Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I don't think Tavares is leaving the Islanders either.  The fact is that most players in his situation have eventually re-signed with their club with the only big exceptions being Brad Richards in Dallas, and Ilya Kovalchuk forcing Atlanta to trade him. Maybe Hossa too. 

But really the prime guys don't move. 

That said, Mike bossy was a great player, but when did he become a go-to guy for rumors and info. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CoRvInA said:

According to Mike Bossy..... (and regardless if MB made Pat Brisson happy by punishing Markov for not being is client) John Tavares is never coming to Mtl.

So Lets go July first 2018 for a minute... and lets assume a PLAN A ( i.e. Top UFA Centreman)  is not happening what should Plan B be... and can we trust MB has a plan B AND C?  before he's kicked to the curve?

Rumours aside, signing Tavares would change the whole profile of this team IMHO.

With Tavares, this team has a core of JT-Price-Weber-Patches: arguably pretty close to contender status IF we can also somehow acquire a legit #2 puck-moving defenceman.

Without Tavares, this team needs to focus on its crop of young-ish FWs and look to build around them so as to contend in 3-4 years. That means rebooting via a Pacioretty trade and possibly other significant moves.

So I would wait until the Tavares file is settled before deciding on Pacioretty and guys like Shaw, etc.. (Pleks needs to be dealt at the deadline, obviously).

• Like 1

I agree with you Chicoutimi and thats why im concerned that this drought will likely lead to three decades without a cup.

So be it

edit- So to resume.

Probable Habs plan: wait to see if they can sign Tavares or another top Cenre via UFA - IF NOT its Garage sale and Molson cleans upper management

49 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Rumours aside, signing Tavares would change the whole profile of this team IMHO.

With Tavares, this team has a core of JT-Price-Weber-Patches: arguably pretty close to contender status IF we can also somehow acquire a legit #2 puck-moving defenceman.

Without Tavares, this team needs to focus on its crop of young-ish FWs and look to build around them so as to contend in 3-4 years. That means rebooting via a Pacioretty trade and possibly other significant moves.

So I would wait until the Tavares file is settled before deciding on Pacioretty and guys like Shaw, etc.. (Pleks needs to be dealt at the deadline, obviously).

We shouldn't be waiting tell the trade deadline to unload our ufa's. Start trading them now. We are 4th last in the league, we have to realize that the season is done.  And for those who think otherwise you're the reason this organization can't rebuild this team the right way.

• Upvote 3

Bossy is connected in Brooklyn but still works in Montreal.

I doubt he's talked to Tavares on the matter but maybe he knows where Tavares doesn't want to go. I know with Stamkos there was a bunch of rumours but in reality Stamkos didn't want to talk to anyone except Tampa. He had no plans to leave which is why Yzerman got a good deal.

Tavares is a loyal guy. His previous contract was the best deal in the league. The Islanders have likely already offered him the world and the club looks to be in a lot better shape than it was with the emergence of their young kids. There's absolutely no reason for him to leave unless he's leaving to a better team, and Montreal is not better. We don't even have his good friend Subban anymore. 

It's the greatest of pipe dreams. We might as well be hoping for Auston Matthews to sign an offer sheet with us.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

We shouldn't be waiting tell the trade deadline to unload our ufa's. Start trading them now. We are 4th last in the league, we have to realize that the season is done.  And for those who think otherwise you're the reason this organization can't rebuild this team the right way.

It’s not because of fans that the team can’t rebuild. It’s because the players themselves want to win every game they play. The coach should as well. There are plenty of UFAs and trade rumors surrounding players. Why would they care more about what the team will look like in 3 years, than what it looks like now? 

Trading players early won’t have much of an impact on our squad because the players and coach are still going to try to win.

Price is literally the only player who (I myself) could envision tanking because he’s here for the long haul and I still wouldn’t believe it. He’s sure playing like it though. 

That part is in reference to tanking.

As for UFAs, we only have Plekanec, Deslauriers, Hemsky, Niemi and not a single person has been against moving them at or before the deadline. Unless you want to trade Jerabek in order to “rebuild the right way”?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

There's absolutely no reason for him to leave unless he's leaving to a better team, and Montreal is not better.

That's a fair point, but hope is the only thing I have to make sense of this forgettable season.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-canadiens-gm-bergevin-ready-active-trade-deadline/

From Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts, he says he doesn't think Bergevin is trading Price, Weber, and Mete, and it is extremely unlikely he trades Drouin. 

Still not a "rebuild," it's a "retool."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The Avalanche will now be the prime example for failing GMs to keep their jobs.

Not many GM’s have a McKinnon to bail them out.  We certainly don’t.

You look at the oilers, Chiarelli’s made some horrible moves, but with McDavid there I can’t see them sucking that bad two years in a row, despite Chiarelli’s horrible moves and the owner continuously giving lifetime positions to the 80’s oilers glory boys.

This may have been brought up and discussed before, if it was I missed it.

If we trade Max P. what would we expect to get back from him?

In listening to some reports of what other GM's said is that they thought Sakic received way too much for Duschene and very few would have been willing to pay that much. The sense I got was that they were saying that those kind of returns probably would not be repeated. I think Colorado received 7 pieces??

In hindsight, based on a small sample size on the results Duschene has put up, I think they're right. But it's still early and Ottawa is having a terrible year, so maybe it's too early to really know. 

So based on that,  I would expect that we would get a top rated prospect, who must be a potential #1 centre, a first round pick and a #2 or #3 defence man for Max?? 

Or a #1 center [would we get a Pierre Luc Dubois?], a first round pick and a 2nd or 3d defenceman.

Is this reasonable, can we expect something like this for Max?

What do you think? 

Dubois is not happening.. He is contributing NOW in Columbus, and is nearly PPG over his last 25 games.  Forget him. It is/was a pipe dream.

For Max

Excellent Centr prospect... think Anaheim's Sam Steel, or St. Louis' Robert Thomas, or something of that nature. 

A puck moving defence prospect (preferably left handed). 

A 1st rounder or 2nd rounder (depending on the quality of the defence prospect... you get a Robert Thomas + Vince Dunn package, you take a 2nd rounder; you get a lesser D, you ask for a first). 

Also I might look at the fact I have three 2nd rounders already and I might want a 2019 pick.   The other advantage of a 2019 pick is what if some team has a disaster season out of nowhere next year.  Like the Blackhawks, (or even our team) going from a 100+ point team to sucking.  It might be worth it to have someone's 2019 first and hopefully be in that lottery.  Jack Hughes looks as good as Auston Matthews on that USNTDP team.

I don't think Tavares is gonna leave Long Island. Our chances of signing him are very slim...I wouldn't count on it! 

Trade Plex and maybe another forward like Byron and get some more picks for the draft!

19 hours ago, Commandant said:

Dubois is not happening.. He is contributing NOW in Columbus, and is nearly PPG over his last 25 games.  Forget him. It is/was a pipe dream.

For Max

Excellent Centr prospect... think Anaheim's Sam Steel, or St. Louis' Robert Thomas, or something of that nature. 

A puck moving defence prospect (preferably left handed). 

A 1st rounder or 2nd rounder (depending on the quality of the defence prospect... you get a Robert Thomas + Vince Dunn package, you take a 2nd rounder; you get a lesser D, you ask for a first). 

Also I might look at the fact I have three 2nd rounders already and I might want a 2019 pick.   The other advantage of a 2019 pick is what if some team has a disaster season out of nowhere next year.  Like the Blackhawks, (or even our team) going from a 100+ point team to sucking.  It might be worth it to have someone's 2019 first and hopefully be in that lottery.  Jack Hughes looks as good as Auston Matthews on that USNTDP team.

It seems that looking down the road at potential players like Hughes coming up in the draft and then going out getting someone else's first round pick a year or two ahead of time was how a very shrewd Sam Pollock ended up picking none other than Guy Lafleur and we all know how that turned out! 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Habsfan said:

I don't think Tavares is gonna leave Long Island. Our chances of signing him are very slim...I wouldn't count on it! 

Trade Plex and maybe another forward like Byron and get some more picks for the draft!

I don't believe that the Isles can win anything within the next few seasons due to shaky goaltending issues.

If the Habs somehow land Dahlin,  Tavares might be tempted to join  Price and Weber for a shot at a run.

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We're not getting Dahlin, barring some miraculous lottery roll.

To be fair, that can be said for every non-playoff team as even the worst team only has a one-in-five chance of picking 1st.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

To be fair, that can be said for every non-playoff team as even the worst team only has a one-in-five chance of picking 1st.

I guess that's true; and we did enjoy a minor miracle with the lottery during the Crosby/Price draft. (For one giddy moment, it looked as though Sid being a Hab might actually be possible!) My post probably reflects my own attitude to all forms of gambling, i.e. go in assuming you're gonna lose;)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I guess that's true; and we did enjoy a minor miracle with the lottery during the Crosby/Price draft. (For one giddy moment, it looked as though Sid being a Hab might actually be possible!) My post probably reflects my own attitude to all forms of gambling, i.e. go in assuming you're gonna lose;)

My heart was beating out of my chest during that lottery. And I'm sure Crosby's was as well being a Habs fan. It would have been a match made in heaven 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Per Renaud Lavoie, Max Pacioretty's 'clan' expects the captain to be traded in the coming days.

http://www.tvasports.ca/2018/01/29/le-clan-pacioretty-sattend-a-ce-quil-parte

Cool! I look forward to the slow but high-character stay-at-home 34-year-old d-man that Bergevin will get back ;)