Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I hate shit like that. 

Other players see the fanbase treating a guy whose been a loyal player, and a very good one for a long time, like shit. 

It doesn't help when free agency comes.  How much it hurts can be debated, but it certainly doesn't help. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I hate shit like that. 

Other players see the fanbase treating a guy whose been a loyal player, and a very good one for a long time, like shit. 

It doesn't help when free agency comes.  How much it hurts can be debated, but it certainly doesn't help. 

Yea it sucks that some fans ruin it for the rest. He might be having a down year but he deserves better

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, mineral said:

So who would you guys like to see come back from LA, if this does happen? Vilardi looks great on paper, but you just never know with these kids still in junior hockey. Not big on Pearson.

Vilardi's biggest issue is that he isn't a good skater in a league trending towards needing to be a great skater. But if he gets better, he could be in the NHL for a while. 

Watching him in Windsor, he was a very good player but he wasn't... Like, a guy you always know he's on the ice you know? He just has high skill. He's smart not dynamic. Knows where to be on the ice. 

I think if his skating improves he could he an ideal 2C where he can score at a 1C level but better as the second in charge.

I don't see the Kings giving him up for Pacioretty so if they do I would be happy with that return.

16 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Vilardi's biggest issue is that he isn't a good skater in a league trending towards needing to be a great skater. But if he gets better, he could be in the NHL for a while. 

Watching him in Windsor, he was a very good player but he wasn't... Like, a guy you always know he's on the ice you know? He just has high skill. He's smart not dynamic. Knows where to be on the ice. 

I think if his skating improves he could he an ideal 2C where he can score at a 1C level but better as the second in charge.

I don't see the Kings giving him up for Pacioretty so if they do I would be happy with that return.

Yeah,  but MB wants a roster player back for Patches, right? From what you say Vilardi might be an acceptable return, but that doesn't fit the profile.

58 minutes ago, Chris said:

The Blues and Panthers have prospects ready for the NHL, 

As already discussed, the Bruins traded Spooner for Nash. We’re going to need better than that. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did hear a team — or teams — called in recent weeks to inquire on Eriksson’s availability via trade.

Impossible, you say?

Was told Montreal was one, which would add up because the Habs were in on Eriksson when he was a free agent and their current head coach is Claude Julien who just happens to be the head coach.

As the story goes, Montreal wasn’t going to do anything unless the Canucks retained salary.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/the-provies-the-stretcher-the-jv18-secret-sauce-and-the-showdown-with-friedman

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

That third sentence sure goes nowhere...

Eriksson has a full NMC until 2020-2021, and then it's a modified NTC of a 15 team NO list. Unless he really wants out of Vancouver, it really doesn't matter if the Canucks will retain salary.

12 hours ago, Trizzak said:

That third sentence sure goes nowhere...

Eriksson has a full NMC until 2020-2021, and then it's a modified NTC of a 15 team NO list. Unless he really wants out of Vancouver, it really doesn't matter if the Canucks will retain salary.

He's definitely a MB type of player...old and slow;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Question. I read today that TVA Sports is saying that they have some evidence that there are plans for Paul Stastny to join Montreal in the off season. The article also said that TSN broadcaster Gord Miller stated the Montreal would be a very possible destination for Tavares this summer. Evidently Miller has been told that Tavares friendship with Price and Weber, an original six team and the tradition and atmosphere of Montreal are all very appealing to Tavares. Plus on the practical side, Montreal would have the cap room to do it while a number of other potential teams would have to move some major assets to make a Tavares addition possible. Interesting to say the least.

But that isn't my question. I don't really follow players not in Montreal very closely so other than his stats I don't know much about Paul Stastny other than he's 32, has maybe underperformed the last few years and has told someone in the media something that would cause them to tweet a prediction that Stastny is coming to Montreal. That's in the TVA Sports article today.

Would Statsny be a good second line centre for us for two years while some of our drafted centres [I'm assuming that along with Ryan Poehling we'll draft one or two good centres in the 2018 draft] develop and get ready for the NHL. 

Would Statsny be a good fit for us compared to what we have now? 

33 minutes ago, REV-G said:

Question. I read today that TVA Sports is saying that they have some evidence that there are plans for Paul Stastny to join Montreal in the off season. The article also said that TSN broadcaster Gord Miller stated the Montreal would be a very possible destination for Tavares this summer. Evidently Miller has been told that Tavares friendship with Price and Weber, an original six team and the tradition and atmosphere of Montreal are all very appealing to Tavares. Plus on the practical side, Montreal would have the cap room to do it while a number of other potential teams would have to move some major assets to make a Tavares addition possible. Interesting to say the least.

But that isn't my question. I don't really follow players not in Montreal very closely so other than his stats I don't know much about Paul Stastny other than he's 32, has maybe underperformed the last few years and has told someone in the media something that would cause them to tweet a prediction that Stastny is coming to Montreal. That's in the TVA Sports article today.

Would Statsny be a good second line centre for us for two years while some of our drafted centres [I'm assuming that along with Ryan Poehling we'll draft one or two good centres in the 2018 draft] develop and get ready for the NHL. 

Would Statsny be a good fit for us compared to what we have now? 

Right now we do not have a single legitimate top-6 C, so of course Stastny would help. I defer to the more expert talent scouts on this site, but if you just look at Stastny's stats, he has been very consistently productive even during his supposedly 'lost' St Louis years. His problem is that he is injury prone. He'd be worth acquiring, but it's guaranteed that signing him will mean overpay at too long a term for a guy who is surely close to a dip in production. He's a bit of a desperation signing. I'd prefer to trade MaxPac for a much younger player who can take on the #1A or 2C position. That way we retain more cap flexibility in the hypothetical 'Tavares' era. Now if we don't get Tavares, Stastny makes a lot of sense for a desperate club. MB may have to make some huge decisions very quickly come July 1.

• Upvote 1

Stastny can be a stop gap number 2 centre.  He's been real good in winnipeg with Laine.  That said, he's not the number 1 that we need, but he is better than what we have. 

My concern would be term.  3 years max. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Right now we do not have a single legitimate top-6 C, so of course Stastny would help. I defer to the more expert talent scouts on this site, but if you just look at Stastny's stats, he has been very consistently productive even during his supposedly 'lost' St Louis years. His problem is that he is injury prone. He'd be worth acquiring, but it's guaranteed that signing him will mean overpay at too long a term for a guy who is surely close to a dip in production. He's a bit of a desperation signing. I'd prefer to trade MaxPac for a much younger player who can take on the #1A or 2C position. That way we retain more cap flexibility in the hypothetical 'Tavares' era. Now if we don't get Tavares, Stastny makes a lot of sense for a desperate club. MB may have to make some huge decisions very quickly come July 1.

IF we can sign Tavares, I’d sign Stasny for two years, but would not want to over commit more than that.  We would have close to the oldest cores in the league - but from the older cores, we’d be one of the few that has one diddley squat.  Other teams with old cores, or committed long-term into the golden years of their cores have actually won something (ducks, hawks, pens, Bruins) or at least been to the finals (sharks).  All of those teams do have young studs in the pipeline.  Smarter teams in the same boat as us, like the rangers had the brains to blow things up.  I see us having a two year window, that Weber is still useful - assuming he comes back string after his surgery.  After that we’ll be stuck with an anchor that is slower, older and with his style probably a lot more injury prone.  

If if we do land Tavares, he’d probably command close to $14m to make up for the ridiculous Quebec taxes.  Which would mean we’d have around $33m tied up on 3 players into their late 30’s.  I get teams that have won with their cores locking them up for that much money (ie Chicago with Seabrook - though I thought the deal sucked at the time, or the ducks), but it makes zero sense for a team that owes nothing to those players to be locked up that long with old men.

i prefer a complete rebuild - with a new GM and management team.

Oldest cores in the league?

LMAO

We'll have our first pick from this year... plus Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Mete, Scherbak, Hudon, Danault, Shaw,  all of those competing for spots in the top 9 forwards, or top 4 D, and all under the age of 26. 

Yeah, we have some vets, but you can't win without some vets. 

We'd be far from having the oldest core in the league. 

Buffalo hasn't laid their cards on the table yet, but if they decide to do a full rebuild (again) then I'd like Bergevin to go after Ryan O'Reilly. But since he's a top centreman available in our division, history suggests he is going to Dallas. 

I actually think that even with the signing of Tavares we would still be one of the youngest teams in the l league.  

I get that our 3 best players would be aging but with some big prime years left.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Oldest cores in the league?

LMAO

We'll have our first pick from this year... plus Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Mete, Scherbak, Hudon, Danault, Shaw,  all of those competing for spots in the top 9 forwards, or top 4 D, and all under the age of 26. 

Yeah, we have some vets, but you can't win without some vets. 

We'd be far from having the oldest core in the league. 

Price 30, signed until 39.  Top 2 dmen, Weber 32 signed into his 40’s.  Petry 30.  If we sign Tavares would be a 7 year contract that would take him to 35 or 36, maxpac 29, 30 when his contact is up, if we resign him would take him to at least 35.    Let’s say we add on Stasny to that at 32.

Only other PROVEN players on our current core that are worth keeping are Byron, Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Drouin.  The rest are garbage.  Byron will be 29 when his contract is up next year.

lekhonan, julsson and Mete show promise, but they can’t be counted on at this point. 

Ao is from the core top dmen and forwards and players we are committed to we are old.

Next year, price’s cap hit will be more than Crosby, Malkin and Kessel, who are the pens top players and multiple cup winners.  Same as Kane and Toews and considerably more than Keith - multiple cup winners. 

Also more than kopitar, quick and doughty - multiple cup winners.

we gave a lot of cap room locked up to aging players who have won squat.  Good SUCCESSFUL teams pay players who have won and that’s were their cap is tied up.  They don’t trade for a guy who has a $7.8m cap hit into his 40’s and has one squat.

58 minutes ago, Davehab said:

I actually think that even with the signing of Tavares we would still be one of the youngest teams in the l league.  

I get that our 3 best players would be aging but with some big prime years left.

And that’s our core.