Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

On 1/6/2018 at 0:48 PM, Stogey24 said:

Even if mete wasn't going to Canada, there's no reason for him to come back to Montreal for 9min a night

Julien would rather Alzner's 90 turn overs a night(4th in the league), than playing a young, risk taking kid with talent

As I showed last year, San jose and Montreal scorekeepers love their turnovers... being a league leader means nothing when the team is credited with 3x as many turnovers at home than on the road. 

Not saying that Alzner is having a good season, just saying its stupid to cite a stat that is so obviously biased by what team you play for. 

Guest Stogey24
19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

As I showed last year, San jose and Montreal scorekeepers love their turnovers... being a league leader means nothing when the team is credited with 3x as many turnovers at home than on the road. 

Not saying that Alzner is having a good season, just saying its stupid to cite a stat that is so obviously biased by what team you play for. 

I've watched him constantly turn the puck over

Does it make you feel better if I say he's leading the Habs in turn overs. Even playing field 

On 1/1/2018 at 0:10 PM, Link67 said:

Not that it matters a whole lot but our dear friend Eklund has an E3 on St.Louis trying to get their hands on Pacioretty, and that MB is looking for a young Dman from them.

I'd assume Parayko is the one out of the bunch based on Age, Ability, and Size that would garner the most interest on our part, however he is a RD, which doesn't help us find Weber a Partner. But as the old saying goes, you gotta take the best player available and create a plan after the fact, in this case, we could either place Petry on his opposite side to play with Weber and put Parayko on the 2nd pair. Or see how well Parayko does on his opposite side and make a decision on the matter after.

Not that I put much stock in Eklund's reports, just speculating on what a Deal could materialize into if they are indeed trying to dance. In my estimation it would be Parayko + Prospects and Picks.

Doubt St. Louis is giving up Parayko who is currently their second best defencemen. 

I think if this rumour has any truth to it, look at Vince Dunn or Jake Walman, blue chip prospects who are close to the NHL but not established yet. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Doubt St. Louis is giving up Parayko who is currently their second best defencemen. 

I think if this rumour has any truth to it, look at Vince Dunn or Jake Walman, blue chip prospects who are close to the NHL but not established yet. 

I agreed with this argument when it was used with karlsson, Subban,  Keith, doughty. Those guys handle the puck a lot and create. Alzner not so much. A stay at home guy being the top of his team in giveaways is probably not a good thing. If it was petry I would accept it a little more. 

25 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I agreed with this argument when it was used with karlsson, Subban,  Keith, doughty. Those guys handle the puck a lot and create. Alzner not so much. A stay at home guy being the top of his team in giveaways is probably not a good thing. If it was petry I would accept it a little more. 

I think you quoted the wrong post, as I was talking about Parayko and St. Louis in the one you quoted. 

That said, I'm not saying Alzner is playing well. He clearly hasn't

I'm saying fourth in the league is not accurate.  You can't have league wide rankings when a giveaway in one building is not the same as in other buildings. 

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think you quoted the wrong post, as I was talking about Parayko and St. Louis in the one you quoted. 

That said, I'm not saying Alzner is playing well. He clearly hasn't

I'm saying fourth in the league is not accurate.  You can't have league wide rankings when a giveaway in one building is not the same as in other buildings. 

Whoops my bad. There is a huge difference year over year in stats like turnovers and hits. I agree.

I suspect he is trying to do too much because Weber is hurt and they don't have a #2 defenseman. He's an adequate #4 who is playing too much. 

On no team should petry and alzner be your 1 and 2.

Bit from Friedman/Dreger bit;

“So when names like Max Pacioretty – either through media speculation or otherwise – hit the market, then Nashville would be foolish not to consider it if there’s an opening there.”

A day earlier Dreger indicated he didn’t think the Canadiens were close to trading Pacioretty at that time.

Dreger also suggested this in that same Monday radio hit:

“And frankly, I think that Max Pacioretty – and these are my words, not his – I think he’s ready for it. Players get to a point in their careers where they just need a change of scenery. Not going to ask for it, especially a guy who wears the captaincy for one of the most storied franchises in the history of the game, but I think it would do him good to get out of Montreal.”

In terms of other potential destinations for Pacioretty, Friedman last week volunteered the Pittsburgh Penguins, San Jose Sharks, and St. Louis Blues as clubs that would have interest in Pacioretty, Evander Kane, and Mike Hoffman. Friedman also said he wouldn’t be surprised if the L.A. Kings made a call on Pacioretty.

Specifically on the Penguins, Friedman has recently mentioned he thinks “there’s a deal to be made there” between the two teams in terms of Kris Letang and Pacioretty as part of the swap. A lot has certainly been made latel about the Penguins’ appetite for change.

Dreger has passed along that he’s been told Bergevin would be seeking “multiple pieces” in a Pacioretty trade, and had another note that he’s been told the GM is “asking for a ton” in that potential transaction

Guest Stogey24
6 hours ago, DON said:

Bit from Friedman/Dreger bit;

“So when names like Max Pacioretty – either through media speculation or otherwise – hit the market, then Nashville would be foolish not to consider it if there’s an opening there.”

A day earlier Dreger indicated he didn’t think the Canadiens were close to trading Pacioretty at that time.

Dreger also suggested this in that same Monday radio hit:

“And frankly, I think that Max Pacioretty – and these are my words, not his – I think he’s ready for it. Players get to a point in their careers where they just need a change of scenery. Not going to ask for it, especially a guy who wears the captaincy for one of the most storied franchises in the history of the game, but I think it would do him good to get out of Montreal.”

In terms of other potential destinations for Pacioretty, Friedman last week volunteered the Pittsburgh Penguins, San Jose Sharks, and St. Louis Blues as clubs that would have interest in Pacioretty, Evander Kane, and Mike Hoffman. Friedman also said he wouldn’t be surprised if the L.A. Kings made a call on Pacioretty.

Specifically on the Penguins, Friedman has recently mentioned he thinks “there’s a deal to be made there” between the two teams in terms of Kris Letang and Pacioretty as part of the swap. A lot has certainly been made latel about the Penguins’ appetite for change.

Dreger has passed along that he’s been told Bergevin would be seeking “multiple pieces” in a Pacioretty trade, and had another note that he’s been told the GM is “asking for a ton of Character" in that potential transaction

Missed a little bit at the end there. Fixed it for ya 

Didn't see all of the segment, but Nick Kypreos is reporting Montreal is interested in Pierre-Luc Dubois, and Friedman (I think) chimed in that the Blue Jackets did have interest in Galchenyuk, but he doesn't necessarily see a fit between the two teams. 

10 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Didn't see all of the segment, but Nick Kypreos is reporting Montreal is interested in Pierre-Luc Dubois, and Friedman (I think) chimed in that the Blue Jackets did have interest in Galchenyuk, but he doesn't necessarily see a fit between the two teams. 

Why wouldn't there be a fit? Isn't Dubois a C? Then the Habs should make it happen, it seems to me. We're in sell-off mode, or oughtta be.

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎11 at 2:42 PM, Stogey24 said:

Missed a little bit at the end there. Fixed it for ya 

Bergevin's "Character" may end up being equal to Burke's "Truculence" 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Why wouldn't there be a fit? Isn't Dubois a C? Then the Habs should make it happen, it seems to me. We're in sell-off mode, or oughtta be.

The blue Jackets biggest need is C

Dubois has something like 20 points in his last 24 games, centring their top line. 

Are the Habs interested in him? sure. 

Does Columbus have any reason to move him? No.

Typical kypreos silliness.... the guy is a tool.  Friedman saying "the two teams are not a fit" is essentially Friedmann saying "this rumor is ####ing stupid and I don't know why we are discussing it" without calling out his colleague on the broadcast. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

Bergevin's "Character" may end up being equal to Burke's "Truculence" 

It’s funny because many of the same people who make fun of Bergevin and his “character” mission also want Pacioretty traded. Part of it is because of the value he brings back, but it’s mostly because he lacks these “character” traits that these people want to see in him. Simply put. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It’s funny because many of the same people who make fun of Bergevin and his “character” mission also want Pacioretty traded. Part of it is because of the value he brings back, but it’s mostly because he lacks these “character” traits that these people want to see in him. Simply put. 

Not me. I want him traded because doing so represents wise asset-management on a club that is years from contending. I see little reason other than

1. sentiment and

2. delusion that the team can contend within Pacioretty's window

for keeping him.

It’s easy to say that the team won’t compete for a cup within the next 5 years, but the same will really be said in retrospect for at least ~25 teams by the end of those 5 years. I think with Price, Weber, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Drouin + some other additions, the Habs can contend for a cup within Pacioretty’s window. 

The conflict on issues are the team we realistically have on the ice, versus the management team in place to help improve our squad. Our squad may not be perfect on paper right now, but if it’s the latter reason that lead people to believe we won’t be able to win, then I can’t put myself in their shoes. As much as I had a bad feeling about this season based on the off season, I’m not going to throw in the towel on our future. Bergevin may get fired for all we know... or our squad may improve due to our available cap space. After last season, we were one or two pieces away. This season we may be two or three pieces away, but we have cap space and a trade deadline that’s a year away to once again put us over the top.

I don’t agree we can’t be contenders in the near future. Tampa and Winnipeg didn’t make the playoffs one year ago and look wher e they stand now. I don’t believe either team will win the cup, but they can certainly contend. 

I’ve seen no reason that any of the names suggested in return for Pacioretty would give us any more of a shot at a cup. I like each of them, and prefer Tavares over Pacioretty, but it’s not like Nugent Hopkins or Tavares have won anything more than Price or Pacioretty at the NHL level, regardless of age. 

• Like 1

Kypreos is an idiot.

Has he forgotten that John Tortorella is the coach in Columbus?!  Given how ineffective Max was for Team USA, and how Tortorella called him out for it...showing his frustration with Max on the regular.  There's no way that could work out.

Also, considering his nickname is Casperetty amongst those who don’t like him, it really is these “character” traits that these people are looking for. The level of hate for him are all in part due to high expectations of him, which demonstrate that everyone knows what he is capable of. The skill level is there, it’s rather the “commitment”, “effort level”, “enthusiasm” that are lacking in their eyes. Those are descriptions of character in a sense and so that’s mostly what’s been missing. Sure, he only has 10 goals so far, but he will end with 25+ this year in an off season, while more fancy players who produce no more than him like Galchenyuk and Drouin get criticized less just because they look better to the eye test. I can tell you with actual certainty that Pacioretty gives a more consistent effort level than those two on a regular basis, they just have different styles of play and it appears that way to the eye test.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't believe Patches has a 5-year window. So that may be the disagreement between myself and xXx. I have no doubt that with good management the Habs could contend in five years. (They don't have good management and therefore probably will not, but that's another story). What I question is whether Patches will still be any good by that point.

I had the same argument with people about Pleks when I started raising concerns about his age three years ago. People pointed to his numbers, but those extended slumps were a sign of imminent decline. Players get old, usually (not always) in their early 30s. Hell, Brent Seabrook is a healthy scratch at age 32. Pleks started his decline at 33. Sometimes, especially with stud players, it happens later; but sometimes it happens earlier too (Gomez). The Habs have had the best decade of Patches' career and done exactly jack sh*t with it. Time to flip the asset and let him decline elsewhere and on someone else's dime.

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

Kypreos is an idiot.

Has he forgotten that John Tortorella is the coach in Columbus?!  Given how ineffective Max was for Team USA, and how Tortorella called him out for it...showing his frustration with Max on the regular.  There's no way that could work out.

He didn't say anything about Pacioretty going to Columbus.

The last time I talked to people who knew hockey insider stuff (I've cut ties with most of them at this point) they said that Montreal was certain Columbus wasn't drafting Dubois so Bergevin didn't try too hard to get the third overall pick and instead focused on getting fourth overall or fifth overall to draft Dubois (some scouts even said Dubois could drop out of the top five due to the defencemen available). They were certain Puljujarvi was going to Columbus. Everyone was. What I was told changed was that Kekelainen watched way more of Puljujarvi than Dubois because everyone said Jesse was top three and he wasn't convinced. A tournament in Traverse City where Dubois dominated at centre was what told him to go with Dubois and the Blue Jackets held steadfast on it. Why didn't they trade down? Because everyone was convinced they were going to take Puljujarvi and Edmonton, feeling like they lost out on him, were gonna take Sergachev at #4 or trade their pick to Montreal (in a package that might have included Subban) to move down. Instead the Blue Jackets went with Dubois, Edmonton went with Puljujarvi, and Montreal went with Drouin... I mean Sergachev.

Could the Habs have swung a deal with Columbus to get that third overall pick? Maybe, especially if Subban was in play, but according to the guys I knew, they didn't talk much if at all. They focused on the picks after third overall. Grain of salt of course.

On 2018-01-14 at 0:30 PM, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It’s easy to say that the team won’t compete for a cup within the next 5 years, but the same will really be said in retrospect for at least ~25 teams by the end of those 5 years. I think with Price, Weber, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Drouin + some other additions, the Habs can contend for a cup within Pacioretty’s window. 

The conflict on issues are the team we realistically have on the ice, versus the management team in place to help improve our squad. Our squad may not be perfect on paper right now, but if it’s the latter reason that lead people to believe we won’t be able to win, then I can’t put myself in their shoes. As much as I had a bad feeling about this season based on the off season, I’m not going to throw in the towel on our future. Bergevin may get fired for all we know... or our squad may improve due to our available cap space. After last season, we were one or two pieces away. This season we may be two or three pieces away, but we have cap space and a trade deadline that’s a year away to once again put us over the top.

I don’t agree we can’t be contenders in the near future. Tampa and Winnipeg didn’t make the playoffs one year ago and look wher e they stand now. I don’t believe either team will win the cup, but they can certainly contend. 

I’ve seen no reason that any of the names suggested in return for Pacioretty would give us any more of a shot at a cup. I like each of them, and prefer Tavares over Pacioretty, but it’s not like Nugent Hopkins or Tavares have won anything more than Price or Pacioretty at the NHL level, regardless of age. 

I agree with you xXx..Ck..xXx on Pacioretty.

It hurt to lose PK on hopes  of contending for the cup in the short term; I do not want the CH to make the same mistake and trade any other part of the core in hopes of a miracle

• Upvote 1

According to Mike Bossy..... (and regardless if MB made Pat Brisson happy by punishing Markov for not being is client) John Tavares is never coming to Mtl.

So Lets go July first 2018 for a minute... and lets assume a PLAN A ( i.e. Top UFA Centreman)  is not happening what should Plan B be... and can we trust MB has a plan B AND C?  before he's kicked to the curve?