Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

23 minutes ago, DON said:

If cant get a 2nd round pick for Plekanec, why wouldn't you retain him at a much reduced salary? Always liked him as a Hab and again say, would be great to see him retire a Hab.

Habs already have a Gallagher replacement in Shaw and as many were clamoring for him to be traded last year, when his value couldn't of been any lower...now it is the opposite and his value likely wont get any higher. Also, who is easier to replace, or do without, Pacioretty or Gallagher?

But is typical and fan favourites like Gallagher are seen as untradeable by many, when Pacioretty has been tossed under the bus at one point every year, until he rips off 10g in 10 games and scores a OT goal or two.

Anyone should be traded if doing so helps the team.

Trading Pleks for a 2nd or even 3rd rounder helps the team because it flips a declining asset for a valuable pick. Since this team is total crap, the future is what counts, not sentimentally clinging to aging vets (especially when they never won a damned thing).

Sure, trade Gallagher if that helps the team. But since Gally is better than Shaw, it'd be wiser to try to get other teams to take Shaw instead, if they're looking for that type of player. GMs tend to be dazzled by Cup rings, so this could work.

The idea of trading Patches is based on a combination of his age and his impending need for a new contract, as well as on the fact that we have lots of W and no C and next to no D. 

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Trade him for what you can.

If he wants to retire a Hab he still can.  He can be resigned at that reduced salary in July.

Doubt he wants to a 2nd jersey. And you know it doesn't happen to resign a player you traded away for a pick.

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Trade and resign Plex...any asset is better than no asset...Why not trade and sign?

Simply never happens is why.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It has happened for sure. Not to mention that we don't even need him back - Danault is perfect for third line centre and will surely add more offense than Plex is able to at this point.

Exactly. NORMAL franchises trade declining vets for assets and replace them from within with younger players. 

Since this franchise is run by clowns, that may well not happen in this case.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Don that a trade and resign is unlikely to happen. Once he gets traded, it will be to a contender and then there’s potential for him to be helpful during their cup run and potentially resigned by that team. It also gives a different feeling to know the club views you as expendable. It’s semantics but there’s no doubt about it. 

As much as people’s response is that this would fine, since it’s time to move on, they still keep bringing up the possibility that we could resign him in the summer before their counter argument is that it would be fine to let him go. So why even bring it up, as though it makes the decision of trading him that much more obvious? 

If we should trade Plekanec, it will be because he is no longer of value to us, not because we should be accumulating assets. So the thought process that we could be able to resign him in the summer should have zero impact on whether or not we move him.

As much as there is value in trading him for a pick, there is also some overlooked value in resigning Plekanec at a reduced rate. Plekanec has certainly regressed offensively, but we wouldn’t be paying him the same 6 million at this year. Furthermore while Danault is better offensively, Plekanec is better defensively. They aren’t the same player. 

If I’m Bergevin, it all comes down to what is offered for him versus what salary he is expecting to resign. I believe Bergevin is truly open to either avenue judging that he’s already resigned Deslauriers and traded Jerabek and believe in this scenario that he will make the right choice. Neither move is catastrophic unless he is traded for a 5th, or resigned at 5 mill for multiple years. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Doubt he wants to a 2nd jersey. And you know it doesn't happen to resign a player you traded away for a pick.

I think it was Arpon Basu that said he had asked Plekanec about the idea of being traded away and re-signing in the summer, and Pleks said if he was traded he would almost feel forced to look elsewhere, because he'd feel like that chapter of his life would have ended...

So you're right, he doesn't want to go, and if he does he might not come back.

I still think the risk is worth it for the pick, whatever pick it may be. This team needs the future assets more than it needs a 36 year old defense-only centre. 

I would say that the odds of him resigning after being traded would be low, as it doesn't happen very often at all in this scenario. 

That being said, I don't really care one way or the other what they do with Plekanec. Either extend him for around 2m for 2 years or trade him, either way is better than what he is getting paid to do now. The only way I'd be upset if he gets resigned for more money than he is worth. 

I don't think the Habs will win a Stanley Cup next year or the year after.  I doubt Plekanec is extended beyond two years.  So I would trade him for whatever I can get and move on.  If he wants to come back, he's welcome to at a much reduced cap hit.

13 minutes ago, John B said:

I don't think the Habs will win a Stanley Cup next year or the year after.  I doubt Plekanec is extended beyond two years.  So I would trade him for whatever I can get and move on.  If he wants to come back, he's welcome to at a much reduced cap hit.

Indeed. WHO CARES IF PLEKS SIGNS ELSEWHERE? We have a younger replacement in Danault. The end. FFS I can't believe this is even a topic of debate.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Indeed. WHO CARES IF PLEKS SIGNS ELSEWHERE? We have a younger replacement in Danault. The end. FFS I can't believe this is even a topic of debate.

It’s not a big deal either way. However saying who cares if Pleks signs elsewhere completely devalues him. Danault is not a replacement for Plekanec. He is another center on the team. 

I have to say that it’s starting to seem as though anything that is younger is a replacement for someone who is older, as long they play the same position under your view. 

It’s a topic of debate because right or wrong, clearly Bergevin won’t have the exact same vision as yourself and our team needs centers. Even if Danault was a replacement for Plekanec, we’d still need even more NHL ready centers now. 

He’s also the only one to know what the market is saying and I personally don’t see how getting a 3rd for Plekanec is an amazing return. Frankly, when looked at the grand scheme of things and all the years of service, even a second rounder isn’t anything to get ecstatic about in return for him. I’ll be one of those who agree that we “should have” traded him years ago if that becomes the case.

Plekanec has regressed but there’s also a possibility we can resign him at decent value when compared with his 6 million. Why not consider that possibility? 

Our fans wanted Bergevin to be loyal to Markov and not even one year later we should cut Plekanec loose even if he were willing to take a pay cut. That’s not retooling. That’s rebuilding. 

For weeks the first move I assumed Bergevin would make was to unload Plekanec so let’s not get that mistaken. He’s not as effective offensively as Markov may have been for us, weird as that is to say. I still think the fact that Plekanec’s 6 million contract is expiring is completely being overlooked though. If he did resign at 2 million, which I’m not sure he would, then there certainly is some value in that $4 million in savings in and of itself.

It’s not like we are deciding between obtaining a second rounder and “losing him for nothing” We would be deciding between whatever his value is and he amount he would be willing to resign for. 

If Plekanec gets traded for a 2nd rounder, I won’t complain. But I also won’t be standing there saying “amazing”. Deals that aren’t amazing, should be up for debate. 

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If he were to be resigned...

What are his salary demands?

What would he get on the open market? (4-5 mil per season I bet)

What is a reasonable offer from us? (I think 5 mil over two seasons)

What would our dumbass gm offer him? (I bet 9 mil over two seasons)

It’s tough to put a number on it because people are already overly critical of him so I feel like I’m talking to a pack of wolves. I feel as though he definitely might be able to get 4 or 4.5 million on the open market and so in that respect, it might be best to obtain an asset for him. Despite 2 million being thrown out there, I personally would consider 3-4 million for him, depending what a return for him would bring in a trade instead. He still is one of the best at what he does.

The other argument that is being brought up is that the Habs can’t contend for a few years so we should move him. As a fan, (who also wants our GM to make the best moves possible), I can’t gel with that mindset or otherwise I wouldn’t watch much next year and so with that being said, on a competitive team Plekanec is the perfect player to fluster opposing team’s top players during the playoffs. 

“But we aren’t a playoff team, so he should be sent packing to a playoff team in return for an asset.” This I agree with, I’m just hopeful it’s a 2nd + if it becomes the case.

10 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It’s not a big deal either way.

I agree

Our fans wanted Bergevin to be loyal to Markov and not even one year later we should cut Plekanec

Past mistakes should not tilt tilt the decision the wrong way in Pleks. As an asset, he needs to be used for the biggest return

If Plekanec gets traded for a 2nd rounder, I won’t complain. But I also won’t be standing there saying “amazing”. Deals that aren’t amazing, should be up for debate. 

Granted, but it is time for #14 to contribute to the teams success by being traded

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

OBVIOUSLY YOU DO CARE, otherwise what is with the all caps and cussin?

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If he were to be resigned...

What are his salary demands?

What would he get on the open market? (4-5 mil per season I bet)

What is a reasonable offer from us? (I think 5 mil over two seasons)

What would our dumbass gm offer him? (I bet 9 mil over two seasons)

He wouldn't be resigned, like I said it just doesn't happen.

PM Koivu can you give me one example of it happening (quiet Commandant, am sure you have one insignificant example from 10 or 20 years ago)

39 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

The people who want Plekanec to stay on this team, are the same ones who's couldn't accept his decline, when it was clearly visible. 

I think Plekanec has certainly regressed but I also think this year has potential to be the worst season in the rest of his career. I also mainly think that it’s a hard argument to make that any second rounder or third rounder will have such an enormously more positive impact than Plekanec. In 5 years? Without a doubt. But we will also have found other ways to get a second or a third pick in that timespan as well. 

Take Nolan Patrick, for example who was a second overall pick and has less points that Plekanec does. 

I’m not trying to advocate keeping Plekanec but I also don’t think there should be such polarizing  view on the topic. It’s a minor difference either way, most likely. It seems to me that those who are so extreme on having him gone no matter what simply want a change of scenery. That’s fine and all, but it’s not likely a move that will improve our team to a major extent either way. I guess it’s more likely to hit a home run in the second or third round with a draft pick, than know what you have with Plekanec already at this point in his career though. 

Sorry if that came off as a slight on Patrick. I expect good things out of him. The point was that even a high draft pick like him takes time to develop and have a positive impact on the team, let alone a second rounder or a third rounder. Draft picks are great but I don’t automatically assume they will be more effective than even an over the hill veteran player who serves a clear purpose. 

Anyway, a second rounder for him and I won’t complain loudly, because that’s also 6 million available cap space.

Second + anything and I’m thanking Plekanec for his services. 

Anything less than a second rounder and I think about keeping him for the 2-3.99 million suggested. 

56 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Sorry if that came off as a slight on Patrick. I expect good things out of him. The point was that even a high draft pick like him takes time to develop and have a positive impact on the team, let alone a second rounder or a third rounder. Draft picks are great but I don’t automatically assume they will be more effective than even an over the hill veteran player who serves a clear purpose. 

Anyway, a second rounder for him and I won’t complain loudly, because that’s also 6 million available cap space.

Second + anything and I’m thanking Plekanec for his services. 

Anything less than a second rounder and I think about keeping him for the 2-3.99 million suggested. 

LaBrun speculated with relatively few centres available, that Plekanec likely will be traded...he put out Tampa as a possible landing spot.

He said he spoke with GMs today and Bergevin has been given some offers for Pacioretty, but none acceptable yet and he felt teams who miss on Grabner-Nash may sweeten deal closer to deadline.

He noted a weird one...Nashville may be interested in Karlsson???

13 minutes ago, DON said:

LaBrun speculated with relatively few centres available, that Plekanec likely will be traded...he put out Tampa as a possible landing spot.

He said he spoke with GMs today and Bergevin has been given some offers for Pacioretty, but none acceptable yet and he felt teams who miss on Grabner-Nash may sweeten deal closer to deadline.

He noted a weird one...Nashville may be interested in Karlsson???

Nashville d-core would be scary if that happened