Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Not that it matters a whole lot but our dear friend Eklund has an E3 on St.Louis trying to get their hands on Pacioretty, and that MB is looking for a young Dman from them.

I'd assume Parayko is the one out of the bunch based on Age, Ability, and Size that would garner the most interest on our part, however he is a RD, which doesn't help us find Weber a Partner. But as the old saying goes, you gotta take the best player available and create a plan after the fact, in this case, we could either place Petry on his opposite side to play with Weber and put Parayko on the 2nd pair. Or see how well Parayko does on his opposite side and make a decision on the matter after.

Not that I put much stock in Eklund's reports, just speculating on what a Deal could materialize into if they are indeed trying to dance. In my estimation it would be Parayko + Prospects and Picks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He has a full no-move clause for the duration of the contract and then gets a limited NTC starting in 2021-22 so I suspect he can be dealt right now (the NMC covers waivers, not a trade).

Thanks. That's good news, since it should rule out some asinine move to acquire him by MB.

30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Thanks. That's good news, since it should rule out some asinine move to acquire him by MB.

How so?  Without any trade protection (since the NMC is just for waivers), there's nothing preventing Lucic from being in a deal to Montreal.

22 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Not if the moves are successful 

See Commandant's post below, is what I meant.

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

Wont matter if the team is succesful or not... some posters will always see the glass as 1/4 empty instead of 3/4 full

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

How so?  Without any trade protection (since the NMC is just for waivers), there's nothing preventing Lucic from being in a deal to Montreal.

FFS, just ignore me...obviously I'm still recovering from new years. Sorry.

4 hours ago, DON said:

See Commandant's post below, is what I meant.

While others will always be delusional in thinking we are one or two players away from being a cup contender.

i had said at the start of the season this was a team that would be much worse than last year and would probably scrape in - which they probably would have done if Price didn’t look like red light Racicot in October. But this team as constructed was a bubble wild card team at best, regardless of how Price played.

I find it hilarious that those delusional posters who were arguing that the D and offence would be better than last year and had as competing for the division, are criticizing those of us who knew this was just not a good team for being negative.  Especially when that is exactly how this season has played out.

Almost every move mgmt has made has been a mistake in the MB regime.

-handling if Galchenyuk- a mistake 

- trading Subban - a mistake

- replacing MT with a MT clone - a mistake

- trading Sergechev- their best D prospect since McDonough and Subban - a mistake

- signing a slow footed useless Alzner - mistake

- not resigning Markov and radulov long before they hit free agency a mistake - if we were in win now mode - which is how MB was operating- the first offer to radulov should have been too good for him to turn down

- letting a Markov go - a travesty that is a huge black mark on a GM that should be tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

While others will always be delusional in thinking we are one or two players away from being a cup contender.

i had said at the start of the season this was a team that would be much worse than last year and would probably scrape in - which they probably would have done if Price didn’t look like red light Racicot in October. But this team as constructed was a bubble wild card team at best, regardless of how Price played.

I find it hilarious that those delusional posters who were arguing that the D and offence would be better than last year and had as competing for the division, are criticizing those of us who knew this was just not a good team for being negative.  Especially when that is exactly how this season has played out.

Almost every move mgmt has made has been a mistake in the MB regime.

-handling if Galchenyuk- a mistake 

- trading Subban - a mistake

- replacing MT with a MT clone - a mistake

- trading Sergechev- their best D prospect since McDonough and Subban - a mistake

- signing a slow footed useless Alzner - mistake

- not resigning Markov and radulov long before they hit free agency a mistake - if we were in win now mode - which is how MB was operating- the first offer to radulov should have been too good for him to turn down

- letting a Markov go - a travesty that is a huge black mark on a GM that should be tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail

Excellent post and I agree 100%

I thought that CJ would actually be an upgrade on MT but how wrong I was! When he started Galchenyuk on the 4th line in the playoffs I knew CJ was out to lunch. Starting him this season on the 4th line and his refusal to play him at centre is ludicrous.

We need a gutting of management and coaches and we need to start over.

23 hours ago, BlueKross said:

In your HO, how full or empty is the glass today? Are we ready to break it down and reload ? Or are we going to get a couple bodies to top up what we got? Where does Bergevin fit in all of this?

Seems to me these questions have to be answered before we suggest what we need in return..

There are a number of forwards on this team 25 and under.   Still needs help at centre

The defence needs help.  Mete is a good start, and Josh Brook looks fantastic but is really young.  Wait and see what we have in Fleury, Walford, etc...
The goaltending will be fine. 

This team needs an addition at C and on Defence, but I don't think it needs a full scale tear down. 

All I am hoping is that MB is fired before he makes another trade. Mr Gainey, are you busy for the next few months or would you mind stepping in until we can find a permanent replacement? 

• Upvote 1

Fire MB

hire Gainey as replacement this season out.

I like that.

then trade all upcoming UFAs and throw the vault at Tavares.

keep maxpac because I am sure if he is paired with Tavares he will be a scoringmachine.

Dreaming is allowed isnt it?

Much more likely than dragging poor Bob back into the big chair as a short-term fill-in would be simply promoting someone from within on a temporary basis, e.g., Carriere or Dudley or Timmins.

It seems to me of these three guys Dudley would have to be considered a realistic candidate for the permanent position, actually. I don't like/trust Carriere because he's too much a charter member of the Bergevin posse and has minimal experience outside the Habs. Timmins I'd rate more highly because of the length of his experience; he's seen so many GMs come and go that he probably has developed quite mature ideas on how to do things, if he is even interested. Dudley, though, has multi-organizational experience (albeit all with bad organizations). Heck, you could see how Dudley does as interim GM and use that as info for the permanent search.

There's something I'm trying to get a handle on concerning Dudley.

I always thought he was a top evaluator of talent and I've heard some hockey people say that same thing about Bergevin.

So, realistically, how do explain the mess we find ourselves in right now.

I'm saying this because of the thought of perhaps using Dudley as a temporary or permanent fill in/ replacement for MB. 

My guess is that Dudley is in the inner circle and, again a guess, that he and Bergevin must spend a lot of time evaluating their team and potential players they would like to get. 

So how do end up with Mark Street, Ales Hemskey, Carl Alzner, Joe Morrow and players like Charles Hudon and Lehkonen playing at times, on the first line? Why do we have so many players playing out of their position? Why have we seemed to have digressed in our talent over the past few years? 

I honestly can't figure out or understand how long term hockey men, supposed experts, like Bergevin and Dudley could get us to this place. 

• Upvote 1

From Friedman's 31 Thoughts:

The Pacioretty family bought a house in Montreal last year, with the goal of staying a Canadien for the remainder of his contract. That’s in doubt now, and I think he understands that his tenure is coming to end. The big question is if it happens at the trade deadline or the draft. GM Marc Bergevin is well aware he’d be selling low at this time, and getting Pacioretty with better centres and/or right-hand shots is going to benefit him big time. One thing that does happen when a name like his goes public? You get calls, then find out who’s nibbling and who’s serious. We’ll see if anyone causes Bergevin to jump, because I think he’s comfortable waiting.

I honestly can't figure out or understand how long term hockey men, supposed experts, like Bergevin and Dudley could get us to this place.

That's a really good question! 

How is it that whenever we draft decent players, more often then not they have a hard time developing in our system or we either end up trading them(when they actually turn out to be good)??

19 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

(when they actually turn out to be good)??

How this ever became a thing is beyond me. 99% of underachieving picks end up just that with other organizations.

On MB being patient: that's both a good and a bad sign. It's a good sign, because any trade of Patches absolutely has to be a strong one, bringing back a cornerstone piece. There is not enough talent in this organization that we can survive squandering that major asset. So, wait until the right deal comes together. But it's also a bad sign, because it suggests that MB is not feeling a whole lot of pressure to keep his job.

As for Dudley, the real question is to what extent MB's assistants have to wear the failures of his regime. Only insiders would know the extent to which they have enthusiastically endorsed all of MB's  mistakes. Think of assistant coaches. It's not clear that, if you're assistant to a crappy coach, that means you yourself will be a crappy head coach. Presumably the same applies to a GM.

2 hours ago, DON said:

How this ever became a thing is beyond me. 99% of underachieving picks end up just that with other organizations.

If you don't develop a kid between 18 and 22, the most important development years, you are unlikely to develop later, even in another organization. 

Wasted years can not be recovered. 

42 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

So maybe this is the new and best way to develop our young players. Allow them to learn with the World Juniors and Olympic programs, avoid time in the AHL with SL, and then have them return to us much better prepared and developed and ready to jump in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Sounds good to me; the experience of playing at the olympics will be better for Mete than toiling in Laval with the bumbling coaching staff there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, REV-G said:

So maybe this is the new and best way to develop our young players. Allow them to learn with the World Juniors and Olympic programs, avoid time in the AHL with SL, and then have them return to us much better prepared and developed and ready to jump in. 

SL never would have gotten a 19 year old drafted out of the OHL in any event. 

Sounds good to me; the experience of playing at the olympics will be better for Mete than toiling in Laval with the bumbling coaching staff there.

He isn't eligible for Laval even if the Habs wanted to send him there. 

23 hours ago, Commandant said:

He isn't eligible for Laval even if the Habs wanted to send him there. 

So it's either junior, or a combination of the pressbox and tutelage under the brilliant mind of JJ Daignault at practice?  Same conclusion....junior/Olympics is the better path.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Even if mete wasn't going to Canada, there's no reason for him to come back to Montreal for 9min a night

Julien would rather Alzner's 90 turn overs a night(4th in the league), than playing a young, risk taking kid with talent

You'd think that with him gone for nearly a month, they'd have had time to make their decision.  The only real holdup I could see now is Sean Burke saying that Canada hasn't decided whether they want Mete for the Olympic team.

• Upvote 1