Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

6 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Who said Hudon is going to put up more points than Jagr? 

I wasn't even going to touch this, because it's completely irrelevant, but Jagr put up 46 pts and Hudon put up 49pts, so I don't know what your talking about. 

Anyways...The top 6 winger situation is fine and basically set. Money needs to spent on a top 6 centre. Maybe that deal doesn't happen today, but I can promise you that having cap space will make things a hell of a lot easier, if something does arise. 

The goal is to basically have young players on cheap deals filling the less prominent voids, so you have room to land big names when players become available. That's basically the way a well run team has success in the cap era. 

I agree pretty much entirely, the top Center position is a must, a necessity that must be addressed and has gone far too long unaddressed. We have the cap space and wingers we are willing to spare for the right Center, not to mention the 4 picks in the first 2 rounds of the 2018 draft. 

1 hour ago, Link67 said:

I agree pretty much entirely, the top Center position is a must, a necessity that must be addressed and has gone far too long unaddressed. We have the cap space and wingers we are willing to spare for the right Center, not to mention the 4 picks in the first 2 rounds of the 2018 draft. 

3 picks.

One of those picks is tied up in the Drouin trade.  If Sergachev doesn't play 40 games, we owe Tampa a second. 

16 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Who said Hudon is going to put up more points than Jagr? 

I wasn't even going to touch this, because it's completely irrelevant, but Jagr put up 46 pts and Hudon put up 49pts, so I don't know what your talking about. 

Anyways...The top 6 winger situation is fine and basically set. Money needs to spent on a top 6 centre. Maybe that deal doesn't happen today, but I can promise you that having cap space will make things a hell of a lot easier, if something does arise. 

The goal is to basically have young players on cheap deals filling the less prominent voids, so you have room to land big names when players become available. That's basically the way a well run team has success in the cap era. 

You're definitely not wrong in theory but the debate really stems from how one feels about our off season. Our cap space will definitely come in handy when we need it in the future but we'll use hindsight to say we could have already addressed some needs with the cape space this past off season. I didn't particularly love our off season even though I acknowledge some players like Hudon and Jerabek could have a decent impact at a low cost.

I'm willing to ride it out but it's going to be easy to forget the reality that we had some options this summer when some fans are crying about our needs as the season wears on.

Also while center is our need, acquiring a big strong winger might once again enable us to use both Galchenyuk and Drouin in the top 6 at center.

I don't think Jagr is happening but once again 

Pacioretty-Drouin-Jagr

Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

or

Pacioretty-Drouin-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Jagr

would be fine by me

I see Hudon penciling in on the left side while Jagr would be on the right, so I don't see him taking a job from Hudon, but rather moving Shaw to 4th line centre and pushing Mitchell to the pressbox, or moving Shaw to 4th line LW.  I think he still brings something to our bottom pairings that noone else can.  I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, and I can feel sour if MB doesn't offer him a deal and you can feel sour if he does.  

Guest Stogey24

I still hold on to the fact that Radulov should have been paid. I know it's a lot of money,  but this team's winger situation is one of the best in the league with Radulov still here 

18 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I still hold on to the fact that Radulov should have been paid. I know it's a lot of money,  but this team's winger situation is one of the best in the league with Radulov still here 

I think you are in the minority on that one. $7m+ for 18g scorer?

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

Well he's pass first player. I have no doubt Radulov hits atleast  65pts next season 

I think he is gonna mail it in now that he has his pile of gold and wont last till end of contract, but who knows you could be correct.

3 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Couldn't agree more.  

1 hour ago, DON said:

I think he is gonna mail it in now that he has his pile of gold and wont last till end of contract, but who knows you could be correct.

Radulov has performed in each year of his career Montreal/khl/ Nashville... he comes to play even when he's getting paid!

While I agree Radulov will probably give his all throughout his contract, the guy just loves playing hockey and competing. I still can't get behind giving him that much money and term. I figure he is good for another couple seasons for sure but by year 3-5 I think it will start to look a lot like the Plek contract.

This is a guy that plays physical and with an edge. Hell you could even see it at points last year the guy is slowing down.

I still think it's better to try and fill the hole we need to fill with that money. Will that hole be filled still remains to be seen.

I think I have to agree with the we should have signed Radulov mentality despite the cost. The reason being that it's not like we once again saved the cap space for something else specific and we would have been able to unload cap space in the future if we needed it for something else.

I was also one of the people who were over the top disappointed when we didn't resign Radulov though so I'm on the biased side of the fence.

With that being said, it doesn't seem like Radulov or his agent were overly cordial throughout the process and maybe it just wouldn't have been possible to sign him unless we truly did have to overpay him perhaps even more than Dallas did. I see it as a possibility and in that case, there's really no blame to be placed. 

What I do think is that Jagr could be the poor man's version of Radulov just like we signed Streit when we knew Markov wouldn't be back. I don't think Streit is Markov's replacement and Jagr probably wouldn't replace Radulov fully at this point but Jagr's strength on the puck is similar to Radulov and I don't really view Drouin as Radulov's replacement. At this point he is younger and probably has a higher ceiling than Radulov. But we did gain him and then lose Radulov. I agree had we kept Radulov, our offense could have been very dangerous and up there competitive with the rest of the league.

Radulov in public "I love Montreal, love the fans..", behind closed door to agent "Get us the most $ you can...somewhere with low taxs, lots of sun and no f'in snow!"

And those who think all Habs needed to do was offer up more $$, how sure are you that would even do it?

"Either Alexander Radulov is trying to be extremely cagey in his contract negotiations, or he has no intention of returning to the Montreal Canadiens come the start of the 2017-2018 National Hockey League season. "

20 hours ago, Commandant said:

3 picks.

One of those picks is tied up in the Drouin trade.  If Sergachev doesn't play 40 games, we owe Tampa a second. 

Right, forgot about that, I am not entirely sure he will play 40 games for them either, kind of a 50/50 on that one. Hopefully he does and we have more assets at our disposal.

13 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

You're definitely not wrong in theory but the debate really stems from how one feels about our off season. Our cap space will definitely come in handy when we need it in the future but we'll use hindsight to say we could have already addressed some needs with the cape space this past off season. I didn't particularly love our off season even though I acknowledge some players like Hudon and Jerabek could have a decent impact at a low cost.

I'm willing to ride it out but it's going to be easy to forget the reality that we had some options this summer when some fans are crying about our needs as the season wears on.

Also while center is our need, acquiring a big strong winger might once again enable us to use both Galchenyuk and Drouin in the top 6 at center.

I don't think Jagr is happening but once again 

Pacioretty-Drouin-Jagr

Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

or

Pacioretty-Drouin-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Jagr

would be fine by me

See in this scenario, if we did go with a Drouin - Galchenyuk 1 - 2 punch down the middle, it would have been of paramount importance to keep Radulov,. The fact it was not treated as something that was dire, suggests to me, that Drouin was the replacement plan at RW if Radulov could not come in at the price they wanted. They went to the negotiating table with that in mind, that they didn't HAVE to re-sign him at all costs because they see Drouin as a Winger. If it was the case where they saw him as a potential top line center and also see Galchenyuk as a #2 Center, then they would have treated the Radulov negotiation as if they need him no matter what, and fork over the money to get it done, we didn't see that level of desperation in their negotiation at all.

then you would have a core top 6 all sticking together for more than one season that looks like

Pacioretty - Drouin - Radulov

Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

That plan needed to be agreed to, and followed, prior to July 1st by Management, if that is the look you are going for, and it is a pretty damn good look I have to admit, it needed to be a plan before July 1st. There are many different plans they could have moved forward with during this offseason, this would have been one I could get behind, but that ship has sailed, and it really looks like they never had a plan to go with Drouin and Galchenyuk as the top 6 centers from the get go.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Radulov in public "I love Montreal, love the fans..", behind closed door to agent "Get us the most $ you can...somewhere with low taxs, lots of sun and no f'in snow!"

And those who think all Habs needed to do was offer up more $$, how sure are you that would even do it?

"Either Alexander Radulov is trying to be extremely cagey in his contract negotiations, or he has no intention of returning to the Montreal Canadiens come the start of the 2017-2018 National Hockey League season. "

What does any of this have to do with mailing it in? The guy loves hockey. You see it in his game, his attitude, his face. Absolutley zero reason to think he's not a force next year!

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

What does any of this have to do with mailing it in? The guy loves hockey. You see it in his game, his attitude, his face. Absolutley zero reason to think he's not a force next year!

Whos said anything about mailing it in, in the post you quoted? Safer to say that the guy loves money, hockey is simply means to end. He is a Jedi now is he?:B)

Also past his prime years, like Malkin & Crosby who put up several 100+point seasons in their 20s and now is at 31/30, injuries has taken toll and still ppg players but not 100pt+ guys anymore.

And Radulov put up 18g 54pts as 30 yr old...so that is likely what to expect, not a game breaking or even all-star calibre player.

Dallas overpaid and will regret contract is my guess.

34 minutes ago, DON said:

Whos said anything about mailing it in, in the post you quoted? Safer to say that the guy loves money, hockey is simply means to end. He is a Jedi now is he?:B)

Also past his prime years, like Malkin & Crosby who put up several 100+point seasons in their 20s and now is at 31/30, injuries has taken toll and still ppg players but not 100pt+ guys anymore.

And Radulov put up 18g 54pts as 30 yr old...so that is likely what to expect, not a game breaking or even all-star calibre player.

Dallas overpaid and will regret contract is my guess.

9 hours ago, DON said:

I think that is the post he was referring to, and for the record Radulov might be a lot of things, Passionate, Skilled, Confident, Energetic, and maybe even a tad Greedy, but he is not the type to take a night or a shift off, what makes you think he would take a whole season off just because he got paid.

You can make a case he is not the most loyal and a bit greedy, but to suggest he will suddenly get Lazy and take a seat in the recliner for the next 5 years because he has his money is a stretch. He is going to give Dallas everything he's got, will it be enough to be worth the money in a few years? we shall see.

16 minutes ago, Link67 said:

I think that is the post he was referring to( yes I know), and for the record Radulov might be a lot of things, Passionate, Skilled, Confident, Energetic, and maybe even a tad Greedy, but he is not the type to take a night or a shift off (of course he did, he had some crap games), what makes you think he would take a whole season off just because he got paid (that is bit tongue/cheek and I also did say Stogey could be correct).

You can make a case he is not the most loyal and a bit greedy, but to suggest he will suddenly get Lazy and take a seat in the recliner for the next 5 years because he has his money is a stretch. He is going to give Dallas everything he's got (for the next 5 years is big question?), will it be enough to be worth the money in a few years? we shall see (agree).