ESP: 44

PPP: 15

14-15

ESP: 48

PPP: 7

13-14

ESP: 53

PPP: 17

He has been dropping in ESP every season, and hasn't been that great of a powerplay contributor either. So you're acquiring him thinking the past three years were just a fluke and he's still the P/PG guy he was in 13-14, or you recognize what he is today: a 2C that used to be a lot better.

Duchene is a 0.66 P/PG in the past three seasons. Galchenyuk is just behind him with a 0.65. He just isn't worth it.

I could go a lot more in depth about this but I'm going to simply predict that Duchene is going to have a solid year wherever he ends up and say you heard it here first. That said, my definition of solid year is 60+ points. He's a good player in my own opinion but people keep saying we would be acquiring Duchene expecting him to be a PPG player and while that would be fantastic, I don't think that should be the expectation of him. 

All I know is that people are high on Drouin and yet the expectation of him is 60+ points. Duchene is 2 years removed from a 59 point season and he can do it again. I agree that their asking price is to high though and it probably means they don't want to actually trade him. Their ask should be similar to what Tampa Bay got form Drouin at best. Not Sergachev + Anything... Let alone Galchenyuk. 

30 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I could go a lot more in depth about this but I'm going to simply predict that Duchene is going to have a solid year wherever he ends up and say you heard it here first. That said, my definition of solid year is 60+ points. He's a good player in my own opinion but people keep saying we would be acquiring Duchene expecting him to be a PPG player and while that would be fantastic, I don't think that should be the expectation of him. 

All I know is that people are high on Drouin and yet the expectation of him is 60+ points. Duchene is 2 years removed from a 59 point season and he can do it again. I agree that their asking price is to high though and it probably means they don't want to actually trade him. Their ask should be similar to what Tampa Bay got form Drouin at best. Not Sergachev + Anything... Let alone Galchenyuk. 

Agreed, the asking price is insane. I don't want to go anywhere near him where it is now. 

I agree he can return to 60+ though.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Duchene is grossly overrated.

16-17

Even Strength Points: 31

Powerplay Points: 9

15-16

ESP: 44

PPP: 15

14-15

ESP: 48

PPP: 7

13-14

ESP: 53

PPP: 17

He has been dropping in ESP every season, and hasn't been that great of a powerplay contributor either. So you're acquiring him thinking the past three years were just a fluke and he's still the P/PG guy he was in 13-14, or you recognize what he is today: a 2C that used to be a lot better.

Duchene is a 0.66 P/PG in the past three seasons. Galchenyuk is just behind him with a 0.65. He just isn't worth it.

Duchene for Galchenyuk straight up seems relatively fair.

Especially if drooling for a centre with offense and Duchene is one of best faceoff men in NHL. Not saying he is a elite #1 centre but no question more experienced at centre than Galchenyuk.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I could go a lot more in depth about this but I'm going to simply predict that Duchene is going to have a solid year wherever he ends up and say you heard it here first. That said, my definition of solid year is 60+ points.

Could I see him going back to being a 60 point centre? Sure. But there's a chance he doesn't, and simply started his career hot and has cooled down since.

10 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Could I see him going back to being a 60 point centre? Sure. But there's a chance he doesn't, and simply started his career hot and has cooled down since.

Dude can really fly up and down the ice though and other positives that make him seem a perfect fit with Habs as weaker #1 or solid #2 centre.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Link67 said:

Shea Theodore, That is the tire we need to be kicking 

Why is an expansion team giving up a 22 year old defenceman?

He doesn't seem to be available. 

Sure Vegas is willing to trade older players, but they are trading older players for youth.  

They aren't going to move a kid who is ready to play in the top 4 right now, it makes no sense. 

10 hours ago, DON said:

Duchene for Galchenyuk straight up seems relatively fair.

Especially if drooling for a centre with offense and Duchene is one of best faceoff men in NHL. Not saying he is a elite #1 centre but no question more experienced at centre than Galchenyuk.

He wins faceoffs, but he keeps getting shunted to the wing by his coaches.... Colorado, Team Canada, Even the World Championship team (where he was a 4th line winger).  His defensive game as a centre is just awful. 

Don't want to be a jerk on my first post on these boards, but why would we trade a Galchenyuk for Duchene when Duchene is an optimistic 60+ pts guy who can win draws but can't play defensive center, for Galchenyuk who is an optimistic 70+ pts guy who can't win draws and can't play defensive center... especially if we have to add to that deal?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kev1586 said:

Don't want to be a jerk on my first post on these boards, but why would we trade a Galchenyuk for Duchene when Duchene is an optimistic 60+ pts guy who can win draws but can't play defensive center, for Galchenyuk who is an optimistic 70+ pts guy who can't win draws and can't play defensive center... especially if we have to add to that deal?

This trade won't happen and I'm not saying I would make it but your analysis of the players are your own. If that trade were to take place, I'm sure it would be because our inner circle would view Duchene as a center and not Galchenyuk.

At the same time in their respective careers, Duchene had a higher point total than Galchenyuk. If one is already worried that Duchene is so much older than Galchenyuk, then be prepared for Galchenyuk 3 years down the road because it won't be pretty in his "old age."

Reasons the trade migh be considered:

1) Duchene viewed as a center by our team while Galchenyuk is not. The supposed 5-10 optimistic point difference doesn't mean as much because we are acquiring a position of need. In my opinion Galchenyuk can play center as well, but who knows if that is realistic.

2) Change of scenery for both players

2 hours ago, kev1586 said:

If have to add anything more, then of course I wouldn't be interested. But straight up...maybe could see trading 2012 3rd pick for 2009 3rd pick, don't think will happen and am good with that. Would much rather see someone else be used in trade and Gallagher seems much more expendable.

On 7/19/2017 at 9:09 AM, Commandant said:

Why is an expansion team giving up a 22 year old defenceman?

He doesn't seem to be available. 

Sure Vegas is willing to trade older players, but they are trading older players for youth.  

They aren't going to move a kid who is ready to play in the top 4 right now, it makes no sense. 

Honestly, i'd be much more interested in a trade for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins right now than Duchene, and Edmonton will soon be needing to shed salary to fit McDavid and Draisatl in, do they really have cap space for a 6 million dollar guy who gets pushed to the 3rd line because the other two centers are of the franchise center material? This is very much turning into Crosby, Malkin, Staal in pittsburgh it only made cap sense for so long, and then it had to dealt with.

blood in the water in my book, and Hopkins to me fits the bill currently better than Duchene

33 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Honestly, i'd be much more interested in a trade for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins right now than Duchene, and Edmonton will soon be needing to shed salary to fit McDavid and Draisatl in, do they really have cap space for a 6 million dollar guy who gets pushed to the 3rd line because the other two centers are of the franchise center material? This is very much turning into Crosby, Malkin, Staal in pittsburgh it only made cap sense for so long, and then it had to dealt with.

blood in the water in my book, and Hopkins to me fits the bill currently better than Duchene

Looking at their cap, he has to go next summer, at the absolute latest. 

For the right price he has to be available now, but they aren't giving him away I'm sure. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

For the right price he has to be available now, but they aren't giving him away I'm sure. 

Might be a pretty intelligent reason why Bergevin is sitting on his 9M. That and the pipe dream that is Tavares, but if RNH can be a plan B, the summer of 2018 could be a very positive one in Montreal :)

8 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

This trade won't happen and I'm not saying I would make it but your analysis of the players are your own. If that trade were to take place, I'm sure it would be because our inner circle would view Duchene as a center and not Galchenyuk.

At the same time in their respective careers, Duchene had a higher point total than Galchenyuk. If one is already worried that Duchene is so much older than Galchenyuk, then be prepared for Galchenyuk 3 years down the road because it won't be pretty in his "old age."

Reasons the trade migh be considered:

1) Duchene viewed as a center by our team while Galchenyuk is not. The supposed 5-10 optimistic point difference doesn't mean as much because we are acquiring a position of need. In my opinion Galchenyuk can play center as well, but who knows if that is realistic.

2) Change of scenery for both players

This is pretty logical. The detail that gets me with this rumour time and again though is the Montreal having to add to get this done. As was mentioned by Don: Straight up, for the reasons you mention, ok. Personally don't love it, but I get it. If we have to add... PASS! 

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

No doubt, a solid package including Gallagher and probably 2nd or even 1st would be required to even get the wheels turning, they get a top 6 winger at nearly half the salary plus some extra pieces. But no one expects to get a player like Hopkins for a couple fringe NHLers, we are going to have to give something up, and at this time we have reached the place where I think this is so necessary, that we have to be willing to give guys like Gallagher to get it done.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

I'd give up Gallagher and a 2nd.  We have too many wingers as it is. 

Me too. RNH is overpaid, but he could be the solidifying #2C this team needs. Then one of Galy or Drouin can be the main offensive pivot, while RNH can add secondary attack and good two-way play. Danault goes to the third line where he belongs. Meanwhile, EDM gets an agitator who is just what the doctor ordered for a team with Cup aspirations, and a draft pick that Whack-a-Mole will only squander anyway. Good trade all around.

Does because we all agree its a good trade make it an unfair trade lol? or is it just one of those perfect dance partner moments where the trade is good from both perspectives. Would love to hear from Edmonton fans chime in on that proposal.

I don't love the trade myself but I'll keep myself out of it.

I think the reason most Habs fans seem to be fine with the thought of the proposal is because, even if subconsciously, there's the question of whether or not Gallagher is permanently damaged goods in the back of their minds.

Sure, we have an excess amount of wingers but Gallagher was developing into a 60 point winger before his first injury. 40 points in 53 games two years ago will tell you that.

Nugent Hopkins has never reached 60, although I would take him on my team.

The question does become whether or not Gallagher can ever be 100% healthy again. If we know something Edmonton doesn't, ship him out.

If he can have a healthy career, there's no doubt people are forgetting what he can be, in my mind. 

1 hour ago, Link67 said:

Does because we all agree its a good trade make it an unfair trade lol? or is it just one of those perfect dance partner moments where the trade is good from both perspectives. Would love to hear from Edmonton fans chime in on that proposal.

Oilers fans tend to say they don't see RNH  moved unless a defenceman comes back in return. 

54 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I don't love the trade myself but I'll keep myself out of it.

I think the reason most Habs fans seem to be fine with the thought of the proposal is because, even if subconsciously, there's the question of whether or not Gallagher is permanently damaged goods in the back of their minds.

Sure, we have an excess amount of wingers but Gallagher was developing into a 60 point winger before his first injury. 40 points in 53 games two years ago will tell you that.

Nugent Hopkins has never reached 60, although I would take him on my team.

The question does become whether or not Gallagher can ever be 100% healthy again. If we know something Edmonton doesn't, ship him out.

If he can have a healthy career, there's no doubt people are forgetting what he can be, in my mind. 

I'm fully aware of what he can be, I don't see Gallagher as damaged goods at all, he is a scrappy, solid top 6 winger with the ability to hit around 25 goals every season. the point is we need a top 6 center at this point more than a top 6 winger, it is not because I don't value Gallagher that I propose him for the trade, it is because I know RNH a valuable player and it will take a valuable player to go get him.

Feels like a lateral move to me. 

The only reason I ever considered moving Galchenyuk was because of the uncertainty surrounding his position, not because of his skill set. With Gallagher, we know where he belongs and what he brings.

I guess Nugent-Hopkins is more defensively responsible than Galchenyuk but I've never been overly concerned about Galchenyuk's defensive capabilities, personally.

The reason I compare Nugent-Hopkins to Galchenyuk is because they're somewhat similar and we already have one for free. It's another move where we acquire a player to fill a roster spot of need all the while losing something of equal or better value.

Our top 6 could be 

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Byron-Danault-Drouin

or

Pacioretty-Drouin-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Hemsky

or trade for RNH

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Drouin

Lehkonen-Nugent-Hopkins-Hemsky

It might look a little better which I guess is the point, but there goes our depth at right wing. I wouldn't have thought Hemsky should be top 6 either way but trading Gallagher might force the issue.

I'd be fine with getting Nugent-Hopkins and am all over the get a center idea but I don't think I'd be ecstatic about the trade. It's close to a wash for me and I think there might be better ways to get a center in the future, whether it's trading a pick at the deadline or some other route.