Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

28 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I would give the leafs a call. They could use a guy like Weber plus he knows the coach well from team Canada so there's history there.

Toronto can't really take on another big contract though since they have Nylander, Marner, and Matthews to deal with.  They'll go from making $3 million in salary to $23 million between now and the next two years.  I agree that he makes sense there but I don't think it would work financially.

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Toronto can't really take on another big contract though since they have Nylander, Marner, and Matthews to deal with.  They'll go from making $3 million in salary to $23 million between now and the next two years.  I agree that he makes sense there but I don't think it would work financially.

If we could get back nylander or marner in the deal then it does. 

There would certainly be some pros of a potential Weber deal. I think that there would likely be league wide interest.  Now, not all teams would be able to absorb his contract, but I think just about every team would be kicking the tires on a potential deal.  Weber also lacks a NTC/NMC, so he can be dealt anywhere.  Huge bonus for the Habs.  The Habs should be able to get full value for Weber since there are no restrictions aside from cap hit.  There would also be some cons to a deal.  The Habs would be trading their best defenseman and really the only good defenseman they have.  The blueline would look even worse unless they were getting back a good defenseman in the deal.  Of course, if a team is trading their top defenseman (Weber), and top forward (Pacioretty) and other veterans, you're likely looking at a rebuild and the team is going to be crap for a bit anyway.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The more i think about a Pacioretty trade, the more I want the pick to be a 2019 first. 

We have 4 picks in the first two rounds, including a really high one this year. 

I'd do something like Patches to Anaheim for

Sam Steel, 2019 first and Josh Mahura. 

I mean, what we've seen the last couple years... Sens and Habs turning to turds this year after being strong last year. Tampa even missed the playoffs just one year ago.  Trade for a 2019 pick and hope that team has a bad season and misses the playoffs.  They don't even have to finish last, anything in the lottery has a chance of winning the Jack Hughes prize.  It doesn't even have to be anaheim, could be any team that wants patch.  You never know what will happen next year. 

I'd love to see that return for Montreal.  I think there are a few teams that are coming to the end of their Cup window that the Habs should be looking at getting future 1st rounders (2019 and beyond) from.  Pittsburgh, Chicago, San Jose, and Anaheim are the most note worthy.  All have aging cores and most have depth and cap issues.

I started out saying that Eklund is not a reliable source at all, but for argument sake, while we're waiting, I personally think now is the time to trade him if we can. The older he gets the slower he'll be. I don't think the injury will affect his trade value....people know what he brings.

If we could get a really good D prospect, a 1st next year and one other good piece, personally I'd do it. Plus we free up a ton of cap space. 

For me it's time to move some older guys if we could get a pretty good return.  

24 minutes ago, REV-G said:

I started out saying that Eklund is not a reliable source at all, but for argument sake, while we're waiting, I personally think now is the time to trade him if we can. The older he gets the slower he'll be. I don't think the injury will affect his trade value....people know what he brings.

If we could get a really good D prospect, a 1st next year and one other good piece, personally I'd do it. Plus we free up a ton of cap space. 

For me it's time to move some older guys if we could get a pretty good return.  

The problem I have is that people are wanting to trade proven, elite talent for no reason other than getting younger. After the amount of cap space we had available this year, I find the saved cap space a hard argument to feel comfortable with. While any team has to be vigilant with cap space, it shouldn’t necessarily be a priority of ours in the moment. What this team needs is more people with a cap hit like Weber’s, not less. I say this because most teams witch cup aspirations simply do. In my opinion while we can go back and rant about all the terrible contracts Bergevin has given out (like Alzner’s), he’s also demonstrated an unwillingness to dish out the dollars to the talented players as well.

While I certainly understand why people are discussing trading Pacioretty and Weber, I’ve had a hard time imagining that the overall impact of the return will ever be more beneficial to the team both in the short term, as well as the log run.

I personally wouldn’t trade Weber while thinking that a 1st round draft pick would be an important component of the return. Considering that Weber is elite now, there’s too much uncertainty for me when someone states we should trade Weber *if* we can get this piece or that piece.

The thoughts behind trading Pacioretty or Weber may be coherent, but the proposals made have left me uncertain that it would be beneficial to the team as well. Everyone keeps mentioning prospects when it comes to

Weber and Pacioretty proposals, but I’d personally want something proven in return for either of those players in addition to said prospects and draft picks. If the other teams wouldn’t be willing? Well, don’t trade them and find other avenues to make deals. 

Of course things need to change, but there are other ways as well. If we trade Weber and Pacioretty or even one of them purely for futures, we have a great risk of being bad for many years. Some people (not all) seem to be fine with that for one reason or another, but for the sake of the high draft pick argument, or seasonal tanking, that’s not a guaranteed recipe for success and I’m not sold. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

The problem I have is that people are wanting to trade proven, elite talent for no reason other than getting younger. After the amount of cap space we had available this year, I find the saved cap space a hard argument to feel comfortable with. While any team has to be vigilant with cap space, it shouldn’t necessarily be a priority of ours in the moment. What this team needs is more people with a cap hit like Weber’s, not less. I say this because most teams witch cup aspirations simply do. In my opinion while we can go back and rant about all the terrible contracts Bergevin has given out (like Alzner’s), he’s also demonstrated an unwillingness to dish out the dollars to the talented players as well.

While I certainly understand why people are discussing trading Pacioretty and Weber, I’ve had a hard time imagining that the overall impact of the return will ever be more beneficial to the team both in the short term, as well as the log run.

I personally wouldn’t trade Weber while thinking that a 1st round draft pick would be an important component of the return. Considering that Weber is elite now, there’s too much uncertainty for me when someone states we should trade Weber *if* we can get this piece or that piece.

The thoughts behind trading Pacioretty or Weber may be coherent, but the proposals made have left me uncertain that it would be beneficial to the team as well. Everyone keeps mentioning prospects when it comes to

Weber and Pacioretty proposals, but I’d personally want something proven in return for either of those players in addition to said prospects and draft picks. If the other teams wouldn’t be willing? Well, don’t trade them and find other avenues to make deals. 

Of course things need to change, but there are other ways as well. If we trade Weber and Pacioretty or even one of them purely for futures, we have a great risk of being bad for many years. Some people (not all) seem to be fine with that for one reason or another, but for the sake of the high draft pick argument, or seasonal tanking, that’s not a guaranteed recipe for success and I’m not sold. 

I think it has more to do with the team being bad and the fact that we have no elite young talent waiting in the wings to make the team. The only way we can get those type of players other than drafting them is by trade. So that's why you keep hearing Pacioretty's name, Weber's name and Price's name in trade talks. If the team was winning and we were in the playoffs you wouldn't hear there names in trade talks.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Maxpac + Weber + danault + Hudon for Draisaitl + Larsson + Puljujarvi 

Pacs is not going to sign in Montreal after next year, no way! Way too much turmoil and issues since he’s been captain. 

Knowing that, you trade him this year as a team will likely pay more for him to be a part of two playoff runs.

I would be shocked if Price or Weber we’re moved.

6 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Pacs is not going to sign in Montreal after next year, no way! Way too much turmoil and issues since he’s been captain. 

Knowing that, you trade him this year as a team will likely pay more for him to be a part of two playoff runs.

I would be shocked if Price or Weber we’re moved.

I think as soon as we get a new GM, they will both be on the block. They are the only two guys left that can bring back true elite talent.

13 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I hear what you're saying. In fact I tend to agree that we shouldn't trade Weber; he stabilizes the blueline, and the worst thing for young D is to expect them to develop within the context of a tire-fire. Only if we acquire another top-end defenceman should we move him. Furthermore, my own pet proposal for a Patches trade involves precisely getting back a #2/#1A C and an impact prospect, which means that I don't support leaving a huge Pacioretty-sized hole in our current FW configuration. I don't believe in a rebuild. I do believe in a retool.

However, Weber is turning 33 and Patches is turning 30 and will require a long-term commitment next year. My question to you is, how old does a player have to be before you flip him for younger assets? If we were contenders, then no one would be talking about trading these guys. But since we are bottom-feeding garbage with no impact prospects on the cusp of strengthening the club in the near term, doesn't it make sense to deal them away so they can decline elsewhere, while we take advantage of near-peak value for a guy like Patches and transmute him into impactful younger assets?

Kypreos reports that the Habs asking price on Pacioretty is a 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick, a top prospect, and a roster player.

Chris Johnson notes that the trade market is at a standstill: sellers asking a lot, buyers are balking at the prices. Doubtful any big moves happen until deadline day.

14 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Kypreos reports that the Habs asking Price on Pacioretty is a 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick, a top prospect, and a roster player.

Chris Johnson notes that the trade market is at a standstill: sellers asking a lot, buyers are balking at the prices. Doubtful any big moves happen until deadline day.

Bergevin trying to clean up his mess in one trade i see?????

MA Godin in the Athletic. 

Habs could use excess cap space to take on bad contracts at the deadline and give other teams more cap space. 

Note all of these vets are on expiring contracts, the goal is to get the prospect/pick.

His suggestions are to do one (or more) of the following

Take on a Prospect or Pick + Eric Fehr from the Leafs who are also at the 50 contract limit

Prospect + Matt Stajan from the Flames

Prospect + Chris Stewart and/or Kyle Quincey from the Wild

Prospect/Pick + Shawn Matthias from Winnipeg.

I like the idea of taking cap dumps and picking up picks or prospects...

i dont know how much Minnesota would give up to rid themselves of Stewart’s 1.1 mil, but Stajan’s 3.2 from Calgary would be ok..

Could we pry a 2nd or 3rd away? Worth exploring 

I'm not sure any of those teams will give any kind of early pick for a team that's willing to take on an expiring bad contract (I'd still do it for later picks).  You would probably have to take on a bad contract with term to get a 2nd or 3rd rounder (or a worthwhile prospect).  I don't think the Habs will be all that good next year (maybe a bubble playoff team, but not a Cup contender), so I would be willing to take a bad contract or two for next year.  Tavares is a pipe dream.  Never gonna happen.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

MA Godin in the Athletic. 

Habs could use excess cap space to take on bad contracts at the deadline and give other teams more cap space. 

Note all of these vets are on expiring contracts, the goal is to get the prospect/pick.

His suggestions are to do one (or more) of the following

Take on a Prospect or Pick + Eric Fehr from the Leafs who are also at the 50 contract limit

Prospect + Matt Stajan from the Flames

Prospect + Chris Stewart and/or Kyle Quincey from the Wild

Prospect/Pick + Shawn Matthias from Winnipeg.

Seems a bit of a pipe dream from Godin.

Winnipeg and Calgary will have enough cap space at the deadline that they won't need to move anyone to fit anyone. The Leafs will probably just match contracts in any trade they make to add to their team.

Minnesota has a cap and contract crunch so they could be looking to make those moves, but they'll be more interested in whoever is willing to eat Tyler Ennis's deal for this year and next.

I don't think Godin's suggestions are based on a real market need, especially at the trade deadline.

3 hours ago, John B said:

I'm not sure any of those teams will give any kind of early pick for a team that's willing to take on an expiring bad contract (I'd still do it for later picks).  You would probably have to take on a bad contract with term to get a 2nd or 3rd rounder (or a worthwhile prospect).  I don't think the Habs will be all that good next year (maybe a bubble playoff team, but not a Cup contender), so I would be willing to take a bad contract or two for next year.  Tavares is a pipe dream.  Never gonna happen.

1 full year of Bryan Bickell was worth Teuvo Teravainen.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

1 full year of Bryan Bickell was worth Teuvo Teravainen.

Should the Habs target guys with a full year left to get a better return?  Paul Martin, Carl Hagelin, Marcus Kruger, Matt Moulson, Tyler Ennis, Braydon Coburn, Brooks Orpik, and Steve Mason.  There are probably a few more, but I'm not sure who still plays a major role (and is just overpaid) and who doesn't with their respective teams.