Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Core is top 9 forwards, top 4 D and #1 goalie. 

We'd have quite a few young players in that group. 

You actually think we have a top 9 forwards or top 4 dmen that can seriously be considered a core of an NHL team????

Thats why we need 2 Cs and at least 1 LHD. 

Thats why we are where we are in the standings. 

Do I think we have 6 wingers? yup... the #1 goalie? yup. ... when healthy we have 2 defencemen in Petry and Weber... and a guy who is close to becoming a top 4 guy in Mete and is just 19.  Juulsen is close to that too... 

This team is better in terms of youth than given credit for. 

44 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Thats why we need 2 Cs and at least 1 LHD. 

Thats why we are where we are in the standings. 

Do I think we have 6 wingers? yup... the #1 goalie? yup. ... when healthy we have 2 defencemen in Petry and Weber... and a guy who is close to becoming a top 4 guy in Mete and is just 19.  Juulsen is close to that too... 

This team is better in terms of youth than given credit for. 

I don't think we need 2 centers. We need someone that can come in with the same skill set as galchenyuk. Someone who is a established center in the NHL, and you have him take galchenyuk under his wing much like the way Cole did for Pacioretty.

Maybe could add one established centre & a top prospect C; or 1 top centre (JT:pray:) & 1 top 4 LH d-man. But doubt they will add more than 2 top quality players.

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

I don't think we need 2 centers. We need someone that can come in with the same skill set as galchenyuk. Someone who is a established center in the NHL, and you have him take galchenyuk under his wing much like the way Cole did for Pacioretty.

I looked at playoff teams in the east and what they had down the middle this season.

Washington: Kuznetsov (78), Backstrom (65), Eller (38)

Pittsburgh: Malkin (96), Crosby (86), Brassard (38), Sheahan (31)

Columbus: Dubois (45), Wennberg (35), Jenner (31)

Philadelphia: Giroux (95), Coutuerier (71), Koeckny (47)

New Jersey: Hirschier (51), Zajac (24 in 61), Boyle (24 in 66)

Boston: Bergeron (61), Krejci (42 in 60),  Backes (31 in 53)

Tampa Bay: Stamkos (86),  Point (64),  Johnson (49)

Toronto: Matthews (57 in 59), Kadri (54), Bozak (42)

So we're comparable to Columbus and New Jersey, both of whom have 20 and unders as their first line centres. These are also teams that try to be heavy on wingers but their poor centres are a problem they both hope to address. Pretty much every other team has a third line centre doing what we expect Danault to do.

We need two centres.

Galchenyuk at Centre is a non-starter.  With this GM and this coach... its a complete non-starter. 

The only question is if you think that Drouin is getting it.  He's had a pretty good run the last 8 weeks or so? is he a top 6 centre?

I'd rather get two legit centres and play him at wing... but I could be convinced to go with Tavares - Drouin - Danault down the middle. 

Count me among the school that says, absolutely, we need two C.

The problem would be halved if this organization had the brains to use Galy at C. But since managerial ego is the top priority, rather than building a winner, this has not been and likely will not be the case. So we need two.

8 hours ago, REV-G said:

Question. I read today that TVA Sports is saying that they have some evidence that there are plans for Paul Stastny to join Montreal in the off season. The article also said that TSN broadcaster Gord Miller stated the Montreal would be a very possible destination for Tavares this summer. Evidently Miller has been told that Tavares friendship with Price and Weber, an original six team and the tradition and atmosphere of Montreal are all very appealing to Tavares. Plus on the practical side, Montreal would have the cap room to do it while a number of other potential teams would have to move some major assets to make a Tavares addition possible. Interesting to say the least.

For the record, the original source of this report is Adrian Dater, the former Denver Post writer who is now heading up an independent site.

16 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

For the record, the original source of this report is Adrian Dater, the former Denver Post writer who is now heading up an independent site.

Who got fired from the Denver Post for sending inappropriate DMs to numerous female readers. 

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I looked at playoff teams in the east and what they had down the middle this season.

Washington: Kuznetsov (78), Backstrom (65), Eller (38)

Pittsburgh: Malkin (96), Crosby (86), Brassard (38), Sheahan (31)

Columbus: Dubois (45), Wennberg (35), Jenner (31)

Philadelphia: Giroux (95), Coutuerier (71), Koeckny (47)

New Jersey: Hirschier (51), Zajac (24 in 61), Boyle (24 in 66)

Boston: Bergeron (61), Krejci (42 in 60),  Backes (31 in 53)

Tampa Bay: Stamkos (86),  Point (64),  Johnson (49)

Toronto: Matthews (57 in 59), Kadri (54), Bozak (42)

So we're comparable to Columbus and New Jersey, both of whom have 20 and unders as their first line centres. These are also teams that try to be heavy on wingers but their poor centres are a problem they both hope to address. Pretty much every other team has a third line centre doing what we expect Danault to do.

We need two centres.

Tavares 

Galchenyuk 

Danault 

Sounds like a pretty good 3, Tavares can mentor both of them. Could turn into 3 good centers.

Now of course that's if Tavares signs here. If not then theres to many pieces to put together to be anywhere close to being a contender for the cup. Which means one thing....... BLOW IT UP.

17 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Tavares 

Galchenyuk 

Danault 

Sounds like a pretty good 3, Tavares can mentor both of them. Could turn into 3 good centers.

Now of course that's if Tavares signs here. If not then theres to many pieces to put together to be anywhere close to being a contender for the cup. Which means one thing....... BLOW IT UP.

It’s not true that we would have to blow it up if we don’t get Tavares. I think there are other avenues to having a competitive team and if Tavares is out of the question, then a player like Stastny could be the start of something new. 

If Stastny is what we’d have to “settle for”, then I’d agree that it would be best to add two centers to the organization. Drouin can play center on a competitive team, but our depth would be extremely thin and what happens when one of them gets injured?

Stepan could be another option as well in addition to any of the above or if the above doesn’t work out.

Point is, we don’t have to “blow it up” if we don’t land Tavares.

As for...

Tavares

Galchenyuk

Danault

I personally prefer that to Tavares - Drouin - Danault but it’s also an unrealistic discussion as has been stated because we didn’t even see Galchenyuk at center in the worst of times. Players like Hudon were used more than him at center this year, I believe. 

23 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It’s not true that we would have to blow it up if we don’t get Tavares. I think there are other avenues to having a competitive team and if Tavares is out of the question, then a player like Stastny could be the start of something new. 

If Stastny is what we’d have to “settle for”, then I’d agree that it would be best to add two centers to the organization. Drouin can play center on a competitive team, but our depth would be extremely thin and what happens when one of them gets injured?

Stepan could be another option as well in addition to any of the above or if the above doesn’t work out.

Point is, we don’t have to “blow it up” if we don’t land Tavares.

As for...

Tavares

Galchenyuk

Danault

I personally prefer that to Tavares - Drouin - Danault but it’s also an unrealistic discussion as has been stated because we didn’t even see Galchenyuk at center in the worst of times. Players like Hudon were used more than him at center this year, I believe. 

Stastny isn't what he was , and now is just a 3rd line center clone of Plekenec. I would rather see Danault 3rd line center, Galchenyuk 2nd line center, and see us try to land a number one center, Either by trade or by signing Tavares.

We need

#1 center 

#1 left wing if we trade Pacioretty 

#1 LD

And up grades over our 5th  & 6th D that's a lot for one off season.

Again if we trade Pacioretty to fill a hole at center or LD then we need to fill a #1 LW.

But I would be happy if the line up looked something like this.

Pacioretty / Tavares / Gallagher 

Drouin  / Galchenyuk / Sherbak 

Lehkonen  / Danault / Shaw 

Carr / Rose / Deslauriers

Thats a pretty good line up right there

Byron and Hudon could be package with some picks to up grade on D.

5 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Stastny isn't what he was , and now is just a 3rd line center clone of Plekenec. I would rather see Danault 3rd line center, Galchenyuk 2nd line center, and see us try to land a number one center, Either by trade or by signing Tavares.

We need

#1 center 

#1 left wing if we trade Pacioretty 

#1 LD

And up grades over our 5th  & 6th D that's a lot for one off season.

Again if we trade Pacioretty to fill a hole at center or LD then we need to fill a #1 LW.

But I would be happy if the line up looked something like this.

Pacioretty / Tavares / Gallagher 

Drouin  / Galchenyuk / Sherbak 

Lehkonen  / Danault / Shaw 

Carr / Rose / Deslauriers

Thats a pretty good line up right there

Byron and Hudon could be package with some picks to up grade on D.

I’d rather hudon than Shaw. More skill, far cheaper. We have deslauries, de la rose, Gallagher to bring a little grit. 

I dont trust shaws head either. 

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

I’d rather hudon than Shaw. More skill, far cheaper. We have deslauries, de la rose, Gallagher to bring a little grit. 

I dont trust shaws head either. 

Yeah but hard headed Bergevin does. His vote is the only one that counts. Since he's the one that traded for him and gave him that contract , he's not going anywhere.

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Yeah but hard headed Bergevin does. His vote is the only one that counts. Since he's the one that traded for him and gave him that contract , he's not going anywhere.

You say that about Shaw but insert Galchenyuk at center where “hard headed Bergevin” said he wouldn’t play. Julien seems almost even more certain about that.

Stastny isn’t great but he’s a stepping stone to icing a competitive team in the near future without mortgaging the future because he is a free agent. 

I don’t think we would be competitive because of Paul Stastny. The team could be competitive because we still have Price, Weber, Pacioretty, Drouin, Gallagher and Galchenyuk.

If Price and Weber don’t return to form any time soon, that’s when the team should “blow things up”. And if people already see things that way, which is possible, then you’re ahead of the curve compared to me. I’m a little more worried

about Price in the long term but am hopeful he can return to form.

Pacioretty-Drouin-Gallagher

Galchenyuk-Stastny-Scherbak

Byron-Danault-Lehkonen

Hudon-Shaw-Deslauriers

N. Holden - Weber

Alzner - Petry

Mete - Reilly

Price

Niemi/Lindgren

That’s not a bad lineup without being so far fetched and I still suggested getting even another center as well (unlikely though). I also think there will be one or two more young kids fighting for the lineup who we aren’t even discussing.

6 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

You say that about Shaw but insert Galchenyuk at center where “hard headed Bergevin” said he wouldn’t play. Julien seems almost even more certain about that.

Stastny isn’t great but he’s a stepping stone to icing a competitive team in the near future without mortgaging the future because he is a free agent. 

I don’t think we would be competitive because of Paul Stastny. The team could be competitive because we still have Price, Weber, Pacioretty, Drouin, Gallagher and Galchenyuk.

If Price and Weber don’t return to form any time soon, that’s when the team should “blow things up”. And if people already see things that way, which is possible, then you’re ahead of the curve compared to me. I’m a little more worried

Byron-Danault-Lehkonen

Hudon-Shaw-Deslauriers

N. Holden - Weber

Alzner - Petry

Mete - Reilly

Price

Niemi/Lindgren

That’s not a bad lineup without being so far fetched and I still suggested getting even another center as well (unlikely though). I also think there will be one or two more young kids fighting for the lineup who we aren’t even discussing.

Drouin-Stastny is not going to cut it down the middle, IMHO, unless Drouin takes a major step forward at that position. Stastny is guaranteed to miss about 20 games and will be what, 33? We need two legit top-6 C and Stastny should not be the go-to, lynchpin guy but rather the #2 or #1A guy. 

6 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

[...] The team could be competitive because we still have Price, Weber, Pacioretty, Drouin, Gallagher and Galchenyuk. [...]

Byron-Danault-Lehkonen

Hudon-Shaw-Deslauriers

N. Holden - Weber

Alzner - Petry

Mete - Reilly

Price

Niemi/Lindgren

I also think we would be competitve if Price, Weber,  Petry, Pacioretty, Drouin, Chucky, Gally perform to expectations next season. My line up would be a bit different,  I prefer some new top talent to push current roster platyers down instead of keeping some of our guys higher:

Pacioretty- <<The Mythical 1C>> -Lenkohnen

Galcheynuk-Drouin-Gallagher

Byron-Danault-Scherbak

Deslauriers-delaRose-A.Shaw

(This would push Hudon,Carr, Froese, L. Shaw, McCarron, Rychel out of the lineup )

<<Stud 1LD>>-Weber

<<A solid #4>>-Petry

Two out of (Rielly, Benn, Alzner, Juulsen, Mete, Valiev, Lernout)

I think this lineup would make the playoffs. Depending on who the new guys are, it could make us cup contenders

13 hours ago, Commandant said:

Who got fired from the Denver Post for sending inappropriate DMs to numerous female readers. 

and?

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I also think we would be competitve if Price, Weber,  Petry, Pacioretty, Drouin, Chucky, Gally perform to expectations next season. My line up would be a bit different,  I prefer some new top talent to push current roster platyers down instead of keeping some of our guys higher:

Pacioretty- <<The Mythical 1C>> -Lenkohnen

Galcheynuk-Drouin-Gallagher

Byron-Danault-Scherbak

Deslauriers-delaRose-A.Shaw

(This would push Hudon,Carr, Froese, L. Shaw, McCarron, Rychel out of the lineup )

<<Stud 1LD>>-Weber

<<A solid #4>>-Petry

Two out of (Rielly, Benn, Alzner, Juulsen, Mete, Valiev, Lernout)

I think this lineup would make the playoffs. Depending on who the new guys are, it could make us cup contenders

So they just have to add a piece they haven't been able to forever and two top four defencemen?

Yeah that's easy peasy.

9 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Byron-Danault-Lehkonen

Hudon-Shaw-Deslauriers

N. Holden - Weber

Alzner - Petry

Mete - Reilly

Price

Niemi/Lindgren

Galchenyuk at center all depends on if we land Tavares. If we can land Tavares, you get him to mentor Galchenyuk, Galchenyuk could be a Tavares clone if mentored and develop right. If we don't land Tavares then yes Galchenyuk will sadly be wasted on the wing here in Montreal.

1 minute ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

So they just have to add a piece they haven't been able to forever and two top four defencemen?

Yeah that's easy peasy.

To me is either the add that piece now or they blow up the team and follow the leaf's path.

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

To me is either the add that piece now or they blow up the team and follow the leaf's path.

Same GM who decided his summer was complete by losing Markov and Radulov and adding Alzner, Streit, and Hemsky.

Yeah this team needs to be blown up. 

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

We need to may pieces to add  for one off season. This isnt a one off season turn over. But we can add pieces this off season to be a playoff team again.  Here is the question is it worth it? Or is it better to blow it up and do a full rebuild. I know its been talked about all ready but think about what's best for this team in the long run.

8 minutes ago, Metallica said:

We need to may pieces to add  for one off season. This isnt a one off season turn over. But we can add pieces this off season to be a playoff team again.  Here is the question is it worth it? Or is it better to blow it up and do a full rebuild. I know its been talked about all ready but think about what's best for this team in the long run.

I personally don't want a rebuild; and for me the only way the PK trade makes sense is if we win a cup with Price/Weber.

So, following that logic: for me either we get the missing pieces or we blow it up. To me that is : a legit 1C, a legit 1LD and a solid LD to let Petry loose

Edited by alfredoh2009
Lose vs Loose