Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

From Saturday Headlines on CBC:

Nick Kypreos says Pittsburgh and San Jose are potential suitors for Plekanec, and notes that Pleks is one of the top centermen available right now.

Elliotte Friedman chimed in that he still believes Bergevin could try to re-sign Plekanec instead of trade him, and I got so angry that blood poured out of my ears and I missed the rest of the segment.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

From Saturday Headlines on CBC:

Nick Kypreos says Pittsburgh and San Jose are potential suitors for Plekanec, and notes that Pleks is one of the top centermen available right now.

Elliotte Friedman chimed in that he still believes Bergevin could try to re-sign Plekanec instead of trade him, and I got so angry that blood poured out of my ears and I missed the rest of the segment.

The only center available, dried up market for centers. Also I hope he doesn't resign him. Why would they not pay Markov and pay Plekenec?

Why would the habs re sign Pleks? 

Pleks does not address any need the habs have, he's not a #1 or #2 center, he isn't a defenseman. 

Byron Danault Shaw is a good 3rd line. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Why would the habs re sign Pleks? 

Pleks does not address any need the habs have, he's not a #1 or #2 center, he isn't a defenseman. 

Byron Danault Shaw is a good 3rd line. 

I agree. The terrifying thought is that they have Danault pencilled in as #2C and so figure they need Pleks as the #3.

If they re-sign Pleks without trading him, then we have to confront the possibility that MB is not just a crummy GM, but inept on the scale if Houle or Milbury: completely unable to see a bigger picture.

Julien loves Pleks. Taking away a centreman who he can put out against the other team's top line is taking away a tool Julien has been using for a decade, so of course he's telling Bergevin to re-sign him.

And hey, send him a contract offer between 2 and 3 mil for 2 years if your coach is that jazzed about him... but send that offer on July 1st AFTER you get a future asset for him in a dead season.

23 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Can't wait to acquire Soderberg because Julien needs a centre he can trust and Plekanec signed elsewhere.

Plekanec is +3

If he were to be on the ice the entire season, the Habs may onlyyyyy have 10 goals, but we would also only have 7 against. 

:P

Dylan Sikura who has 39 points in 22 games at Northeastern University this year, and had 57 in 38 last year, is apparently going to spurn the Blackhawks and head to free agency on August 15th. 

With the success of Will Butcher and Alex Kerfoot this season, he's the big prize this summer.  Also he's a centre which means Bergevin better be interested. 

46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Dylan Sikura who has 39 points in 22 games at Northeastern University this year, and had 57 in 38 last year, is apparently going to spurn the Blackhawks and head to free agency on August 15th. 

With the success of Will Butcher and Alex Kerfoot this season, he's the big prize this summer.  Also he's a centre which means Bergevin better be interested. 

But....But....But we don't need any help, its all in there heads, between there ??. ?

https://theathletic.com/238913/2018/02/12/top-rentals-at-the-trade-deadline-hope-your-team-needs-a-winger/

Paywalled article, but Craig Custance says the smart money is on Pleks re-signing before the deadline. 

In related news: everything is numb; colours are muted, dull, and gray; joy is as distant as a faded echo you desperately strain to hear, because the silence leaves you cold and empty...

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Bergevin is gonna be like, I've got 3 second rounders, I don't need more picks, why would i trade him.... not realizing he can get 2019 picks or 2020 picks to spread things out. 

I'm no Bergevin fan, but maybe Pleks has no interest in playing anywhere else, and Mr Fancy Suits is accommodating a loyal, lifelong Hab's wishes?

3 hours ago, lazy26 said:

I'm no Bergevin fan, but maybe Pleks has no interest in playing anywhere else, and Mr Fancy Suits is accommodating a loyal, lifelong Hab's wishes?

If that’s true then you agree to resign him in the summer and tell him he’d help the team be better by moving for a few months. 

Pleks not being dealt would be pure stupidity. The market doesn’t have many defensive centers available. The return should be decent.

4 hours ago, lazy26 said:

You want loyalty buy a dog.... Now where did I hear that in the off season ???

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, lazy26 said:

This is business and Plekanec has been paid very well by the Habs for his service.  There is no room for sentimentality here... get assets and improve the future of your team.

If he wants to come back for cheap, then fine.... but he needs to go now. 

Perhaps what's going on is that MB has had discussions with Pleks about his expectations for a new contract. And that is being misinterpreted as 'Habs look to re-sign Plekanec,' rather than just being a GM just exploring his options, perhaps with an eye to summer UFA planning. 

The fact that we can actually believe that MB would not trade Pleks is itself an indictment of Bergevin, exposing how little basic competence we credit him.