Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I agree with others who have yet to speak that I won't miss Streit if that's the end of the road. I was his biggest defender but his foot speed is as low as it gets. The only area he could help would have been the power play. 0/14 right now but I hope it can get going soon. The power play or lackthereof has probably been our biggest hinderence so far. I feel as though we need it to be strong this year to win some more games.

8 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Elliotte Friedman speculates that with the Habs needing a scoring centerman, Bergevin might have to look into signing Athanasiou.

Considering he's not really a centre, Athanasiou won't really help too much down the middle.

39 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Considering he's not really a centre, Athanasiou won't really help too much down the middle.

So in other words, he's MB's idea of a perfect "solution" to the C problem :rolleyes:

As for shopping Streit around the league:

Image result for hysterical laughter

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I'm not sure there's any sort of market for him but Sportsnet's Eric Engels is reporting that the Habs are actively shopping Mark Streit around the league: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/source-canadiens-trying-trade-defenceman-mark-streit/

I bet he gets the Alex Semin buyout and is in Switzerland before December 1st. 

There is no need for him. 

Jerabek is better. 

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I bet he gets the Alex Semin buyout and is in Switzerland before December 1st. 

There is no need for him. 

Jerabek is better. 

Davidson looks better now and Schlemko supposedly also be upgrade on Strait, so he was useless signing #22 for Bergy (Hemsky will be #23). The pro scouting by the Habs seems a bit off on who is washed up and who isn't.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DON said:

Davidson looks better now and Schlemko supposedly also be upgrade on Strait, so he was useless signing #22 for Bergy (Hemsky will be #23). The pro scouting by the Habs seems a bit off on who is washed up and who isn't.

Every team has signings that don't work out, especially when we are talking guys at the bottom of the roster making less than a million bucks. 

The pro scouting in the organization has actually been the brightest spot under Bergevin with gems like Weise, Byron, Danault, etc... being unearthed for little.  When you take chances on cheap players you are gonna get busts as well as those gems. 

The management team has bigger issues than that. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

Can we trade Hemsky, Strait, Gelinas, Morrow for Andrighetto? Sakic could toss in Duchene and wouldn't hurt my feelings any neither.

If Ghetto turns out to be bona-fide, then that's another strike against this walking farce of a management team. Honestly though, the issue would be less getting rid of him (do the Habs *really* need another small, decently skilled one-dimensional FW who probably would be a borderline top-6 player on a strong team?) than getting rid of him with his value close to zero. If he's not part of the long-term plan, then build up his value before moving him. It's a little thing called "asset management." We seem bound and determined to make the same mistake with Galchenyuk.

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

Really thought Hemsky would be better 

He still has speed and the skill is there.  He's got no chemistry with teammates yet.  I wouldn't give up on him. 

Streit is garbage though. 

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If Ghetto turns out to be bona-fide, then that's another strike against this walking farce of a management team. Honestly though, the issue would be less getting rid of him (do the Habs *really* need another small, decently skilled one-dimensional FW who probably would be a borderline top-6 player on a strong team?) than getting rid of him with his value close to zero. If he's not part of the long-term plan, then build up his value before moving him. It's a little thing called "asset management."

He's a winger.  He can't play centre.  We have an abundance of wingers.  I'm not convinced that he wouldn't have been lost to waivers if part of this year's roster. 

I always liked Ghetto more than most. The problem is that he's a left winger and we have a bunch of players on that side. Pacioretty is set in that role on any team and then we have Hudon, Byron and Lehkonen who can play left wing. If he was a natural right winger, I could see him being a capable top 6 winger for us. 

Again though, it's true that we have a lot of wingers as even a skill based player like Hemsky is on the 4th line at right wing.

Ghetto is easily replaceable by Hudon but in my opinion Andrighetto was a better finisher.

As for the asset management, I agree that that's where the move actually became a mistake. One can argue Colorado sucks, but Andrighetto is on their top line and Martinsen is no longer with us. This is only one year later. 

6 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I always liked Ghetto more than most. The problem is that he's a left winger and we have a bunch of players on that side. Pacioretty is set in that role on any team and then we have Hudon, Byron and Lehkonen who can play left wing. If he was a natural right winger, I could see him being a capable top 6 winger for us. 

Again though, it's true that we have a lot of wingers as even a skill based player like Hemsky is on the 4th line at right wing.

Ghetto is easily replaceable by Hudon but in my opinion Andrighetto was a better finisher.

As for the asset management, I agree that that's where the move actually became a mistake. One can argue Colorado sucks, but Andrighetto is on their top line and Martinsen is no longer with us. This is only one year later. 

He is just doing too well.

11 hours ago, Chris said:

MB should be interested in any 1st or 2nd line center. considering the Habs don't have either. 

They have 4 3rd and 4th line centers and winger playing #1 center. 

It's a bit early for a verdict on Drouin, but I suspect you are correct.

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's a bit early for a verdict on Drouin, but I suspect you are correct.

Yes it is early to make that call.  I see nothing that would make me believe Drouin isn't a top 2 centre.

It's 60. 

The habs don't have either. 

He has some points this year, is he an upgrade to the current roster yes. 

He is a soft perimeter player, doesn't play much defense. 

14 minutes ago, DON said:

62 top two centres in league, is Duchene the only one up for grabs (likely available)?

Some have suggested that Kyle Turris might have been in trade talks last month as he wants a long-term extension, something the Senators aren't willing to give him yet.  It's hard to imagine Ottawa dealing him in the division though.