sign long term? I'd probably do it. The sixth best point producing centre in the league for the past five years. For comparison, the sixth best point producing C in the 90s was Peter Forsberg. The sixth best point producing C in the 00s was Joe Sakic. Just some perspective.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

MaxPac is not exactly garbage from a goal-scoring POV. Neither are Drouin or Galy. Once again, people devalue play-making as a huge offensive asset.

Given how thin this organization is - how lacking in 'surplus' assets that it can trade away in order to bring back grade-A pieces, without decimating the current roster or the future - we may not be in a position to choose between a temporary band-aid and a long-term solution. In other words, it may be better to add Jumbo Joe without losing other assets, than to sacrifice the kind of talent and picks/prospects we'd have to give up to get a Tavares (even assuming we have the assets that could attract the Isles). E.g., no doubt Drouin + Galy could get us Tavares. But it's not clear that's an upgrade, overall, for the team. Band-aids are better than nothing and also better than fire-bombing the organization in order to attain a coveted piece.

That's pretty much what I was saying there Cuke :)  Joe is a great play maker and I'm not devaluing that, especially since we don't have one since Davy left (say what you will about him, you can't fault him for not having that ability).  What I'm saying is if we lose 2 of our best scorers, Chuck for a D and Radulov walks, we're going to be awful thin on offence again so having big Joe won't help much.  I agree a long term solution would be better but it's not feasible.  I'll take a serviceable play maker like Thornton to tide us over for now.

47 minutes ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

That's pretty much what I was saying there Cuke :)  Joe is a great play maker and I'm not devaluing that, especially since we don't have one since Davy left (say what you will about him, you can't fault him for not having that ability).  What I'm saying is if we lose 2 of our best scorers, Chuck for a D and Radulov walks, we're going to be awful thin on offence again so having big Joe won't help much.  I agree a long term solution would be better but it's not feasible.  I'll take a serviceable play maker like Thornton to tide us over for now.

Sorry, Habs owned, I guess I misread you! Joe is no saviour, but yeah, as a band-aid, why not?

Machine, let's try this. You're the Isles GM looking to trade Tavares. Who do you insist on getting back? Once we figure that out, then we can figure out whether the Habs are better overall as a result of the deal. I don't deny that Tavares is elite, that's for sure. Maybe losing Drouin and Galy still does make us better overall. But how about losing MaxPac plus those guys? The point is, there has to be a limit beyond which acquiring the elite C fails to make sense.

4 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Alzner is touring Montreal this week. 

He's a carbon-based life-form who shoots left, so he'd represent value added to the blueline, but gee...13 points last season? Not exactly going to propel our transition game, now is he?

I wouldn't Mind Alzner at all, he is a CJ type of dman. 

It doesn't sound like they will over pay for Markov, hard to say with a few "reports" on what's happening there. 

I would offer Radulov 6 yr 6 mill

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Sorry, Habs owned, I guess I misread you! Joe is no saviour, but yeah, as a band-aid, why not?

Machine, let's try this. You're the Isles GM looking to trade Tavares. Who do you insist on getting back? Once we figure that out, then we can figure out whether the Habs are better overall as a result of the deal. I don't deny that Tavares is elite, that's for sure. Maybe losing Drouin and Galy still does make us better overall. But how about losing MaxPac plus those guys? The point is, there has to be a limit beyond which acquiring the elite C fails to make sense.

I want to lose Pacioretty for a centre. I've been pushing that for a while. If the Islanders preferred to take say Patches + Galchenyuk (two Americans) I'd prefer it. But I'm of the belief that Tavares is going to stick on the Islanders.

I don't believe Montreal will ever trade or sign as a free agent a Top 15 centre. Their best chance right now is if Drouin becomes a centre and takes to it, or they keep Galchenyuk and play him October - June as a centre. Otherwise the next great centre will come through the draft, probably years from now.

18 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Yakupov a free agent - he'll sign in Montreal. (If we keep Galchenyuk)

He's been terrible, but I'd still give him a shot. 

Yakapov is the type of gamble we should be taking.  Should be cheap and there is some familiarity with galchenyuk.  Much better gamble than semin (was clearly washed up), and kassian were).  He is young and from all accounts is a pretty good kid who had the misfortune to start his career on sideshow Lowe and McTavish team.  

only question is whether Julien would give home a real shot to play regular in the top 6. If he is going to play on the 3rd line, there is no point in signing him.

13 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yakapov is the type of gamble we should be taking.  Should be cheap and there is some familiarity with galchenyuk.  Much better gamble than semin (was clearly washed up), and kassian were).  He is young and from all accounts is a pretty good kid who had the misfortune to start his career on sideshow Lowe and McTavish team.  

only question is whether Julien would give home a real shot to play regular in the top 6. If he is going to play on the 3rd line, there is no point in signing him.

Yes we need to take these kinds of gambles and given our GM has earned the nicknames "Mark down Mark "and "Bargain bin Bergevin" we hope that he will do it with a young forward who still has the glimmer of potential. Also, our Russian contingent might help him get on track 

Yakupov is horrible. His best year was something like 17 goals in the lockout year, which was five years ago. Francis Bouillon and Michael Ryder were regulars with the Habs when Yak was last effective. The fact of the matter is that he can't play on a top line because his play away from the puck is among the worst in the NHL. I saw him play down here with Edmonton, and he waits at the blue line for the puck like a degenerate at a bus stop. He's the biggest bust of the decade.

He took a gamble on Radulov, it paid off. Now he needs to resign him. 

Yakapov has had plenty of chances and can't even manage to stay in the lineup. 

Habs need centers, not wingers. 

44 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Makes zero sense?

Guest Stogey24
13 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Yak...Jumbo Joke. Alzner. Does anybody remember the days when this league had real free agents to look forward to?

This definetly a down year... 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Why would the Habs give him a chance in the top six?  He was bad in that role in Edmonton and couldn't come close to cracking the top six in St. Louis (let alone cracking the game day lineup on some occasions).  The only way he makes any sort of sense fit-wise is a third line offensive role.  Let's not overstate the chemistry with Galchenyuk here, they basically played together for one year (2010-11); their second season together was the one where Galchenyuk had the almost season-long knee injury.  That's not a whole lot of playing time together so the chemistry bit is overblown in my opinion.  He's worth a PTO in camp but not much more really.

2 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

He'll sign anywhere, because nobody wants him. 

But sure... throw him a training camp invite. 

A few things

1) I'd take Joe Thornton if the price is right.  2 years max though, I'm not interested in the 3 year deal he was looking for. 

2) I don't want Yakupov.  We have enough offence on the wings.  Need Centre. If we really want a reclamation project, I'd rather take a chance on Mikhail Grigorenko who was not qualified today by Colorado. 

3) Need both Markov and Alzner.  Alzner alone doesn't do it.