Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hitler? We're bringing up Hitler?

Come on man.  Get a ####ing grip on reality. 

Actually the parallel is with Chamberlain.   if you’ve taken any risk management, or change management training at all - which it’s obvious you haven’t-  the Chamberlain example is used a lot.

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Actually the parallel is with Chamberlain.   if you’ve taken any risk management, or change management training at all - which it’s obvious you haven’t-  the Chamberlain example is used a lot.

I have a business degree and a law degress, so don't lecture me on risk management. 

There is still no reason to compare hockey to WWII. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I have a business degree and a law degress, so don't lecture me on risk management. 

The analogy is used in business ALL the time. 

And for for someone who likes to lectures others in every 3rd or 4th post your pretty friggin touchy yourself.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

See the source image

It's less chill and more... let's get back to Permanent Rumours.

Like how people think they know what Paul Stastny and John Tavares are planning to do when the regular season isn't over and both would consider Montreal. As I've heard "rumours" for both. 

(Tavares is a pipe dream. Stastny? More likely. Though I'm sure some old guys would feel weird seeing STASTNY on a Habs uniform.)

2 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

It's less chill and more... let's get back to Permanent Rumours.

Like how people think they know what Paul Stastny and John Tavares are planning to do when the regular season isn't over and both would consider Montreal. As I've heard "rumours" for both. 

(Tavares is a pipe dream. Stastny? More likely. Though I'm sure some old guys would feel weird seeing STASTNY on a Habs uniform.)

I agree on Tavares, but of 1/2 decent teams WITH room to add a huge contract, the Habs arnt in a big group of teams, from what I have heard anyways...so is a small chance at least.

I think the idea that the Habs have "no chance" with Tavares is a ricochet off the longstanding idea that UFAs don't sign here.

But they do. In 2010, we ran the table on all the top UFAs in the market, despite coming off an organizational melt-down. We attracted Radulov, we (regrettably) signed Alzner, we signed Petry. Etc. I think this idea that free agents avoid Montreal like the plague is a myth. So I refuse to be defeatist about it before it's even begun.

Admittedly, some guys are fame-shy, like Lecavalier; and those guys will steer clear. But other guys eat it up, and many others just take it as part of the package. IF Tavares is - as some reports suggest - an old-school guy who likes the idea of classic franchises and is comfortable in the spotlight, then the Habs will be right in the mix. Assuming NYI doesn't sign him in the end.

If Tavares does get to July 1st, then we have to assume that he at least talks to Montreal.

Reasons why it's plausible he signs here:

*His agent and Bergevin have a great relationship 

*Montreal has the cap room 

*He adds to the current team without having to move out parts to make him fit

*Team Canada buddies Price and Weber signed long term

*High draft pick and lots of youth on the team

*He arguably fills a need on this team more than any other team

*Great poutine

I won't get into the reasons why he wouldn't sign 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think the idea that the Habs have "no chance" with Tavares is a ricochet off the longstanding idea that UFAs don't sign here.

But they do. In 2010, we ran the table on all the top UFAs in the market, despite coming off an organizational melt-down. We attracted Radulov, we (regrettably) signed Alzner, we signed Petry. Etc. I think this idea that free agents avoid Montreal like the plague is a myth. So I refuse to be defeatist about it before it's even begun.

Admittedly, some guys are fame-shy, like Lecavalier; and those guys will steer clear. But other guys eat it up, and many others just take it as part of the package. IF Tavares is - as some reports suggest - an old-school guy who likes the idea of classic franchises and is comfortable in the spotlight, then the Habs will be right in the mix. Assuming NYI doesn't sign him in the end.

Nah, like I said, I think Stastny is a good possibility to come to Montreal. He's 32, will probably be looking to get paid, knows he fills a role in Montreal. Maybe he decides to chase a ring instead or feels like his experience in Winnipeg makes him realize he needs a team where he isn't the #1C on the depth chart but otherwise, Montreal would pay him better than anyone else. Tavares would be the biggest star to hit free agency since Zach Parise from my memory (Stamkos didn't really hit free agency). If Tavares comes to Montreal it's because he wants to play here. It wouldn't be due to a logical decision.

Tavares Team Canada buddy is P.K. Subban, lets be clear. 

Its not a pair of BC Boys... its the kid he grew up with. 

The buddies argument isn't a good one as its not likely that P.K. has a good report on Bergevin and co. 

Not that I think that is the be all and end all, and still think its a chance (but a small one) that he signs with the Habs, i just don't think the buddies argument is a great one. 

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Tavares Team Canada buddy is P.K. Subban, lets be clear. 

Its not a pair of BC Boys... its the kid he grew up with. 

The buddies argument isn't a good one as its not likely that P.K. has a good report on Bergevin and co. 

Not that I think that is the be all and end all, and still think its a chance (but a small one) that he signs with the Habs, i just don't think the buddies argument is a great one. 

Tavares only has one friend on Team Canada?

From what I have heard him and Weber are actually really good friends.

Yes PK is a childhood friend but that doesn’t mean he is attached to him at the hip.

Didn't say he was attached to him at the hip. 

Said of the three he's closest with P.K. and is likely to seek his advice before signing with Montreal, and I doubt that advice will be positive. 

It might not be enough to sway him, but again I doubt he's getting a good report from someone he is close to. 

Claiming to know who is better friends is pure speculation, but what type of personality do you think is more similar to John Tavares; PK Subban or Price and Weber? To me Tavares is the exact mold of the latter and fits in extremely well with this group. And just for fun, here is a pic of B.C boy Weber and Tavares hanging out in the off season last summer 

19204835_325109281255407_1081104801_o.jp

• Upvote 1

While I am sure he would ask PK about Montreal because he is indeed a good friend.

I think the opinion of a good friend currently playing for Montreal might hold some weight to him as well, considering he would be playing with him for many years to come and with PK he will not.

1 hour ago, Scott462 said:

Tavares only has one friend on Team Canada?

From what I have heard him and Weber are actually really good friends.

Yes PK is a childhood friend but that doesn’t mean he is attached to him at the hip.

Who actually said they are even friendly?

Playing together as a youth, maybe Tavares has had already his fill of that ex-hab? He didnt rub all his ex-teammates the right way that is for sure (Gallagher seems to be one of those and likely could add DD and Plekanec who mixed it up with the ex-hab at numerous practices).

I think we all have played with guys who were goofballs in our youth; but were not friends with, simply teammates.

But, they could be best buds for all I know, I just haven't ever heard ever Tavares say that.

Subban would give a positive review of Montreal as a city and place to play for Tavares. He would be negative about Bergevin, but I have no doubt in my mind he would endorse the city to any of his friends.

But he'd also endorse Nashville, and probably talk Poile into trading Johansen to make room for Tavares if John wanted to come to the Preds. And if he wanted to come to the Predators, there's absolutely nothing Price and Weber could say to change his mind.

(also the personality thing is silly since the dynamic of Tavares/Subban was always odd couple.)

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There were plenty of videos on TSN detailing their friendship.  Many are on youtube.  Its quite obvious watching them that PK and Tavares are close.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsYO1a-Vupo

Anything from this decade?

And Machine makes a great point. Why wouldn't PK endorse Montreal? He loved it there, he donated there, he wanted to win there, he cried upon his return, he loved the fans. 

The city, sure. 

But if Tavares is leaving New york, its likely to do with not being impressed with Isles management.  He's going to want a good GM who is putting together a team to win it all. 

I still see the Habs as a real longshot here.  

I think he re-signs with the Isles and if he doesn't, I see the Rangers, San Jose, Columbus, all ahead of Montreal.

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The city, sure. 

But if Tavares is leaving New york, its likely to do with not being impressed with Isles management.  He's going to want a good GM who is putting together a team to win it all. 

I still see the Habs as a real longshot here.  

I think he re-signs with the Isles and if he doesn't, I see the Rangers, San Jose, Columbus, all ahead of Montreal.

Seeing as he said on a popular sports radio station in New York that he f'n hated the Rangers, which was out of character for him since he's usually shy and boring, I'd say he doesn't want to become a complete villain in Brooklyn by going there.

San Jose makes a lot of sense, Columbus I never thought of. Tavares/Dubois would give them a good middle for the first time in a while. Tavares/Barzal would be hard to leave though. He's a rookie PPG centre!

17 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Seeing as he said on a popular sports radio station in New York that he f'n hated the Rangers, which was out of character for him since he's usually shy and boring, I'd say he doesn't want to become a complete villain in Brooklyn by going there.

San Jose makes a lot of sense, Columbus I never thought of. Tavares/Dubois would give them a good middle for the first time in a while. Tavares/Barzal would be hard to leave though. He's a rookie PPG centre!

If he leaves, its not barzal he's leaving... its Garth Snow.

One thing that might help montreal... if the frustration in Long Island is due to the fact that none of the Isles goalies can stop the puck and the Isles didn't get a goalie at the deadline, maybe he wants to play with Price for that reason. 

Still I think this is all a long shot.