Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

If they have to retain something to get a late-round draft pick, I'd suggest they'd be better off just putting him on waivers (and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the outcome in the next day or two).  They may want those retention slots open until the deadline, especially with a lot of top teams nearly being capped out.

What 3 players would the Habs need to retain salary on this year? Pleks for sure, but after that...?

Does retained salary end July 1st or at the end of the regular season?

43 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

What 3 players would the Habs need to retain salary on this year? Pleks for sure, but after that...?

Does retained salary end July 1st or at the end of the regular season?

A lot depends on how capped out teams are.  Could someone like Morrow draw interest from the Washingtons of the world at 50% retained?  They probably won't have enough cap room to add even a minimum-salaried player but if someone retains on one, there may be a move to be made.  If they want to move Shaw, he's a candidate for retention.  If they make a really bold move with Pacioretty, his value would go up a fair bit if they were willing to retain and eat the cost next year as well. 

Retained salary comes off the books on July 1st so the three-retained limit is in effect until then.  Realistically, a team may want to keep at least one spot open for the offseason.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I heard on the Flyers-Bruins broadcast today that he's playing through hip troubles.

If that's true, and Philly is serious about trading him, then they might as well shut him down now to heal up. He'll be worth more with working hips. 

4 minutes ago, Neech said:

Too bad Simmons isn't a C.  

Basically, if we use serious assets to acquire a good player, it better be a C.

I wholeheartedly agree, but you know that Simmonds is a Bergevin kinda guy... except maybe with more skill than Marc is used to. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Neech said:

Too bad Simmons isn't a C.  

Basically, if we use serious assets to acquire a good player, it better be a C.

Agree 100%..  I'm a fan of Simmonds, but this team doesn't really need the help at Wing.  They need a top 6 C, and a top 4 LHD. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

"I think that Tavares would like to play for the Montreal Canadiens.” - TSN Insider Darren Dreger

I wouldn't classify this under the "rumour" thread, but this type of speculation certainly brings hope to a franchise in dire need of a Tavares-like player. I wonder why he thinks that. 

It doesn't matter what fan base you are from, you'd have to admit that a trio of Price, Weber and Tavares on the same team would be lethal. 

35 minutes ago, illWill said:

I wouldn't classify this under the "rumour" thread, but this type of speculation certainly brings hope to a franchise in dire need of a Tavares-like player. I wonder why he thinks that. 

It doesn't matter what fan base you are from, you'd have to admit that a trio of Price, Weber and Tavares on the same team would be lethal. 

Yeah its not a rumor, and Dreger says his gut is that he re-signs in New York. 

He also said that if he leaves, Montreal has the money for him, and the need, and the willingness to spend it. He also thinks Tavares is the type of personality that would welcome the pressure of Montreal, where others would shy away. 

Again he stressed this isn't insider info from Tavares, Pat Brisson, or anyone else and just his speculation knowing Tavares. 

That all said, i didn't know what thread it belongs in, if not the rumor thread. 

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

Yeah its not a rumor, and Dreger says his gut is that he re-signs in New York. 

He also said that if he leaves, Montreal has the money for him, and the need, and the willingness to spend it. He also thinks Tavares is the type of personality that would welcome the pressure of Montreal, where others would shy away. 

Again he stressed this isn't insider info from Tavares, Pat Brisson, or anyone else and just his speculation knowing Tavares. 

That all said, i didn't know what thread it belongs in, if not the rumor thread. 

Thanks for clarifying all that! I dream of the the day the Habs might acquire a guy Like Tavares, but let's not kid ourselves. The chances of Tavares coming here are slim. 

3 hours ago, Habsfan said:

Thanks for clarifying all that! I dream of the the day the Habs might acquire a guy Like Tavares, but let's not kid ourselves. The chances of Tavares coming here are slim. 

The chances of winning a cup are even further removed. I'll hope for a Tavares Christmas in Montreal next year :)

• 2 weeks later...

According to Kypreos pacioretty is now being actively shopped. Rumour is MB is looking for a younger goal scorer. Seems to be a bit of a “change of scenery” kind of trade, while at the same time MB realizing we aren’t doing it this year.

Hoffman is another name on the block, although a swap of two scoring wingers in the same division isn’t something you see too often. 

Thoughts on Hoffman -> Pacioretty ?

Who else could be a target ?

27 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

According to Kypreos pacioretty is now being actively shopped. Rumour is MB is looking for a younger goal scorer. Seems to be a bit of a “change of scenery” kind of trade, while at the same time MB realizing we aren’t doing it this year.

Hoffman is another name on the block, although a swap of two scoring wingers in the same division isn’t something you see too often. 

Never heard much about Hoffman? From stats looks lopsided for Sens.

33 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

How in the name of God can Patches be traded for a guy who is NOT a clear cut top-6 C? Like, in what insane parallel universe is that even possible? (The same one where Trump is President, I suppose).

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

How in the name of God can Patches be traded for a guy who is NOT a clear cut top-6 C? Like, in what insane parallel universe is that even possible? (The same one where Trump is President, I suppose).

Bergevin is trying to save his job.

Also I don't think there's a clear cut top six C to trade Pacioretty for out there. Your best bet is a young C with top six potential. 

There's three teams in the West who need a scoring boost: San Jose, Anaheim, and Calgary. The best SJ could do is their 1st rounder last draft in Josh Norris. Anaheim just paid a premium for Henrique so they won't give him up. Would they give up Sam Steel? I got doubts. Calgary is a great fit with Jankowski but they got Tkachuk and Gaudreau on the left side already. 

Look to the east and everyone is scoring goals. Columbus and Boston are the lowest in GF for playoff bound teams and with Columbus it's injuries and Boston... we won't go there. Your next best bets are New York, Long Island, Carolina, and Pittsburgh. Rangers make sense with Kreider out with a blood clot and Nash likely to leave in the summer. They've also had problems at centre so getting say Chytil off their hands would be tough. Islanders... you ain't getting Barzal. Maybe try Bellows or Ho-Sang instead? Carolina has Lindholm. That's who you target in Carolina, nobody else really. Pittsburgh... can't think of anybody that's got top six potential.

So there isn't much choice there. Unless you instead offer up Shea Weber to get a centre and use Pacioretty to get a defenceman. That changes the game...

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Bergevin is trying to save his job.

Also I don't think there's a clear cut top six C to trade Pacioretty for out there. Your best bet is a young C with top six potential. 

There's three teams in the West who need a scoring boost: San Jose, Anaheim, and Calgary. The best SJ could do is their 1st rounder last draft in Josh Norris. Anaheim just paid a premium for Henrique so they won't give him up. Would they give up Sam Steel? I got doubts. Calgary is a great fit with Jankowski but they got Tkachuk and Gaudreau on the left side already. 

Look to the east and everyone is scoring goals. Columbus and Boston are the lowest in GF for playoff bound teams and with Columbus it's injuries and Boston... we won't go there. Your next best bets are New York, Long Island, Carolina, and Pittsburgh. Rangers make sense with Kreider out with a blood clot and Nash likely to leave in the summer. They've also had problems at centre so getting say Chytil off their hands would be tough. Islanders... you ain't getting Barzal. Maybe try Bellows or Ho-Sang instead? Carolina has Lindholm. That's who you target in Carolina, nobody else really. Pittsburgh... can't think of anybody that's got top six potential.

So there isn't much choice there. Unless you instead offer up Shea Weber to get a centre and use Pacioretty to get a defenceman. That changes the game...

I think the most logical trading partner is the oilers - if we offer both Weber and MaxPac.  My concern with MB making the deal is that instead of a Draisaitl coming back, we would be getting a package that includes Lucic.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

But man. If he doesn't do this, are you going to angrily  post next year about how he didn't do it? 

You do know the posts will be same and really will not matter what does/doesn't happen.

19 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think the most logical trading partner is the oilers - if we offer both Weber and MaxPac.  My concern with MB making the deal is that instead of a Draisaitl coming back, we would be getting a package that includes Lucic.

Much more likely than Dreisaitl is some package involving RNH. And yes, I would not be shocked if it included Lucic, seeing as MB coveted him in the summer. (Don't know if Lucic has a no trade, though; he's said publicly that he considered MB's offer but just could not imagine himself in the :habslogo:)

I think Nuge would help this team, sort of a Pleks replacement. But I certainly wouldn't trade Patches for him straight up!!

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

Wont matter if the team is succesful or not... some posters will always see the glass as 1/4 empty instead of 3/4 full

In your HO, how full or empty is the glass today? Are we ready to break it down and reload ? Or are we going to get a couple bodies to top up what we got? Where does Bergevin fit in all of this?

Seems to me these questions have to be answered before we suggest what we need in return..

58 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Don't know if Lucic has a no trade, though; he's said publicly that he considered MB's offer but just could not imagine himself in the :habslogo:)

He has a full no-move clause for the duration of the contract and then gets a limited NTC starting in 2021-22 so I suspect he can be dealt right now (the NMC covers waivers, not a trade).