Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Elliotte Friedman noted in his 31 Thoughts podcast that he thinks LA has considered trading for Max Pacioretty but currently deems the price too high.

I wonder if LA hadn't had that lengthy losing streak that pushed them back closer to the wildcard if they'd be more willing to pay the price...

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Elliotte Friedman noted in his 31 Thoughts podcast that he thinks LA has considered trading for Max Pacioretty but currently deems the price too high.

I wonder if LA hadn't had that lengthy losing streak that pushed them back closer to the wildcard if they'd be more willing to pay the price...

Could the problem be that Bergevin doesn't want to look bad on any more deals that he is pricing his players hi? I mean one more bad deal could mean his job. 

This isn't the first time that we've heard that Bergevin's (or any other GM's) asking price is too high.  I'm pretty sure this is just the way it goes until some form of compromise can be made.  I'd be curious to hear what that asking price is though.

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Could the problem be that Bergevin doesn't want to look bad on any more deals that he is pricing his players hi? I mean one more bad deal could mean his job. 

Despite the myth that Bergevin sucks at making trades, he has won more than he has lost. His problem is not addressing team needs and a lack of vision. 

18 hours ago, John B said:

This isn't the first time that we've heard that Bergevin's (or any other GM's) asking price is too high.  I'm pretty sure this is just the way it goes until some form of compromise can be made.  I'd be curious to hear what that asking price is though.

I personally thought Sakic was ridiculous for holding out and asking so much for Duschene.

Look who had the last laugh. Sakic got a boatload in return and by far was the winner and his team is looking a lot better now than before! 

I'm glad MB is asking a lot. He should. Big, fast, skilled perennial 30 goal scorers should command a really good return.  

Has our window really closed up??? If so it shouldn't be a retool it should be a full rebuild. If its a retool we don't trade a guy like Pacioretty, if its a rebuild we trade Pacioretty, Weber , price , Gallagher, petry, galchenyuk. We do a full rebuild, if its a retool we keep this guys just trade our ufa's and use the cap space and picks to retool. But that all depends on how much we think our window is closed.

2 hours ago, Metallica said:

Has our window really closed up??? If so it shouldn't be a retool it should be a full rebuild. If its a retool we don't trade a guy like Pacioretty, if its a rebuild we trade Pacioretty, Weber , price , Gallagher, petry, galchenyuk. We do a full rebuild, if its a retool we keep this guys just trade our ufa's and use the cap space and picks to retool. But that all depends on how much we think our window is closed.

Retool or Rebuild, still time to move Max. It’s simple asset management.. he’s not resigning in Montreal and the return would be less next year. Get the best return for him now!

52 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Retool or Rebuild, still time to move Max. It’s simple asset management.. he’s not resigning in Montreal and the return would be less next year. Get the best return for him now!

Yeah but if you retool that means your still planning on trying to win a cup. Why trade a piece that could still help you win that cup ? If you're not planning on trying to win a cup then just rebuild and trade everyone. Don't just trade Pacioretty then hold on to price and weber. 

You move pacioretty to get a piece you desperately need at centre. 

Re-tooling still means adding pieces you need.  And you have to give something up to be able to get something. 

I also have no interest in signing a 30 year old winger to a 7 or 8 year big money deal. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, REV-G said:

I personally thought Sakic was ridiculous for holding out and asking so much for Duschene.

Look who had the last laugh. Sakic got a boatload in return and by far was the winner and his team is looking a lot better now than before! 

I'm glad MB is asking a lot. He should. Big, fast, skilled perennial 30 goal scorers should command a really good return.  

Agreed.  Trying to trade players is like trying to sell your car.  You know people are going to low ball you so ask for more (within reason as to not scare away potential buyers) than you really want and hope you end up with exactly what you wanted when negotiations are over.

4 hours ago, Metallica said:

I was thinking along these lines as well.  There is a way to trade Pacioretty and get a good return that helps in the near future without going through a full "tear it down and start over" rebuild.  The Leafs didn't trade every asset when they committed to their rebuild plan.  They still have Bozak, van Riemsdyk, Lupul (although he's injured), Gardiner, Komarov, and probably more that I can't remember now.  These were all players that were expected or rumored to be moved in a fire sale.  The Leafs are already holding down a playoff spot for the second year in a row.  They have a ways to go before they really contend for a Cup, but they're on the right track.  It just goes to show that a rebuild doesn't have to be a long painful experience.  Sometimes you can turn things around within a few years if you make the right moves and commit to it.  It's about doing it right from here on out by properly developing youngsters and proper asset management. 

From Bob McKenzie's latest podcast:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/the-tsn-hockey-bobcast-season-2-episode-11-1.993856

- Pacioretty to St. Louis speculation is possibly a bit overblown

- Notes the Muller connection when it comes to Robby Fabbri

- Expects the Habs to make a run at re-signing Plekanec for one year - he really likes playing for Julien and Julien really likes Plekanec

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

From Bob McKenzie's latest podcast:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/the-tsn-hockey-bobcast-season-2-episode-11-1.993856

- Pacioretty to St. Louis speculation is possibly a bit overblown

- Notes the Muller connection when it comes to Robby Fabbri

- Expects the Habs to make a run at re-signing Plekanec for one year - he really likes playing for Julien and Julien really likes Plekanec

Bergevin ego wont let him retool or rebuild this team. He still thinks they're good enough to win in the playoffs. He thinks its on the players not him. This thinking is why he needs to be let go. He has a hard time admitting to his mistakes.

39 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

It shouldn't even be an option to resign Plekanec. 

Why? Obviously at reduced salary and role and maybe teams really arnt interested in adding him, or haven't made any good offers yet and maybe Habs are just starting rumour to drive up value? Who knows.

But, hope they do change personal, get a young centre& young top four d-man and picks/prospects at cost of couple wingers named Gallagher & Pacioretty.

(also, would like to see him retire as a Hab)

Edited by DON
2nd thought

1 hour ago, DON said:

Why? Obviously at reduced salary and role and maybe teams really arnt interested in adding him, or haven't made any good offers yet and maybe Habs are just starting rumour to drive up value? Who knows.

But, hope they do change personal, get a young centre& young top four d-man and picks/prospects at cost of couple wingers named Gallagher & Pacioretty.

(also, would like to see him retire as a Hab)

As long as we trade him before the deadline, there should be no problem with re-signing this classy lifelong Hab at a reasonable rate.

24 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I have no idea what the Flames and Habs can offer one another. I fear Bergevin thinks he can get something out of Lazar...

How could it not be Hudon for Lazar and a 3rd?

23 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I have no idea what the Flames and Habs can offer one another. I fear Bergevin thinks he can get something out of Lazar...

Calgary has Bennett and Jankowski, two young guys who are supposed to develop into NHL centres. Bennett has struggled. Jankowski is a late bloomer. Any deal between the Habs and Flames will involve one of them.

If I'm looking at the Flames I want one of their offensive defencemen.  One of the prospects. 

They aren't giving Valimaki but I'd want one of Andersson, Kylington, Fox, 

Andersson is most talented.

Kylington probably fits our needs best though. 

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If I'm looking at the Flames I want one of their offensive defencemen.  One of the prospects. 

They aren't giving Valimaki but I'd want one of Andersson, Kylington, Fox, 

Andersson is most talented.

Kylington probably fits our needs best though. 

Right, but then why would Bergevin be watching the Flames team play? He's looking at someone on their roster, not the prospects.

Apparently Calgary might be looking for a 3rd line scoring winger (what Jagr was supposed to be), and if that is true then the Habs can definitely help out there... even some of our centres are 3rd line scoring wingers.

9 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Byron back to Calgary for anything would be hilarious.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if that were to happen.  Their GM admitted at the time that they really didn't want to lose him and thought they could sneak him through waivers since he was just coming off an injury (they nearly did, too).  They're also looking for depth scoring and that's what Byron would be.