Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

45 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

I just don't think there's enough money.  Does $21M and change allow MB to sign Radulov, Galchenyuk, Markov and now Alzner?  Plus, they still need to address their biggest need - a centre who can score.

Plekanec needs to go. 

3 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Go where?

Away

That said, I have a feeling that one of Chucky/Drouin is their planned solution at C.  I still think its Drouin, so when we talk money I don't expect another C acquistion unless plek is gone. 

21 M

4 m - alzner

5m - Chuck

5m - markov

6m - radulov

that leaves 1 mill for call ups. 

If they trade Plekanec, maybe they grab a Bonino type. If not I think our Cs are already on the roster 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Away

So what team trades for him? What do the Habs give up to ensure it happens? Do they keep some cap back?

Even if he created the problems, I would give Bergevin full marks if he can move $10M of cap away this summer with little repercussion. 

He's already replaced half of the savings of Emelin with Schlemko. Ugh.

15 hours ago, DON said:

Why thanks you sir, but I wont look up your odd reference and just assume it is very flattering.

I try to work panglossian into a sentence at least once a week. 

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

giphy.gif

What's next - bringing back MT as an assistant?

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Neech said:

That's the feeling I get, although I always had reservations about our core not having enough top forwards.  If we never lost McDonagh that's another story; we would have been a defensive juggernaut like Nashville with a clearcut captain.  Markov on the second paring making any schlub look like $20M, Gorges our 3rd pair hero.  But as it played out, we were always at minimum a very good player (probably a C) away from being a true contender.

I'm leary that the Habs won't emerge from this free agency looking too good.  Is there a realistic scenario that actually has us looking like contenders? 

Lovett's point is a good one - it's the disappointment that gives such snark to the Bergevin-bashers, of which I'm one. Unlike Gainey, he inherited a strong core. He was gifted a foundation that many GMs have to actually build up from nothing. That was five years ago. And the team has basically spun its wheels over that span, with better and worse seasons, but never once truly entering the top tier of heavy-duty contenders (let alone actually coming close to winning anything). Meanwhile a development system that was once highly regarded has been completely gutted, meaning the future looks worse than the present. So, after Houle, Savard, Gainey, and Gauthier, we are looking at ANOTHER wasted generation of Habs - with the next generation likely to be even worse. Unless this team wins within the next three years or so, I doubt that it will win anything at all for the foreseeable future.

Ugh.

As for how the Habs can become contenders before this core rots out, well...

1. Add a top-4, preferably top-2 LD.

2. Keep Galy, play him at C and hope his 200-foot game improves.

3. Add a legit #2 or #1A C. #1A would be better since Galy is an ambiguous proposition at C.

4. Re-sign Radu and Price.

5. Hope everyone is healthy come playoff time.

I'm not even sure that this would do it, but the above is surely within the realm of the attainable. Of course, it's "tough," but then again everything is for our esteemed GM :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As for how the Habs can become contenders before this core rots out, well...

1. Add a top-4, preferably top-2 LD.

2. Keep Galy, play him at C and hope his 200-foot game improves.

3. Add a legit #2 or #1A C. #1A would be better since Galy is an ambiguous proposition at C.

4. Re-sign Radu and Price.

5. Hope everyone is healthy come playoff time.

I'm not even sure that this would do it, but the above is surely within the realm of the attainable. Of course, it's "tough," but then again everything is for our esteemed GM :rolleyes:

Keep Markov as well?  I don't know if we have the space, and I don't think a legit C will be available, unless we're overpaying for Hanzal or Bonino, who are barely top-6 material.  But you're right, even if everything goes right over the next week, it may not be enough.

19 hours ago, Commandant said:

Plus/minus in 2017.

OH BOY. 

I still think Plus/Minus is useful at the poles. Patrice Bergeron at +40, Dmitry Kulikov being forced to change his jersey to -2. But on a team like the Capitals with an 84 goal differential, Alzner's +23 shows what an unobjective stat this can be.

18 hours ago, Neech said:

I'm leary that the Habs won't emerge from this free agency looking too good.  Is there a realistic scenario that actually has us looking like contenders? 

Let's see how I can sharpen the pencil...

21 million

Markov doesn't resign, and is replaced by Girardi for 3.5 million a year/3 years. Still useful as a number 4 with Petry.

Galchenyuk/Gallagher dealt for Hanifin.

Bonino signed for 4.5 million per/4 years.

Radim Vrbata signed at 5 million for 2 years. 

Radulov gets Vanek's deal. 7/4 years.

Pacioretty-Drouin-Radulov

Lehkonen-Bonino-Vrbata

Byron-Danault-Shaw

Big Mac-Plekanec-Martinsen

Hanifin-Weber

Girardi-Petry

Jerabek-Benn

Price

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I'm expecting Bonino to be a Hab July 1.

Well you know how MB likes to massively overpay for complementary pieces from cup winners.

21 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I wouldn't take Girardi for $1m

I agree, Girardi is done.  Maybe sign him on a one year deal, but 3?  No way.

I do think Bonino is coming to MTL, he is an upgrade at center versus Plex, he's younger and has Cup winning ways thanks to his time in PIT.  I still say that one of Radulov/Galchenyuk won't be back.

2 hours ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I still think Plus/Minus is useful at the poles. Patrice Bergeron at +40, Dmitry Kulikov being forced to change his jersey to -2. But on a team like the Capitals with an 84 goal differential, Alzner's +23 shows what an unobjective stat this can be.

Wasn't Kulikov injured?

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well you know how MB likes to massively overpay for complementary pieces from cup winners.

Like who, Shaw and? He is massively overpaid is he.

57 minutes ago, DON said:

Like who, Shaw and? He is massively overpaid is he.

Yes, he is overpaid for a guy who on a good te is a 3rd liner making almost double what his production  warrants.  

He he also gave too much term and money to a washed up Briere (not a cup winner, but went to the finals).

• Upvote 1