Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, REV-G, like Torontohab I'm a (pretty liberal) Roman Catholic with some awareness of theological and scriptural issues. I also do some scholarly writing (not at all on religious matters) which attunes one a little bit to linguistic/etymological questions, such as the origins of turns of phrase. And finally, I like Americana music, which means that Johnny Cash's 'Belshazzar' is not unknown to me. ;) Didn't mean to cause a kerfuffle! Cool that you're a Pastor, though - I didn't realize your Habsworld handle could be taken literally!

Thanks for the reply CC. Always interesting to hear a little about people's backgrounds and interests. I'm not surprised to hear you are a writer. You can pick up a few clues here and there in your posts. 

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

Freidman talked about the Habs heavily scouting Europe. 

Who is worth scouting?

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/11/05/montreal-canadiens-free-agent-options-europe/

Good article.  If I'm not mistaken the pick the Islanders used on Sundstrom was originally Montreal's pick.  The Wisniewski deal perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎31 at 10:32 AM, REV-G said:

Thanks for the reply CC. Always interesting to hear a little about people's backgrounds and interests. I'm not surprised to hear you are a writer. You can pick up a few clues here and there in your posts. 

And as we all know beyond any shadow of a doubt, God is the biggest (metaphysical univocity alert!) Habs fan! By a bit of a coincidence, today I came across a brief article about  a priest who helped to found Montreal.  I thought about my ancestor who was a marine of the French king and who came to save Montreal from being wiped out by the Iroquois after Montreal was founded as a religious mission to the new world. Neat stuff. My ancestor.. Nicholas de Boheur probably knew some of the folks I read about who knew Francis de Sales..  Way cool. I'm also wondering if the nuns had a good hockey team with a winning habit and whether they continue to inspire from that great arena in the sky.. :rolleyes:

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎31 at 10:32 AM, REV-G said:

Wasn't there a suggestion afoot to put MB out to pastor? :wacko:

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎30 at 10:30 PM, Commandant said:

I'm impressed when people actually know the source of commonly quoted phrases like this.... 

One of my favorite etymological voyages was on the good ship "flabberghasted". I've had my flabber gasted many a time. 

Aghast me hearties! 

• Upvote 1

The Hockey News reports that Jason Spezza's name has surfaced in trade rumors lately in their rumor roundup column.  Could be another trade option for the Habs if it's true.  He's got a big cap hit, and hasn't had the greatest season.

17 minutes ago, John B said:

The Hockey News reports that Jason Spezza's name has surfaced in trade rumors lately in their rumor roundup column.  Could be another trade option for the Habs if it's true.  He's got a big cap hit, and hasn't had the greatest season.

When Spezza was in Ottawa, his NTC was every other Canadian team.  He still has a NTC where he submits his teams every year. 

My stream crapped out partway through the segment so this isn't a complete report, but Nick Kypreos is reporting that there has been a 'meeting of the minds' between ownership and Bergevin on the direction the Habs are going, with the words "retool, reset, rebuild" being thrown around.

Elliotte responded that while he's not privy to specifics of Bergevin's trade talks, Marc hasn't been looking for futures in his current discussions, so this would be a drastic shift in organization philosophy. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

My stream crapped out partway through the segment so this isn't a complete report, but Nick Kypreos is reporting that there has been a 'meeting of the minds' between ownership and Bergevin on the direction the Habs are going, with the words "retool, reset, rebuild" being thrown around.

Elliotte responded that while he's not privy to specifics of Bergevin's trade talks, Marc hasn't been looking for futures in his current discussions, so this would be a drastic shift in organization philosophy. 

Yeah, I noted this in the game thread. Predictably, they zeroed in on Patches as the most likely to be moved, and weren't wrong in noting that a far inferior player - Matt Duchene - commanded a damned nice return.

I'm OK with a dismantling because this core is clearly not going to win a frigging thing. What I'm not OK with is empowering the dribbling dumb-ass who mismanaged us into this position in charge of the re-tool/re-boot/re-build or whatever the hell the dummies running this sinking ship want to call it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, illWill said:

Bergevin is reportedly very active and is "looking to shake up the team"

http://www.tsn.ca/report-bergevin-the-nhl-s-most-active-gm-1.920310

"Shake up" no doubt means acquiring some 6'4 pylon on the blueline. LEADERSHIP

11 minutes ago, huzer said:

That's also from Garrioch. Reporting that the Habs "may be looking to shake things up" is akin to saying the sky is blue.

The only shake up I want to see involves the bum in the GM's office.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bob McKenzie reports that the Habs have neither opened or closed the door on Victor Mete playing in the world juniors, but that Hockey Canada is interested.

I personally don't see how Mete slots in the lineup now that Jerabek is up, so loaning him to Team Canada makes a lot of sense - if not sending him to juniors straight away.

On 2017-11-20 at 11:22 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The only shake up I want to see involves the bum in the GM's office.

I've lived in Ottawa since 2000, and I do not remember any of Garrioch's predictions concerning the Canadiens ever materializing. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Bob McKenzie reports that the Habs have neither opened or closed the door on Victor Mete playing in the world juniors, but that Hockey Canada is interested.

I personally don't see how Mete slots in the lineup now that Jerabek is up, so loaning him to Team Canada makes a lot of sense - if not sending him to juniors straight away.

Send him to London now and bring him back in May for some playoff experience.

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I've lived in Ottawa since 2000, and I do not remember any of Garrioch's predictions concerning the Canadiens ever materializing. 

He had the Michael Ryder-Eric Cole trade. 

But that is really the only one. 

I only remember it cause i was so shocked that Garrioch got one. 

16 minutes ago, DON said:

Davidson being shopped.

Here's the source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-looking-trade-defenceman-brandon-davidson/

This doesn't come as much of a surprise with Morrow seemingly passing him on the depth chart.  If the Habs want to reserve the right to recall Mete after the WJCs, they have to hold him on the roster until at least December 11th and they can't realistically carry nine d-men (when Weber returns).

1 hour ago, DON said:

Davidson being shopped.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Here's the source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-looking-trade-defenceman-brandon-davidson/

This doesn't come as much of a surprise with Morrow seemingly passing him on the depth chart.  If the Habs want to reserve the right to recall Mete after the WJCs, they have to hold him on the roster until at least December 11th and they can't realistically carry nine d-men (when Weber returns).

I wonder if the Habs will have to retain some salary on Davidson, but then again they didn't have to with Mitchell so ...

8 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I wonder if the Habs will have to retain some salary on Davidson, but then again they didn't have to with Mitchell so ...

If they have to retain something to get a late-round draft pick, I'd suggest they'd be better off just putting him on waivers (and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the outcome in the next day or two).  They may want those retention slots open until the deadline, especially with a lot of top teams nearly being capped out.